Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    My son washed clothes while he was home and left the Comfort Access key fob in his jeans. It survived, luckily..

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    I washed one of the Buick’s fobs. Like @roadburner it survived.

Heck even if it didn’t I would have kept it and turned it in that way. Place both on a ring and they would have never known...

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

$331 for a new key fob for the Tacoma. :(

Did you get just the fob or the key insert as well?
    Fob, insert cut to fit, programming
    I should have driven to your dealer. The same thing cost me $463 at my dealer. That was after I asked if any service coupons. Originally they wanted $488. Thankfully I’m getting reimbursed by the selling dealer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    you leased a brand new truck and they only gave you one key? That I have never heard of.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

tjc78 said:

I washed one of the Buick’s fobs. Like @roadburner it survived.

Heck even if it didn’t I would have kept it and turned it in that way. Place both on a ring and they would have never known...

I forgot to mention it was the fob to the Mini; I have two, but the one that got washed was the only one with Comfort Access coded to the car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    Washed the Infiniti fob, once. No issues

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Good afternoon all happy happy Sunday, I wasn’t able to post in here for a couple of weeks but I just came in here to see if I can log into my Facebook again and all is good I’m able to post and was telling me last week that I wasn’t able to post anything like that or some nonsense glad it’s working again by the following along with you guys here or there, how was everyone’s Thanksgiving?
    Was upstate at my brothers they came home late Friday night we eat a lot of good food. Other than that have to get the Thunderbird ready for winter, not doing much else with it batteries on the charger. Put some dryer sheets inside and put the fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.
    sandman, glad you like the new job and it’s working out I’m so happy to hear that, also nice and soon you’re gonna start helping your daughter babysit her hairless cat and visit with them a lot and you’re going to see them in a week or two around the holiday awesome awesome. And my son reaching out to your estranged twin brother that’s all you can do never too late but if you don’t reciprocate you tried all in gods hands that’s right.
    Yes you have many options with a new car you’re going to get just keep on looking into Windows 10 stripes and such so many options out there. And we personally are used to be so against getting a first model year I personally wouldn’t care, you can get a second or third or fourth model year that’s a lemon just oarlock and you hope you never get one, who wants a lemon, but if it happens it happens as long as they exchange it with another one the changes of getting two or three lemons are slim.
    Really just buy what fits you best new feel comfortable driving it makes you happy simple as that. And that’s in your budget obviously. glad to hear you guys are liking the new Camry, think we might be going next weekend and trading in my sisters jeep and leasing that for a Corolla for her because she doesn’t wanna deal with any future maintenance staff just wants to keep the car for three years change the oil and get rid of it.
    @jmonro did you say you’re looking for a new son I can be the replacement ha ha Ha. Or anyone else to for that matter.
    @ New York car guy, so that we all care really doesn’t cover much of anything I mean at least something ha ha.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

@jmonro did you say you’re looking for a new son I can be the replacement ha ha Ha. Or anyone else to for that matter.

That could work until you lose my key fob. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Marco, I don't know what happened while you were gone, but dang, your typing software is really improved!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    The middle girl's 2008 Hyundai Accent was hit on the drivers front late Thursday night on er way home from the hospital. Her knee was hurt a bit but she's already getting better. The guy ran a red light and they have a witness who's been called already to verify. At a Metlife preferred repair shop and we're waiting for an answer on if they'll repair or total it. It's 11 years old now with 42K on the clock. She already returned the Enterprise Corolla rental as she said it's too big for her. Wife went down last evening and is going to go see it today and send some pics.
    Wife already went to look at a new 2020 Hyundai Accent and a new Kia Rio as that's the size the kid wants again if it's totaled. She prefers the middle Accent SE while I think she should spend a bit more and get the top of the line Accent. Told them to check online with Truecar.com to see what others are paying in our area. I'm out of it now and I'll be called back in if they get that far to help with pricing and drive it home. Honestly, not sure if they're gonna just give her a check and send her on her way. Are they really going to fix an 11 year old vehicle at this point? Needs a front bumper, new headlight, front fender and probably some other work up front plus a 4-wheel alignment. Not sure what the book value is so will ask Q.
    I've been after them to go test drive vehicles for weeks just in case something happens! Since she only wants a sub-compact, think she should go top of the line and get as many safety stuff as possible. She can afford it, so we'll see. She always has wanted a Mini Cooper but they are a bit pricey.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Well that stinks Sandy. Hopefully she is feeling better quickly and moves on.

If the car is totaled, I agree spend a few bucks more and get a loaded model. It sounds like it will kept a long time so it's worth it.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    My neighbor’s insurance company paid to repair her 12 year old Civic. It all depends on what it needs.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Any underlying structural damage will take that cost way into total territory.

@jmonro. OK OK, that means I’d have to behave and not lose any key fobs ha ha Ha the minute I did that I guess would be sleeping in the shed ha ha Ha.
    @ Stick guy this stuff is funny this software, it’s called voice over that Apple has on their iPhones if you have one or anyone else in here it’s built-in. Maybe the latest update it’s improved, I know it’s still not perfect that’s for sure. I’m just making sure no one‘s around me, and I am talking slow.
    @ Send man, sorry to hear about the accident that your youngest daughter had with her accent, I think she’s OK the car can always be replaced. Will they fix it or not to be seen please keep us updated. And she likes the small compact cars very cool, do you like what you like. Will she go broke off? Or is that a size up.
    @ send man, See spoke too soon with his voice dictation stick guy ha ha Ha. We’re saying we should go for a golf like you have or is that a size up too big or too expensive?

@jmonro. OK OK, that means I’d have to behave and not lose any key fobs ha ha Ha the minute I did that I guess would be sleeping in the shed ha ha Ha.

On a good day you might be in the shed. However, being that you would be a late adoption without any seniority, you'd probably be in permanent sleep mode. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    I can't help but keep looking this over. Seems like a great value.
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=254259839

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Seems cheap enough. Hardly ever see one though.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    It is truly an appliance - but they're reliable, can take a beating, have a lot of usable space, and have horrible resale value. I can see the appeal.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I’d go for the Energi if it’s not much more than the regular hybrid.
    corvette said:

I’d go for the Energi if it’s not much more than the regular hybrid.

from the review(s) I found, they said the Energi didn't help efficiency in any meaningful way, so it is probably better, for long-term reliability, to go with the less complex one.

I'm curious if it feels/handles at all like the mazda5.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That’s interesting. Is it based on the Mazda5? I had always figured it was Focus-based like the Escape. It certainly seems to share a lot of interior parts with them.
    No word on the Accent yet but wife ain't back from Miami either. Probably dropped our daughter off at the hospital for her 3 pm to 11:30 pm shift and then will continue up to Broward County. Daughter lives in South Miami Dade County, Kendall area for those who are familiar, and we live in North Broward County, Coral Springs. Traffic starts early in Miami Dade so it'll take her close to 90 minutes to get home. A big reason why I changed jobs was because of this traffic issue. Used to work in South Broward County, Pembroke Pines, which is 29 miles from home to work. Used to take me 30 minutes in the morning but I'd have to leave before 6:45. Coming back up was a different story as where 75 meets up with the Sawgrass Expressway gets pretty congested anytime after 5. I'd usually get home within 38 to 45 minutes depending on what time I left the office.
    Between the driving time and the $60/month charge for tolls on the 869(Sawgrass Expressway), it just got to be a bit too much. And there was also the amount of gasoline used, usually a couple gallons/day...give or take depending on traffic. After 5 years, or just about 5 years, saw a job much closer to the house and gave it a shot. As I've mentioned before, the first attempt a couple of years ago would've put me in a silly meeting spot in mid Broward and then it was down to the Ft. Lauderdale airport office. Would've taken more drive time though less in petrol and tolls but, just wasn't worth it. Applied back in early October when this closer gig started showing up on Indeed.com, but nothing became of it after a few inquiries. Saw the same ad back in early November and after a week of phone/e-mail tag, we finally got connected and things moved moved a bit quick after that. Wanted me to start the first week of December which worked once Hertz agreed to let me go after just a week. I had planned to give them two weeks as I thought was customary. I've only quit a few jobs in my lifetime, those being both in 2013 with my independent contractor transporter positions.
    So, will hear of their plan once the insurance company makes up their mind about fixing or cutting her a check for book value. Again, prefer the latter so she can start fresh with everything new as she's gotten her money out of her Accent at this point. Time for a change. But it ain't up to me here. I'll just offer any advice if asked...better that way!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

corvette said:

That’s interesting. Is it based on the Mazda5? I had always figured it was Focus-based like the Escape. It certainly seems to share a lot of interior parts with them.

yes. But, IIRC, the c-max had its own suspension tuning, so it might be totally different.

Have driven a bunch of them while I was at Hertz and find them to be quite decent transportation. I almost bought one back in 2015 and it came down to it and the VW Golf as I recall. Quite roomy and the mpg's were quite good at the time. The unit I was looking at was about the same price as what I paid for the Golf though it was a demo with almost 10K on the clock. The new ones are even better. We picked up a whole bunch of new 2020 Escapes last week at Miami but I never got to drive one as I was in the new Ram 500 trucks most of the time. And now at Enterprise, I only deal with vehicles being sold to dealers or going to the auctions. No longer dealing with actual vehicles in the rental fleet.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,277
    stickguy said:

Seems cheap enough. Hardly ever see one though.

Oddly, I had never seen one and today I pull in the turn lane next to one
    really striking car. like the color. maybe chrome wheels instead, but that of course is personal taste. sounds like it must be a hoot to drive.

edited December 2019
    got to do a quick comparison test today. Had a loaner Acura when I left my car for service. So put about 20 miles on a 2020 TLX V6 base. I was surprised at how much different it felt than my car. Motor was obviously different (a big quicker off the line, but some of that was the touchier throttle, it felt a lot like the RDX we have). But smooth and quick, though in normal use, my 4 banger seems about as quick. The tranny is also much different. My DCT is much sharper I think, the slushbox is very smooth instead. and I really don't car for the push button shifter. really seems pointless too, since it takes up exactly the same real estate as the normal lever in my car that I can use without even looking at it.

other than that the V6 model felt heavier and softer (since it is). and quieter, but I missed the "growl" my car gives you. The seats were nice. Big comfy thrones, a touch roomier than the A spec seats (and softer). the narrower and taller tires, and non-sport suspension, also were noticeably softer and smoother, with less sharp handling. I was surprised a little at how much I noticed the difference.

also noticeable was the lack of content without the tech package. No auto wipers (it was pouring today). base stereo was still good. Missed the BLIS too. no built in Navi. Gotta have the tech package!

If I really wanted the V6 would probably go all the way and get the GG special (SH AWD A spec), Or at least tech package.

Edit: I think the loaner also did not have parking sensors. Not a big deal for my drive today, but I remembered how used to them I am now in the front, because my daughter stashed a big box (xmas present of a smoker grill for her BF) in the garage, in front of my car, not leaving much room to work with. so I actually use them pulling in. And found out when I got back home that they turned off the ones on my car, and did not turn back on, so they never chirped at me (I still stopped in time, using the plastic pail stuck in the wall studs landmark to park by!)

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    edited December 2019
    stickguy said:

really striking car. like the color. maybe chrome wheels instead, but that of course is personal taste. sounds like it must be a hoot to drive.

Thanks! Never been a black wheel kind of guy but they just work on this car. My first car ever with them.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Agreed. The Mustang is quite the looker, and with a little punch to back it up. Nice score!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    js06gv said:

stickguy said:

Thanks! Never been a black wheel kind of guy but they just work on this car. My first car ever with them.

Fantastic!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

js06gv said:

stickguy said:

Nice looking car, congrats on the punch.

FWIW, I agree with you about the black wheels. I don't think any other wheel color would look as good on that car.

Now all you have to do is give us a report before the first oil change, otherwise you're going to get a dues bump.

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    Congrats on the new beauty. I agree with the others - I am usually not a fan of black wheels, but on a few cars, they work. That's definitely one of them.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    That Mustang GT is really nice and a great deal! I am divided about the wheels though. I think black wheels only work with a few body paint colors. Not sure that red is one of them. Maybe I would need to see it in person though. When I was buying my ATS 2 years ago a dealer had one in red with a black package of some sort with most of the bright trim blacked out and black wheels as well, and it looked good to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    @js06gv - LOVE IT! Sweet deal on an awesome car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@js06gv
    Nice ride !!! Congrats.

Got a good look at the new Kia small ute coming out shortly, the Stelvo I think it's called. Looks great actually so now have the three of them on my short list. That one, the Hyundai Venue and the new VW Golf, which grows in length about 1.5 inches. Still, a very nice size. The Kia version will have a Bose audio system which will be just perfect. Had a B & O system in the Ford EcoSport I drove Friday and it was pretty respectable for such a vehicle. Small engine from what I've read but seemed to keep up in traffic just fine. Ample power when needed but since I only drove it for about 45 minutes, would need at least an hour on different kinds of roads to give a truly educated opinion about it. But liked the B & O system which is a good start. More intrigued by the Bose system Hyundai is offering so assuming the Kia version will have something similar to offer. Would rather pay upfront and have it all done at the factory instead of using the indie audio shop. Sure, they can make it anything you want but, at what cost and with how much potential damage. And I definitely have to have a good audio system for me to enjoy any new vehicle. But to be honest, price can add up very quickly using the after market pieces. Sure it might sound out of this world but don't want the price to be "out there" to be honest!
    So glad that 2020 will be the year of great choices for smaller vehicles around 170 inches. Hatchbacks or CUV's, don't matter to me, just happy that I now have some choice players in this field for me to make my choice. As much as I do love my 2015 Golf, I also want more of the safety nannies but also want that killer sound system as this could just be my last vehicle in this life. One never really knows what G-d has in store for us at this age and I just want my next vehicle to be pure fun, fun that has outstanding sound. Don't think that's too much to ask but want it all for under $30K out the door! Hoping for my Golf as a trade-in and around $20K to get the deal done. I know that that'll be possible with the cast of characters for 2020 without evening inviting MB and BMW to the party. Assuming they'll all be turbo's but a regular 4 cylinder wold work fine to.
    Has taken awhile but, I'm finally ready to start looking for a new vehicle within the next couple of years.

@js06gv - nice Mustang! I'm a big fan of GT Premiums in red, and would still have mine if it didn't cause me pain to drive more than a couple of hours at a time. Great color!

@Sandman6472 sorry about your daughter's wreck - hopefully, she isn't too beat up!
    @qbrozen Interesting - the Energi only has a 20 mile all electric range, which would be great for someone with a short commute, but you start to lose out with longer trips, as the gas MPG is lower on the Energi compared to the hybrid.
    @js06gv; Nice GT! In 2015 I came very close to buying a fully loaded CPO 2015 GT Premium with the PP- I just waited one day too long to pull the trigger.

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456

@js06gv; Nice GT! In 2015 I came very close to buying a fully loaded CPO 2015 GT Premium with the PP- I just waited one day too long to pull the trigger.

I remember you talking about that at the time. My 2015 was very nice. This one is definitely next level.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic