Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    oh man. Manual trans, light interior, and low miles. Very rare find.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,176
    qbrozen said:

Yes... but, a limited audience.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    qbrozen said:

Light interior is right. I don't think I'd buy it even if it came with a lifetime supply of Saran wrap. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    The ad states “Selling slowly”. Wonder why...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited December 2019
    well I like it. I bet $5k would buy it.

Hey, stick, did you see the "holiday sale" on rodo for the Passport?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056

Question for all you folks with turbo engines. I know the synthetic oil companies say one can go about 10K between changes. But I'm a bit conservative, and do them around the 7500 mark. Right now, I'm at about the 4K mark and my car just showed me a notice that I'm 1000 miles away from needing a change again. 5K intervals seem a bit to close for me so what's the feeling amongst you folks? Do I wait till the 7.5K

Sandy, we've had 3 cars with turbos (CX-7, Jetta, and the daughters MINI). The CX-7 went in for service every 5000 miles. The Jetta went in once a year during the lease term, but I was averaging about 5-6K per year. The MINI goes in when the service indicator suggests - also about once a year, and it's been doing maybe 7-8K per year.

Never hurts to err on the side of caution - if something catastrophic happens, and it's traced back to the oil change intervals, you'll never forgive yourself.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

Hey, stick, did you see the "holiday sale" on rodo for the Passport?

There is some trim consolidation for the Passport & Ridgeline coming for 2020. Looks like a good deal for just over $300/month on a 36/15K lease on my rodo app. 36 months is way too long though. I don't think the 2019 SPORT trim has Honda Sensing. $330 per month for 24 months with 15K per year.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Nice Mazda. Didn’t know they came with a stick.

Q, a ridgeline actually seems like the perfect do it all car for you to replace the equinox.

We looked at the passport. Found it to be too big and bulky. I don’t think the wife liked the nose either. But it came off the list.

The sport is also pretty stripped on both that and the ridgeline. Good deal, if you can live with one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    EV charger was installed today. Pretty nifty and really clean installation.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    edited December 2019
    nyccarguy said:

Looks like someone is trying to flip the car for a profit. "I recently restored..." translates into I bought the car for $4K (maybe $4,500). What's with the staged pics in the woods? A very cool car and very nicely done, but that's a lot of money for 170,000 miles.
    @breld looked at a Prelude for me that fit that description and when the seller got no takers he eventually lowered the selling price close to or at his original purchase price. Unless it's a pristine, well sorted low mileage example I don't understand the thought process some people have with cars like that.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I’d pay 5 or 6k for it. Not double.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,176
    I don't really follow this market, but what the heck happened to the Kia Sorento vs. the Santa Fe? Plenty of shoppers in the forums for the Santa Fe, but the Sorento gets a couple of questions per week, at most.

Aren't they similar vehicles?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think they are built off the same platform, but the Santa Fe has a refreshed and good-looking new body, while Sorrento is very conservative-looking and (if I'm any indication) tends not to get a second glance.

Kia is missing a chance on its SUVs. The Sportage could be a better seller but it has an unattractive front end that makes it look strange and the rest of it is no great shakes either. They refreshed it recently but it only improved it slightly. The entire thing needs a reskin. Meanwhile the Tucson is everywhere.

The Santa Fe was redesigned for 2019, and is a big upgrade. I think the Kia is still based on the prior design.

stickguy said:

Q, a ridgeline actually seems like the perfect do it all car for you to replace the equinox.

Some of us *cough*me*cough* actually told him that at the time. But did he listen? Nooooooooooo. :laughing:

I think the exception is the Telluride. It looks better and seems to sell better to although it did get a head start.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Funny, I like the Sportage much better than the Tucson and the Sorrento much better than the Santa Fe, go figure. Different strokes I guess. I also think the Sorrento drives nicer to be honest. Crazy really but think the Sorrento looks and feels a bit more upscale also. One of my Hertz co-workers had a Sorrento, black over black, and it looked damn near perfect. But it really is stunning in either their maroon or gray color. And I really did drive a lot of them over at Hertz as my lead knew that I liked Hyundai/Kia products.
    Now, at Enterprise drive only vehicles that have been sold to their new owners and never deal with rentable vehicles or customers. Like this much better as the customers used to annoy me when they'd lie to the rental guys faces or just be somewhat rude when I either picked them up or took them home. Only bad thing is I no longer drive the new vehicles that come into the holding area which I really did enjoy.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

They let us know today that starting on January 1st, we need to move 1500 vehicles within a few weeks time frame so, we'll be starting at 7:00 am every morning and they're going to encourage anyone who wants to sign up for more days/hours. Asked for volunteers for Wednesday, but only one guy raised his hand. I'll be in St. Cloud the whole week, something I'm not changing even one day to come home early. Leaving Saturday morning around 10 or so and will return that following Sunday after brunch with the kids. Got a feeling 2020 is going to turn into a busy year and I'll be working a lot more than any of these prior years, which is just fine with me, as I'd like to make a bit more than these past few ones.
    Was talking with the pharmacist daughter who just had the fender bender, and she's also ready to move up closer to her sister in the Orlando area. Plenty of hospitals there where she can get a job at so will make it easier for me to convince mom to move sooner.
    I'd be looking to buy something next week while I'm there if I had my way to be honest. But this will happen easier now that I know this info. Giving myself a couple of years to work at Enterprise and then calling it quits on a much deserved second retirement!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Enterprise must own one heck of a lot of cars in total!

this what you fan boy purists want in a GTI? 3 pedals, plaid seats, and no hole in the roof?

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2015-volkswagen-golf_gti-se-used-3vw5t7au6fm014673.html

stickguy said:

this what you fan boy purists want in a GTI? 3 pedals, plaid seats, and no hole in the roof?

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2015-volkswagen-golf_gti-se-used-3vw5t7au6fm014673.html

Missing the lighting package.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

stickguy said:

Missing the lighting package.
    Agreed. I wouldn't consider a new one the way VWoA has screwed up the option packages.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

I like it.
    But the title states heated seats and moonroof.

it does. Just don't see one. There is a console up on the roof that looks like it is where the hole should be.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    qbrozen said:

Agreed. I like it too!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

EV charger was installed today. Pretty nifty and really clean installation.

what amperage is the circuit?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Only have 2 regrets with my Golf. Should've gone for the 2016 model but, and SEL and also, the lighting package. Would've had the nicer seats, push button start and the usb/aux connection already in place, thanks to it being an SEL model. Besides that, I've enjoyed my ownership of it. Sure the earlier issues could've not happened and the door lock issue could've not happened. But beside these few things, it's been an enjoyable ownership experience but now, finally, think I'm ready to let go of it. My eyes have finally opened to some other options. So, we'll see how this all plays out!

edited December 2019
    I have to share this ad that I got in my email. It is really irksome how they twist the rules of truth in advertising. IMHO, it should not be acceptable to enclose a detail within an ad that does not apply to that ad. As you can see with this one (and all others in this same email I received), the "$0 down" is not tied to the screamer monthly.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited December 2019
    Yeah such a screamer that.... poor lease to start and then the zero down with fine print.

IMHO there should be a standard and all leases should be advertised “plus tax”’only there is no way to be fair otherwise.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    @qbrozen - how did the doctor visit about the ACL tear go? Schedule ACL reconstruction?
    mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen - how did the doctor visit about the ACL tear go? Schedule ACL reconstruction?

Was a silly visit. He wants me to start on 4 weeks pre-surgery PT. Why he couldn’t just tell me that on the phone and save me nearly a week, I have no idea.

I do have the task of deciding where the ligament comes from. I am definitely not going with one from a cadaver. I have 3 choices from my own body, one of which is not up to the task, so don’t know how that is even an option. That leaves me with either pulling one from the front of my knee or from the quad. I’m leaning toward the latter because it is the strongest, but more research is in order. How the heck I don’t have a synthetic option is also beyond me.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    tjc78 said:

IMHO there should be a standard and all leases should be advertised “plus tax”’only there is no way to be fair otherwise.

Exactly. They should have to advertise lesse monthly payments with zero down and including all dealer fees.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Was a silly visit. He wants me to start on 4 weeks pre-surgery PT. Why he couldn’t just tell me that on the phone and save me nearly a week, I have no idea.
    They get to bill for an office visit that way. Got to keep the lights on, you know!
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

They get to bill for an office visit that way. Got to keep the lights on, you know!
    Exactly right. The public system up here is the same.

I thought I read that most new ligaments were synthetic these days, Gore-Tex or some such thing. But I wouldn't hesitate about one from a cadaver. Why put yourself through more surgery pain and rehab than you need to?

Why not use a cadaver? Just curious. Not like they need it.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

I do have the task of deciding where the ligament comes from. I am definitely not going with one from a cadaver. I have 3 choices from my own body, one of which is not up to the task, so don’t know how that is even an option. That leaves me with either pulling one from the front of my knee or from the quad. I’m leaning toward the latter because it is the strongest, but more research is in order. How the heck I don’t have a synthetic option is also beyond me.
    Why he couldn’t just tell me that on the phone and save me nearly a week, I have no idea

Unfortunately you KNOW why. This way he gets paid for an office visit by the insurance company.

I'll ask my wife, the Physical Therapist what she thinks. Do you feel comfortable with this Doctor? I only ask because my Dad tore his quad tendon last year. He went to the hospital at 1st, then made a follow up appointment with the Doctor he saw in the ER. I happen to know an Orthopedic Surgeon from hockey (our sons played together), told him what happened and he saw my Dad in his office the next day. He took one look at my Dads's knee. My Dad said: "I know, you need to get an MRI done." Doc said: "Nope. I can tell by looking that your tore your Quad Tendon."

Some of these hospitals that specialize in knee injuries do incredible things, like HSS (Hospital for Special Surgery). I'm sure there might be something like that in your area or in Philadelphia. Just a thought. Either way, I wish you a speedy & full recovery.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

corvette said:

tjc78 said:

Exactly. They should have to advertise lesse monthly payments with zero down and including all dealer fees.
    Don't forget dealer pages that list a sale price with every incentive possible applied that only a subset of prospective customers actually qualify for.
    Thanks, folks.

This is a pretty large ortho practice so I think it is a good place. I do really like the doc. About the nicest physician I have ever met.

As for the cadaver, my issue is that I don’t know who it is coming from. Not to sound like a jerk, but I’m a big, strong guy. Unless I get to walk in and pick out the body, I don’t trust that I would get one that would be suitable for me.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think a tendon is a tendon. I doubt they will give you an unhealthy one. If you’re over 40 you should be fine (there is some evidence that young athletes may not have as good long term results, though that is disputed). The best predictor of success is the skill of the surgeon. And good PT afterward.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    suydam said:

I think a tendon is a tendon. I doubt they will give you an unhealthy one. If you’re over 40 you should be fine (there is some evidence that young athletes may not have as good long term results, though that is disputed). The best predictor of success is the skill of the surgeon. And good PT afterward.

They are most definitely not all the same. Think about it this way: if you really could choose, would you pick one from a 25-yr-old all-star running back or one from an 80-yr-old invalid?

And studies do indicate that WHERE it comes from changes the chances of reinjury. Using bone-to-bone grafts have a higher success rate than bone-to-muscle. There are, in fact, differences in tissue quality.

Do I think pulling from one part of your knee to fix another part is a good idea? No. But, at this moment, it sounds like the better option to me. I could risk the cadaver and figure "well, if it fails, then I'll go the other route next time." But do I really want to have to go through this again?

@xwesx - 32 amp EV charger.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    @qbrozen
    I know very little about the topic, but I can certainly understand your reasoning and could certainly see myself going the route you are leaning toward.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Just curious — do they really not differentiate between younger and much older tendons? I know for my kidney transplant they sure do. Older ones only go to older patients.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    I know that with cadaver saphenous vein grafts used for lower extremity bypass grafts, there is an attached history with age of donor. I don’t know if it is the same with tendons, but what I have seen is that there are several grafts sent and the surgeon picks the size (thickness/ width) of graft that he or she wants
    i could ask him more about patient selection, if any. Things like organs are a different story.

@xwesx - 32 amp EV charger.

That's great! I was wondering because I have a 50A circuit in my garage, and was hoping that this can be used for EV "fast" charging at some point in the future rather than installing another circuit.
    Ugh. Good luck, Q. Any way you slice it, surgery is certainly not fun!

I had this crazy idea last Friday that I would play basketball with a group of >40 guys (many in their 60s), even though I had not played an organized game in probably fifteen years or more. Even though my mind remembered playing, my body was not impressed with my new attempt.

I lasted about twenty minutes, and was starting to get the hang of it a bit, when something popped in the back of my knee. Not sure what happened, but I do know that those twenty minutes of torture probably weren't worth the last week of pain! :D

I will give pickleball a go tonight and see how the knee behaves, but I'm not sure whether I will brave the basketball court again.
    mjfloyd1 said:
    thanks very much for digging that up. Now I'm definitely confused. haha. Another article I found gave some interesting stats.

"Several studies have shown the preference for use of patellar tendon autograft among team physicians. In a study published in Arthroscopy, Brandon J. Erickson, MD, Cole and their colleagues found 136 (99.3%) National Football League (NFL) and National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I football team orthopedic surgeons chose autografts, of which 86.1% chose BPTB autografts to treat ACL tears in their starting running back.

Nathan A. Mall, MD, Cole and their colleagues also found 26 (87%) National Basketball Association (NBA) team physicians chose autograft for primary ACL reconstruction, with 81% using BPTB autografts, 12% quadruple hamstring autografts, 4% double hamstring autograft with or without allograft augmentation and 4% quadriceps tendon autograft with bone block."

https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/sports-medicine/news/print/orthopedics-today/{8a359713-297c-4621-b98c-6667bfef18c1}/graft-choices-for-acl-reconstruction-vary-among-surgeons-athletes

There is certainly no right or wrong answer. The "choice for athletes" makes me think that would be the way to go, but the article you linked gives me concern regarding OA. Sigh.