Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• bsethu75bsethu75 Member Posts: 12
    All, i sold my vehicle to a dealer and got a voucher and they said i could come and collect the payment in couple of days, but when i went today, they said check is not ready. Sad part i already gave the title to them, can they change the voucher values or play any games? any ideas ? any experience similar situation like this, if so , what to do next ?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Yikes. What kind of dealer was this? A big franchise or a mom & pop shop? Or a "we finance anyone" place? No way in heck should you have signed over the title without money in hand.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• haydellameliahaydellamelia Member Posts: 23
    Just looking for some insight and advice..so bare with me. I have a 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE in EXCELLENT condition. It has 14,000 miles on it. The problem I have, is that we have made some STUPID decisions and I have negative equity in my vehicle (had a 14 Explorer, traded it in for a 14 Expedition, traded it in for a 16 Enclave...I don't need to be lectured. I know that it was dumb!) Anyways, what we are paying ($739 per month) is ridiculous. However we just paid off my husbands 15 Ford F150 which has 60,000 miles on it. We do not need his truck at all..So I know, personally the owner of the local Honda dealership and was thinking of trading in both vehicles for a Pilot. I absolutely love my Highlander, but I just can't see paying that astronomical amount for longer....
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Sell the F150 and use the money to pay down the highlander. They seem to be worth quite a bit if in good shape.

If you buy a new car, the payment monthly might be less, but you are still paying all the money, and even more because of fees and taxes on a buy. You are really just taking a paid for asset and selling it to buy a car.

Sometimes the best answer is to just make the painful payment until the car is paid for, and finally be out of the hole.

Could always refinance using the F150 collateral and drastically lower your payment, but I would say, if you can afford it, make the lump sum then keep the big payment to get done sooner.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Great advice and would certainly be the best outcome financially.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Some good advice above from @stickguy and @qbrozen .
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    bsethu75 said:

All, i sold my vehicle to a dealer and got a voucher and they said i could come and collect the payment in couple of days, but when i went today, they said check is not ready. Sad part i already gave the title to them, can they change the voucher values or play any games? any ideas ? any experience similar situation like this, if so , what to do next ?

At the very least, pin them down with a specific number as to exactly when you can pick up the check. If that time is not very soon, then tell them you want your title and keys back until such time that they produce the check.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    How much for a Tesla Truck with two shattered windows @qbrozen ?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    andres3 said:

Whoops! I'm sure that'll buff right out.
    andres3 said:

I'd guess $300 mill? Give or take.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

is that trade in or private party?

stickguy said:

is that trade in or private party?

Definitely private party. Contact Elon.

I’m wearing an Elon sweatshirt today. That might get me an insider deal!

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    bsethu75 said:

A "voucher" for what exactly? Good for a cruise to Hawaii? Or towards one of their overpriced used cars? If it's not resolved already, I'd contact a GOOD lawyer, preferably a junkyard dog kind of lawyer.
  • avas1269avas1269 Member Posts: 1
    Need help with current lease ending

Hi Ali,

My first ever lease is coming to end (2017 Nissan Rogue SV) and I'm not quite sure what to do since this is the first time I've had to bring it back. I'm way under the mileage (12k/year for 3 years and my mileage is currently 21,000) and the buyout price is $16,375. The car is in great condition aside from a front bumper scratch that's pretty large.

According to Edmunds score trade-in is $14.8k. Is there any scenario where I can trade this lease in for another lease without having to put significant money down and coming out with a good deal? Somehow I thought the very low mileage would help but not sure how that works. Currently, live in the city so not sure if it's worth it to buy a car at this point.

Any guidance appreciated!
    avas1269 said:

Need help with current lease ending

Hi Ali,

My first ever lease is coming to end (2017 Nissan Rogue SV) and I'm not quite sure what to do since this is the first time I've had to bring it back. I'm way under the mileage (12k/year for 3 years and my mileage is currently 21,000) and the buyout price is $16,375. The car is in great condition aside from a front bumper scratch that's pretty large.

According to Edmunds score trade-in is $14.8k. Is there any scenario where I can trade this lease in for another lease without having to put significant money down and coming out with a good deal? Somehow I thought the very low mileage would help but not sure how that works. Currently, live in the city so not sure if it's worth it to buy a car at this point.

Any guidance appreciated!

It is definitely worth less than the buyout. But that's where you win with leasing. The leasing company takes the hit, not you. You may have to pay for that scratch, though, and the disposition fee. You could get it waived by leasing another Nissan, but do you want to?

I don't know where you are, but I just saw an ad from a broker for a CX5 Touring for effectively $245/mo+tax with zero due at signing. I'd wager you paid considerably more for your Rogue. There is no reason why you have to pay money up front to get a good deal. Just gotta find the right vehicle and get the right deal.

with that, never a bad idea to hit a couple dealers t see what they can do. Even if they just take the car as is, you get out of any damage charges and the disposition fee.

Maybe. As it sits, it is probably in the $14k-$14.5k as a trade. BUT, it is over $15k at auction. So, would carvana/vroom go nuts and offer $16k? Maybe.

if you are only getting 16K, will they pay the buyout? because with that you are still looking at a wash.

just easier to give it back and walk away.

If you could get the buyout with Carvana etc you’ll be free of the dispo fee and any extra charges for the scratch. So even at a wash you can come out a little ahead.

• Laslo1942Laslo1942 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2019
    Hi Everyone! Any idea what the value might be for 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Turbo-Diesel, short bed 4X4? It's an unusual situation in that it only has 900 miles on it--purchased by a gentleman who soon crunched the fender and has unfortunately had his keys taken away.

While basically a new truck, it has an estimated $3,500 to $5,000 damage on it, none of it structural. (front bumper, small crease in fender, fender liner chewed up, cut in tire). This damage appears on Carfax as "damage" but not an accident. I'm seeing these advertised by dealers for around $55K--$59K. Since there's a re-design for 2020 models, which are now out there, those numbers seem optimistic.

I was thinking around $45K might be a safe bid. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Laslo
    Safe bid? So you are buying? For your own use? Is the damage fixed or not?

Yes, to buy from the conservator of the estate. Damage is not fixed. For personal use. Preliminary damage estimate is $3,800 from very good shop. So I'd be buying it "as is". Thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Laslo1942 said:

Yes, to buy from the conservator of the estate. Damage is not fixed. For personal use. Preliminary damage estimate is $3,800 from very good shop. So I'd be buying it "as is". Thank you.

Can you take it for an independent evaluation (including possible other issues)? That’s a big risk. You could possibly be out $50K for a $55K truck, but yours will have previous body work.

I’d want to have another $5K to $10K to play with.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2019
    Ah, good point. The estate said it got an offer from a Chevy dealer for $42,500 but they thought that was too low. I feel okay about the damage estimate. This shop fixes really expensive cars so they are high to begin with. I just want to be fair to everyone concerned, including myself! :) The truck is pretty loaded up with options, so I bet when he bought it in Dec. 2018 it was pricey. Thanks for this feedback!
    That is about a 70k truck I would assume. If you are keeping it awhile I would think it’s a pretty good deal. If you flip out often I wouldn’t want a dinged Carfax.

Alright, so here is my take on it.
    We’ve got a truck that, if it were clean, would get into the low 50s at auction. 52-53k. At this pricerange, and because it is a diesel, I’d probably be kind on the carfax ding and call it a 15% deduct. That puts us in at about $44.5-$45k. That would make a safe private party bid around $47k. Minus ... well... the ESTIMATE is $3800. If we take that at face value, that would put you at about $43k. But, hey, these are all guesstimates. I haven’t seen it. And diesel trucks really do have their own universe. If the Chevy dealer is willing to put out $42.5k, they’d be into it for about $46k after repairs and prep, I assume. Then they are listing it for $50-52k. So you’d probably be doing OK at 45 if you can get it for that.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I would just shop a dealer and get one of those $55K trucks, rather than pay $45K + $4K repairs, and have a previously damaged model

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks guys. I think that's a pretty clear view of it. It's difficult valuing a truck like this because it's both "new" and "used" at the same time, in a way. My plan of course was to let somebody else take the big depreciation hit for year 1 and then I'd have a nearly new truck at a good price. Buying a new 2019 leftover is another $10K at least.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Laslo1942 said:

Thanks guys. I think that's a pretty clear view of it. It's difficult valuing a truck like this because it's both "new" and "used" at the same time, in a way. My plan of course was to let somebody else take the big depreciation hit for year 1 and then I'd have a nearly new truck at a good price. Buying a new 2019 leftover is another $10K at least.

Do you need at HD 2500 Truck? I have a 2017 Chevy 1500 LTZ and it's great. My friend has a 2018 2500 diesel that I have driven and I wouldn't trade for it! It rides so much worse and is noisy. I use mine to tow, and have towed a 30' Airstream about 30K miles. No problems with my setup.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Q, the middle girl's 2008 Hyundai Accent SE got hit Thursday night. She's fine, just a bruised knee. It's down here in the South Miami area. Haven't heard if they're going to repair or total. Guessing a total once they get into the meat of it.

2008 Hyundai Accent SE
    Good condition. Some scratches.
    42K Dark gray over gray
    South Miami
    Tires at 50%
    Drives straight and true.

Thinking they're going to total it and give her maybe $3.5K for it. What says the expert? From what I've heard, hopefully I'll see pics later today. Needs new front drivers headlamp, front bumper, front fender & probably a 4-wheel alignment. Once they get in there, not sure what else they'll find.
    So, what's your opinion here? Looking towards a 2020 Hyundai Accent SE or a mid level Kia Rio as a replacement if Metlife does total it.
    Thanks so much for any insight you might have. She would rather them repair it but, I'd rather see them do the opposite. She's been quite lucky up to now with only one repair in year four, covered under warranty, a new brake light switch. Besides tires, batteries and oil changes, has been a great runabout for her to get to work and back home.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Because of the miles, it would break $2k at the block. Since insurance pays REPLACEMENT value, I would push like heck for $6k and not tale anything less than $5k. Do a nationwide search for similar ones for sale and see what you can find.

Thanks Q for the quick answer. Sounds pretty reasonable as it is in o k condition. Doesn't sparkle but not a dog either. It does it's intended job quite well, very appliance like but that's why the wife & daughter like it. Like others in here, I prefer a bit more in my d d to be honest...and am willing to pay the extra to get it. They, on the other hand, are not. To them, it's something to get from Point A to Point B...for us, so much more!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

qbrozen said:

Yikes. What kind of dealer was this? A big franchise or a mom & pop shop? Or a "we finance anyone" place? No way in heck should you have signed over the title without money in hand.

Thanks for your comment, i got the check.
    xwesx said:

bsethu75 said:

At the very least, pin them down with a specific number as to exactly when you can pick up the check. If that time is not very soon, then tell them you want your title and keys back until such time that they produce the check.
    Thanks xwesx, i got the check
    woodyww said:

bsethu75 said:

A "voucher" for what exactly? Good for a cruise to Hawaii? Or towards one of their overpriced used cars? If it's not resolved already, I'd contact a GOOD lawyer, preferably a junkyard dog kind of lawyer.
    Thanks woodyww, i got the check
  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53
    Hey guys - can you help me with a value for this car?

2007 Saturn Sky
    2.4L
    Auto
    Silver
    Good Condition with no mechanical issues or major flaws
    ZIP is 32163

Thanks!

2007 Saturn Sky
    2.4L
    Auto
    Silver
    ZIP is 32163

Thanks!

$2500 as a trade.

Sell it yourself. List it for $5995 and should see $5k for it without much fuss.

I would pay 5K for one. if it had a stick!

• therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53
    qbrozen said:

2007 Saturn Sky
    2.4L
    Auto
    Silver
    ZIP is 32163

Thanks!

$2500 as a trade.

Sell it yourself. List it for $5995 and should see $5k for it without much fuss.
    stickguy said:

I would pay 5K for one. if it had a stick!

Hah - thanks guys! Trying to help mom offload it. I’d buy it if it was a redline manual. 😄
    edited December 2019
    Q, need a quick quote. Metlife has decided to total my kid's 2008 Accent with 40,769 on the clock. They want to give her a check for $4053 which has her $400 deductible already taken out. It should really be for $4453 total but they need to take out her deductible of $400 netting her the $4053. Is this something we can try to see if they'll give her more? Hoping they'll get her deductible back from Geico and pass it on to her. Basically, are they being totally fair here? Is this amount negotiable at all??
    They only want to pay for a 5 day rental now that it's been totaled. She had a renal for just 1 day so far but brought it back to Enterprise. Is this short time period normal?
    Any help you could give what be great. Guessing we're going car shopping though really wanted to wait till the last week of December. My wife & daughter are anxiously awaiting our figures and advice here.
    Again, thanks for your help. This is not a happy time as she loves her Accent and with just under 41K, a nice vehicle!! We're in South Florida.

based on cars.com maybe a little light. If you can believe their "great deal" rating. not many with that low a miles, but I suspect on a cheap car like this, that won't matter nearly as much as if it was a fancy Euro model.

Oh, is this a 4 door or the 2 door hatch?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/795501206/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/790632122/overview/

did not realize until I started looking these up what a tiny little antique these are!

Q, need a quick quote. Metlife has decided to total my kid's 2008 Accent with 40,769 on the clock. They want to give her a check for $4053 which has her $400 deductible already taken out. It should really be for $4453 total but they need to take out her deductible of $400 netting her the $4053. Is this something we can try to see if they'll give her more? Hoping they'll get her deductible back from Geico and pass it on to her. Basically, are they being totally fair here? Is this amount negotiable at all??
    They only want to pay for a 5 day rental now that it's been totaled. She had a renal for just 1 day so far but brought it back to Enterprise. Is this short time period normal?
    Any help you could give what be great. Guessing we're going car shopping though really wanted to wait till the last week of December. My wife & daughter are anxiously awaiting our figures and advice here.
    Again, thanks for your help. This is not a happy time as she loves her Accent and with just under 41K, a nice vehicle!! We're in South Florida.

Senior moment? I just quoted this car. As for negotiation, not that I have ever done it, but simply challenge them to find you a comparable for $4400.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Hi Q, my friend is still on his minivan hunt... he plans to visit a local dealer that has a 2011 Chrysler Town & Country SXT, black over brown leather, unremarkable shape inside, 110 k miles, no accident history. Asking price is $4,950.

Using the Stetson Criterion™, after a friend who came up with it, the car probably passes. The question is, will it run for 10 cents a mile or $1,000 per year from the point of purchase? I'd say five more years and 50,000 more miles are no problem if it's in good shape today -- of course there will be maintenance costs along the way, and they can easily hit 10 cents a mile on their own. A modern minivan is no Chevy Prizm any way you look at it.

This is all a long-winded way of saying, this could probably work for him, but I have a hard time coming up with a real $$ number for this thing. I'll say Thank You now -- I don't want to clog up everyone's feed. -mathias
    hmmmm... got a vin? there is no such thing as a 2011 T&C SXT. That's a Dodge trim, and I'm pretty sure it didn't come with leather.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    When one of my kids was playing field hockey in college, the school would pay for minivans for their away games.
    If she wasn't getting the van herself, she would always tell the person picking it up to get the Chrysler because it has a USB. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Ah sh... you'd think I know better. I've scouted three of the silly things recently, and they do run into each other. It's a "2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L VIN: 2A4RR8DGXBR640657" ... I actually did take a picture of the VIN. I probably need professional help for obsessive mundane-car disorder.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

Senior moment? I just quoted this car. As for negotiation, not that I have ever done it, but simply challenge them to find you a comparable for $4400.
    I have experience fighting an insurance company for "more" on a total.

Print out "for sale" ads of equivalent cars that show favorable "asking prices" for your cause. They could always say "asking" prices are not real prices, but they will likely counter with something a bit higher to appease you.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Believe it or not, $4950 is cheap. It could get up there at auction if clean.