Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is my alt bad or something else?

BigwightboyBigwightboy Member Posts: 2
edited December 2019 in Isuzu
Hi, I have a 94 Bighorn 3.1 TD. In May I put it back on the road after being layed up for 2 years. The alt was shot so I had it rebuilt. The garage that put it on for me said the belt was at full adjustment but not 100% so screeched for about 500 yards then all ok. About two months ago the battery died suddenly when I went to start after being parked for 15 mins. I changed the battery but noticed that the charge rate fluctuated greatly. For the next 3 or 4 weeks the scenario repeated its self; all would be working fine, then battery dead for no apparent reason (charge voltage still fluctuating). Then I noticed the belt was quite slack; I fitted new belts and immediately was charging at a steady 14ish volts on the dash voltmeter. After about a mile it rose to 16 V (max on scale) but dropped back when I took my foot off the accelerator, only to rise to 16 V as soon as revs increased. The following day on starting in the morning the engine started straight away but the dash warning lights stayed on and no demister i.e. charge relay not kicking in. After about 2 miles the relay kicked in and back to 16 V when revving and about 14 V at idle. This continued for 2 days until I started after doing shopping and the charge relay hasn't kicked in since, so draining the battery. Any ideas please? I have been told it could have damaged the alt by running with a slack belt, also could have blown the charge fuse, although I can't find where that is located.
Any help would be gratefully received.

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    To me, "at full adjustment" and screeching both indicate the belt to the alternator wasn't at the proper tension, so charging problems and/or possible damage to the alternator. Probably need to start with testing the alternator and making sure the belt is properly tensioned. Got to find out if the alternator is an issue
  • BigwightboyBigwightboy Member Posts: 2
    Thank you PF_Flyer, I fitted a new belt, but think the alt has already been damaged
  • PshelPshel Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019
    Ok so this saturn is gonna drive someone crazy , it's been through 5 alternators(usually during puddle season),so now again it's happening, had someone come in &brush out the brushes in alternator was full of little muddy rocks/dirt, like really what else could be going on?