Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    IIRC our wedding was nearly $200 a head. That was on a Friday night. Saturday night was more expensive. Quite honestly the venue is only one cost.

Flowers, transportation, pictures, dress, tuxedo, favors, bridal party gifts..... the list goes on.

I think if you count the honeymoon ours was over $50K all in.

Now we did get nearly 20K in gifts, but still, that's a lot of cash.

We paid for about 2/3 of ours out of our own pocket.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    qbrozen said:

Good god. $200/mo all in for a Tacoma double cab v6 SR on a 39/12k term. Insane. And very very tempting.

Where's the proof. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    edited December 2019
    corvette said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

60-70 Edmunds friends and their +1? At $40/per, that's going to be an expensive reception. :D

$40 per? I don’t think you’ve priced wedding receptions lately.
    To say the least. I’m 7 years removed and you aren’t getting catering from chick-fil-a for that kinda $$.
    A cousin worked for CFA and had CFA nuggets as an app, but traditional Irish stuff as the main course. It was a booze free wedding, but I repeatedly threatened my mom I would bring a flask... ;)
    Last wedding I paid for was my own, in 1993. ;)

Just one son, so I’ll only be on the hook for the rehearsal dinner and tuxes. Current girlfriend (his, not mine) has a doctor for a father. :D

No engagement yet, though..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    qbrozen said:

Good god. $200/mo all in for a Tacoma double cab v6 SR on a 39/12k term. Insane. And very very tempting.

What?!? Where? The Tahoe has made it obvious it’s not going to last forever, and I just paid off the G. Just saying!
    @jmonroe sorry, I sent the rest of the Santa money to my mortgage servicer. Imagine making it so frustrating to pay extra that someone writes out a paper check and mails it! They made it unclear whether it would cancel out next month's autopay, then sent me to a sketchy third party website which demanded my bank info (which they should already have due to the autopay). Never mind, I'd rather just practice my handwriting skills and mail a check!
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    qbrozen said:

If it makes a difference you now get a power driver's seat starting with the TRD models. I think the touchscreen is bigger too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Weddings, what a racket. My parents simply eloped, and did it the roadburner way, pocketed some money instead.

My sister's first wedding cost a small fortune, as she got caught up in the hype, and the groom's family bankrolled a lot of it (bootstrapping, building it yourself, and so on). She learned her lesson by the second one, which cost maybe 1/10th of the first one (much better husband this time around, too).
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

What?!? Where? The Tahoe has made it obvious it’s not going to last forever, and I just paid off the G. Just saying!
    Philadelphia is my guess. There's a broker there that has some great Toyota deals, particularly on Tundra and Tacomas.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

A couple of friends have sons and when they got married in both cases the bride's family expected them to share the cost of the wedding as well as pay for the rehearsal dinner. I told my son that if/when he gets married we aren't paying for the wedding. However, I'll give the couple a BIG cash gift if they will just elope and be done with it.

Typical nowadays is a 50-50 split, or maybe the bride and groom pick up some of the tab since they tend to be older and more established these days tha when we were young. The old days where the bride’s family paid for nearly everything aren’t as common anymore.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Philadelphia is my guess. There's a broker there that has some great Toyota deals, particularly on Tundra and Tacomas.
    Willing to get a plane ticket if the deals are better there, though I’d prefer a Tundra. Just need the manufacturer’s certificate of origin to get it inspected here.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    To me buying a Tpyota truck is like buying a new Model T.
    There is a new Tundra on the horizon, so if you can wait, there may blow out the old gen deals.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Tacoma was new in 2016, I think. Agree on the Tundra.
    corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Willing to get a plane ticket if the deals are better there, though I’d prefer a Tundra. Just need the manufacturer’s certificate of origin to get it inspected here.
    Looks like Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmaxes can be had for under $300/month for 24/10. Most of the Tundra deals seem to range from the high $200s to around $330-$350 depending on equipment level.

Tacoma was new in 2016 and was "refreshed" for 2020. They added AA/CarPlay, bigger touchscreen, power drivers seat on TRD and up models, new grilles, wheels on some trim, and Army Green as a color. I think HID lights are an option, as is an under truck camera on the TRD Off Road and Pro.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Yes, Philly broker on LH forum. $176/mo + tax, tags, $141 doc fee. So, for NJ, I came up with $200, give or take depending on exact DMV fee (I plugged in $350).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Yes, Philly broker on LH forum. $176/mo + tax, tags, $141 doc fee. So, for NJ, I came up with $200, give or take depending on exact DMV fee (I plugged in $350).
    Wow. Is that 4WD? Even if it's not that's a great deal. I'd like a few extra options than the SR5 provides but that's still impressive.
    jpp75 said:

qbrozen said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Wow. Is that 4WD? Even if it's not that's a great deal. I'd like a few extra options than the SR5 provides but that's still impressive.
    Yes, 4x4. $34k’ish MSRP.

I believe the SR5 can be had for $25/mo more

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    yes I would be tempted by that deal to have as the spare/2nd car (AKA my car) if my wife had something nice that we could use as the everyday and travel car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

weddings? only bigger scam/ripoff going is funerals. At least with a wedding the guest of honor (sorta) remembers it.

I have told my daughter for years that I think everyone should just go to vegas and get married at the Elvis chapel, then have a nice house party when they get home. I am finally almost done paying off the HELOC from paying the bulk of the college costs, no way am I going into hock or wiping out my reserve fund to pay that kind of money for a wedding. If they want to go over the top, they can figure out how to pay for it.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    Dad gave each of my sisters a generous check and hoped they would use it wisely. They did and managed to have a very nice special occasion.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

weddings? only bigger scam/ripoff going is funerals. At least with a wedding the guest of honor (sorta) remembers it.

At least with funerals, they are regulated, most states require the pricing to be clearly disclosed, and they are generally cheaper than weddings. Also, any given person is only ever going to be the party being honored at one funeral, which isn't necessarily true for weddings.

IIRC, both my cousin's daughters were handed a check and told they could keep whatever they didn't spend, and they both had very simple barn weddings on the family farm.
    Funerals are at least cheaper!

tjc78 said:

Funerals are at least cheaper!

You owe me a Coke! :p
    corvette said:

@jmonroe sorry, I sent the rest of the Santa money to my mortgage servicer. Imagine making it so frustrating to pay extra that someone writes out a paper check and mails it! They made it unclear whether it would cancel out next month's autopay, then sent me to a sketchy third party website which demanded my bank info (which they should already have due to the autopay). Never mind, I'd rather just practice my handwriting skills and mail a check!

I know I'm showing my(our) age but we don't autopay anything, nothing. Nor do we do any financial stuff on line. Our sons think we are way too old fashioned but we made it this far so I can't see us changing now. As much as Mrs. j hates writing checks (probably a dozen a month) she, just like me, can't give some box somewhere our account numbers. I personally don't get it but I know the rest of the world gets it.

jmonroe

well, JM, every time you write a check, you are giving the recipient your account numbers.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,242
    stickguy said:

well, JM, every time you write a check, you are giving the recipient your account numbers.

And, the routing number, too!

Not sure I see what the difference is. I write maybe one or two checks a month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

I agree but I think there is much less of a chance it will be blabed all over the internet.

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

I agree but I think there is much less of a chance it will be blabed all over the internet.

jmonroe
    You think people with green eyeshades are recording your payments into a ledger with a fountain pen?

Everything ends up on-line, eventually, and data breaches are a fact of life.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Even written checks are scanned in to their computers. My statements have images of the checks I have written.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    Went skiing with my family today at Windham Mountain located in upstate, NY about 2 1/2 hours from my house. As always, the Pilot was up to the task. 2 kids in row 2, 1 in the 3rd along with boots, helmets, poles, & snow pants. Skis secured to the roof on my (close to) 15 year old Thule Rack. DVD player kept the kiddos entertained while Rebecca and I were kept as comfortable as 2 people in their mid 40s who spent the majority of the day using muscles and ligaments that don’t normally get used. We even got some mud on our meaty B/F Goodrich tires.

Lots of SUVs in the parking lot along with a bunch of pick up trucks (Friggin Raptor is so damn cool). I saw 2, 1st generation Audi TT Coupes with steel wheels, wheel covers, snow tires, & a roof rack. The design of that car still looks sharp to me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    You think people with green eyeshades are recording your payments into a ledger with a fountain pen?

I guess I'll have to slow down the process as long as I can.

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I've got it! If you don't pay your bills, they won't ever get that information from you.

:sunglasses:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I hate writing checks... unfortunately I have to pay our daughter’s school with one and actually have one bill that can’t be paid online directly I write one for.

I have several on auto pay as well.

Like mentioned all check processing is digital anyway so it’s “on the Internet” whether you want it or not.

I also love that with mobile deposit I almost never have to go to the bank.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Michaell said:

Not sure I see what the difference is. I write maybe one or two checks a month.

I write maybe 1 or 2 checks a year. I ordered checks with my new address when I bought this place in '97. Still working on using the last of them. Probably used the majority of them in the first 5 years.

You've made me think about the evolution of my bill-paying routine. Like everyone my age I started by writing checks and mailing them to the biller. Spent a lot on stamps and envelopes. When ATMs came along I used them to pay as many bills as possible, stick the bill payment stub in the ATM envelope with the payment receipt and feed it to the machine. As soon as online payments came along I was all over them. Night and day difference.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

A couple of friends have sons and when they got married in both cases the bride's family expected them to share the cost of the wedding as well as pay for the rehearsal dinner. I told my son that if/when he gets married we aren't paying for the wedding. However, I'll give the couple a BIG cash gift if they will just elope and be done with it.

Told my son the same. I won’t pay for a large wedding. I would buy a round trip flight for two to Europe and a one week hotel stay, though.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Used to be the check routing system returned the physical checks to your bank, and you'd get the cancelled checks back in the mail with your statement. If memory serves, the banks had discussed moving to an electronic system for some time, but were forced to make the change quickly when flights were grounded after 9/11.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391
    All this talk of weddings is giving me PTSD.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Digital banking...a boon for consumers but it's created a number of challenges on the compliance side. I personally use both traditional and digital channels.
    Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

jmonroe
    I've got it! If you don't pay your bills, they won't ever get that information from you.

:sunglasses:
    I never thought of that but it could work. I don't care one iota about my credit rating going to zero. Only one shaky thing I'm a little concerned with..do you think they'd put an old man in debtors prison for the duration? Especially since he had such a good track record for so long. :o

jmonroe

What are you talking about, maybe 10 years, at most? I've had it a hellava lot longer than that. :'(

jmonroe

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,391
    edited December 2019
    jmonroe said:

What are you talking about, maybe 10 years, at most? I've had it a hellava lot longer than that. :'(

jmonroe
    7 years since the event. But there was the 2 years of planning beforehand.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

jmonroe said:

jmonroe
    7 years since the event. But there was the 2 years of planning beforehand.
    With 2 years of planing you should have been able to come out on the winning side. I only had 1 year. In a way it's good that you have Chronic Car Buyers Disease, everyone can understand the lack of planing when you have that disease. ;)

jmonroe

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We had a HUGE wedding last summer, and it was a blast! Yes it cost a lot, and everyone from far and near had a wonderful time. Many beautiful memories. Mazel Tov, @Sandman6472!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

how do you think I feel? I have a 24 YO daughter that currently lives with her boyfriend.

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

Great news!! We're having a wedding!! 10-10-20 is the date down south right near our house. Super excited here now, just have to sit down and see how much this is gonna cost me! Will be just after sundown on that Saturday as it won't be a religious ceremony, both mom and me were cognizant about waiting till the Shabbat Queen leaves and Shabbat is over. We had our wedding on a Sunday so we had no issues but we're Jewish...an he's not! So have to tread lightly here but on this point, both of us wouldn't budge, Shabbat has to be over and sundown is supposed to be 6:58 that night. So, a 7:15 ceremony should be just fine. It's also Columbus Day weekend though down south here, it's not anything special.
    Glad I'm still working so we can help them as much as we can. Our last name ain't Rockefeller or Vanderbuilt but will do what we can to make it as nice as it should be!
    Having two girls, I knew this day would come. With our son, we just had the dinner the night before to cover. Luckily, the venue is right near the house and we'll do it all right there. Mentioned having a chuppa but not sure they'll go that way, though, I think they should.

Congrats!
    My daughter just got engaged and we will have a wedding in Sept. 2020. On our property in a tent! +/- 150 guests. Already met with a caterer/wedding planner. Cha-ching!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

sb55 said:

Great news!! We're having a wedding!! 10-10-20 is the date down south right near our house. Super excited here now, just have to sit down and see how much this is gonna cost me! Will be just after sundown on that Saturday as it won't be a religious ceremony, both mom and me were cognizant about waiting till the Shabbat Queen leaves and Shabbat is over. We had our wedding on a Sunday so we had no issues but we're Jewish...an he's not! So have to tread lightly here but on this point, both of us wouldn't budge, Shabbat has to be over and sundown is supposed to be 6:58 that night. So, a 7:15 ceremony should be just fine. It's also Columbus Day weekend though down south here, it's not anything special.
    Glad I'm still working so we can help them as much as we can. Our last name ain't Rockefeller or Vanderbuilt but will do what we can to make it as nice as it should be!
    Having two girls, I knew this day would come. With our son, we just had the dinner the night before to cover. Luckily, the venue is right near the house and we'll do it all right there. Mentioned having a chuppa but not sure they'll go that way, though, I think they should.

Congrats!
    My daughter just got engaged and we will have a wedding in Sept. 2020. On our property in a tent! +/- 150 guests. Already met with a caterer/wedding planner. Cha-ching!
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding. My oldest nephew had a tent wedding. If yours is half as nice you will be very happy.

jmonroe

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    stickguy said:

how do you think I feel? I have a 24 YO daughter that currently lives with her boyfriend.
    Hey... my son lives with his 24 YO girlfriend.... do you think... Nah..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Have no clue yet what'll happen. Since it's going to be a nondenominational one on a Saturday, all we asked for, so far, is that it must be after sundown so Shabbat is over. This is one thing we won't budge on, we'd much prefer Sunday since it is Columbus Day weekend, she still wants Saturday, so it's going to be 10/10/20 at sundown. Asked also for a chuppa to get married under, but not sure we'll get that. As for who pays what and how much, have no clue. Still have to meet his folks and then we'll go from there. If the venue here in South Florida doesn't pan out, it'll be in the Orlando area. But again, we'll find out. She did call her brother in Chicago and made sure he and his wife will be coming no matter where it is.
    They're both in their mid-30's and he's doing quite well so, once we have "the talk", we'll know what we need to do. Luckily, both kids are smart and my daughter gets our financial situation but I also agree with giving her a "check" and then be there if it runs out.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)