Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Toyota Matrix AWD not working

Scoot55Scoot55 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2019 in Toyota
I recently bought 2006 Toyota Matrix AWD with 100K miles. I noticed when we got our first snowfall the AWD wasn't working. Front wheel slip but no back wheel slip or traction. Took it to Toyota and they found a partially seized rear drum driver side which technician said was problem. He adjusted the rear drum as the solution. This was last night so I haven't had a chance to test it but my hunch is that the issue is more involved then simple adjustment. As anyone heard of seized rear drum causing AWD to not work? Can it be that simple? I like to think Toyota would know what they are doing but seems to easy.

Best Answer

• Scoot55Scoot55 Member Posts: 2
    Answer ✓
    I didn't make the ABS connection. It does make sense. We will give the AWD a good test this weekend. I did watch several YouTube vids on the topic and learned a lot about AWD systems and that they don't respond how one might think!

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I'm not a mechanic, but most simple FWD-based AWD systems use the ABS sensors to detect slippage, and re-route power to the rear wheels. So, having a seized brake could definitely throw that whole system off.

I find it's really hard to detect when the AWD system is working on most similar cars (my experience is with CR-Vs)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator