Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    Genesis is a wannabe because Hyundai examined an MB and a BMW, maybe an Audi, and tried to make the same car for less money....even add extra goodies to entice buyers. The reviews come out and say you can get a car that is almost an MB or a BMW, for a lot less money. Then, after a year the little differences start to become apparent, and though it seemed close they just couldn't get it to be quite the same.

My friend bought his Genesis as a winter car when his Maserati wouldn't drive in snow.....he was so happy that he paid so little for a car that had all the features of a C Class or 325. About 3 months later he had to get rid of it, did nothing for him...it was just an appliance. The following year they did make a much better Genesis, but that made his even less desirable.....even the Genesis dealer didn't want to take it back.

That is what happens with a knock off wannabe.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    That Lincoln is attractive from most angles. But when the heck are they going to stop putting the reflective red strip across the trunk? I'm not a fan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I was looking at a 2019 C300 with 15000 miles on it. Now, don't get in a panic, Edmunds has sent me some emails since I have been interested in C's. $29900 seems like a good price to move up from a 2016 for $25700. In the pictures it looks almost too perfect, but what I don't get is why are they withholding this information?
    Vehicle Details
    Vehicle History & Condition
    One Owner
    This vehicle has 1 reported owner.
    Accident Data Not Provided

Accident information was not provided.
    Ask the dealer for these details
    Usage Type Not Provided
    Usage information was not provided.
    Ask the dealer for these details
    Title Information Not Provided
    Information about title/damage issues were not provided.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    driver100 said:

Genesis is a wannabe because Hyundai examined an MB and a BMW, maybe an Audi, and tried to make the same car for less money....even add extra goodies to entice buyers. The reviews come out and say you can get a car that is almost an MB or a BMW, for a lot less money. Then, after a year the little differences start to become apparent, and though it seemed close they just couldn't get it to be quite the same.

My friend bought his Genesis as a winter car when his Maserati wouldn't drive in snow.....he was so happy that he paid so little for a car that had all the features of a C Class or 325. About 3 months later he had to get rid of it, did nothing for him...it was just an appliance. The following year they did make a much better Genesis, but that made his even less desirable.....even the Genesis dealer didn't want to take it back.

Driver, that is exactly what Lexus did when they started out with the LS. benchmarked the big names, and make a comparable (and in many areas better) car with more stuff for less money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

my guess on that MB ad, if it is like carfax, they give you some high level stuff for free (like "we found 10 records") but if you want the details, you gotta pay for it.

qbrozen said:

That Lincoln is attractive from most angles. But when the heck are they going to stop putting the reflective red strip across the trunk? I'm not a fan.

I think they are trying to make all models have common features:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

Driver, that is exactly what Lexus did when they started out with the LS. benchmarked the big names, and make a comparable (and in many areas better) car with more stuff for less money.
    Stick, I agree, but Lexus got up to full luxury status very quickly. Lexus didn't go through much of a wannabe stage, they were desirable from the beginning....and a lot of people liked them better than the European standards.

It seems that Hyundai jumps into the market with a cheap version (think Pony, first Sonata, early Genesis) and then works to refine it....Lexus was already refined when it hit the marketplace. I know people who bought a Lexus who believed it was way superior to Euro cars....and in some ways it was.....at least for reliability, and maybe fit and finish.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

Genesis is all unique models. No badge engineering. All RWD based too. More like the RWD Infiniti’s were not gussied up nissans.

Isn't one of the Genesis models a gussied up Kia Stinger?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    driver100 said:

I think they are trying to make all models have common features:

Yes, they are. And that is why I want them to stop using that design element. It has thinned out over the years, but I've always thought it the most unattractive element in their vehicles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Kia used the same RWD platform designed for the premium brand. But the G70 is not a gussied up Kia.

Not like your Audi that is just a Golf a rounded off body!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

Stick, I agree, but Lexus got up to full luxury status very quickly. Lexus didn't go through much of a wannabe stage, they were desirable from the beginning....and a lot of people liked them better than the European standards.

It seems that Hyundai jumps into the market with a cheap version (think Pony, first Sonata, early Genesis) and then works to refine it....Lexus was already refined when it hit the marketplace. I know people who bought a Lexus who believed it was way superior to Euro cars....and in some ways it was.....at least for reliability, and maybe fit and finish.
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the only Lexus I consider to be a true luxury vehicle is the LS. All the others are on par with offerings from Acura, Volvo, Lincoln etc.

I’m not saying that the ES, RX etc aren’t great “luxurious” vehicles but not true luxury.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I guess another way of saying it is... if you consider the ES350 to be luxury you can’t exclude the MKZ. Both are FWD mid size cars that have roots in mainstream sedans.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    driver100 said:

fintail said:

I think corruption is everywhere in this great land. Even in my supposedly progressive area, I wonder how some things are done, especially along the lines of building permits - greased palms no doubt. .

I quite like the area from around Daytona Beach northward, St. Augustine and areas to the north are even better.

driver100 said:

I sometimes think of Florida as the wild west only it is the wild south. My neighbors live here year round, they are from Connecticut, they say there is unbelievable corruption.

Last week a pedophile who had numerous charges against him, they know he is guilty, got off completely because the search warrant issued was improper......not obtained with truthful information. Cop who got the warrant can't be charged, he left for a job in Detroit. Now this guy is out. Every day there are stories like this, many even more bizarre.

Corruption is a part of government, hopefully it isn't as bad as it is in non-democratic countries. It is the nature of the beast.
    To get away from this topic, here is an update on Trixie who is 14 months old now.

Staying with cars, I will be driving her to the dog park this afternoon. She loves riding in the C 250.

Is that a dog or a dog treat? Talk about wannabes. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    stickguy said:

Kia used the same RWD platform designed for the premium brand. But the G70 is not a gussied up Kia.

Not like your Audi that is just a Golf a rounded off body!

Shots fired B)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:

Driver, your comments are very snobbish! Most people can't afford an E Class Mercedes or a 5 series BMW equipped with all the goodies ($65,000+). The new Genesis G80 offers so much for the money. Why be so uppity about cars?

Jmonroe owns a Genesis - why insult his choice of cars? I am thinking seriously about one. I am insulted by your comments and I don't even have a G80!

2021 Genesis G90

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited December 2019
    "Is that a dog or a dog treat?"

In some quarters these are referred to as drop-kick dogs. OTOH, the ones the size of Shetland ponies aren't prizes either.

I'm a cat person, but some medium-sized dogs have won me over, especially if they don't yap.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    jmonroe1 said:

houdini1 said:

I have been signing in with my google acct for months now, and today it wouldn't work. I took a stab and used my ol houdini1 user name and password and it worked !! houdini1 is back and houdini2 is lost in the ether...at least for now !! Also got my 7900+ posts back. Took me back to August of 2018 !

C'mon man say it ain't so. You're ticking me off. I don't think I'll ever be the guy I used to be. :'(

jmonroe
    I thought you made it back at one point. No?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    driver100 said:

I would say something about the Genesis' much longer warranty, but I remember what they did to jmonroe.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Driver, your comments are very snobbish! Most people can't afford an E Class Mercedes or a 5 series BMW equipped with all the goodies ($65,000+). The new Genesis G80 offers so much for the money. Why be so uppity about cars?

Jmonroe owns a Genesis - why insult his choice of cars? I am thinking seriously about one. I am insulted by your comments and I don't even have a G80!
    I could probably swing a $65k MB but since I keep my cars a long time I wouldn’t want the expense of maintaining one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    "Driver, your comments are very snobbish!"

Ya think? As I recall, this was someone who didn't want to be seen in a VW.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

I would say something about the Genesis' much longer warranty, but I remember what they did to jmonroe.
    a big reason that when my cars are under warranty, I always take them to the dealership for routine services (oil changes). If something goes wrong related to one, they ain't pointing the finger at me!

houdini1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

houdini1 said:

I have been signing in with my google acct for months now, and today it wouldn't work. I took a stab and used my ol houdini1 user name and password and it worked !! houdini1 is back and houdini2 is lost in the ether...at least for now !! Also got my 7900+ posts back. Took me back to August of 2018 !

C'mon man say it ain't so. You're ticking me off. I don't think I'll ever be the guy I used to be. :'(

jmonroe
    I thought you made it back at one point. No?
    Nope, look at my post count. I'm a relative newbie. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    So speaking of luxury cars, my friend with the Tesla Model S P85D is parting ways with it after close to 60,000 miles. He was supposed to pick up a 760Li M Sport. I’m very excited to get my hands on a 12 cylinder car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387
    nyccarguy said:

So speaking of luxury cars, my friend with the Tesla Model S P85D is parting ways with it after close to 60,000 miles. He was supposed to pick up a 760Li M Sport. I’m very excited to get my hands on a 12 cylinder car.

Why the move back to internal combustion? Most I’ve heard don’t want to go back.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    fintail said:

That's not the kind of poverty they were looking at - sometimes things are much worse when they go beyond a dictionary definition.

Poverty is a relative term, generally speaking your poor if you make 60% or less than the median income of your area. So my income would make me poor in some areas but filthy rich in most areas of the world.

My point was that poverty is a relative term. Case in point, the poverty level in the U.S. is just under $12k for an individual while the medium income world wide for an individual is just under $3k. The average poor person in the U.S. has a T.V., car and a cell phone which many worldwide dont have.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

I have 2 friends that have Lincolns. I think they fit the perfect Lincoln client. They have worked hard, they are in late 70s, they have always dreamed of having a luxury car. They grew up with American cars and a Cadillac or a Lincoln were true luxury cars. By cloning a Ford, Lincoln makes an affordable luxury car....and that is their niche market.

Affordable luxury could be Acura, VW, Volvo, Genesis, among others. Doesn't seem to be that niche.
    The economist in me says that "affordable luxury" is an oxymoron, the definition of "luxury" excludes it from being "affordable". A more accurate term would be "entry level luxury".

edited December 2019
    nyccarguy said:

Didn’t realize they still offered a 12-cyl. Gotta wonder what the gain is when the 750 goes 0-60 in 4 flat. That’s already insane for such a beastly thing.

And $160k for a sedan? No thanks!

bragging rights if you can spend that much.

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Lets not get our underwear in a knot....JMonroe knows I am only joking with him......besides, he insulted my dog :'(

edited December 2019

"Driver, your comments are very snobbish!"

Ya think? As I recall, this was someone who didn't want to be seen in a VW.

Cdn....you seem to always pile on, but, to be accurate.....I thought the VW was a tremendous car for the price....it was only lacking enough power to get you into traffic or the highway safely. Had nothing to do with being seen it....I am driving an $11400 2014 C Class for half the year....if that is being a snob, hate to know what the common man would be driving.

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Lets not get our underwear in a knot....JMonroe knows I am only joking with him......besides, he insulted my dog :'(
    That wasn't an insult, it was a complement.

jmonroe
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Lets not get all high and mighty here. JMonroe knows I am only joking with him....he gives it right back. btw, I said I liked that new G80 and posted the picture the other day.
    Like I said, I am driving an $11400 stripped down C Class, with NO backup camera.......not much to be snobbish about.

nyccarguy said:

I have 12 cylinders, of course its across 3 cars. If you add the motorcycle then its 14 cylinders. B)

I did get a chance to drive a 12 cylinder car, it was a 1930s Lincoln. 0 to 60 in a breathtaking 20 seconds

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Morphine sulfate, that's what I take for my spinal issues. 60mg.'s twice a day in ER form and 15mg IR for the break through pain if it gets too severe, which unfortunately happens more and more. Up until September, I was taking the 60 mg. three times a day. But having chronic pain is something that is real for folks like me but for those that abuse this great drug, I and those like me get punished. I don't abuse my meds, they help me get through the day and hold down a job without the pain making it so I can't get out of bed. Those that abuse things have made the drug companies dictate to my pain doctor how much he can prescribe for me, now, how fair is that? Whatever, I've been cut back which makes the IR meds needed that much more.
    But trust me, it's a great drug for pain management. And without it, I don't know what I'd do. And I'm betting that it helped with the pain in your eye after the surgery. Pain is not something to take lightly and I'm quite lucky that I've got a pain doctor who gets it and is helping me live a normal life as much as I can!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I drive a VW, my wife an Audi. Trust me, her Audi is much better overall than my VW! And on this discussion about a stripped down MB, when you've got two nicer ones up north? So, you're up to three MB's? Are you kidding me??? Do you even read what you post in here???
    Sometimes sir, it's best to stop, and say nothing!! All I can do is shake my head here!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Morphine sulfate, that's what I take for my spinal issues. 60mg.'s twice a day in ER form and 15mg IR for the break through pain if it gets too severe, which unfortunately happens more and more. Up until September, I was taking the 60 mg. three times a day. But having chronic pain is something that is real for folks like me but for those that abuse this great drug, I and those like me get punished. I don't abuse my meds, they help me get through the day and hold down a job without the pain making it so I can't get out of bed. Those that abuse things have made the drug companies dictate to my pain doctor how much he can prescribe for me, now, how fair is that? Whatever, I've been cut back which makes the IR meds needed that much more.
    But trust me, it's a great drug for pain management. And without it, I don't know what I'd do. And I'm betting that it helped with the pain in your eye after the surgery. Pain is not something to take lightly and I'm quite lucky that I've got a pain doctor who gets it and is helping me live a normal life as much as I can!

I hate that stuff - I get hyper - can't sleep - constipated. But the pain in my eye was so bad I had to do something. My right eye is all black-and-blue like someone punched me. But I hate narcotics - I know that some people cannot withstand the pain without them.

2021 Genesis G90

I drive a VW, my wife an Audi. Trust me, her Audi is much better overall than my VW! And on this discussion about a stripped down MB, when you've got two nicer ones up north? So, you're up to three MB's? Are you kidding me??? Do you even read what you post in here???
    Sometimes sir, it's best to stop, and say nothing!! All I can do is shake my head here!

That sounds like a polite takeoff on the old saying:

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool...than to open it and remove all doubt."

jmonroe
    Got my MRI done today. Doc says the ACL is torn and I need surgery. Apparently it is like 6 mos recovery. Good god.

qbrozen said:

Got my MRI done today. Doc says the ACL is torn and I need surgery. Apparently it is like 6 mos recovery. Good god.

Hope it isn't too painful. I've heard that it can burn like hell until corrected by surgery. We're all pulling for a speedy and full recovery.

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    qbrozen said:

That truly sucks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I'd actually consider a Genesis G70- which is more than I can say about any vehicles from Buick, Kia, Lincoln, or Volvo.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

qbrozen said:

That’s brutal! When are you going to get it done? After the holidays? Not sure when your insurance year flips, but try and get it done before it does to minimize OOP.

qbrozen said:

Been there, done that. I feel for you QB. Lots of rehab needed to strengthen that knee. I pray you recover quickly and with a minimum of pain.

2021 Genesis G90

qbrozen said:

Sorry to hear QB....not nice to be out of commission for 6 months or so, although that sounds like it is repairable and will heal. Usually these injuries occur during sports....do you know when yours happened? Good luck with it, not nice to be sidelined for 6 months.

jmonroe1 said:

That sounds like a polite takeoff on the old saying:

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool...than to open it and remove all doubt."

jmonroe
    That is hilarious. Poor Sandy has to suffer with just a VW and an Audi :'(

Don’t yet know surgery date. I have to go “talk to him again” on Tuesday.

I hate hearing how long it is going to take. I am extremely impatient with injuries and restricted movement. This morning, I have been attempting to force some movement in the joint so I can at least straighten it out to get around easier. Very little gets done in this house without me and it is already a godawful mess.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Listen to your physical therapist :)

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Looked quickly at small and midsized luxury car. Genesis comes in respectable.....but, not at the top of the list, kinda what I have been saying.
    Interesting list, will look at it more when I have some time.
    Have to get to pickleball in my 7 year old C250....that has no backup camera, GPS, Blind spot warning, or Sirius.