Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Ecodiesel Full Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Jeep
image2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Ecodiesel Full Test

Edmunds' Full Test of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Ecodiesel. Includes instrumented test data, photos and specifications.

Read the full story here

Comments

• emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Nice that they put a small diesel in a midsize SUV. That's been needed for awhile now. Two problems with this vehicle: $52K starting price means you'd have to be a fool to buy one new. Air suspension means you'd have to be a fool to buy one used.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    You can cut the price a bit, but on the lowest trim level where the diesel is available, the Limited, the cheapest it will get is $46k, and the diesel is a $7,500 upgrade because it is bundled with a premium package. The diesel will make you feel good when you do the mpg math at each fillup, but it's a kick in crotch when it's time to sign on the bottom line at the dealership. Sometimes I think that the US manufacturers don't actually WANT to sell diesels here.
  • tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    Interesting article - I don't think the EXTRA cost for the diesel would pay back at the pump, unless you keep the thing really "long term." As per the article quote - How Does it Rate in Terms of Interior Comfort? Stated quote @ at more than $50,000 - Actually more appropriately 'maybe' it should read at nearly $60,000 thousand dollars ($57,190 + tax and other fee's) just say'in....
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @bankerdanny: They do. But the $7.5K isn't actually all profit, about 2/3 of that is required to cover the cost of the emissions control equipment.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Sorry Duck, I disagree. In Europe diesels are available pretty much at all trim levels even on the cheapest economy cars. On the GC, the lowest trim level with a diesel option is $7,000 more than the cost of teh base GC, PLUS, on top of the $4,500 upcharge for the engine, you a forced to buy a $3,000 luxury package. So really, the cheapest diesel GC 4x4 costs $14,500 more than the cheapest gas powered GC 4x4. 46% more! That tells me that Jeep really doesn't care if they sell many diesels.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    It looks like the JGC should be able to achieve or even beat the EPA ratings with this diesel. On Edmunds combined testing loop it scored 27.4 mpg versus a rating of 21/28/24. I presume the lower overall result was from journalists giving it lead foot tests.
  • krusteazkrusteaz Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I purchased a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the eco-diesel a month ago. Jeep has really good lease rates, which made it affordable after negotiating at just over $415/mo for a $50k rig with only a couple thousand down.

Compared to our 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi, the Diesel actually feels quicker from a stoplight and the ride has been improved. Fuel Economy on the Hemi was about 15mpg with my wife's 50/50 commute, with the diesel she is getting 24.2mpg thus far. A huge improvement. The ZF sourced transmission is very smooth and perfectly matched to the diesel. Also the improved U-Connect is fantastic and very easy to use. I just wish that the display was tilted slightly towards the driver to reduce reach.
  • pinkscarf80pinkscarf80 Member Posts: 1
    Love our Jeep Grand Cherokee with HEMI...when it decides it wants to turn on...
  • dvj2012dvj2012 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Eco-Diesel about a year ago and have been in and out of the shop once a moth over this last year getting the CEL reset and parts replaced and DEF fluids drained and refilled half way. At this point I would tell anyone who thinks that they want a Jeep Eco-Diesel to take their money elsewhere. Not worth the $$$
  • Riley310619Riley310619 Member Posts: 1
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel Limited is all bad. I can't stand it. I have been back and forth to the dealer and the same old thing. I am about to hire an attorney who deals with the California Lemon Law can this is a mess. I agree not worth the money.
  • sonic3sonic3 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2020
    Consider that the Diesel fuel is 20% more expensive than the regular gasoline. Then, price-wise, the MPG range doesn't seem that impressive, the 24 MPG Diesel costs as much as 20 MPG regular gas.
    Paying extra $5000 for 20 MPG versus 16 MPG (with HEMI) doesn't sound so good, does it? Let's see:
    That is 0.05 versus 0.0625 of gal/mile, equal to 0.0125 gallon (of regular)/mile saved. Time that with 2.65 $/gal equals 0.033125 $/mile.
    To recap that extra money will pay off in 5000 / 0.033125 =150943 miles
    This is if you paid cash for that. If you borrowed money, add interest to that equation, it drags even longer... like 200k miles.