Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited dealer-installed remote start problem

dmnesmithdmnesmith Member Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in Hyundai

My wife had a Hyundai remote start installed on her new 2011 Santa Fe Limited. I recently asked her why she never seems to use it and she said it does not turn on heat or air when you remote start until you turn the key in the ignition switch. The manual says it will pre-heat or pre-cool depending on how you left controls when you exited the vehicle. Took back to dealer and the service manager says it will not work with the automatic climate control system. I don't understand why they sold it if that is the issue as temperature control would be the only reason for the auto start. When I call Hyundai customer service they don't know but basically tell me that the service manager is always right. Anyone have any experience with this remote start?

Answers

• goater1953goater1953 Member Posts: 1

Hello I don't if what you have is an actual Hyundai remote start or an after market remote start. My guess would be the dealer had a local installer come to the dealership and install one. That being said its possible that the installer did not hook up all the ignition wires from the remote start. The aftermarket remote starters usually come with three switched ignition wires. That person only hooked up the bare minimum to get the vehicle running. There are three switched wires coming from the ignition switch, one is on in the accessory position(radio e.g.), another is on in the run and start positions(true ignition for the vehicle to run) and the other wire is on in run only(climate control functions). The installer may have only hooked up the true ignition and starter wires. Hooking up the other ignition wire will fix the problem. I have installed close to a hundred remote starters over the years. My wife and I have purchased a 2011 Santa Fe Limited which we will be picking up this Saturday. I plan on installing a remote starter in this vehicle and have looked up the wiring diagrams. The ignition switch circuit is typical and not at all a problem to interface to. Hope this helps. Ask the dealer if the remote is a genuine Hyundai remote starter and if its not then show him this reply and tell him to have the installer fix it correctly. I'll answer any other questions you might have. I could provide you with the wiring diagram showing what wires need to be hooked up.

Bill

• dmnesmithdmnesmith Member Posts: 2

Thank you for your reply. The remote start we have was installed by the dealer and it is an actual Hyundai remote start. I have the owner's guide that came with it but no wiring diagram. This is what the service manager wrote on our service report. "Customer states that the A/C and heater will not turn on with the remote start. The vehicle is working as designed. The vehicle has to see the ignition switch signal to turn on the A/C system. Our remote start system is not able to turn on the mechanical cylinder for the auto A/C system." This doesn't make any sense to me. The manual states that you should be careful to turn off the wipers when parking as they will turn on with the remote start if they are left on. My wipers do not turn on with the remote start and I don't think that has anything to do with the mechanical cylinder. Customer service has been no help as they keep telling me that the service manager knows best. Thanks again

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    edited August 2014

Yeah... if your HVAC system doesn't work with the remote start, then what is the point in having it? I'd try another Hyundai dealer, because this one has screwed something up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• VinTroFloVinTroFlo Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    I'm just wondering if this problem was ever solved, as I've got a similar issue.  My remote start worked fine until about a year ago, when the heater and the headlights stopped coming on.  The parking lights and the radio still come on though.  Dealer was no help on this issue. 
     2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
  • MandiPitMandiPit Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same issue on my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe but the remote start used to work to turn on the heat/AC & just stopper engaging the heat a few weeks ago. The electrical is all functioning but the heat & heat panel only comes on when the key is in the ignition & turned to ON.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    Do the headlights/foglights come on when using the remote start, or do they also require the ignition switch to be turned on?
  • VinTroFloVinTroFlo Member Posts: 2

Do the headlights/foglights come on when using the remote start, or do they also require the ignition switch to be turned on?

My headlights no longer come on, but they previously would come on when using the remote start. Radio and parking lights still come on when remote started, headlights and heater no longer come on when remote started.
  • NiagaraJimNiagaraJim Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021
    2011 Santa Fe remote starter does not work after the battery died. How hard is it to program these things?