Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    breld said:

The second part of the conversation was all about meeting with his supervisor and the VW rep and seeing if something could be done as a "goodwill" gesture. And he encouraged us to call Customer Care so VW can get going on it too.

I think he could have started out with what the options are before blurting out that it isn't covered, but nevertheless, I thought worst case was that clearly it will be covered under warranty and then we'll have to make decisions on our comfort level with the car after the repair. I still think that may happen, but the worst case scenario is significantly worse.

Typical service department; bounce a warranty claim then start back-peddling. I've had that happen. It's a loong story but in the end I got some revenge but was still out 3 grand.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    breld said:

Just visited the service dept at our VW dealership.

First, they let us know the clutch had failed and needs to be replaced. Yup, we figured that out on our own.

Second, the advisor stated the cost of the replacement is $3,200, to which my wife quickly replied, "covered under warranty," to which he quickly said, "no, it's considered a wear item."

The plot thickens. It sucks that YOU have to call customer care to fight for this.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited January 2020
    That stinks. Sounds like a typical VW dis-service department. I thought even wear items were generally covered for 1 year / 12k for most makes?

I predict a punch once the dust settles here. And probably no more VW purchases in the breld household for quite some time.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    @breld
    Stunned on this. Let’s hope they make it right.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    corvette said:

I predict a punch once the dust settles here. And probably no more VW purchases in the breld household for quite some time.

This is correct.

Maybe the stars align this time with @kyfdx and my GTI.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    breld said:

The second part of the conversation was all about meeting with his supervisor and the VW rep and seeing if something could be done as a "goodwill" gesture. And he encouraged us to call Customer Care so VW can get going on it too.

I think he could have started out with what the options are before blurting out that it isn't covered, but nevertheless, I thought worst case was that clearly it will be covered under warranty and then we'll have to make decisions on our comfort level with the car after the repair. I still think that may happen, but the worst case scenario is significantly worse.

If the problem is the cooling lines, how can that be related to clutch wear, anyway?

Them: Not covered
    Me: Get ready for the worst week of your life

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    xwesx said:

Yes....got a Stinger a couple of weeks ago.

Nice; congrats! Don't forget to update that signature line. :D
    Thanks. Tried to update the siggy several times. Edmunds won’t allow it for some reason!
    breld said:

Just visited the service dept at our VW dealership.

First, they let us know the clutch had failed and needs to be replaced. Yup, we figured that out on our own.

Second, the advisor stated the cost of the replacement is $3,200, to which my wife quickly replied, "covered under warranty," to which he quickly said, "no, it's considered a wear item."

Uh....Oh....that’s not good! Bad decision on VW’s end. Hope they see the light!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    So shortsighted. It'd be one thing if the primary driver was someone young and new to driving manual, but come on now.

Any reports on other forums as far as premature clutch wear?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    breld said:

No, just no. Even a newbie would have a hard time roasting a clutch in 8k miles.

Good luck. Once the dust settled I’m anxious to see what the replacement will be.

Definitely gives me pause on looking at an Atlas at some point.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    breld said:

Please ask how exactly a worn clutch plate makes the clutch pedal drop to the floor. I feel the need to understand this because it is the exact opposite of all my experience.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yeah, I know so little about the mechanics of a clutch system so am unable to ask the right questions or make those kinds of observations, but I do need to make sure to get all relevant facts from their investigation.

My wife just got off the phone with customer care and they've escalated it, so nothing new at this point, which is what I expected. She did ask that the vehicle be bought back, which I advised her to do in the spirit of "may as well ask." At a minimum, I would want them to offer a warranty on the replaced clutch. I mean, the failed clutch was a new one 9k miles ago too...are we to be driving it on pins and needles waiting for another failure?

We'll see...my wife has a gift with words, so I'm letting her handle the correspondence.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    I would tell them not to touch it again until this is resolved. Because I would be getting a 2nd opinion from an expert if they are digging in to not cover it. Clutches can wear, with slipping along the way, but don’t just die.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Send a Graphic guy in to handle this. VW will rue the day they messed with you!

kyfdx said:

If the problem is the cooling lines, how can that be related to clutch wear, anyway?

'twas me with the leaky oil cooler lines on the Tahoe. I don't think breld mentioned anything about cooler lines on the Alltrack.
    Our Golf R had a clutch that didn't quite feel right and stuck sometimes.

There was zero indication that anything was going on with the Alltrack, and for that matter, no warning lights ever came on at all, even when the failure occurred. My wife had taken a picture of the instrument panel as she was being pulled to the side of the road to show that there were no such warning lights.

Bad bad form, especially given the history we have with driver's former A4 clutch. I'm a big VW guy but this is enough to turn me away...
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    breld said:

There's no way that failure was caused by "wear," in which case saying that it is a wear item is just totally asinine. You should get photographs of exactly WHAT failed in there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Please ask how exactly a worn clutch plate makes the clutch pedal drop to the floor. I feel the need to understand this because it is the exact opposite of all my experience.
    Yeah, I totally agree. I have experienced a lot of clutch issues in my life, and not a single one reflects this scenario in any way.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    FWIW, @breld texted me a link to a possible Alltrack replacement, last night...

...and, we've been kicking around replacements for the GTI. Not many manual transmission fun cars left (and, an even fewer number that @breld hasn't already owned...)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Their reasoning sounds along the lines of "sorry the brake caliper on your new car broke in half, but since brakes are a wear item, it's not covered under warranty."
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited January 2020
    breld said:

corvette said:

This is correct.

Maybe the stars align this time with @kyfdx and my GTI.
    @breld - I don't recall if you bought the alltrack new or used. What was in service date?

Never mind, I just looked back and saw it was new in August of 2019. I wonder why the dealership service department is making this so painful as it is <12 months and <12k miles???
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    I'd be a bit jaded too if a critical part failed prematurely and that's the response I get Especially since I would have concerns over another failure on that same part and that response does little to alleviate the concern it wouldn't happen again.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited January 2020
    If it's a wear item, it doesn't pack up all at once -- it wears out. The disk has to be worn down for the "wear item" excuse to be valid. My guess is that the service adviser has no clue how a clutch on a manual transmission works. If they're going to try to stick you with the repair bill, demand to have the disk as evidence that it was worn out.

Good luck. The clutch on my 2008 Acura TSX is still working fine at 161K miles.

I've rented VW products in the past, but given what I've seen here, I wouldn't be caught dead buying one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    What about an Outback with the new turbo engine? Subaru seems to take care of their customers when things go wrong.
    Thanks to everyone for the condolences and advice. It provides me a lot of insight on points to bring up with them.

edited January 2020
    Strangely the VW warranty flat out says clutch disc is not covered unless the replacement is necessary as a part of warranty service on a covered component. That's nuts.

https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/brochures/2019/Warranty Booklet-2019.pdf
    You could park it out front with a giant lemon on it. That might be effective.
    Well, there is no proof so far the clutch disk us, in fact, worn out. If it were, you would see gradual deterioration in performance, and not a pedal that stuck to the floor.

breld said:

Thanks to everyone for the condolences and advice. It provides me a lot of insight on points to bring up with them.

I really hope this works out for you guys. It just sucks because you are such VW fans.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

mjfloyd1 said:

Strangely the VW warranty flat out says clutch disc is not covered unless the replacement is necessary as a part of warranty service on a covered component. That's nuts.

I can see that. A clutch disc doesn't wear out, except from use/abuse. And, I'll guess that @breld 's clutch disc is in good shape, too. (we shall see, I guess)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

'twas me with the leaky oil cooler lines on the Tahoe. I don't think breld mentioned anything about cooler lines on the Alltrack.
    Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

I can see that. A clutch disc doesn't wear out, except from use/abuse. And, I'll guess that @breld 's clutch disc is in good shape, too. (we shall see, I guess)
    Surely you are right. Something must have broken and if the clutch disc is broken, it was taken out by that.
    corvette said:

What about an Outback with the new turbo engine? Subaru seems to take care of their customers when things go wrong.

Anything with the 5 star logo would not get far with Mrs. Breld.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    mjfloyd1 said:

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Surely you are right. Something must have broken and if the clutch disc is broken, it was taken out by that.
    The service advisor is shooting from the hip. Not all that surprising. Probably saw something about "disc wear" somewhere and threw that out. There's a pretty good chance he's never even driven a stick. Oh, he knows what a clutch pedal is but if he had to move a car with a stick, it would barely move and the car would reek from that awful smell. I'm laying odds on that. Anyone in here think otherwise?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @breld,
    Sorry to hear about your family being stranded on the the road and glad they are OK.
    The only time I had a clutch pedal drop to the floor and not come back up was when the clutch cable snapped.
    Hydraulic clutches don't have a cable, but like qbrozen said, clutch wear doesn't seem to be the root cause.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Yes, but don't call me shirley.

Shirley you jest
    I was thinking part of the linkage broke, but VW may only sell it as an entire assembly, ergo, it’s a $3k “clutch assembly” and not covered.
    pensfan83 said:

These people need to go to a hospital.
    What is it?
    It's a big place where sick people go

Just got back from the Poconos? 🙄

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@breld, you seemed to like the Mazda3, and it’s been a while since you owned one.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    mjfloyd1 said:

Indeed. That implies that a clutch disc can never be defective from new.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    mjfloyd1 said:

It might still work out ok because maybe the clutch master cylinder or even the clutch pedal linkage failed which should all be covered by warranty. And if any of that resulted in damage to the clutch disc, then if necessary the clutch should be replaced under warranty due to damage caused by the covered component.

As others have posted it doesn't sound like the clutch wore out either by use or abuse. Something else broke.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    agreed. and also sounds like the service writer spoke too soon and put his foot in mouth. Either that or it is a shyster operation and they are told to deny every warranty claim possible as the first move.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Driver's Audi and now this fiasco make me extremely hesitant to deal with those automakers.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited January 2020
    corvette said:

@breld, you seemed to like the Mazda3, and it’s been a while since you owned one.

Definitely on the list.

As well as the option of reversing course and getting another Miata.

so not only are you ditching the Alltrack, going to punt the GTI too, and make a clean break from VAG?