Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    OF, we've both tried to get her to go into the Elantra/Forte size vehicle but she really wants the Accent/Rio size. And since Hyundai/Kia's have such a great warranty overall, that's what she wants. Also, it's only going to be her second vehicle up till now. Since she's fitting the bill herself, her choice of what to get is hers also. I've suggested and now they either listen and give them all a try or they don't. I don't want to hear down the road, "this car is too big for me and YOU made me get it"! Nope, her car, her money...her choice!
    But yes, her knee is feeling a bit better today, thanks for your concern. I think from now on, she'll be waiting even longer at an intersection when a red light turns green. Even though he definitely blew the light, on purpose for some dumb [non-permissible content removed] reason, she's a bit tense now when driving she said. That'll lessen in time but for now, she's relying on friends/co-workers and Lyft/Uber to get her around. Their insurance will pay for the Lyft/Uber trips just like they would for a rental vehicle so she'll be just fine. As I predicted, by Wednesday, Metlife said they should have a decision for her and what happens next.
    Never a dull moment in life, especially with kids. And no matter how old they get, your kids are still...your kids! Mom & dad have your back no matter what. Something I never got from mine towards the end there. But guess they felt they did the best they could! Or, the best they wanted to do!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

driver100 said:

“Mrs D and I DISCUSSED the new car when we took Trixie for her walk. WE decided a one hour trip into the busiest area in Tampa, dealing with an aggressive sales guy would be too draining, PLUS, we really love our car.”

So she told you NO, right? ;)

Honestly, if I really wanted it Mrs D would have let me get it. Since I don't spend money on wine women and song or have any other bad habits she is OK letting me blow a bit of money on a car. :p

LOL, yeah, keep telling yourself that. :D I never bought a car yet that my wife didn’t specifically give me permission, even begrudgingly.
    Was your wife a twin that was separated at birth? If so, I slept with her twin sister last night. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

driver100 said:

Not to change the subject, but...

@driver100 YOu mentioned the new refrigerator has 37 deg F as the preferred temp for the refrigerator part.

I checked ours and I've had it at 39 to 40 deg. F. I checked running the temperature down in setting, and when I got to 37 it said it was preferred. I recall everything seemed too cold at that temp, so I had verified the temp with thermometers and raised mine a deg every few days.

Yes imid, the factory setting is for 37, and I am going to raise it once I get the manual out...I think you have to press 2 buttons at the same time but you need to follow the instructions to know which too. Orange juice is freezing cold in the morning....gives brain freeze at 37. The freezer needs to be raised as well....factory sets it at 0F, you need a pick ax to get ice cream out of the container....will try about 5.
    I think yours is like ours. There's a temp button. Hold it for 3 seconds to activate. Fridge temp shows first. Press again, freezer temp shows. Use blue up and down arrows that appear to the right to set temp higher or lower.

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/refrigeration/refrigerators/side-by-side/p.36-inch-wide-counter-depth-side-by-side-refrigerator-21-cu.-ft.wrs571cihz.html
    Excellent instructions....worked, trying 40 and 5, probably need to go a bit higher. I have written them down and put them in the bottom drawer.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

“Mrs D and I DISCUSSED the new car when we took Trixie for her walk. WE decided a one hour trip into the busiest area in Tampa, dealing with an aggressive sales guy would be too draining, PLUS, we really love our car.”

So she told you NO, right? ;)

Honestly, if I really wanted it Mrs D would have let me get it. Since I don't spend money on wine women and song or have any other bad habits she is OK letting me blow a bit of money on a car. :p

LOL, yeah, keep telling yourself that. :D I never bought a car yet that my wife didn’t specifically give me permission, even begrudgingly.
    Don't get me wrong...we both have to agree before either of us would buy a car, any car. But, if I really wanted a car I am sure she would say it was OK, but I wouldn't buy a car she doesn't like, and she is pretty particular when it comes to cars.....and men!

My best friend's ex wife had a car that broke down one day on her way from work. She went across the road and came home in a new Dodge Spirit. I think the marriage was doomed anyway, but, that sped things along.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Driver100
    Give it a couple days to stabilize. If you store meat in freezer, I'd stay close to 0 deg.

Maybe put ice cream in door shelf,?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Sorry Sandy and O-F to hear about those accidents....those are traumatic events. Hope everyone will be OK.

@abacomike
    You'll be fine.

fintail said:

Even before it was a law, it was in the "mandatory" package on the E (which included nav, heated seats, etc). On your 2015, it was in a package, but every car in stock would have had the package, and likely every car in national inventory. I think BU cam being bundled with nav and heated seats goes back to the 2010 model year. Parking sensors weren't standard on E until the current generation. Same for Keyless Go. For nav, you'll be hard pressed to find an E before 2004 or so without it - that mandatory option again. The C does it different, nav was always more premium for some reason. Increase those margins.

driver100 said:

Now, they will, in fact it is the law, they have to have it. When I got the 2015 E it was an option in a package. MB probably thinks no one is going to buy a luxury car and not buy the optional GPS, BU cam, sensor option.
    The automatic braking system was also a major $3000 option in a package....now it is also on a lot of regular cars. If MB can charge extra, they will......other car makers throw it in to increase sales.

Yes, it was in a package on my 2015....and I believe the 2015 E wasn't available in the U.S. until 2016. They know someone buying an MB will pay the amount to get a necessary safety device. I get the impression the cute 2014 C250 Sport model was made to get coax entry level MB buyers into the market.....so no GPS, or BU Cam.

The BUC saga as been going on for more than 48 hours.

72 hours then.........and it is over now!

suydam said:

I am a little surprised you didn’t at least give it a look-see. Then you’d have an informed decision that you preferred what you have. I did go drive a Nissan Leaf +, which I liked very much. But I couldn’t make the numbers work, so I feel pretty good about staying with the Volt.

I really wanted to look at it, but we have an extremely busy week. Like I said, tennis 8 a.m. to 10, come home, shower, eat, an hour and a quarter if all goes well to the busiest spot in the Tampa area which I don't really know, defend against a slick sales guy, get my car appraised, test drive, wheel and deal, drive back in heavy rush hour traffic on the busiest roads in the area.......it is just too much, and chances are it will be for nothing.
    Other cars will be availablein January when it will be less hectic....or, more likely, it led us to realize our C250 is a little gem and I think I like it more than the 2016.

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I was surprised to get that close to the wrench (indicator on an Acura) coming on. usually I get to the 1 year first, and the car does not flag that so don't get the codes popping up as to what it needs.

coincidentally, the RDX is also at 20%. Might do that Friday instead on my day off if the weather cooperates. We are taking that travelling over xmas break, so good to get it done first. Just want the light to come on, but I can wait a week if need be.

here is a pretty car for JMonroe (I love the color combo) though "only" has the V6 (which would be plenty for me). And 5 oil changes in barely 3 years and 21K miles!

https://www.keenanhonda.com/inventory/used-2017-genesis-g80-3-8-awd-4d-sedan-kmhgn4je5hu172719

Looks nice but I think JMonroe should get one of these:

That one could make me a believer!
    If I get a G80 next year, it will be that burnt orange color - almost red. They have one on display at the mall. I also think it will be the V8.
    That is mighty tempting.....sounds good.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432

No word on my kids 2008 Accent but she's feeling a bit better and her knee is doing o k. She took off Friday but understandable since she gets off her shift at 11:30 at night. She only lives about 10 minutes from work so this happened close to midnight. Unfortunately, we're a good hour up the road in Broward County. The car's at the Metlife preferred body shop and the wife just walked in but no word yet. Figure by Wednesday or so, they'll have made their decision about fixing it or cutting her a check. I'm letting the girls handle it until they ask me for any help. Sometimes, too many cooks in the kitchen do not improve the flavor of the dish!
    Personally, let them total it and cut her a check so she can move on. Her Accent is so old that it doesn't even have a back-up camera, something everyone should have by now. If she does have to buy another, betting on her getting another Hyundai Accent and the new 2020 model is nothing like her 2008 one. They've improved it so much that I wouldn't be insulted one bit if that was my daily driver. Hyundai/Kia have come a long way since those awful early years and can now give most car companies a run for the money. They're no longer the penalty box vehicles they once were with that awful Excel model. For being their base model, the new Accent is extremely well made! Again, I'd have no issue driving one on a daily basis, one bit!

Didn’t hear about this. I had to search a few other boards. Anyway, sorry this happened to her. I hope her injuries aren’t serious. My niece in Florida is still recovering from injuries resulting from being hit by a garbage truck a la driver100. Seems to be a Florida tradition.

If she insists on a sub compact replacement you might want to consider the Honda Fit. Probably some good deals on left over 2019s and the 2020 has a hybrid option.

Personally, I’d step up to an Elantra as it’s an overall better car than the Accent.
    if she thinks a Corolla is too big, she isn't going to like the Elantra either. Maybe a Kona if she wants to sit a little higher.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Driver100
    Give it a couple days to stabilize. If you store meat in freezer, I'd stay close to 0 deg.

Maybe put ice cream in door shelf,?

Will try!

@abacomike
    You'll be fine.

Agreed +1

driver100 said:

not if you haven't gotten it installed yet!

My wife pretty much lets me do whatever I want car wise. She knows I am too cheap to spend more than makes sense. But, that is only if it is my car, not her car. And if it is something she won't like I better not expect to be taking it places when we go together. Right now, I have the new "good" car so we usually have that when out together (and a lot of trips) so she has to really like it (and the reason I dumped the Elantra for the TLX).

But, next car will be hers, and will likely be the primary use together wheels. So my car really becomes just a 2nd car that will normally be just me using it. And then she will really not care, as long as she can drive it in a pinch (and can at least suffer a short ride in the passenger seat).

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

OF, we've both tried to get her to go into the Elantra/Forte size vehicle but she really wants the Accent/Rio size. And since Hyundai/Kia's have such a great warranty overall, that's what she wants. Also, it's only going to be her second vehicle up till now. Since she's fitting the bill herself, her choice of what to get is hers also. I've suggested and now they either listen and give them all a try or they don't. I don't want to hear down the road, "this car is too big for me and YOU made me get it"! Nope, her car, her money...her choice!
    But yes, her knee is feeling a bit better today, thanks for your concern. I think from now on, she'll be waiting even longer at an intersection when a red light turns green. Even though he definitely blew the light, on purpose for some dumb [non-permissible content removed] reason, she's a bit tense now when driving she said. That'll lessen in time but for now, she's relying on friends/co-workers and Lyft/Uber to get her around. Their insurance will pay for the Lyft/Uber trips just like they would for a rental vehicle so she'll be just fine. As I predicted, by Wednesday, Metlife said they should have a decision for her and what happens next.
    Never a dull moment in life, especially with kids. And no matter how old they get, your kids are still...your kids! Mom & dad have your back no matter what. Something I never got from mine towards the end there. But guess they felt they did the best they could! Or, the best they wanted to do!!!

I hear you. Have you thought of using your employee discount to get her a 1 or 2 year old company car?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I would say better off getting a brand new one, and the 10 year warranty. and no worries about any issue from prior use. Not like what she is looking at is that expensive to start with.

I am having a tough time convincing the wife that a lightly used unit is the way to go for her next car. Might pull it off. Depends on what she decides she wants though. An RDX, outback or Santa Fe, that would be new. An XC60 or X3, would have to be a loaner fleet car or some such.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

My wife pretty much lets me do whatever I want car wise. She knows I am too cheap to spend more than makes sense. But, that is only if it is my car, not her car. And if it is something she won't like I better not expect to be taking it places when we go together. Right now, I have the new "good" car so we usually have that when out together (and a lot of trips) so she has to really like it (and the reason I dumped the Elantra for the TLX).

But, next car will be hers, and will likely be the primary use together wheels. So my car really becomes just a 2nd car that will normally be just me using it. And then she will really not care, as long as she can drive it in a pinch (and can at least suffer a short ride in the passenger seat).

I have corrupted my wife completely; the only non European car she likes is the Wrangler.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited December 2019
    My wife even encouraged me to look at a 370Z. Nice size and cockpit, but a manual isn't all that quick and the telematics are ancient.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    suydam said:

If it’s laser, your “surgery” will consist of sitting in a chair, just one in an assembly line. You might see pretty colors too. I was cheered the first time in the waiting room when someone told me, “No one is ever anxious about the second eye.” Good luck!

It is laser - had to pay $1675 for each eye because my insurance does not cover laser - only scalpel. Hope you are correct.

2021 Genesis G90

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

not if you haven't gotten it installed yet!
    I am taking a break from the BU Cam thing. I want to see if someone comes up with one with a monitor that works off a battery or solar. It should be doable.....another one of my multi-million $$$ ideas!

I hear you. Have you thought of using your employee discount to get her a 1 or 2 year old company car?
    A red light in Florid means if there is any possible way you can get through before the cross traffic starts then go for it!

BTW....what is with all the pickup trucks I see carrying dogs or people? That would never happen back home...the fines are heavy and people have some common sense.

stickguy said:

I have corrupted my wife completely; the only non European car she likes is the Wrangler.
    Speaking of which, are you looking for some nice chairs:

stickguy said:

I would say better off getting a brand new one, and the 10 year warranty. and no worries about any issue from prior use. Not like what she is looking at is that expensive to start with.

I am having a tough time convincing the wife that a lightly used unit is the way to go for her next car. Might pull it off. Depends on what she decides she wants though. An RDX, outback or Santa Fe, that would be new. An XC60 or X3, would have to be a loaner fleet car or some such.

As you know, I prefer new cars and over the long haul I don't think the cost of driving a new car will end up being much more....if you can get into your first new one and try to pay it off in about 3 years.

But, a new rule I have found out is if you don't drive many miles, a low mileage previously owned car is probably a better buy. Some of the MBs I was looking at cost maybe $2000 more to get one with under 15k miles on them, but that could be equal to 7 years more driving than one that has 50k miles on it!

abacomike said:

suydam said:

If it’s laser, your “surgery” will consist of sitting in a chair, just one in an assembly line. You might see pretty colors too. I was cheered the first time in the waiting room when someone told me, “No one is ever anxious about the second eye.” Good luck!

It is laser - had to pay $1675 for each eye because my insurance does not cover laser - only scalpel. Hope you are correct.
    Guess you are waiting there now....good luck, I am sure you will be fine.
    I was really nervous when I went in 24 years ago to have laser done.
    Then a young guy about 18 came out of the operating room, laughing and smiling, and I thought if he can do it so can I.
    I am sure you will be happy with the results.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Good luck Mike!!!!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Oldfarmer, I saw this story in my local back home newspaper:

Four charged in organized auto theft ring; at least 39 vehicles stolen in four months, - $1.5 million worth of cars!

Most of the stolen vehicles came from rental businesses where thieves allegedly used fake identification to rent vehicles that were never returned, or they would copy keys and then come back and steal vehicles, Torrie said.

"The target was rental companies, the vehicles were stolen all over southern Ontario," she said.

The vehicles were mostly "high end" including Audi, Mercedes, Land Rover and fully-loaded pickups.

Have you heard of this going on. Would you be interested in starting up a little business?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    @driver100 , this sounds like a vehicle that would be more to your tastes. Maybe start saving your nickels...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-mercedes-benz-glb-250-suv-preview

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I like that. Actually styled for interior utility and exterior visibility! Perfect size too. Will scope it out at the car show.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @abacomike .....you’re well out of “cataract surgery” by now and realize everything’s hunky dory! Little itchy for a day or two, but after that, you’ll rush into the 2nd one with no reservations.

Acura.....they are indeed cheap to own and operate...at least mine has been. That’s one of the reasons that is making it hard for me to get something else.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Old man rant warning:

My wife’s license is about to expire and even though she doesn’t really drive any more she wants the new enhanced license which will be required for air travel next October. You have to show in person so I drag her out to the DMV in the rain at the opening time of 8:00. She has a hard time standing for long periods so I wanted to beat the crowds.

Well, we walk in to a sign on the wall that says “no enhanced licenses before 9:00”. Grrrrrrr :@ . Why didn’t they say so on the web site?

We wait an hour only to be told our “proofs” are inadequate. Seems our church issued marriage certificate isn’t valid for the bureaucracy. Now I have to go to the city where we were married, pay for this extra paper and then trot my wife back to the DMV and pay more money for this stupid government permission slip to get on a plane.

Welcome to Russia...show us your papers.

Oh yeah, when I upgrade my license I need to figure out where I was born so I can get a copy of MY birth certificate which went to the grave with all the rest of my parent’s papers in 2009. What a joke.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

My wife even encouraged me to look at a 370Z. Nice size and cockpit, but a manual isn't all that quick and the telematics are ancient.

I thought you nixed the 370Z when reports said the brakes weren’t up to track duty?

driver100 said:

A red light in Florid means if there is any possible way you can get through before the cross traffic starts then go for it!

BTW....what is with all the pickup trucks I see carrying dogs or people? That would never happen back home...the fines are heavy and people have some common sense.
    I assume you mean carrying them in the bed or else Canada must be a draconian state. :s If so I can’t imagine owning a Subaru up there.

https://youtu.be/is5QIzicOhY

I love those ads

edited December 2019
    driver100 said:

Oldfarmer, I saw this story in my local back home newspaper:

Four charged in organized auto theft ring; at least 39 vehicles stolen in four months, - $1.5 million worth of cars!

Most of the stolen vehicles came from rental businesses where thieves allegedly used fake identification to rent vehicles that were never returned, or they would copy keys and then come back and steal vehicles, Torrie said.

"The target was rental companies, the vehicles were stolen all over southern Ontario," she said.

The vehicles were mostly "high end" including Audi, Mercedes, Land Rover and fully-loaded pickups.

Have you heard of this going on. Would you be interested in starting up a little business?

I can’t imagine how many rentals go missing every year. Just the other day I was in one of our offices and the agent was on the phone with a tow company because someone had rented a car and just kept it. They located it out in the country but couldn’t locate the renter so they had to trek out and tow it back.

Another office lost some cars when a clever crook put a hand made sign on the key drop box that said “key drop broken, leave keys in car” which the customers promptly did.

One whole cleaning crew got fired when it was discovered they were sneaking cars out of the lot on Friday night and returning them early Monday after joyriding the whole week end.

As to helping you commit larceny, I certainly know where the weak spots in the system are but I doubt a pretty boy like you would do well in prison. ;)

I thought you nixed the 370Z when reports said the brakes weren’t up to track duty?
    That was the NISMO; the 370Z I was looking at would never see the track.
    Another thing that bugs me is how the models are configured; There are no options so if you don't like how the models are configured you are out of luck.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited December 2019
    I have been signing in with my google acct for months now, and today it wouldn't work. I took a stab and used my ol houdini1 user name and password and it worked !! houdini1 is back and houdini2 is lost in the ether...at least for now !! Also got my 7900+ posts back. Took me back to August of 2018 !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@abacomike is probably having a nice lunch somewhere with his friend who drove him to the eye center.

I remember the plastic protector taped over my eye for the first 24 hours. It had the holes in it for ventilation.

ab348 said:

@driver100 , this sounds like a vehicle that would be more to your tastes. Maybe start saving your nickels...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-mercedes-benz-glb-250-suv-preview

I like it....nice and boxy looking with big windows. By the time I am ready to buy should be able to get a 3 or 4 year old one that I can afford as a Florida car.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

Old man rant warning:

My wife’s license is about to expire and even though she doesn’t really drive any more she wants the new enhanced license which will be required for air travel next October. You have to show in person so I drag her out to the DMV in the rain at the opening time of 8:00. She has a hard time standing for long periods so I wanted to beat the crowds.

Well, we walk in to a sign on the wall that says “no enhanced licenses before 9:00”. Grrrrrrr :@ . Why didn’t they say so on the web site?

We wait an hour only to be told our “proofs” are inadequate. Seems our church issued marriage certificate isn’t valid for the bureaucracy. Now I have to go to the city where we were married, pay for this extra paper and then trot my wife back to the DMV and pay more money for this stupid government permission slip to get on a plane.

Oh yeah, when I upgrade my license I need to figure out where I was born so I can get a copy of MY birth certificate which went to the grave with all the rest of my parent’s papers in 2009. What a joke.

We have "freedoms," but definitely aren't "free."

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

driver100 said:

I assume you mean carrying them in the bed or else Canada must be a draconian state. :s If so I can’t imagine owning a Subaru up there.

Yes, I meant carrying them in the bed of the truck:

Suburu commercials are great...that one was a good one. Still like the Suburus running around in the park.

Actually I checked....people over 18 can ride in the back of a pickup truck in Florida and some other states.....that is insane, every year people get killed doing it. Of course you can also drive and talk on your cell phone too!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    driver100 said:

Actually I checked....people over 18 can ride in the back of a pickup truck in Florida and some other states.....that is insane, every year people get killed doing it. Of course you can also drive and talk on your cell phone too!

So those states don't have seatbelt laws?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Only a minor needs restraints if in the back:
    Florida law does state that “it is unlawful for any operator of a pickup truck or flatbed truck to permit a minor child who has not attained 18 years of age to ride upon limited access facilities of the state within the open body of a pickup truck or flatbed truck unless the minor is restrained within the open body in the back of a truck that has been modified to include secure seating and safety restraints to prevent the passenger from being thrown, falling, or jumping from the truck.”

So, I guess if you are stupid enough to want to ride in the back of a pickup truck, no one is going to stop you. Enjoy the ride and hope the driver doesn't come to an abrupt stop.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    FL is only a first world location by being a member of the larger union (nation) - on its own, it is a bizarro world banana republic that probably has the same gini coefficient as San Francisco but less opportunity and more social ills. I've only known people who have moved from there, not to there. Fun place to visit though.

Rental car - buy the full insurance, and the car gets "stolen", problem solved.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    stickguy said:

I pledged to spend no more than half my annual gross salary on a car. Of course, I'm no longer married...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Old man rant warning:

Basically it’s like getting a passport. All documents must be issued by the government. I think that’s explained on the website. At least California’s is. It’s pretty simple to get these documents by mail, and then you’ll have them for the future. I know it’s irritating because you know who you are, but the whole idea of the enhanced ID is that it’s more secure. Who really gets tripped up over these requirements are women who have changed their names, or been divorced or widowed. Getting all those docs together is a real headache. I agree that it seems overkill to me for a license to drive, but we do use these for all kinds of proof of identity.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    nyccarguy said:

Old man rant warning:

We have "freedoms," but definitely aren't "free."
    It gets worse. Now the city where we were married as well as the city we were living in and would presumably have filed for the license have no record of us. My next step is to have the state of NY do a search of their records...for $45.

The city I lived in back then was very corrupt and I wouldn’t be surprised if the then clerk threw the license in the trash and pocketed the money.

@oldfarmer50
    Are you really married then? If there's no record...

Short story
    Son and DIL married last October. The facilitator, or whatever his title was, who performed the ceremony neglected to remind them to get a marriage license. He was being paid to handle all those details. So as soon as they returned from the honeymoon in Key West, they were scrambling to the right offices to get that finished up. The date on the marriage license does not match their wedding date. LOL