Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited December 2019
    We've suffered with one cable company doing business here. No competition from ATT's setups which are a few miles away.

I received a notice from my wonderful, caring cable TV supplier, Spectrum, this week that the introductory rate I was on has ended and my rate for the lowest level TV group is going up $7.

Odd because they were the ones after they took over from Time Warner who rudely said that they don't do introductory rates in any way like the previous company did.

They are just lying to get a price increase through fooling the customer. They got a large tax reduction a year ago on Federal taxes but the rates went up then.

A new company has been about 3 months in the public arena here sending out mailings to all addresses that they are installing fiber cable here. We have our backyard marked for the tubes to go through. They indicate by May they hope to have this part of the new build up and running. I'm so excited it's coming soon to our area.

I for one will be switching away from Spectrum (part of Comcast, I believe) to get internet along with cable.
    Story has it they will offer 200 mByte speeds for starter. I noticed in Columbus where WOW competes with Time Warner and ATT, the speed installed by the apartment owner where my son lived is now putting 600 mB into each apartment included in the rent.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited December 2019
    driver100 said:

One thing I wonder about with dishwashers. Our Bosch's which were good cost about $450 or $500....and they were excellent. But, how much better could the $800 or $900 model be? I can't imagine dishes would come out any better than the $500 model.
    But, I don't trust the $299 models very much. Seem to be really minimal, everything seems to be a bit weak and flimsy. I don't think a dishwasher is a place to try and save $100 or $200 buying the least expensive model.

I was wondering the same thing, when I was buying mine. From what I saw, the basic "engine" is either the same, or very similar. The extra money goes mostly into the sound insulation, rack design (e.g. third rack, folding tines) and control types (touch capacitors vs. buttons). I bought mine for about $850, it was 800-series, it has a very clever adjustable third rack, top and middle rack with folding tines, six-position middle rack (unlike domestic and Korean, you can set it up on a slope, either side. And it's almost silent, you have to get close to hear it working, as long as all dishes are set up in a way that nothing is shifting or getting hit.

Going from 300 series to 800 series I saw progression of those features. The "delta" is probably a bit overpriced, which means you get best deal in terms of pure performance at 300 model, but I just was willing to pay for those clever extras.

BTW, I love it so far, hope it won't break any time soon. I was considering buying GE or Whirlpool from Costco, due to their post-sale service, but Consumer Reports convinced me that nothing measured up to Bosh (even those $500 minus priced units) in terms of performance. I went with the higher price for the mentioned features.

Similar principles apply to other brands. GE for example has special dedicated water bottle jets, great feature for new parents. Whirlpool and Maytag has decent reliability scores and performance, but innovation level inside was non-existent (basic rack, no folding tines, nothing). I also wanted either black or black stainless, which limited the choices.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Anyone looking to do the dance with XM... they offered $4.99/ month for a year on the Select Package. That’s about as cheap as I’ve ever seen.

Still cancelled as my wife said she never uses it (along with her factory NAV and remote start APP)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

We've suffered with one cable company doing business here. No competition from ATT's setups which are a few miles away.

I received a notice from my wonderful, caring cable TV supplier, Spectrum, this week that the introductory rate I was on has ended and my rate for the lowest level TV group is going up $7.

Odd because they were the ones after they took over from Time Warner who rudely said that they don't do introductory rates in any way like the previous company did.

They are just lying to get a price increase through fooling the customer. They got a large tax reduction a year ago on Federal taxes but the rates went up then.

A new company has been about 3 months in the public arena here sending out mailings to all addresses that they are installing fiber cable here. We have our backyard marked for the tubes to go through. They indicate by May they hope to have this part of the new build up and running. I'm so excited it's coming soon to our area.

I for one will be switching away from Spectrum (part of Comcast, I believe) to get internet along with cable.
    Story has it they will offer 200 mByte speeds for starter. I noticed in Columbus where WOW competes with Time Warner and ATT, the speed installed by the apartment owner where my son lived is now putting 600 mB into each apartment included in the rent.

Spectrum is part of Charter Communications, not Comcast. Second most-hated company by its customers. My experience after Brighthouse purchase was similar. We are part of HOA deal, but my bill went up by something like 40 buck after it was all said and done (I had part paid in my HOA fees, rest I buy up).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

Turning into Betty Crocker with my time off. Am working on my 3rd batch of Christmas English Toffee. I only make it once/year. But, it always turns out well, and the extended family seems to really like it.

Ha ha ... I've been cooking a lot too. Made eggplant parm tonight, that's always a process.

Great. Now, you’ve motivated me to make some eggplant parm, too. I haven’t made that in a long while and always love it when I do. Good thing the Holidays are upon us. If not, I’d eat everything I’m making and have to join Weight Watchers.

Good mojo sent your way from me on the job hunt. I believe you’ll be fine.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Dealerships must be going through their databases for year end sales. Got another call from the local Kia dealer (different sales guy...this makes the 3rd one to contact me since the Stinger test drive a year ago) wanting me to come in for a test drive. Sounded like a Green Pea on the phone.

May take some time to get behind the wheel of the Tesla 3. I know no one here who has one has had any complaints.

May stop into my son’s VW dealer and test a GLI while I’m at it.
    edited December 2019

tjc78 said:

Turning into Betty Crocker with my time off. Am working on my 3rd batch of Christmas English Toffee. I only make it once/year. But, it always turns out well, and the extended family seems to really like it.

Ha ha ... I've been cooking a lot too. Made eggplant parm tonight, that's always a process.

Great. Now, you’ve motivated me to make some eggplant parm, too. I haven’t made that in a long while and always love it when I do. Good thing the Holidays are upon us. If not, I’d eat everything I’m making and have to join Weight Watchers.

Thanks !!

On the Eggplant. I usually bread and fry it, but this time I did my normal breading but baked it on a cookie sheet (400, 8 mins a side) with just a super light coating of oil. It came out fantastic, easier, quicker and a touch healthier.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited December 2019
    Be happy if your cable bill only goes up $7 after your promotion expires. I have Cox and when the promotion ends they raise your monthly almost 2-fold!

In my old house I put in a Bosch DW, which we liked. Now I have a GE Profile DW, inherited with the present house. It’s capacity is meh. Anyone know who makes GE appliances now, a Chinese company?
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Haier makes their appliances now.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    tjc78 said:

Anyone looking to do the dance with XM... they offered $4.99/ month for a year on the Select Package. That’s about as cheap as I’ve ever seen.

Still cancelled as my wife said she never uses it (along with her factory NAV and remote start APP)

The wife wants to keep the XM on the BMW so looks like I'm going to be calling them in the next day or two. I did get a letter about the $4.99 offer. They also sent me a letter offering three months free. Let's see if I can combine the two.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

carnaught said:

Be happy if your cable bill only goes up $7 after your promotion expires. I have Cox and when the promotion ends they raise your monthly almost 2-fold!

In my old house I put in a Bosch DW, which we liked. Now I have a GE Profile DW, inherited with the present house. It’s capacity is meh. Anyone know who makes GE appliances now, a Chinese company?

We cut the cable and us an antenna (we get a couple of dozen decent over the air stations) and use a few streaming services.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2019
    A week to go... I guess we can put up the tree in here :)

What auto-related present do you hope Santa leaves under the tree??

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

May take some time to get behind the wheel of the Tesla 3. I know no one here who has one has had any complaints.

Try to drive a blue one. They are the fastest.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    When I was a student, the MB dealer in town was also a Toyota and Daewoo dealership. That's a MB/appliance dealer.
    ab348 said:

That would be a combo M-B/Nissan dealership. Are there such things?

edited December 2019
    tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Thanks !!

On the Eggplant. I usually bread and fry it, but this time I did my normal breading but baked it on a cookie sheet (400, 8 mins a side) with just a super light coating of oil. It came out fantastic, easier, quicker and a touch healthier.
    I quit frying mine, too. I usually slice the eggplant, salt it and let it sit for a couple of hours to draw out the moisture. Egg and Italian Panko crumbs are next. I have a Breville toaster, air fryer, dehydrater, etc multi-thingy. I throw them in there (spray lightly with Olive Oil) to air fry about 5-6 mins. Pull it out. Add sauces, grated parm and fresh Mozzarella on top. Put it back in until the cheese is melted and browned on top. Sounds harder than it is.

We’re on the same track! Going out tonight to score some eggplant from here.... www.junglejims.com
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I'm currently looking at the week before Thanksgiving for storing it.
    tjc78 said:

I did a renewal in August that basically coincides with the Acura going back. With the truck's 3 month trial expiring in November I now just stream XM on the app through the BT in the Tacoma.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Thanks !!

I don't think I've ever shared this but I love to cook (and bake) and am usually the one to handle that duty. We've also shifted from deep frying to using the air fryer or "oven frying". As you note it's easier, less messy, and also healthier.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Thanks !!

I quit frying mine, too. I usually slice the eggplant, salt it and let it sit for a couple of hours to draw out the moisture. Egg and Italian Panko crumbs are next. I have a Breville toaster, air fryer, dehydrater, etc multi-thingy. I throw them in there (spray lightly with Olive Oil) to air fry about 5-6 mins. Pull it out. Add sauces, grated parm and fresh Mozzarella on top. Put it back in until the cheese is melted and browned on top. Sounds harder than it is.

We’re on the same track! Going out tonight to score some eggplant from here.... www.junglejims.com
    I've been to the Jungle Jims on the east side of town. Now, that's a shopping experience. I saw a $1700 bottle of hot sauce there.

The full bar in the center of the store was surprising, too.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

I did a renewal in August that basically coincides with the Acura going back. With the truck's 3 month trial expiring in November I now just stream XM on the app through the BT in the Tacoma.
    Speaking of your Acura, the TLX is very popular among CCBA. You've got one, @stickguy has one, @graphicguy has one, @benjaminh has one too. I saw a white A-Spec SH AWD model today that caught my eye.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Thanks !!

I'm a veal parm guy myself but you made the eggplant thingy sound pretty good. I could come over the next time you make it but I don't just barge in, I'll need an invite. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

tjc78 said:

Speaking of your Acura, the TLX is very popular among CCBA. You've got one, @stickguy has one, @graphicguy has one, @benjaminh has one too. I saw a white A-Spec SH AWD model today that caught my eye.
    If that doesn't sound like you're going to add yourself to your list, I don't know what does. :o

jmonroe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    Some good lease deals on the TLX now too it seems.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    PF_Flyer said:

A week to go... I guess we can put up the tree in here :)

What auto-related present do you hope Santa leaves under the tree??

The only one currently remaining on my list is a nice cover for the Charger.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Michaell said:

I've been to the Jungle Jims on the east side of town. Now, that's a shopping experience. I saw a $1700 bottle of hot sauce there.

The full bar in the center of the store was surprising, too.

Does that store have a portajohn restroom entrance like the original store in Fairfield?
    I used to live fairly close to the Eastgate store's location, but long before that shopping strip developed. Nice area, at least when I had the condo there.

edited December 2019
    I'm enjoying finding out how many here are cooking artists. I was never good at much of it.

In grad school, we baked brownies that turned out inedible and had to soak for days to remove from the pan. After my wife and I got our first microwave, I nuked a bagel to warm it up and it was so hard I couldn't even cut it with a knife. She does most of the cooking other than my nuking chicken potpies from Maria Callender and frying or scrambling eggs.

A tip of the hat to those with the skill.

qbrozen said:

The wife is getting WeatherTech mats for her car...shhh... keep it on the down low

I'm enjoying finding out how many here are cooking artists. I was never good at much of it.

In grad school, we baked brownies that turned out inedible and had to soak for days to remove from the pan. After my wife and I got our first microwave, I nuked a bagel to warm it up and it was so hard I couldn't even cut it with a knife. She does most of the cooking other than my nuking chicken potpies from Maria Callender and frying or scrambling eggs.

My wife is a dietitian... thank goodness I like to cook ;)

Most of my Christmas baking done. I make my grandma's butter cookies (definitely health food) some with jelly filling!

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    tjc78 said:

@driver100
    The local appliance store needs a salesman. Should I send them your resume?

After losing my 3rd job in 4 years I considered selling appliances. I even sent in my resume to one large independent retailer.....fortunately, they didn't choose me because they went out of business about a year later and it forced me to start my own business.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited December 2019

Are there stores that sell MBs and appliances?

Great idea....package deals!
    Lately the big thing seems to be offering you 4 appliances for a pretty good discounted price. I don't get it because seldom does the stove, fridge, microwave and dishwasher all go at once....but, whatever!
    I would offer a DW, microwave, stove, fridge and a new car to go in the garage. all for one low price. When you replace your appliances it is a good time to also replace your car.

Since we've taken a culinary turn I decided to replenish coffee supplies since I'm either off or working remotely starting tomorrow through January 7th. Highly recommend this place if anyone finds themselves in downtown Pittsburgh. @28firefighter can vouch for me.
    dino001 said:

Spectrum is part of Charter Communications, not Comcast. Second most-hated company by its customers. My experience after Brighthouse purchase was similar. We are part of HOA deal, but my bill went up by something like 40 buck after it was all said and done (I had part paid in my HOA fees, rest I buy up).
    I am the same. Brighthouse was one of those companies that were always pleasant to deal with and really tried, Spectrum is at the low end for customer satisfaction. I don't know why cable companies continue, they keep losing customers all the time....streaming is the future. Just watch regular TV for news and Hot Bench.

tjc78 said:

tjc78 said:

Thanks !!

Dishwashers, washing machines, .....and now trading recipes, ....... :'(

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    I got weather tech mats last year from my sister. unfortunately in between thanksgiving when she got the idea and ordered them, and Christmas, I sold the car!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited December 2019
    PF_Flyer said:

qbrozen said:

The wife is getting WeatherTech mats for her car...shhh... keep it on the down low
    You should see WeatherTechs headquarters, every tree there is just loaded with lights. They are single handedly keeping ComEd profitable. If I go by it again I'll snap a picture.

pensfan83 said:

Since we've taken a culinary turn I decided to replenish coffee supplies since I'm either off or working remotely starting tomorrow through January 7th. Highly recommend this place if anyone finds themselves in downtown Pittsburgh. @28firefighter can vouch for me.

I'm not going there when it is snowing like that!

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

@driver100

After losing my 3rd job in 4 years I considered selling appliances. I even sent in my resume to one large independent retailer.....fortunately, they didn't choose me because they went out of business about a year later and it forced me to start my own business.
    That was the problem, they went out of business because they didn't have you selling for them.

driver100 said:

tjc78 said:

@driver100

That was the problem, they went out of business because they didn't have you selling for them.
    Actually, after I was fired from numerous jobs they either went under or their business fell off considerably. I should have told them what would happen when they were firing me. I think I have been "let go" about 6 or 7 times in my illustrious career. A few jobs I actually did leave on my own.....I think I wanted to leave before they made me leave.

Today is the day they phone me to give me my 4 hour window for tomorrow of when they will deliver the replacement dishwasher and take back the dented one.
    One week to wait for the new one, now 2 weeks to get a replacement for the dented one.......3 weeks to get a dishwasher in an age where Amazon delivers within 24 hours, sometimes even the same day. Should have looked at Home Depot, then bought on Amazon, and retailers wonder why they are losing customers.

The Amazon syndrome: often the prices are higher there than through other sources, or the local stores. Because Amazon _used_ to always be cheaper despite the cost of a Prime account for a year, I had been assuming they were cheaper till about 3 years ago when I started doing more checking.

Trust, but verify.

As for appliances, Home Depot tends to have different part numbers than the standard but by comparing features I could figure out which of the regular part numbers this model was. But Depot often added a feature here or there to the typical standard model. Nice add ons.

As for differences in prices between more pedantic models and the full-featured models but for a big step up in price, I think the core machine is the same. I would suspect a very basic low price model might have different parts in it to get the low price, but I believe our medium price Whirlpool dishwasher has the same motor, pump, etc., that the highest priced model on the floor had. I'd look at the bottom plate and look at the tubing that carries the water under pressure to the back then the top of the machine to the upper rack. Same.

Decades ago the Maytag refrigerator had a more efficient electric motor for the blower and or the compressor if it was the Maytag Gold model. Sort of like the Kitchenaid models were. But today, after years of efficiency work, I suspect all the dishwashers share the same parts.

I could spend time on repairclinic.com and try to figure out comparisons, but it ain't worth the time.

1066 posts to go to get to @driver100 and his 25000 bar he has set.

The Amazon syndrome: often the prices are higher there than through other sources,

You are 100% correct. It really depends on the item. I've been surprised on a few items lately that didn't make sense to order w/ Amazon

tjc78 said:

The Amazon syndrome: often the prices are higher there than through other sources,

You are 100% correct. It really depends on the item. I've been surprised on a few items lately that didn't make sense to order w/ Amazon

It's like Sam's Club/Costco... you still need to shop around on some stuff
    First shovel-able snow today. Let the winter workouts begin!

As for differences in prices between more pedantic models and the full-featured models but for a big step up in price, I think the core machine is the same. I would suspect a very basic low price model might have different parts in it to get the low price, but I believe our medium price Whirlpool dishwasher has the same motor, pump, etc., that the highest priced model on the floor had. I'd look at the bottom plate and look at the tubing that carries the water under pressure to the back then the top of the machine to the upper rack. Same.

Decades ago the Maytag refrigerator had a more efficient electric motor for the blower and or the compressor if it was the Maytag Gold model. Sort of like the Kitchenaid models were. But today, after years of efficiency work, I suspect all the dishwashers share the same parts.

I could spend time on repairclinic.com and try to figure out comparisons, but it ain't worth the time.

1066 posts to go to get to @driver100 and his 25000 bar he has set.

That's not a bar, it's a stumbling block and he's had more than a few falls getting there. :'(

jmonroe

edited December 2019
    We've had wonderful winter weather. Mild. Nice 3-4 inch snow on Sunday night left a beautiful Christmas card type scene. We went to a drive through park with Christmas lights Monday evening. Beautiful. We go a few times each year, but with snow on the ground it's spectacular for a free (donation request in a drop box) visit.

Can't get these types of scenes in a tropical island...

Now the next few days with temps in 10's are a little chilly.

116 days until the first large car show of the season in April!

PF_Flyer said:

My wife is a dietitian... thank goodness I like to cook ;)

Most of my Christmas baking done. I make my grandma's butter cookies (definitely health food) some with jelly filling!

Yowza!
    Decided on pizza to use up some home made sauce and dough I had hanging out in the fridge....

Decided on pizza to use up some home made sauce and dough I had hanging out in the fridge....

I like pizza too. :p

jmonroe

PF_Flyer said:

Those look delicious. I'll bet your friends who get those really appreciate the work in them.

Did I mention my mailing address? LOL

I'm actually dieting, so I can look but not touch. My long time friend has lost about 37 pounds over 9 months. That motivated me to work down on my weight.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

What was in those brownies?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible