Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    There was time where the S90 was a screaming lease. I think it was this time last year or a little earlier

I like the extra room it has, but I think the S60 is the better driver being a little lighter.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:
    If you lease a 2019, there are $12,475 of incentives.. Likely a total discount of $18000 or so..

I think I'd do that, then buy it out, before taking a $21K discount on a unit that is two years older.
    Yup - I got about $20k off my 2019 V90 on lease.

I do think about buying it out but then I figure there's no rush to do so. I'd mostly do it to lower the interest rate - the MF on the lease equates to about 1.5-2% higher than a good car loan rate.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited December 2019
    tjc78 said:

There was time where the S90 was a screaming lease. I think it was this time last year or a little earlier

I like the extra room it has, but I think the S60 is the better driver being a little lighter.

Without having driven the current S60, I would tend to agree that it's the better driver. As I've said, the V90 is a beautifully smooth cruiser, but it's no sport wagon.

I was next to a white S60 on the highway yesterday and admired the styling. The proportions are really nice.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    pensfan83 said:

Yeah it's hard to beat the value Hyundai offers for the $$$. I'm not familiar with the CX-30, is it replacing the CX-3?

This is a bit of a fanboy review, but that aside, it has the info you seek:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30215362/2020-mazda-cx-30-drive/

The one negative I see is the usual Mazda barely-adequate engine.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

breld said:

tjc78 said:

Without having driven the current S60, I would tend to agree that it's the better driver. As I've said, the V90 is a beautifully smooth cruiser, but it's no sport wagon.

I was next to a white S60 on the highway yesterday and admired the styling. The proportions are really nice.
    For me who prefers a softer ride the S60 is a nice balance. It’s just firm enough and handles well. It’s no 3 series but I’ve pushed it pretty hard and it can be fun. Fast enough for me in a straight line too.

Bonus points for me is that the wife loves it too.... so when she sees the payment come out every month I don’t get any crap!

Might be some even better deals coming up on some FCA vehicles. Looks like they have resurrected the old Chrysler Corporation sales bank!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/12/bank-on-it-glut-of-unsold-cars-pushes-fiat-chrysler-into-bargain-mode/

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    ab348 said:

pensfan83 said:

Yeah it's hard to beat the value Hyundai offers for the $$$. I'm not familiar with the CX-30, is it replacing the CX-3?

wow, that is silly. I can't believe they are squeezing one in between the cx3 and cx5. Was anyone really saying "gee, ya know, the CX3 is too tiny and the CX5 too huge."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited December 2019
    ab348 said:

Might be some even better deals coming up on some FCA vehicles. Looks like they have resurrected the old Chrysler Corporation sales bank!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/12/bank-on-it-glut-of-unsold-cars-pushes-fiat-chrysler-into-bargain-mode/

I'd take a Grand Cherokee, Compass, Wrangler Unlimited, Gladiator, or maybe some others ... but it is already near end of month, so how are they going to intro new incentives and roll out the marketing before EOY?

I'm holding my breath for a sub-$200/mo Compass deal with $0 DAS.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    pensfan83 said:

My brother's Fusion lease is up in early April and after the holidays he plans to start looking around to narrow down his choice. So far these are on the list:

-Hyundai Elantra
    - Volkswagen Jetta
    - Mazda3
    - Subaru Impreza wagon

He's currently in grad school and a grad assistant for the lacrosse team so he put the Subaru on there since he's often responsible for carting around equipment. Any others to throw on there? For those here who have had Elantras the feedback seems to be they are reliable and solid. No decision on whether it will be a lease or buy this time around.

The Jetta might be your winner here on a lease.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited December 2019
    ab348 said:

pensfan83 said:

Thanks for that..looks good and I much prefer it to the 3 hatch. The engine choice is a bit of a letdown however. I would probably exclude it for that reason alone but since it's not for me I think it's worth a look.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    The back of the S90 reminds me of a late 80's/early 90's Olds 88.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

My brother's Fusion lease is up in early April and after the holidays he plans to start looking around to narrow down his choice. So far these are on the list:

-Hyundai Elantra
    - Volkswagen Jetta
    - Mazda3
    - Subaru Impreza wagon

He's currently in grad school and a grad assistant for the lacrosse team so he put the Subaru on there since he's often responsible for carting around equipment. Any others to throw on there? For those here who have had Elantras the feedback seems to be they are reliable and solid. No decision on whether it will be a lease or buy this time around.

You're probably right on that though I've seen some decent Hyundai deals from time to time on LH.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:
    If you lease a 2019, there are $12,475 of incentives.. Likely a total discount of $18000 or so..

I think I'd do that, then buy it out, before taking a $21K discount on a unit that is two years older.
    I could go search, but I'll ask you here instead. ;)
    sooo... is that $12,475 incentives in NJ on a T6? Which trim? And what is the MF and residual for 12k (whatever number of months makes the most sense)? I don't think an S90 loaner would be common, but if you could find one and get 18.5% off plus incentives, that would get you down to about $35k. Assuming $58k MSRP and ... ? 48% RV? That's just $7k depreciation cost.
    Same as the one that was linked.. T6 Momentum

The actual lease deal isn't very good, even with the giant incentive. I was looking at it as a purchase alternative to the 2017 with the $21K off MSRP. Lease it, then turn around and buy it out. It is a terrible lease, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited December 2019
    pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

-Hyundai Elantra
    - Volkswagen Jetta
    - Mazda3
    - Subaru Impreza wagon

You're probably right on that though I've seen some decent Hyundai deals from time to time on LH.
    I’m sure it’s different now but my ‘17 Elantra was $210 month / $250 OOP at signing 36/10 with an MSRP right around $21k. NJ 6.625% rolled in.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278
    breld said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Yup - I got about $20k off my 2019 V90 on lease.

I do think about buying it out but then I figure there's no rush to do so. I'd mostly do it to lower the interest rate - the MF on the lease equates to about 1.5-2% higher than a good car loan rate.
    That’s one way to get out of a lease early 😁
    More here on the sales bank (sic) and the deals upcoming on Chrysler products:

https://www.autonews.com/sales/fca-revives-2008-discounts-clear-fat-inventories-report-says

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Drove a 2019 Mazda CX-5 today. Really really nice folks!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,540
    the CX5 is really nice. It got serious consideration from us last year. Definitely a contender.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    Will it fit in the garage?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I'd go for the CX-3 or the new one to be honest but, not wanting one right now. The Hyundai/Kia cousins and the new Golf are the ones I really want to see. Was hoping Honda would fix the HR-V with a stronger engine and knobs for their infotainment center but no one has any idea about the 2020 model. Shame, as I do like it, the EX-L model, but it really needs the 1.5 turbo from the Civic. So we'll see, come August or September, I'll start looking.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

To get a CX5 that’s both powerful enough and nice inside you are getting quite pricey. With that level of equipment they are quite nice, but around here at least, you’d see yourself coming and going all the time because most of the ones they sell are lower end trims.

sandy, if you think the HRV is not powerful enough, I doubt you will like a Venue.

ab, a lot of cars are like that. The range goes from low 20s base model, to 40K loaded up one, but other than wheel design, externally they look pretty much the same.

Leaving in the morning for Orlando and just got back from the gas station. Paid $2.17 and only used $5.00 this whole week, basically Monday till today. Besides going to and from work 4 times, did a bunch of errands and the needle finally moved on the way home earlier. This new job being so close, I could actually look at a lease next time if I really wanted to. I'm not even sure I'll hit 9K this year to be honest!

at 7 years and 3 months old, the RDX just hit 58,000 miles. and we had 30K in the first 2.5 years. Really slowed down after that. I think we are doing about 8K/year now with the wife commuting. easy to keep a car a long time when you put that low miles on it

had the daughter out to dinner with us (Italian tonight. good stuff!) after a couple glasses of wine, the wife was ready to go down to the BMW dealer to swap into a nice X3, after I told them how nice it was. The kid was more than happy to goad her along.

more like that we just go to the Xfinity store and swap our cell phone plan over instead. though that will save us $90/month so can put that toward a car payment!

I'm hoping the Venue or Soltis will be powerful enough for me. If not, the new Golf should do it and the small changes they're doing to it will make it seem new to me.
    The CX-5 I drove today had a Bose system in it and it was very nice sound. No XM hooked up so I used my iPhone and the music sounded nice & clear. The Kia Soltis is supposed to have a Bose system in the top model so would probably go with that one if I do buy one. Trust me, once I drive each on, I'll know very quickly if it's something I could live with for a long period. And that 5 year/60K warranty is a nice perk. I know V is lowering theirs for 2020 but should still be pretty good. As long as they put a decent sound system in the Golf, I'd be fine with it.

Michaell said:

Will it fit in the garage?

My neighbor across the street has one and it strikes me as quite a bit larger than a Golf, so that is a reasonable question.

stickguy said:

at 7 years and 3 months old, the RDX just hit 58,000 miles. and we had 30K in the first 2.5 years. Really slowed down after that. I think we are doing about 8K/year now with the wife commuting. easy to keep a car a long time when you put that low miles on it

4 years and 10 months on the Outback and it just crossed 34,000 miles last week. Less than 600 miles a month on it. No plans to trade it out, though the Subaru dealer keeps sending us offers. Latest one is $521/mo for a 2020 Outback Limited XT, based on the trade in value of ours. Of course, they don't know ours is paid off.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    ab348 said:

More here on the sales bank (sic) and the deals upcoming on Chrysler products:

https://www.autonews.com/sales/fca-revives-2008-discounts-clear-fat-inventories-report-says

Limiting dealer orders for December sounds pretty miserable if you were trying to special order a car. And it sounds like the “bank” vehicles may have unusual configurations.
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

4 years and 10 months on the Outback and it just crossed 34,000 miles last week. Less than 600 miles a month on it. No plans to trade it out, though the Subaru dealer keeps sending us offers. Latest one is $521/mo for a 2020 Outback Limited XT, based on the trade in value of ours. Of course, they don't know ours is paid off.
    I can’t believe you’ve had that Outback 5 years already. I think we are closing in on 2 years with my wife’s 2017 Pilot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    qbrozen said:
    Wow. Some kind of a record?

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I can’t believe you’ve had that Outback 5 years already. I think we are closing in on 2 years with my wife’s 2017 Pilot.
    The killer part is that was two houses ago!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I figure at this point one of us has to die before I could get my wife out of this current house. My plans are just falling apart!

Though last night I had her all revved up to go get that new car. But it could have been the wine talking. Of all things that might get her to sign on, she likes to talk to our daughter when they are both driving home from work, and at some point (I think an iPhone upgrade) the phone feature that let her redial a last call stopped working. Pretty much anything phone related did. She would be in heaven if she could just thumb a button on the steering wheel and tell the car to call the \kid!

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Revolving debt. It is the new American Dream!

In all seriousness, we'd love to move. There are 5 of us in a 3 bedroom house. My 10 year old son & 8 year old daughter share a bedroom. He likes to go to sleep by 9:00 pm. She's a night owl and will talk to him as long as he keeps talking back. The problem is that a 4 bedroom house in our neck of the woods would cost a lot more than I'm currently comfortable spending. I'm not at the point in my life where I want to start increasing my debt.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    edited December 2019
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/5826406/#Comment_5826406

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
    36/10
    MSRP $42,675

$1000 due at signing
    $334/mo.

In California

Killer lease deal.

That deal would tempt me to move on from my current vehicles.. hmmmm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

In all seriousness, we'd love to move. There are 5 of us in a 3 bedroom house. My 10 year old son & 8 year old daughter share a bedroom. He likes to go to sleep by 9:00 pm. She's a night owl and will talk to him as long as he keeps talking back. The problem is that a 4 bedroom house in our neck of the woods would cost a lot more than I'm currently comfortable spending. I'm not at the point in my life where I want to start increasing my debt.
    I think I understand. Having a son that was recently Bar Mitzvahed, I guess your long range plan involves your daughters Bat Mitzvah and then her wedding. The last thing you need is a humongous mortgage on a four bedroom house. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

jmonroe said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I think I understand. Having a son that was recently Bar Mitzvahed, I guess your long range plan involves your daughters Bat Mitzvah and then her wedding. The last thing you need is a humongous mortgage on a four bedroom house. :'(

jmonroe
    Sounds about right. Don't forget about the my 10 year old son who will get bar Mitzvahed before my daughter (he's the goalie)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:
    So, it’s selling for $29K? Not $38K as the ad states?

3 MYs old, but still a very nice car, if that’s the price.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

qbrozen said:
    So, it’s selling for $29K? Not $38K as the ad states?

3 MYs old, but still a very nice car, if that’s the price.
    It is 21k off original MSRP, which is $59k.

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Sounds about right. Don't forget about the my 10 year old son who will get bar Mitzvahed before my daughter (he's the goalie)
    Sorry, I forgot about him. Have you given any thought to trading for a double-wide to get over the next 15 year hump? :o

jmonroe

Bradd, have you considered expanding instead? Push a room out the back or off the end to get a master bedroom. Or of course, pop the top. At least you can get a good deal on the plumbing supplies! A lot cheaper (and in some ways easier) than moving, and in your area, probably will have a positive ROI adding a bedroom and bath to the place.

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

At least the mini and the Subaru are paid off!

And, we're doing this with just one salary. The business is doing well and we hope to put our daughter on an owners draw starting next month. Then, hopefully, the wife can start taking a draw soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited December 2019
    There is a new development going up in a neighboring community of ours. Mixed use development with retail, apartments, single family and townhouses. Good school district and conveniently located. We aren't pressed to move by any means and really like our neighborhood and community now however we kicked the tires on new construction and let's just say there was quite a bit of sticker shock once we configured the house. This community has an HOA and a club house and a pool so I'm quite certain that the cost of entry is to help defray some of those start up costs for the developer.
    edited December 2019
    The Tahoe is dripping oil on my driveway. Not a lot, but enough to notice on well maintained blacktop. Ugh.
    stickguy said:

Bradd, have you considered expanding instead? Push a room out the back or off the end to get a master bedroom. Or of course, pop the top. At least you can get a good deal on the plumbing supplies! A lot cheaper (and in some ways easier) than moving, and in your area, probably will have a positive ROI adding a bedroom and bath to the place.

I have. Construction costs are expensive. If I had “build up” money laying around, then I’d probably use that money to put down on a 4 bedroom house.

We’ve still got 2 major “need” projects to go. Our Air Conditioning system is I believe 20 years old and will need replacement sooner rather than later ($15K installed for new compressor/air handler, ductwork?) The driveway ($11K ish) is completely shot and needs to be ripped up & replaced.

Our want projects are a new fire place & redo our master bathroom.

corvette said:

The Tahoe is dripping oil on my driveway. Not a lot, but enough to notice on well maintained blacktop. Ugh.

That ain't good. Could it be as easy as a leak from a fairly recent oil change? That is where I'd start.

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    edited December 2019
    @nyccarguy,
    I replaced my gas furnace, water heater and A/C for under 10K.
    97 or 98% efficiency furnace, 17 seer A/C.
    Maybe labor costs are a lot higher in Fairfield county.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    jmonroe said:

corvette said:

That ain't good. Could it be as easy as a leak from a fairly recent oil change? That is where I'd start.

jmonroe
    Yes and no. I noticed an occasional drip every now and then, before the recent oil change. It’s one drip a day, now. That might be it. There’s some seeping at the front of the engine, but everything below it is dry. Looks like it’s coming from the back. All of the bolts I can see without a lift look tight. Not sure I can see the drain plug.
    tahoe? That is the signal to get shopping.

For HVAC, that sounds really high for a smaller house. Unless it is not just swapping the equipment out. If you need new ductwork runs, etc, I have no idea what that will do to the price.

edited December 2019
    New outside A/C and inside coil was over $4k for a basic model 2 ton, for me, and I’m in what is considered a low cost of living area.