Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    fintail said:

FL is only a first world location by being a member of the larger union (nation) - on its own, it is a bizarro world banana republic that probably has the same gini coefficient as San Francisco but less opportunity and more social ills. I've only known people who have moved from there, not to there. Fun place to visit though.

Rental car - buy the full insurance, and the car gets "stolen", problem solved.

I sometimes think of Florida as the wild west only it is the wild south. My neighbors live here year round, they are from Connecticut, they say there is unbelievable corruption.

Last week a pedophile who had numerous charges against him, they know he is guilty, got off completely because the search warrant issued was improper......not obtained with truthful information. Cop who got the warrant can't be charged, he left for a job in Detroit. Now this guy is out. Every day there are stories like this, many even more bizarre.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

stickguy said:

My wife pretty much lets me do whatever I want car wise. She knows I am too cheap to spend more than makes sense. But, that is only if it is my car, not her car. And if it is something she won't like I better not expect to be taking it places when we go together. Right now, I have the new "good" car so we usually have that when out together (and a lot of trips) so she has to really like it (and the reason I dumped the Elantra for the TLX).

But, next car will be hers, and will likely be the primary use together wheels. So my car really becomes just a 2nd car that will normally be just me using it. And then she will really not care, as long as she can drive it in a pinch (and can at least suffer a short ride in the passenger seat).

I pledged to spend no more than half my annual gross salary on a car. Of course, I'm no longer married...
    That has always been my formula for buying a car.

Imid, raised fridge to 40F and juice is not quite as cold, could go to 44 or 45, but will stay with 40F...can live with that.
    Ice cream was not as hard as a brick, set at 5F. Could dial to 2 or 3, but will see how this goes.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense when you can read the instructions, but impossible to do by just trying to use logic.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

FL is only a first world location by being a member of the larger union (nation) - on its own, it is a bizarro world banana republic that probably has the same gini coefficient as San Francisco but less opportunity and more social ills. I've only known people who have moved from there, not to there. Fun place to visit though.

I sometimes think of Florida as the wild west only it is the wild south. My neighbors live here year round, they are from Connecticut, they say there is unbelievable corruption.

Last week a pedophile who had numerous charges against him, they know he is guilty, got off completely because the search warrant issued was improper......not obtained with truthful information. Cop who got the warrant can't be charged, he left for a job in Detroit. Now this guy is out. Every day there are stories like this, many even more bizarre.
    Where in Connecticut? There is corruption EVERYWHERE!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited December 2019
    suydam said:

Old man rant warning:

My wife’s license is about to expire and even though she doesn’t really drive any more she wants the new enhanced license which will be required for air travel next October. You have to show in person so I drag her out to the DMV in the rain at the opening time of 8:00. She has a hard time standing for long periods so I wanted to beat the crowds.

Well, we walk in to a sign on the wall that says “no enhanced licenses before 9:00”. Grrrrrrr :@ . Why didn’t they say so on the web site?

We wait an hour only to be told our “proofs” are inadequate. Seems our church issued marriage certificate isn’t valid for the bureaucracy. Now I have to go to the city where we were married, pay for this extra paper and then trot my wife back to the DMV and pay more money for this stupid government permission slip to get on a plane.

Welcome to Russia...show us your papers.

Oh yeah, when I upgrade my license I need to figure out where I was born so I can get a copy of MY birth certificate which went to the grave with all the rest of my parent’s papers in 2009. What a joke.

Basically it’s like getting a passport. All documents must be issued by the government. I think that’s explained on the website. At least California’s is. It’s pretty simple to get these documents by mail, and then you’ll have them for the future. I know it’s irritating because you know who you are, but the whole idea of the enhanced ID is that it’s more secure. Who really gets tripped up over these requirements are women who have changed their names, or been divorced or widowed. Getting all those docs together is a real headache. I agree that it seems overkill to me for a license to drive, but we do use these for all kinds of proof of identity.
    That’s where we’re at now. Can’t get any governmental agency to acknowledge my wife’s name change through marriage. Me, all I needed was a BC which I got today. For her I have to go to the state and hope there’s a record somewhere. Dealing with them today was an adventure in itself.

Unfortunately, while trying to juggle this my disabled son had a crisis and is the hospital. May have to put the paper chase on hold.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    driver100 said:

Imid, raised fridge to 40F and juice is not quite as cold, could go to 44 or 45, but will stay with 40F...can live with that.
    Ice cream was not as hard as a brick, set at 5F. Could dial to 2 or 3, but will see how this goes.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense when you can read the instructions, but impossible to do by just trying to use logic.

If I had the right model, your ice maker is completely in the door rather than the first shelf of the freezer. The switch to turn off the ice maker is on the left side of the housing when you tilt and remove the ice cube holding box. Switch is on the inside next to the removable cube holder.

I assume you'll turn that off when you leave the fridge to return home, along with turning off the water line to the fridge.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    nyccarguy said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Certainly not in Westport, now that I've left... B)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

nyccarguy said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

He knows that, but, still, not as bad as here. It seems everyday they find someone ripping off the system.
    Interesting report on the local news the other day. A lot of older homes are getting flooding around them. This happens near new surveys, there is so much building going on that the rain water has no ground to sink into, so water runs off to where the lower older homes are, around the new survey.
    Usually they build ponds etc to catch the run off, ot builders have to preserve some wetlands, but, instead they can trade wetland areas and donate wetlands in some remote area far away from the new survey.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539
    driver100 said:

Man, you guys do have problems with your fridges. Our fridge is set to 36 F, Samsung recommends 38 F. I like cold OJ. Our freezer is set to -6 F, Samsung recommends -2 F. If I wanted soft ice cream, I'd go to Dairy Queen. You guys are making it tougher than it has to be.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited December 2019

Old man rant warning:

My wife’s license is about to expire and even though she doesn’t really drive any more she wants the new enhanced license which will be required for air travel next October. You have to show in person so I drag her out to the DMV in the rain at the opening time of 8:00. She has a hard time standing for long periods so I wanted to beat the crowds.

Well, we walk in to a sign on the wall that says “no enhanced licenses before 9:00”. Grrrrrrr :@ . Why didn’t they say so on the web site?

We wait an hour only to be told our “proofs” are inadequate. Seems our church issued marriage certificate isn’t valid for the bureaucracy. Now I have to go to the city where we were married, pay for this extra paper and then trot my wife back to the DMV and pay more money for this stupid government permission slip to get on a plane.

Welcome to Russia...show us your papers.

Oh yeah, when I upgrade my license I need to figure out where I was born so I can get a copy of MY birth certificate which went to the grave with all the rest of my parent’s papers in 2009. What a joke.

Make sure you take everything they want, or they turn you back. Florida was one of the first states, where people had hard time getting licenses because of such bureaucracy. Passport, social security card, utility bill, vaccination records, certificate of eligibility from the Pope and blessing of the local mob boss.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited December 2019
    fintail said:

I don't know, plenty of people move in every day, mostly from those "commie" states up North :laughing: :wink:
    When it comes for transportation departments, it's one of the absolute leaders in the nation in innovation and general policies. I'd say even small things, like bridge aesthetics, including simple highway overpasses are way superior to other places I've been. I was blown away how ugly bridges were in Atlanta in comparison with my Tampa area. When you cross the State border, the differences are palpable for a keen eye.

BTW, if you think Florida is backwards "third world", you have just visit Louisiana and peek inside its representative's freezers.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

driver100 said:

If I had the right model, your ice maker is completely in the door rather than the first shelf of the freezer. The switch to turn off the ice maker is on the left side of the housing when you tilt and remove the ice cube holding box. Switch is on the inside next to the removable cube holder.

I assume you'll turn that off when you leave the fridge to return home, along with turning off the water line to the fridge.
    Thanks again, I found the switch as per your instructions, and turned the ice maker off....we hardly ever use ice, only if guests request it. Also put a note on my closing and opening notes to turn OFF or ON the ice maker.

One guy at pickleball told me he had to get a new fridge after only 5 years because THE ICE MAKER BROKE. That's like getting a new car to get a backup camera! Anyway, he bought one with 2 icemakers, one in the door and one down below. Now, an icemaker I could live without....trays would do.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Man, you guys do have problems with your fridges. Our fridge is set to 36 F, Samsung recommends 38 F. I like cold OJ. Our freezer is set to -6 F, Samsung recommends -2 F. If I wanted soft ice cream, I'd go to Dairy Queen. You guys are making it tougher than it has to be.

jmonroe
    Factory setting for Whirlpool is 37F for the fridge, 0F for the freezer. I guess people with Samsungs like things colder. The ice cream was frozen like cement at 0, it is probably like Kryptonite at -6. We always said you were one cold -------! :)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

suydam said:

qbrozen said:

OK, what’s going on in Florida? Every day something more bizarre. Robbers using a UPS truck as a get away vehicle? Explain that thinking!

Attempt to blend in with other UPS trucks?

Funny enough, I just saw something very suspicious 2 nights ago involving a UPS truck. As I drove past an abandoned dirt lot, I spotted a UPS truck back-to-back with a moving truck, rear doors open on both. I can't think of a reason for that other than offloading the UPS truck into the moving truck.
    Actually this is very sad. Two armed men hijacked a UPS truck and sped away. All the occupants were killed at the end of the police chase that ensued, including the driver, who was just a UPS employee covering for another driver that morning. He had a wife and 2 young children.
    I heard that an innocent bystander got killed too. How insane do criminals have to be to get into a shoot out with police.
    Suicidally insane.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Factory setting for Whirlpool is 37F for the fridge, 0F for the freezer. I guess people with Samsungs like things colder. The ice cream was frozen like cement at 0, it is probably like Kryptonite at -6. We always said you were one cold -------! :)
    Real ice cream at 0 F cannot be frozen like a brick. The law of physics dictates that. Note that I said "real" ice cream. I don't know the propotions of the ingredients in what is considered "real" ice cream but if they don't meet the prescribed amounts, like too much water vs. milk products, sugar substitutes vs. real sugar, etc. etc., ice cream will freeze at higher temps. Couple that with inaccurate indicated temps and who knows when ice cream, real or fake will freeze. Unless you check the temp of your fridge with a known-accurate temp device, I wouldn't trust the fridges indicated temp to be any better than +/- 2 or 3 degrees.

End of physics lesson.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Real ice cream at 0 F cannot be frozen like a brick. The law of physics dictates that. Note that I said "real" ice cream. I don't know the propotions of the ingredients in what is considered "real" ice cream but if they don't meet the prescribed amounts, like too much water vs. milk products, sugar substitutes vs. real sugar, etc. etc., ice cream will freeze at higher temps. Couple that with inaccurate indicated temps and who knows when ice cream, real or fake will freeze. Unless you check the temp of your fridge with a known-accurate temp device, I wouldn't trust the fridges indicated temp to be any better than +/- 2 or 3 degrees.

End of physics lesson.

jmonroe
    International Dairy Assoc says:
    At Home
    Do not allow ice cream to repeatedly soften and re-freeze. When ice cream's small ice crystals melt and re-freeze, they can eventually turn into large, unpalatable lumps.
    Your freezer should be set at between -5°F and 0°F. Ice cream is easy to dip between 6°F and 10°F, the ideal serving temperature range.
    Store ice cream in the main part of the freezer. Do not store ice cream in the freezer door, where ice cream can be subject to more fluctuating temperatures since the door is repeatedly open and shut..

Your -6 is off by 1 degree. I guess the 6F temp which is ideal for serving is a temp that makes the ice cream soft enough to dig out of the container. What am I supposed to do, take it out 10 minutes before using so it goes from 0 to 6 before I dig it out?

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

End of physics lesson.

jmonroe
    International Dairy Assoc says:
    At Home
    Do not allow ice cream to repeatedly soften and re-freeze. When ice cream's small ice crystals melt and re-freeze, they can eventually turn into large, unpalatable lumps.
    Your freezer should be set at between -5°F and 0°F. Ice cream is easy to dip between 6°F and 10°F, the ideal serving temperature range.
    Store ice cream in the main part of the freezer. Do not store ice cream in the freezer door, where ice cream can be subject to more fluctuating temperatures since the door is repeatedly open and shut..

Your -6 is off by 1 degree. I guess the 6F temp which is ideal for serving is a temp that makes the ice cream soft enough to dig out of the container. What am I supposed to do, take it out 10 minutes before using so it goes from 0 to 6 before I dig it out?
    Do you really need help with how to go about eating ice cream?

OK, since you asked, you can do like I do. Since Mrs. j like her ice cream to be like a brick, when I eat ice cream, I take it out for a few minutes and let it sit on the counter top so I can scoop it out. She just fights with it because she likes to chew her ice cream. I've offered to put my 1/2 HP hammer drill loaded with a chisel bit in one of her kitchen cabinets so she doesn't have to fight getting it out of the container but she doesn't like the thought of that "dirty thing" being in her kitchen. So do it my way or her way...your choice.

jmonroe
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Not moving from my state B)

Nobody will deny that FL can be aesthetically pleasing. Even the zooscape of Miami has beautiful areas. I like parts of FL too, but not enough to want to experience it full time.

"Georgia man" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Between the east side being on a direct subway line from either Brooklyn and Joisey or Cuba, the panhandle being south Mississippi, etc, it's a fun place. I think the sun does something, or maybe it's the water?

I don't think anything compares with MS/AL/LA, when the UN issues statements about poverty in that region, you know it is special.

dino001 said:

I don't know, plenty of people move in every day, mostly from those "commie" states up North :laughing: :wink:
    When it comes for transportation departments, it's one of the absolute leaders in the nation in innovation and general policies. I'd say even small things, like bridge aesthetics, including simple highway overpasses are way superior to other places I've been. I was blown away how ugly bridges were in Atlanta in comparison with my Tampa area. When you cross the State border, the differences are palpable for a keen eye.

BTW, if you think Florida is backwards "third world", you have just visit Louisiana and peek inside its representative's freezers.

I think corruption is everywhere in this great land. Even in my supposedly progressive area, I wonder how some things are done, especially along the lines of building permits - greased palms no doubt. The praetorian warrior sector has a hard job everywhere and is only human, I fear if there was real widespread accountability, they'd have a hard time finding employees who match even current levels of competency.

I quite like the area from around Daytona Beach northward, St. Augustine and areas to the north are even better.
    driver100 said:

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Our ice maker had broke back in 2011 and just used ice trays to make ice. I do like ice in my drinks but not enough to fix it or buy new until other things went. And last May, the fridge door of the side by side unit came off in my hands. The bottom thing rusted through so it wouldn't seat properly. Had to lift up the top and push in to close it properly. Wife couldn't do it, I could but it hurt my spine too much. Had the new one installed about 48 hours later. We're finished!
    Luckily I got it on sale the night before thanks to their putting out the signs a bit too early. They admitted their error and gave it to me for the lower price which made me smile. For once, I did get lucky. Also, last week bought a usb to lightning cable at Publix. It was marked with the wrong price and guess what, they gave it to me for free! I waned to pay something for it but the store manager came over after seeing the situation and again, refused to let me pay for it. I felt terrible but they said that's our policy. Be happy and use it in good health. Blew me away!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

fintail said:

I think corruption is everywhere in this great land. Even in my supposedly progressive area, I wonder how some things are done, especially along the lines of building permits - greased palms no doubt. .

I quite like the area from around Daytona Beach northward, St. Augustine and areas to the north are even better.

driver100 said:

Corruption is a part of government, hopefully it isn't as bad as it is in non-democratic countries. It is the nature of the beast.
    To get away from this topic, here is an update on Trixie who is 14 months old now.

Staying with cars, I will be driving her to the dog park this afternoon. She loves riding in the C 250.

driver100 said:

To get away from this topic, here is an update on Trixie who is 14 months old now.

Staying with cars, I will be driving her to the dog park this afternoon. She loves riding in the C 250.

Cute

There you go! She can be your backup camera. Put her in the backseat and train her to look out the
    back window and bark if she sees a car or person.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    driver100 said:

I guess people with Samsungs like things colder.

Perhaps it is a mitigation strategy for the inevitable day when the Samsung refrigerator fails prematurely and cannot be repaired. :disappointed:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    edited December 2019
    Cute dog.

Tom, you are a mean man, stirring the pot like that!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

I guess people with Samsungs like things colder.

Perhaps it is a mitigation strategy for the inevitable day when the Samsung refrigerator fails prematurely and cannot be repaired. :disappointed:

He is or was an engineer, so he probably planned for that!

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@oldfarmer50
    Are you really married then? If there's no record...

Short story
    Son and DIL married last October. The facilitator, or whatever his title was, who performed the ceremony neglected to remind them to get a marriage license. He was being paid to handle all those details. So as soon as they returned from the honeymoon in Key West, they were scrambling to the right offices to get that finished up. The date on the marriage license does not match their wedding date. LOL

Check out the requirements for marriage in their state. Here a marriage ceremony isnt valid unless there is a current marriage license at the time of the ceremony.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Oh no, @driver100 ....now you’ve done it....

Biscuit.....
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

He knows that, but, still, not as bad as here. It seems everyday they find someone ripping off the system.
    Interesting report on the local news the other day. A lot of older homes are getting flooding around them. This happens near new surveys, there is so much building going on that the rain water has no ground to sink into, so water runs off to where the lower older homes are, around the new survey.
    Usually they build ponds etc to catch the run off, ot builders have to preserve some wetlands, but, instead they can trade wetland areas and donate wetlands in some remote area far away from the new survey.
    Around here they have to have retainage lakes and so much open area per developed area. There is no way around it.

dino001 said:

fintail said:

Yeah? Try rural Appalachia.

fintail said:

Not moving from my state B)

Nobody will deny that FL can be aesthetically pleasing. Even the zooscape of Miami has beautiful areas. I like parts of FL too, but not enough to want to experience it full time.

"Georgia man" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Between the east side being on a direct subway line from either Brooklyn and Joisey or Cuba, the panhandle being south Mississippi, etc, it's a fun place. I think the sun does something, or maybe it's the water?

I don't think anything compares with MS/AL/LA, when the UN issues statements about poverty in that region, you know it is special.

Poverty is a relative term, generally speaking your poor if you make 60% or less than the median income of your area. So my income would make me poor in some areas but filthy rich in most areas of the world.

houdini1 said:

I have been signing in with my google acct for months now, and today it wouldn't work. I took a stab and used my ol houdini1 user name and password and it worked !! houdini1 is back and houdini2 is lost in the ether...at least for now !! Also got my 7900+ posts back. Took me back to August of 2018 !

C'mon man say it ain't so. You're ticking me off. I don't think I'll ever be the guy I used to be. :'(

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

@oldfarmer50
    Are you really married then? If there's no record...

Short story
    Son and DIL married last October. The facilitator, or whatever his title was, who performed the ceremony neglected to remind them to get a marriage license. He was being paid to handle all those details. So as soon as they returned from the honeymoon in Key West, they were scrambling to the right offices to get that finished up. The date on the marriage license does not match their wedding date. LOL

Check out the requirements for marriage in their state. Here a marriage ceremony isnt valid unless there is a current marriage license at the time of the ceremony.
    I’m beginning to wonder. I mentioned that to my wife this morning and she said “you mean I could have taken off anytime I wanted?”

That would just be my luck to find out we weren’t legally married the last 44 years. Hey, maybe I could get her to buy me a million dollar car and then default. No ding to my credit since she’s not my wife. Hmmmmmmmm.

Boy, do I hate the bureaucracy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2019

@abacomike .....you’re well out of “cataract surgery” by now and realize everything’s hunky dory! Little itchy for a day or two, but after that, you’ll rush into the 2nd one with no reservations.

Acura.....they are indeed cheap to own and operate...at least mine has been. That’s one of the reasons that is making it hard for me to get something else.

Had terrible pain in my eyeball beginning about 6 hours after the surgery. It was so bad I had to take morphine sulphate 30 mg tablets - one at 4:30 PM yesterday and another one at 9:00 PM. I didn't sleep much last night. Saw the doctor at 9:00 AM this morning. He said the cataract was so big, he couldn't believe I was able to see well enough to drive. That is why I had so much pain - swelling of the eye due to the fact he was working on the eye in surgery for almost an hour.

The first thing I noticed this morning was when I closed my left eye, it was obvious that the brightness and contrast had significantly improved in the right eye. I can't see very well out of the right eye - things are blurry. The walls in my bedroom look white with the right eye and beige with the left eye.

I see the doctor again on Friday morning.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@abacomike .....you’re well out of “cataract surgery” by now and realize everything’s hunky dory! Little itchy for a day or two, but after that, you’ll rush into the 2nd one with no reservations.

Acura.....they are indeed cheap to own and operate...at least mine has been. That’s one of the reasons that is making it hard for me to get something else.

Had terrible pain in my eyeball beginning about 6 hours after the surgery. It was so bad I had to take morphine sulphate 30 mg tablets - one at 4:30 PM yesterday and another one at 9:00 PM. I didn't sleep much last night. Saw the doctor at 9:00 AM this morning. He said the cataract was so big, he couldn't believe I was able to see well enough to drive. That is why I had so much pain - swelling of the eye due to the fact he was working on the eye in surgery for almost an hour.

The first thing I noticed this morning was when I closed my left eye, it was obvious that the brightness and contrast had significantly improved in the right eye. I can't see very well out of the right eye - things are blurry. The walls in my bedroom look white with the right eye and beige with the left eye.

Sorry to hear about your pain. To be honest, I've never heard of that. Now you have me wondering. I had cataract surgery on my right eye in '09, thankfully no pain. Just last week I went for my annual eye exam and I mentioned that I think it's time now for my left eye to be done. The doctor has said for years, "you'll know when it's time". He took one look in my left eye and said, "yep, I can see why you want it removed now". He agreed that it was pretty slow growing but I guess it finally hit the threshold for removal.

I'm scheduled for January 22. He'll be doing it the old fashioned way, with his trusted pocket knife, not laser. I better not have any pain. :@

Hope you feel a lot better very soon.

jmonroe
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    @abacomike — Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope it will resolve soon. At least the recovery is much faster with laser. Hang in there!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    abacomike said:

. That is why I had so much pain - swelling of the eye due to the fact he was working on the eye in surgery for almost an hour.

I'm sorry to hear you're having pain from this surgery. The good news is the doctor didn't see anything unexpected happening that would impede the recover.

Hang in there.

That's not the kind of poverty they were looking at - sometimes things are much worse when they go beyond a dictionary definition.

Poverty is a relative term, generally speaking your poor if you make 60% or less than the median income of your area. So my income would make me poor in some areas but filthy rich in most areas of the world.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    Hang in there Mike !!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

Hang in there Mike !!

+1

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    I'm sure Mike will be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel soon. :smile:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

If I was considering buying a Cadillac or Lincoln SUV, I would have to go with the Lincoln based on the nice exterior design. The XT5, and the model before it always looked like a mosquito to me - and I hate mosquitoes.

Love the color on that Lincoln. Pretty sharp looking design too.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @abacomike ....hmmmm....something’s not right. They prescribe Tylenol and steroid drops for pre-post cataract surgery and lens implant. If your eye pressure is high, they’ll prescribe Combigen. Morphine? An hour surgery?

I would request a different Dr for post surgery follow-up. I’d want a second opinion.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

If I was considering buying a Cadillac or Lincoln SUV, I would have to go with the Lincoln based on the nice exterior design. The XT5, and the model before it always looked like a mosquito to me - and I hate mosquitoes.

My problem with Lincolns, is I always see the Ford model they are cloned from. The local Ford dealer is also a Lincoln store and a Nissan store, all together. They seem to put a lot of people into Lincolns in this area. I wonder if they upsell them when they come in to shop Fords and suggest the other side of the showroom for a Lincoln.

I have 2 friends that have Lincolns. I think they fit the perfect Lincoln client. They have worked hard, they are in late 70s, they have always dreamed of having a luxury car. They grew up with American cars and a Cadillac or a Lincoln were true luxury cars. By cloning a Ford, Lincoln makes an affordable luxury car....and that is their niche market.

edited December 2019
    So Hyundai clones their regular models and it's not good: Genesis is a wannabee?

Ford clones their regular models and it's good: niche market?

BTW I saw a K9 Kia yesterday on the road, in the wild. I don't know if they still sell those, and not even sure where they fit into their ladder of models.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

I have 2 friends that have Lincolns. I think they fit the perfect Lincoln client. They have worked hard, they are in late 70s, they have always dreamed of having a luxury car. They grew up with American cars and a Cadillac or a Lincoln were true luxury cars. By cloning a Ford, Lincoln makes an affordable luxury car....and that is their niche market.

Affordable luxury could be Acura, VW, Volvo, Genesis, among others. Doesn't seem to be that niche.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

@abacomike ....hmmmm....something’s not right. They prescribe Tylenol and steroid drops for pre-post cataract surgery and lens implant. If your eye pressure is high, they’ll prescribe Combigen. Morphine? An hour surgery?

I would request a different Dr for post surgery follow-up. I’d want a second opinion.

+1. Laser cataract surgery is usually a 10-15 minute job, 1/2 hour tops. Never heard of morphine, usually just OTC Tylenol. Swelling pretty unusual too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Genesis is all unique models. No badge engineering. All RWD based too. More like the RWD Infiniti’s were not gussied up nissans.