Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

Thanksgiving was nice. Spent part with dad in the rehab place and watched the Bears game. :) His memory was better. Had dinner with friends afterward. I had the best turkey and pumpkin roll I've ever had.

Oh, those look tasty! Glad to hear that your father his headed in the right direction!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    Update - just opened the bottle of Maker's 46. I retract my earlier statement. It's a very good bourbon, but I think Four Roses Single Barrel is noticeably smoother.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Took the Tacoma in for service, today. My son dropped it off to me this morning, and took the Fit. When I got home with the Tacoma, I let him know.

Doesn’t look like he is bringing the Fit back. 👀

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I believe in the biz that’s called Grand Theft Auto
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,510
    well, he did leave a trade in!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Smitty_7Smitty_7 Member Posts: 2
    breld said:

I'm gonna admit it - I like the newly revealed Mustang Mach-E.

I know the potential sacrilege with Ford attaching the Mustang name to the vehicle, but I like the styling cues.

The main thing that gives me pause is the pricing - $60k for a nicely equipped model (before incentives). Personally, I've assumed these new entrants into the EV world from the non-luxury brands would have to undercut Tesla. Not that they're available yet, but a nicely equipped long-range AWD Model Y is $53k.

I'll be curious as to how VW prices its first ID model next year.

I'm with you I really like the Mach-E's styling as well. I'm in the EV market and I've been going back and forth looking at all the different pricing options.

If anyone's interested I've found a bunch of information on the Mach-E from this forum - https://www.macheclub.com/
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I would be afraid to buy a new model Ford the first year - a good lease, however.....
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Ordered winter shoes for the X, for the upcoming nordic and downhill ski season. They don't make the Michelin Xi3 like I had and liked on the Volvo in this size. So I went Nokian this time. Not cheap, but cheaper than ending up in a ditch in the north Cascades.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I put Blizzaks on the V90 last week and it fared very well through our latest storm.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited December 2019
    tifighter said:

Ordered winter shoes for the X, for the upcoming nordic and downhill ski season. They don't make the Michelin Xi3 like I had and liked on the Volvo in this size. So I went Nokian this time. Not cheap, but cheaper than ending up in a ditch in the north Cascades.

Well, at least you "had to settle" for an excellent tire!

Can you put after market wheels on Tesla vehicles? If so, can you also do alternate sizing on them? With the big rim craze still in full swing, I like to go -1 or -2 on my winter wheels.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    The maintenance required message came up on my Tacoma’s dash, so I made an appointment to bring it in. I asked what’s included in the 1st service (5,000 miles) with Toyota Care. It is a tire rotation and fluid top off. The local dealer doesn’t have loaner cars, but they do rent cars out on the cheap side. It’s cold here and I don’t feel comfortable driving the Prelude with its worn out performance tires to work. Plus it saves my wife the trouble of having to drive across town to pick me up tonight and drop me off tomorrow. Only 5 miles each way, but can take close to 45/50 minutes round trip during rush hour. So for $34 and change including tax I rented a 2019 Camry SE with about 10K on the odometer. I don’t like what I’m about to say, but it isn’t half bad. I actually kind of like it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,976
    45-50 minutes to travel 10 miles? Painful. Almost as bad is our commute home in the evening which is about 25 miles typically taking an hour and a half or more. It wears on you.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

It’s very congested where we are, especially during rush hour. The Toyota dealership is on the other side of I-95. It normally would be a 10 minute drive each way.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    There's an X in my neighborhood with especially dbaggy black aftermarket wheels and "yellow wall" tires.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Out of focus, but notable for two main reasons coming back from Buttonwillow the other week.

I reset the gas computer as track mileage ruins the averages, and the car did as good as you can do with 350+ HP tuned and short 6-speed DSG gearing, over 28 MPG!

Secondly, I averaged (AVERAGED) over 70 MPH on this almost 200 mile stint through Socal. On second thought, since the speed limit is 70 MPH (max) in CA, it must have occurred in Mexico, for the record.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited December 2019
    xwesx said:

With the big rim craze still in full swing, I like to go -1 or -2 on my winter wheels.

I don't see the big OE rims going away anytime soon. I feel like the aftermarket tire market has caught up to the point where you can get relatively inexpensive tires (compared to OE tires) in most common sizes at a fairly reasonable price. People like the look, and I also think OE suspensions are now better tuned for a wider variety of wheel/tire sizes (versus 1-2 in the old days).
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

The maintenance required message came up on my Tacoma’s dash, so I made an appointment to bring it in. I asked what’s included in the 1st service (5,000 miles) with Toyota Care. It is a tire rotation and fluid top off. The local dealer doesn’t have loaner cars, but they do rent cars out on the cheap side. It’s cold here and I don’t feel comfortable driving the Prelude with its worn out performance tires to work. Plus it saves my wife the trouble of having to drive across town to pick me up tonight and drop me off tomorrow. Only 5 miles each way, but can take close to 45/50 minutes round trip during rush hour. So for $34 and change including tax I rented a 2019 Camry SE with about 10K on the odometer. I don’t like what I’m about to say, but it isn’t half bad. I actually kind of like it.

My son is getting a little “itch”. Went with him to test drive a Camry v6 XSE. I concur with you. I was dully impressed. Why someone would buy a Lexus over the Camry V6 is beyond me.

Not a sports car, but very refined with nice materials and all the Toyota reliability. He’s going to drive an Accord Sport 2.0T, also. Never thought he’d be willing to move from a GTI to one of those cars.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    He’s going to miss the GTI
    xwesx said:

tifighter said:

Can you put after market wheels on Tesla vehicles? If so, can you also do alternate sizing on them? With the big rim craze still in full swing, I like to go -1 or -2 on my winter wheels.
    We have the factory 20" wheels; smallest you can go on the Performance is 19" to clear the brakes. Not sure if it is the same on the standard cars. I'll keep the winters on these wheels and get a different wheelset next spring for the other tires, but plan to stick with the 20" there too. The 22" is a little over the top for me...

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Not a huge surprise given sales. Pretty soon if you want a sedan it's going to have to be an import or luxury make.

I'm surprised they couldn't have come up with some sort of good leasing program to get more sold. It's not a bad car by any means and the GS version is actually pretty nice IMO.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080
    Once they sold Opel to PSA, I don't think they wanted to sell any. There was zero marketing. I really liked my 2011 Regal Turbo, but the updated 2018 model didn't appeal to me at all.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

Once they sold Opel to PSA, I don't think they wanted to sell any. There was zero marketing. I really liked my 2011 Regal Turbo, but the updated 2018 model didn't appeal to me at all.

Same here in the states.. They made the lease program so bad, you couldn't even consider it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

tifighter said:

xwesx said:

tifighter said:

We have the factory 20" wheels; smallest you can go on the Performance is 19" to clear the brakes. Not sure if it is the same on the standard cars. I'll keep the winters on these wheels and get a different wheelset next spring for the other tires, but plan to stick with the 20" there too. The 22" is a little over the top for me...
    So, it sounds like aftermarket is an option. That's nice, even if there is not much flexibility in sizing. I do like to have all my tires mounted year-round. It reduces wear and tear on the tires, the rims, and on me! :D
    Yeah, I think Tire Rack alone has something like 30+ styles of aftermarket wheels for the X.

@xwesx considering a Model X to replace the Q7? How do those things fare in the extreme cold?
    Maybe I need another hemi in my life.
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/259150398

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'd swap the equinox for that in a hot minute.

If only it had come up for sale a few mos ago. :(

qbrozen said:

If only it had come up for sale a few mos ago. :(
    So make the Equinox disappear.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    The 2008 Magnum SRT has a bit more cohesive styling; if one ever turns up around me I'd be sorely tempted.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The 2008 Magnum SRT has a bit more cohesive styling; if one ever turns up around me I'd be sorely tempted.

it would just fail miserably as a winter beater for me. ;b

not bad looking at all. I could try that if I needed a bad weather beater. I almost bought a 2005 3 series at that dealer, and just drove past it a week ago. TJC probably goes past that quite often too (well, maybe not so much going forward!)

with the miles, price seems fair if it is as clean as it looks.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Drove a hemi in a Challenger at work today. Another driver who followed me from West Palm Beach down to Ft. Lauderdale said he heard me the whole way, as he was only a few vehicles behind me on the turnpike. That sucker was a bit loud and even heard it over the radio set to a very high number!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    After two days, think this new Enterprise gig is a good fit. So much closer to home, took me about 8 minutes to get home tonight even with traffic. About 3 lights and then I come in behind the Audi dealer, the short cut. And driving less than 7 miles a day those days I do work as compared to the 60 I was doing at Hertz. Am starting to meet a few more folks now so in time, will get to know more by name. There's over 30 drivers so, a lot of folks to meet. And we all don't work the same schedule. Almost all are retired guys like me who work a couple to a few days a week. There's even three women I hear. I just got used to the younger folks I worked with at Hertz. And I only had a few days to say good-bye...it was kind of rushed as Enterprise needed me to start this week.
    All in all, the right move for me. No looking back now till I decide to retire again, maybe next year.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited December 2019
    qbrozen said:

@kyfdx this could be an option if your son doesn't bring back the Fit.

The accident reported when it was less than two years old concerns me - that could have been a lot of damage and not totaled a two year old car.
    Good luck with the new gig, Sandy!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    qbrozen said:

My wife will complain about everything when she rides in the beater. "it smells funny. it's making noise. why haven't you gotten rid of the dead body in the back?" It is nonstop. She doesn't understand the beater concept.

Hell, she worries me when it comes to new cars. Last week, as she is going OUT the door: "I can't take the van because some light is on that means the car will quit." WHAT?! What light is that?! When did it come on and you didn't tell me? "I don't know. I don't think it is the engine light. It is something else. Bye!" Long story short, it was the check engine light for loose gas cap. Again.

Then this morning, again as she is leaving, "the oil light is on in the BMW." What do you mean? Low oil? "I think it wants an oil change. So I can't drive it." Turns out it is the service indicator telling her, in plain English, that she will be due for an oil change in another 1500 miles.

My theory, for many women, is that a car is simply a closet on tires.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

@kyfdx this could be an option if your son doesn't bring back the Fit.

The accident reported when it was less than two years old concerns me - that could have been a lot of damage and not totaled a two year old car.
    Hmmm... I do like wagons. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,984
    Ooo, I just peeked at that Magnum ad - AWD would work well here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

corvette said:

I find it less concerning when the owner continues to hold onto it and drive it for years after.

qbrozen said:

corvette said:

I find it less concerning when the owner continues to hold onto it and drive it for years after.
    Agreed. If you see an accident on the carfax from November, then the car was traded in or sold in December or January, then there was a problem with how the car drives or was repaired.

After 10 years if it still looks and drives fine, not likely to be an issue.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

He’s going to miss the GTI

Yeah.....I think you’re right. I think he’s being “influenced” by the female in his life right now.

Still, I’d consider either of those, if I was in the market.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

qbrozen said:

My wife will complain about everything when she rides in the beater. "it smells funny. it's making noise. why haven't you gotten rid of the dead body in the back?" It is nonstop. She doesn't understand the beater concept.

Hell, she worries me when it comes to new cars. Last week, as she is going OUT the door: "I can't take the van because some light is on that means the car will quit." WHAT?! What light is that?! When did it come on and you didn't tell me? "I don't know. I don't think it is the engine light. It is something else. Bye!" Long story short, it was the check engine light for loose gas cap. Again.

Then this morning, again as she is leaving, "the oil light is on in the BMW." What do you mean? Low oil? "I think it wants an oil change. So I can't drive it." Turns out it is the service indicator telling her, in plain English, that she will be due for an oil change in another 1500 miles.

This is accurate.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    I've long joked that upmarket CUVs/SUVs, especially the RX, are designer handbags on wheels.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Found this at the Grapevine Rest Stop parking lot. Definitely at least one vehicle I think @fintail would take home at the right price.

@abacomike @driver100 might pick at least one of these too! @mb_enthusiast might take three!

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    corvette said:

@xwesx considering a Model X to replace the Q7? How do those things fare in the extreme cold?

No, not at all. I was just curious about *his* Model X. :D

And, while the Cybertruck is intriguing, I would much rather have a Rivian offering if choosing between them.

Speaking of the Q7, though.... just turned over 90,000 miles on the way home last night.

And then, as if thumbing its nose at me, it wouldn't start this morning. I had to jump it with the Forester. Of course, it *was* -10F (~ -23C) this morning, but I had its engine warmed up, so that shouldn't have been an excuse.