Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

ab348 said:

Nothing happening but I am curious to see what sort of end of year deals might motivate me.

But, thinking about leasing my next car. As such, and given I don’t get knuckle deep in leasehacker, Edmunds pricing, NADA, etc, what would the following lease for (2019- 2020)? No out of pocket except first and last.

-Genesis G70 3.3T (say, with a $53K sticker)
    -Kia Stinger GT2
    -Toyota Camry XSE V6
    -Honda Accord Touring 2.0T

Appreciate any insight!

What, no Avalon?

One of these might be a more economical choice:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-toyota-camry-trd-v6-auto-review/
    @ab348 ...I’m just throwing out some ideas. Rumor has it that the new TLX S-Type is going to get a price bump more in line with what Acura considers its competition (M Series and S-Audi). That’s closing in on $60K. At that price, I’m not a player.

Avalon looks pretty good. But, from what I understand, the Camry is better in some ways. I was pretty impressed with the one my son drove....to the point where I don’t know why someone would spend more money on a Lexus.

I REALLY like the Stinger GT platform. If I purchase, and considering the deals I could have had on last years, and again, this years models, it might be a strong possibility. If I lease, will cross it off the list. One would think that since they’re not selling, Kia would be throwing lease support on it. Apparently, they’re not (or the resale values are so poor, it wouldn’t matter if they did).

Genesis....they’re just hard to come by around these parts. I liked the one I test drove. There’s only one dealer, and he doesn’t carry much stock (or can’t get much stock). Talk about a sure fire way to bury a brand before they even take root.

I know the Accord. Trying to figure out if I’d be happy with a car that drives similarly to my TLX, only with a 4 cyl (albeit a very, very good one).

Never thought about the Volvo. Will look at the S60.

Nothing imminent. Just thought I’d see what’s out there for end of year sell offs. Doubt I’ll do anything, unless I’m floored by a car/deal.
    If you're going to be out test-driving sedans...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    fintail said:

Magic eraser is my interior solution, but press lightly, it can ruin the finish on some materials if you press too hard.

I would say no matter what you are using press lightly. If it's not working you can alway press a little harder, however if you press too hard and damage the material you cannot go back and press lighter.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    I agree with @tifighter - given the cost of the sedans you're considering, it would be wise to include the Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor Long Range OR the Performance.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just noticed that we've cracked the one MILLION mark of views of this discussion. Woo woo... and there are over 100,000 posts in here.

You guys must have computers in every room ;)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    stickguy said:

I'm not buying any 7 YO car at this point.

so if in near future I have $1,500 in pending service costs (T Belt, water pump, plugs, various fluids), should just apply that against the cost of a new car instead!

I got a 7 year old C250 that I could let you have for $15000.
    I would do the same if it was financially possible....rather than sink $1500 into an older car, would rather put that money into a newer car. It's a gamble, will that $1500 make the car good for 2 or 3 years, or is it the beginning of even more repairs.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    to me it depends on my long range plan. If I want to keep the old one until 10 years/100K (roughly, whichever comes first) then I would bite the bullet and do everything possible and be good to go for another 3 years, easy. But, if I am planning on moving on within a year say, I will do it before dumping money into the old one that I will never see back.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

I was working on the wife about her car. Soon will be due for some bigger services. Putting off the 60K AT and diff fluid changes (car going in for next service at 58K before the holidays) until next time (I do them sooner than required anyway). But poking around, I forgot that the V6 has a timing belt, and even though I am way under miles they go by time also, and that might be 7 years (at least it used to be), and I recently passed that mark.

so if in near future I have $1,500 in pending service costs (T Belt, water pump, plugs, various fluids), should just apply that against the cost of a new car instead!

Don’t sweat that timing belt, one of my cars is going on 20 years and it might not ever been changed.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I generally find, if I am 30 pages into a book and it is boring, it doesn't get much better after that, a movie, about 20 minutes, a TV Show about 10 minutes, a car getting better after a repair of $1000, very few times do things get turned around and the car becomes good again (except if they are regular maintenance items).

I was talking about just required maintenance items. The stuff that you spend a lot of money on, and don't notice one iota of difference. At least with something like new tires, you experience the difference!

Farmer, I believe that my car has an interference engine, so if the belt goes, so does the engine. Car is still worth too much to take that risk. If I still had my old TL with 175K+, I would just let that one go as long as it could.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    PF_Flyer said:

Just noticed that we've cracked the one MILLION mark of views of this discussion. Woo woo... and there are over 100,000 posts in here.

You guys must have computers in every room ;)

You don't really think that the original @jmonroe shows up and Edmunds just magically hits that mark is a coincidence do you? :o

You're welcome.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Heh... fun with numbers... if the average view takes just 5 minutes (I would wager it's longer) that would mean 9.5 YEARS has been spent reading this content. And this incarnation of Cars & Convos is only 5.5 years old
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    andres3 said:

CR tells it like it is.

I’m not sure how to interpret that. CR polls CR readers. As I believe we have discussed here before, that alone skews results. So “like it is” as far as their little microverse is concerned.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    stickguy said:

I was working on the wife about her car. Soon will be due for some bigger services. Putting off the 60K AT and diff fluid changes (car going in for next service at 58K before the holidays) until next time (I do them sooner than required anyway). But poking around, I forgot that the V6 has a timing belt, and even though I am way under miles they go by time also, and that might be 7 years (at least it used to be), and I recently passed that mark.

Time to cut bait. Spending that much on a car you won't be keeping for another 5 years makes little sense.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Only $20k to get a murder pardon. Dang, I’m heading to Kentucky with my shooting iron and checkbook. :@

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Only $20k to get a murder pardon. Dang, I’m heading to Kentucky with my shooting iron and checkbook. :@
    Good place to be if you need a pardon.....not so good if you are an innocent victim.
    Governors should not have the power to grant pardons...that is asking for corruption.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Now you know why he got voted out...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Do we want to rehash all the office holders who have pardoned questionable figures all the way back to 42's pardons? I think that's too political.

In fact, I think this is more of a problem and it's been done yesterday IIRC:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/474158-kentucky-governor-to-restore-ex-felon-voting-rights

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    I don't giving felons the right to vote is a big deal, they do not make a large portion of the voting population and most of them won't vote anyway.
    Too easy for the cops with a warrant to find them. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Nothing good comes of us discussing this particular topic here. May I gently suggest a left turn back out of politics?
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I think traffic infractions should take away voting rights!

LOL! just kidding. I agree, @28firefighter left turn out of politics taken right here!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Nothing good comes of us discussing this particular topic here. May I gently suggest a left turn back out of politics?

Good idea.. mea culpa

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2019
    I got some good info from that discussion, where not to move to. :'(
    I do maybe detect some interstate rivalry in the topic.
    If you think Kentucky is bad look what the birds in LasVegas are wearing.

Maybe those birds are getting ready for the Kentucky Derby.

Good one... LOL

Just came back from Walmart. My last two visits there have found the store very busy with people spending--at least their shopping carts have lots of stuff in them.

I went to pick up 1-hour photos I had printed 1:30 earlier of the DIL and son's trip to New Zealand. My wife is making a photo album for them. No they didn't go to the volcano while they were there...

Changing the subject to cars: I mentioned again to my wife that I want to stop at the Subaru dealer some day to look at cars for how their ride height is for sliding in and out. Her reaction was again one of surprise.

Because @Oldfarmer50 found the Soul to be easy access, I pointed those out in traffic and said they are a good ride height for getting in and out.

Why a "left" turn though?

@driver100,
    The offended posters are 'Left Coasters'. :)

That looks like one of those pardoned jailbirds.

jmonroe

For the record I may live here, but I’m Philly through and through.

For the record I may live here, but I’m Philly through and through.

My condolences. B)

@28firefighter,
    I was surprised by your post. You need to get your East Coast mojo back.
    One time I went to a Phillies games and went into an area where they had small TV's at the tables.
    As I walked by a table, I saw the 'Sixers were in a playoff game, so I asked the guy sitting there, 'Who's winning?'
    He looks at me like I'm a turd and says 'It's 2 to 2, you figure it out'. :)

@28firefighter,
    I was surprised by your post. You need to get your East Coast mojo back.
    One time I went to a Phillies games and went into an area where they had small TV's at the tables.
    As I walked by a table, I saw the 'Sixers were in a playoff game, so I asked the guy sitting there, 'Who's winning?'
    He looks at me like I'm a turd and says 'It's 2 to 2, you figure it out'. :)

Sounds like home to me!

I was more concerned with us headed down the inevitable debate where someone gets offended, tempers flare, and our fearless leaders delete all the posts anyway.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The only thing I'll say about our ex-governor is that he managed to beat himself by continually alienating folks on both sides of the aisle. His point man in my county did his utmost to have the governor appoint me to the vacant Commonwealth's Attorney position but he picked my eventual opponent- who I beat by six points in spite of being outspent nearly 2-1. He also appointed the Northern KY Judge who I posted about a few days ago. He did appoint some good people in a few cases but most of the people he appointed to vacant offices were beaten in their subsequent elections.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

fintail said:

I love the lightness of that interior, although I'd be cleaning the steering wheel every other day.

These latest Volvos are so nice, I sincerely doubt the brand is turning a profit for Geely/PRC. The R&D can't be cheap.

tjc78 said:

It’s an S60 T6 Inscription.

With the black on the outer rim, it’s not too bad.

I have had to clean the blue tint off the seats a few times now but that happens even on the darker seats in my wife’s car.
    Don't buy cheap jeans when you have those beautiful white seats......the blue die comes off.
    IDK I mostly have Levi’s and Nautica jeans so... maybe those $90 Lucky brand don’t bleed but not a fan of the way they fit.
    $90 for a pair of jeans? If you could afford that price why would you buy jeans?

Reminds me of the time my rich niece came to visit and was wearing jeans that were ripped to shreds. I commented on their condition and she told be they were “genuine cowboy worn jeans” which was the latest trend. Only $150.

I didn’t have the heart to ask how they found a cowboy with the same figure as a teen age girl. :)
    Not to mention how they got those jeans off of said cowboy and how he feels about the whole deal.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

I want to welcome our two members back from a leave of absence, Houdini1 and Jmonroe.

Thank you sir !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

For less money you could go to the zone of death.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe said:
    HEY, LOOK WHOSE BACK !!!

Thanks @houdini1. I think I'm going to get my old post count back but I'm probably going to lose the imposters post count. I guess I can't ask for everything.

Thanks again @houdini1.

jmonroe (the real one)

You mean you didn't try that in the first place a year and a half ago? :p

edited December 2019

Changing the subject to cars: I mentioned again to my wife that I want to stop at the Subaru dealer some day to look at cars for how their ride height is for sliding in and out. Her reaction was again one of surprise.

Because @Oldfarmer50 found the Soul to be easy access, I pointed those out in traffic and said they are a good ride height for getting in and out.

But could she stand to ride around in a Soul?

Speaking of the Soul, as I mentioned before it has a GDI 2.0L. I’ve been reading about Honda’s problem with gas dilution of the oil on their GDI turbo. I was wondering if all GDI had the same problem or is it specific to Honda or to turbo motors.

Any thoughts?

that was a Honda specific issue. Not sure if directly related to the turbo though.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    No interstate rivalry here. I actually love N. Ky. Love Louisville and Lexington. Love the bourbon trail. I spend quite a bit of time socializing in Newport and Covington. Fact is, there are quite a few of our pro-athletes who live in N Ky and commute across the OH River.

But, being in close proximity to the area, I am glad the fine people voted their ex-governor out. Nothing I’ve seen or read about him has been good!

End of my comments.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

jmonroe said:
    HEY, LOOK WHOSE BACK !!!

Thanks @houdini1. I think I'm going to get my old post count back but I'm probably going to lose the imposters post count. I guess I can't ask for everything.

Thanks again @houdini1.

jmonroe (the real one)

You mean you didn't try that in the first place a year and a half ago? :p
    I can't tell you how many times I tried to log in with my old info both before and after the imposter showed up. It never worked so I just stopped trying and let the imposter have his way. Edmunds obviously fixed the problem but never let us know. Maybe they don't even know it's fixed.

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

Edmunds obviously fixed the problem but never let us know. Maybe they don't even know it's fixed.

jmonroe

They seem to have totally given up on trying to fix the non-functioning pull-downs when making a post and the ability to post a locally-hosted picture.

OTOH I guess we should be grateful for small favors after the awful "rich editor" experience.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Well, it had to happen eventually, I posted on the "Tales from Under the Hood" thread about how VW dealers have a well deserved reputation for incompetence- my example being that 75% of the VW dealer in my area were not aware that the DSG transmission needed servicing every 40k miles. As you might expect, one individual on that thread is the preeminent apologist for any and all incompetent automotive techs and is twisting himself into a pretzel to excuse the rank ignorance of the VW know-nothings.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

Farmer, I believe that my car has an interference engine, so if the belt goes, so does the engine. Car is still worth too much to take that risk. If I still had my old TL with 175K+, I would just let that one go as long as it could.

Yeah, mine is too but it’s worth so little a timing belt change would cost half it’s value. Might still do it though.

ab348 said:

jmonroe said:

Edmunds obviously fixed the problem but never let us know. Maybe they don't even know it's fixed.

jmonroe

They seem to have totally given up on trying to fix the non-functioning pull-downs when making a post and the ability to post a locally-hosted picture.

OTOH I guess we should be grateful for small favors after the awful "rich editor" experience.
    I still have occasional trouble posting pictures or emotorcons. Interestingly, when that happens if I backspace to the previous page and post from there it usually works. Go figure.

It is likely something with its root cause in Windows and the sheer and utter disaster that thing is. I just got a new PC yesterday with nothing on it and went through the hoops of setting up Win10. Aside from the crapola that is MS Onedrive (just say no, don't have anything to do with it, trust me), using Firefox on it right now, everything here works the way it used to. But for whatever reason the version of Win10 on this machine behaves and looks differently than the other two, both of which are supposedly the latest and greatest, go figure. Test pic for attention: