Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    Probably best to have him use what he is most comfortable with
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited December 2019
    xwesx said:

@xwesx - 32 amp EV charger.

That's great! I was wondering because I have a 50A circuit in my garage, and was hoping that this can be used for EV "fast" charging at some point in the future rather than installing another circuit.
    No problem. A 32A charger needs a 40A circuit, which is how mine is setup. This leaves you an extra 10A free for that giant mosquito zapper that you have...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    edited December 2019
    Athletes might get the type that offers the best chance for quick recovery and return to performance for a few years, but those surgeons/patients may not care so much about long-term success. I imagine it is a gamble either way. As someone with a very unstable and painful knee due to no cartilage, I would take the one that seems to preserve that the best.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    edited December 2019
    My panel is officially full now since installing AC and now the EV charger, though I cannot imagine what else I'd need to add that would require a new breaker.

I'm also super impressed with the electrical inspector - he was out within 24 hours of the electricians requesting the inspection. Told me their goal is to have inspections completed within 48 hours of the request. Just like back home in Philly. Not.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    I had a new panel installed when I bought my house several years ago. Inspector took weeks to show up.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited December 2019
    I'm my own everything for electrical. Well, I used to be. The last few times we did electrical work, my son did it all. That kid is a whiz with that stuff. When he was 14, he installed a subpanel near our main breaker in order to allow for more breakers, and he did a beautiful job.

I need to make use of him while I still can - he's growing up way too fast (nearly 16 now)!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

My panel is officially full now since installing AC and now the EV charger, though I cannot imagine what else I'd need to add that would require a new breaker.

I'm also super impressed with the electrical inspector - he was out within 24 hours of the electricians requesting the inspection. Told me their goal is to have inspections completed within 48 hours of the request. Just like back home in Philly. Not.

They sell twin breakers ... my Mom’s house had several. Sometimes you don’t have a choice and adding a sub panel to add a 15 amp circuit doesn’t make sense.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    tjc78 said:

They sell twin breakers ... my Mom’s house had several. Sometimes you don’t have a choice and adding a sub panel to add a 15 amp circuit doesn’t make sense.
    I often use those.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I'm going for the cadaver, if it's me.. I might get upgraded!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

Those are a good option for breaker control independence, you just need to remember that the pair of them are on the same phase.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    I know when my son had the holes in his heart repaired many years ago, they used a part of a pig to get the part needed to plug the larger hole. Whatever these folks did, it certainly worked as he's now 32 years old and almost 5'10" tall! They saved his life basically and we're forever grateful!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Dropped a vehicle off at the local Jeep store Tuesday and came upon the new Compass. It was very nice. They had a couple of units that crossed my path. One was a beautiful pearl red color with a black interior. It was a demo that had an MSRP of $26,509 with 3430 miles on it for a price of $21,058 after a $4K discount. They're running a special about "Employee Pricing" also so that's where they started their figures at. They also had a gray unit, same options but brand new but this one had a gray/black interior that was really beautiful. Of course, it was a bit more expensive. Both had a 2.4 liter engine with mpg's of 22 city, 31 highway for a combined 25. Nothing to write home about but the Compass is finally a very nice looking ute.
    Went inside as had some time while waiting for the chase vehicle to pick me up. They also had a red Renegade inside in a similar red color, though not as nice looking as the Compass to be honest. A bit smaller though. Same engine but worse figures to add to the mix for some reason. One would think a smaller vehicle which weighed less would get better figures. Liked the size though!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    xwesx said:

tjc78 said:

Those are a good option for breaker control independence, you just need to remember that the pair of them are on the same phase.

I worked with a non tecnical guy years ago that heard a few of us technical wizzards talking about house wiring one day. He didn't stay around to hear "the rest" of the story so he put in one of those space saving double breakers. A few days later he tells us he smoked a 220 volt space heater he got for his basement gameroom and wanted to know what he should do now. Almost in unison we said, "get another heater".

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Working tomorrow, my N/S day, so I;ll have 4 days on the next check. Going to Orlando on Saturday morning and returning the following Sunday. Think I need to have some fun and a change of scenery will be very very nice! Just want some time to veg a bit and reflect about the year ending and the new one beginning as it's been a long one. And am still struggling with me finally wanting to swap out the Golf for something new. Part of me says wait till the end of 2020 and then make a deal, something I think is a great idea. But the other half of me insists that I make a smart decision and buying in the near future might be stupid and to wait until something goes wrong with it. So, for the time being, putting this whole thing on the shelf and will wait till the harvest moon time to do anything.

Had another meeting this morning before we all hit the road. Moving 1500 vehicles during the month of January so more hours re going to be offered to us drivers and they hope we'll take them up on this offer. Personally, I plan to even if it means another day or two for that month. I could sure use the extra cash especially if I decide to buy something new.
    Right now, both the Golf and the Soltis are not even in the showroom so think I have some time to make a final decision here.

Right now, both the Golf and the Soltis are not even in the showroom so think I have some time to make a final decision here.

Of course you do! If there's one thing that is not going away any time soon, it's the supply of new cars. And, the best part about new cars is that they turn into lightly used cars. If you have a hankering for a particular make/model/year, there's a *really* good chance you won't miss it. ;)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

The Genesis dealer near me rents space in the mall. I was checking out this gorgeous, Red, G70 Sport while waiting for my son’s middle school band to perform. Really sharp looking. The interior is gorgeous and finished amazingly well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Quite pretty. I like the color a lot; it reminds me of the "paprika red" on our previous Forester.
    Did a couple of nice runs today. We have 2 different areas where we take/pick up vehicles from. One is Kelly up in West Palm Beach and the other is Kean down in the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood area. Both are named for the streets they are on. Our first trip this morning was from Kelly down to Kean where we picked up vehicles to deliver. Three of us had vehicles to a local Chevrolet dealer in Pompano Beach. There, our chase vehicle picked us up and as we were heading back up north to Kelly, we had to stop by or office since we were going to pass that general area anyhow. As we were about to pull into Kelly, we got our next assignment which was to go to Toyota of Vero Beach, a good 70 mile trip north. After we all cheered about this assignment, we went to Kelly to get our vehicles. I got a Ford EcoSport, which the lead driver remembering I liked them. Was happy as I wanted some longer seat time with one just to see how I felt about it. Had 3/4 tank of gas, so I was good. We all went to the nearby service plaza on the turnpike to have lunch.
    Proceeded up to Vero after we finished eating. Started to rain as a cool front was passing through. Still kept my a/c on as it wasn't cool enough to open the sunroof by then. Eco Sport drove nice enough, had enough power which is something I was concerned about. Plugged in my iPhone as the vehicle had Apple Car Play, and it paired well with my iTunes, so I was a happy camper. Trip up was uneventful though the rain started to come down a bit harder by then. Took it slow and easy and all was fine until we got there. They are in the midst of construction so they directed us to a lot up the street to ark the vehicles. Was almost 4:20 by this time, so we proceeded back to base. Took us awhile to get back there and we arrived about 5:55. It was almost dark by then and we ran into a lot of rush hour traffic. Washed up and clocked out right at 6:00 pm, quittin' time! Turned out to be a good day and they borrowed a couple of drivers so we'd have 5 plus the lead.
    No N/S day tomorrow as some of us were asked to come in for the day. Since I'll be gone all next week, said yes when asked if I'm available. The extra $ will come in handy at my kid's house if we get to do a lot.

Pretty cool. With the new update, the iPhone lets you choose the size of the picture you want to post.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Pretty cool. With the new update, the iPhone lets you choose the size of the picture you want to post.

Is this through the Edmunds app?
    nyccarguy said:

The Genesis dealer near me rents space in the mall. I was checking out this gorgeous, Red, G70 Sport while waiting for my son’s middle school band to perform. Really sharp looking. The interior is gorgeous and finished amazingly well.

I'm glad you IDed it for me, I couldn't tell, thought it might be an Infiniti.

corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

Is this through the Edmunds app?
    The mobile site, not the app

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Infiniti has a similar color to the Genesis. Not an unattractive car more than marginally resembling an Acura, but the front end is a little bold for me.

Dropped a vehicle off at the local Jeep store Tuesday and came upon the new Compass. It was very nice. They had a couple of units that crossed my path. One was a beautiful pearl red color with a black interior. It was a demo that had an MSRP of $26,509 with 3430 miles on it for a price of $21,058 after a $4K discount. They're running a special about "Employee Pricing" also so that's where they started their figures at. They also had a gray unit, same options but brand new but this one had a gray/black interior that was really beautiful. Of course, it was a bit more expensive. Both had a 2.4 liter engine with mpg's of 22 city, 31 highway for a combined 25. Nothing to write home about but the Compass is finally a very nice looking ute.
    Went inside as had some time while waiting for the chase vehicle to pick me up. They also had a red Renegade inside in a similar red color, though not as nice looking as the Compass to be honest. A bit smaller though. Same engine but worse figures to add to the mix for some reason. One would think a smaller vehicle which weighed less would get better figures. Liked the size though!

I honestly love the look of the Compass. Resembles the XC40 for half the price.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    qbrozen said:

Until you sit in it. The headrest is tilted way too far forward for just about everybody.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Until you sit in it. The headrest is tilted way too far forward for just about everybody.
    Are you saying they are not adjustable? If so they'll have to fix that or lose a lot of sales.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    not that uncommon. I love Volvo seats, but there were a couple where I found the headrest tilted too far forward to the point where I would not buy one. I know it is safer to not suffer whiplash, but you got a stiff neck instead!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    jmonroe said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Are you saying they are not adjustable? If so they'll have to fix that or lose a lot of sales.

jmonroe
    They adjust, just not in a way to make them comfortable for me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    stickguy said:

Enterprise must own one heck of a lot of cars in total!

Enterprise is one of the largest vendors my company does business with. They have told us for years that they are the largest single purchaser of vehicles in the world.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    xwesx said:

Of course you do! If there's one thing that is not going away any time soon, it's the supply of new cars. And, the best part about new cars is that they turn into lightly used cars. If you have a hankering for a particular make/model/year, there's a *really* good chance you won't miss it. ;)
    There's a place near me that sells only used cars. They usually sell about 800 a month. (I just checked and they only have 380 so far this month. I guess people have other things to do. :smile: ) They say, "Everybody Drives a Used Vehicle".

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

It would be an interesting case study to analyze how Hertz, Avis and Budget, the former big three in the car rental business, lost that crown to Enterprise, and why that was able to happen.

ab348 said:

It would be an interesting case study to analyze how Hertz, Avis and Budget, the former big three in the car rental business, lost that crown to Enterprise, and why that was able to happen.

One way: Enterprise bought National/Alamo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I think price does much of it, combined with a location on every corner, and that no doubt lucrative bodyshop business.
    Honda Fit story: Unseasonably cold this morning. 18F. Wife’s birthday, and plan was to pick up flowers while she was at the gym. Fit in driveway, windows frosted over. 15F overnight. Yesterday at the florist, they told my car should be warm in the morning, before picking up flowers.

45F in the garage. It’s only a mile each way. Drove the BMW with summer tires. :D

You know, instead of my “winter beater”.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You have two keys and a working parking brake on the Fit, right? Should be easy to preheat if you want. Did that on my E90 a few times using the mechanical key that was built into the fob.
    Yes, but didn’t feel like idling it for 10 minutes for a six minute round trip. :(

Also, don’t think you can lock this one with the key in the ignition. At least not with the remote. Maybe with the key. Not an issue where I live.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    nyccarguy said:

My dealer has only a couple of V6 G70s, AWD of course.
    Meh.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Busy day today and naturally, rained the whole day. Another busy day tomorrow and then, I'm gone. Was supposed to start back on the 31st, but my lead asks me earlier when I'll be coming back. Told him on Sunday and will report on Tuesday at 7:30 am. Proceeds to tell me that I'd need to come back on the 30th instead. Tell him, "sure". And I'll be there.
    Come back on Sunday early am so I can do the laundry and then get some food to eat.

Lot of value there in that S90!

qbrozen said:
    If you lease a 2019, there are $12,475 of incentives.. Likely a total discount of $18000 or so..

I think I'd do that, then buy it out, before taking a $21K discount on a unit that is two years older.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Big money.

At the auto mall while RDX gets serviced. Scoped out a new X3 in the showroom. Man that is nice. Afraid to drive one. I might not be able to go back down the spectrum.

Now I just need a job that pays better so I can afford it! Nice chat with the sales guy who said the December holiday incentives are huge on some of the models. And he really was a fan of courtesy loaners!

Little late in the season though to even think of pulling off a rash move. But I do need to get the wife out for a test drive. Who knows, she might not even like it!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    My brother's Fusion lease is up in early April and after the holidays he plans to start looking around to narrow down his choice. So far these are on the list:

-Hyundai Elantra
    - Volkswagen Jetta
    - Mazda3
    - Subaru Impreza wagon

He's currently in grad school and a grad assistant for the lacrosse team so he put the Subaru on there since he's often responsible for carting around equipment. Any others to throw on there? For those here who have had Elantras the feedback seems to be they are reliable and solid. No decision on whether it will be a lease or buy this time around.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    I read a review on the Mazda CX-30 this morning and it seems like it might be an interesting alternative. Apparently based on the 3 and not the 2 like the CX-3, with more space inside. And unlike the current 3 hatch, this actually looks decent.

We had an 08 Elantra and a 17. Both were flawless, solid little cars. They are about as inspiring as an insurance seminar but good transportation. They also have a lot of content for the money.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    Yeah it's hard to beat the value Hyundai offers for the $$$. I'm not familiar with the CX-30, is it replacing the CX-3?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:
    If you lease a 2019, there are $12,475 of incentives.. Likely a total discount of $18000 or so..

I think I'd do that, then buy it out, before taking a $21K discount on a unit that is two years older.
    I could go search, but I'll ask you here instead. ;)
    sooo... is that $12,475 incentives in NJ on a T6? Which trim? And what is the MF and residual for 12k (whatever number of months makes the most sense)? I don't think an S90 loaner would be common, but if you could find one and get 18.5% off plus incentives, that would get you down to about $35k. Assuming $58k MSRP and ... ? 48% RV? That's just $7k depreciation cost.