Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    andres3 said:

Found this at the Grapevine Rest Stop parking lot. Definitely at least one vehicle I think @fintail would take home at the right price.

Wow. There's a LOT of money riding on that tractor!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Yeah, and out in the breeze at that. The "cars as art objects" set would sooner eat dirt than ship a car in something that isn't enclosed. Those of us who actually use our vehicles, especially where it snows and/or on gravel roads look at it differently.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Looks like a fresh load from Europe, as none of these are US-build models.

I'd take the G, perhaps, if it isn't an AMG. Surprised the most expensive vehicle in the lot is at rear, where I'd imagine it might be more prone to damage.
    andres3 said:

Found this at the Grapevine Rest Stop parking lot. Definitely at least one vehicle I think @fintail would take home at the right price.

fintail said:

Looks like a fresh load from Europe, as none of these are US-build models.

I'd take the G, perhaps, if it isn't an AMG. Surprised the most expensive vehicle in the lot is at rear, where I'd imagine it might be more prone to damage.

andres3 said:

Helps the rugged image? :D
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    West Coast either ships into Long Beach or Port Hueneme (Y-knee-me).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:

West Coast either ships into Long Beach or Port Hueneme (Y-knee-me).

I believe Audi ships to a San Diego port.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Somehow that's not how I describe the typical new AMG G buyer B)
    xwesx said:

Helps the rugged image? :D

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I love this ad. "Repaired to original condition."
    OK, so original condition was misaligned panels, dented door, and shredded paint? I actually had to email the seller to ask if they had any AFTER pics. I'm not expecting a reply.
    Terrain for sale

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    That Terrain looks like it left the factory with white paint. Looks like a rattle can paint job. Painting over the chrome without prepping it, causing the paint to delaminate, is a nice touch.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Wow, that thing is trashed. How can they even put that ad up with a straight face.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

OK, so original condition was misaligned panels, dented door, and shredded paint? I actually had to email the seller to ask if they had any AFTER pics. I'm not expecting a reply.
    Terrain for sale

That is worth $6,500 if there is a bag of $7,000 in cash in the back seat. Good lord! Are people THAT desperate?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    qbrozen said:

Terrain for sale

A little buff and that will clean up real nice.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

qbrozen said:

Terrain for sale

A little buff and that will clean up real nice.
    Maybe a little but you'll ruin your buffer trying.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    edited December 2019
    Good thing that they have the paper sheets to protect the floor carpet.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    The color I like but prefer tan interior. And that’s a touring so lighter on options. A blue over tan stick GT would be perfect!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

qbrozen said:

Terrain for sale

Wow. That car has had a rough life! Only 86,000 miles, and it looks like it should be 286K. :(
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    nyccarguy said:
    Hard enough to sell a Mazda 6 with a transmission most people can actually use. :laughing:

That is a real deal I think.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Gran Detroit Farm and Country Turbo, John Hughes car casting genius at work.
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

Terrain for sale

Wow. That car has had a rough life! Only 86,000 miles, and it looks like it should be 286K. :(
    Other than the guy selling it, who says it doesn't?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:
    Hard enough to sell a Mazda 6 with a transmission most people can actually use. :laughing:

Red 6–spd sold in orlando auction for $12.5k. Asking price is OK but I bet they’d let it go for $15k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Red 6–spd sold in orlando auction for $12.5k. Asking price is OK but I bet they’d let it go for $15k.
    But it is a RARE 6-SPEED!

edited December 2019
    qbrozen said:

Terrain for sale

“I see you have a theft recovery Terrain. Looks like the vandals spray painted it black, and even painted the trim. Do you have any pictures now that you’ve repaired it?” :D
    nyccarguy said:

But it is a RARE 6-SPEED!

You must be the seller. ;b

As the buyer, I say "ew. nobody wants a manual."

Speaking of manuals, I blew my knee out last night at volleyball. I can't even walk on it right now. I couldn't help but think "having a manual would really suck right now." Not that I'm driving at the moment, but I did have to get myself home last night by driving with my left foot. Sure, I could have managed, in a pinch, to get home with a manual, but it would not have been smooth, and certainly not something I'd want to do if I didn't absolutely have to.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    sorry to hear. Life as an aging athlete. And the right leg is a double whammy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The left leg is what you need to drive a stick though. As someone with a bad left knee I could never deal with a clutch pedal now.

qbrozen said:

Speaking of manuals, I blew my knee out last night at volleyball. I can't even walk on it right now. I couldn't help but think "having a manual would really suck right now." Not that I'm driving at the moment, but I did have to get myself home last night by driving with my left foot. Sure, I could have managed, in a pinch, to get home with a manual, but it would not have been smooth, and certainly not something I'd want to do if I didn't absolutely have to.

Ouch! Feel better!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    That totally sucks. Luckily my knees are both fine, the spine...not so hot!
    Like the Mazda and the color but not the manual. More of an auto tranny guy here. And I just hate the Mazda infotainment set-ups with the screen on top but the controls on the console area. Too confusing and one must take one's eyes off the driving to do certain things. Prefer all the controls up top, front and center.
    Lastly, read some great news in the latest Car & Driver. They had a pic of the new 2020 VW Golf and really liked it, a lot! It only grows about an inch and a half in length which is perfect. They've tweaked the headlights and tail lights and changed the interior a bit. A larger infotainment tablet style screen and the shifter is a lot smaller with no pull-up "e" brake like I have now. As much as I'm wanting one of the small CUV's from Hyundai or Kia, this new discovery has me changing my thinking a bit. Depending on the models that the U S market gets for the regular Golf's and their pricing, I could be talked into a new one if it drives better than the other ones on my short list. Definitely has changed direction for my new vehicle search. As much as I want one, might be best to wait till the second year production of whatever I look at. Have already done a first year model twice now, something I've said I'd never do again!
    All I know, the moment I saw the article, I was hooked!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

ab348 said:

The left leg is what you need to drive a stick though. As someone with a bad left knee I could never deal with a clutch pedal now.

I contend that you need BOTH legs to drive 3 pedals.

Got a text from my sister today. Apparently, my BIL's Infiniti G coupe gave up the ghost - cause unknown. Probably close to 200k.

They will be looking to lease something - I don't think they agree on what it should be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    Hope your knee gets feeling better @qbrozen
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

Nonsense, install a hand throttle and go to town. :wink:

My mom was a paraplegic and driving her car with automatic transmission (obviously) and hand controls was more difficult than I thought it would be.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    mjfloyd1 said:

My mom was a paraplegic and driving her car with automatic transmission (obviously) and hand controls was more difficult than I thought it would be.

I would think it would be very hard. I have an issue with my right thumb, and w---- my a-- is almost impossible, left-handed. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

$331 for a new key fob for the Tacoma. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That’s cheaper than the Kia one 😁
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

Nonsense, install a hand throttle and go to town. :wink:
    Don’t forget the hand brake! ;b

edited December 2019
    Good luck with the knee. As I'm back on the ice, I've had my share of issues this year, but I mostly overdo it with the upper body - can make driving fun when it hurts to turn your head much, or can't lift an arm above shoulder height without much pain. I tweaked my left shoulder in a hard fall last Sunday, still a bit sore with some pops here and there, all I can think of is my insurance deductible (something something capitalism?), so I am optimistic it just needs time to recover. The pain isn't horrible, so I doubt anything is broken. Of course, I prefer to sleep on my left side, which is now irritating.

Years ago when I had the E55, I accidentally sent a key fob through a wash cycle. It would start the car, but not unlock it. Cost around $200, IIRC.
    kyfdx said:

Wait, what happened? Did you try a local locksmith? The G37 was only $150 for a (used) key fob, cutting the emergency key, and programming.
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

Wait, what happened? Did you try a local locksmith? The G37 was only $150 for a (used) key fob, cutting the emergency key, and programming.
    My son lost it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

My son lost it.
    Ouch. They will want both of them at lease end. Might have been why he tried to keep the Fit. :p
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

My son lost it.
    I'd probably be down to only one son if that happened to me. :@

jmonroe

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

My son lost it.

jmonroe

Wow, that's harsh. Your son isn't worth $331 to you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

kyfdx said:

Did you get just the fob or the key insert as well?

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

My son lost it.

jmonroe

Wow, that's harsh. Your son isn't worth $331 to you?
    Only if he paid me back. I'm his father not his bank.

jmonroe
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    $472 programmed to car key fob for the Q5. Thankfully it was covered by the selling dealer.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

Did you get just the fob or the key insert as well?
    Fob, insert cut to fit, programming

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator