Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

Putting the Taco to work,

Assuming those are new radiators? We don’t see many of those around these parts.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    In the bed of the truck? Plastic radiators. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    I was going to comment on that - they still make radiators?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    Yes. Those are cast iron radiators. I sell a decent amount of them. Mostly they are 4 tube x 19” high. The ones I picked up today were 6 tube x 25” high.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    @nyccarguy,
    Who buys them?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Hmmm...curious as to what a lease looks like for a 2020 Bolt.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30530757/chevrolet-bolt-ev-lease-incentive/

In Colorado, you can also get a $4,000 tax credit for purchase, or $2,000 on a lease. And oftentimes, the lender will apply that tax credit to the purchase/lease (you assign the tax credit to them).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983

@breld.....I’m livid about your VW experience....and it’s not even my car.

For no other reason than to let your feelings known, I’d find out who the president of VW North America is, and write him/her a strongly worded message about your disappointment.

It’s no like VW hasn’t had enough customer service problems based on their diesel fiasco.

No consolation, but I was relaying your story to my son last night. He empathizes but isn’t surprised. While he hasn’t had anything major go wrong with his GTI, he’s not a fan of VW’s service depts at the two VW dealers he’s had service done. I guess same sort of arrogance, claiming owner error when getting warranty work done.

Must be a VWoA thing.

That’s why I left VW, after having owned many, about 10 years ago. Disappointing. I hope our experience with the Audi service department is positive. I know it will not be inexpensive. I have been very pleased with the cost of service at the local Honda dealers.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    I’m seeing Bolt Premier leases for first month due at signing and $275-$300 a month after tax. This is before state rebates. Not sure what the GM incentives are by you.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    breld said:

In Colorado, you can also get a $4,000 tax credit for purchase, or $2,000 on a lease. And oftentimes, the lender will apply that tax credit to the purchase/lease (you assign the tax credit to them).

LT
    $2500 dealer cash
    $7250 lease cash

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    breld said:

My dealer took the whole $7500 credit off the price When we leased the Volt. Our state has rebates too, and our electric company. Often Costco has incentives as well.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793

BTW if that alltrack with failed clutch had a diesel engine to go with the stickshift then I would probably buy it myself (PUNCH!) . No more VWs for me, but I've owned 5 and they were fine family vehicles too - no strandings. The one gasser was a 1965 beetle. I traded my final VW (2006 jetta TDI) just as the camshaft started dissolving right on schedule around 130k miles causing alarming misses on the highway. Also I've owned 25 vehicles and have seen many more clutch issues due to broken parts and only rarely/recently have I had to replace a clutch, once on a Lancer bought used for a son, and that same year on an 05 GTO with 80k ($3800 for new clutch due to dissolved pilot/needle bearings, including transmission input shaft for $700).

My truck turns 51 this year; I have never done a thing with the clutch. It is still fully original in every respect.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2020

@nyccarguy,
    Who buys them?

I imagine it is not really all that uncommon considering all of the old buildings in that region with steam heating systems. Landlords of those places surely do not want to invest in a full heating system replacement! Yikes.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    suydam said:

breld said:

My dealer took the whole $7500 credit off the price When we leased the Volt. Our state has rebates too, and our electric company. Often Costco has incentives as well.
    Not the dealer giving the fed rebate. Finance company.
    Correct. But it was GM Finance.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    not my choice of colors, but this seems like a reasonable deal for something only 1.5 YO and such low miles. Not the highest option load, but has all the important stuff.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2018-mercedes~benz-c~class-certified_c300_4matic_awd_navigation_camera_blis-used-55swf4kb3ju268475.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

not my choice of colors, but this seems like a reasonable deal for something only 1.5 YO and such low miles. Not the highest option load, but has all the important stuff.

https://www.eimports4less.com/details-2018-mercedes~benz-c~class-certified_c300_4matic_awd_navigation_camera_blis-used-55swf4kb3ju268475.html

No LEDs. Pass.
    Yeah, lack of lighting package is a deal-breaker for me too. Retrofit is something like 3K if you do it right, so that's a no-go. I like the "market price" claim in that ad, too, what? Original MSRP perhaps.
    looks like HIDs standard though. I imagine they are more than adequate for normal use. Maybe the LEDs are a little better but I doubt it would be a deal breaker to me if I drove them back to back.

@nyccarguy,
    Who buys them?

Landlords, Management Companies, Private Home Owners. Lots of buildings 'round these here parts still use steam heat. These radiators also work for hydronic as well. Some people in the suburbs often want the "retro, authentic" look.

One of the many items I sell that has had it's costs increase dramatically due to the impact of the tariffs. The 19" high radiators (not the ones pictured in my truck) used to cost me $5 per section. Now depending on the size, they cost me between $9 & $10 per section.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@graphicguy - love your 2 cars & your very organized garage.

Tlx is relatively tall for sedans these days. IMO one big reason CUVs are taking over. People don’t want to be low riding, or need to climb up out of the seat, and have to drop in.

nyccarguy said:

Thanks, Bradd! I think I’m OCD about the garage. I just moved a refrigerator out of it because I thought it looked tacky. I miss the extra fridge and freezer as it came in handy. But, appearances take precedence. LOL!
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,875
    Reply from Subaru:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

Seat upholstery is covered against defects by the Subaru new car warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Damage such as cuts from sharp objects would typically not be covered.

If you retailer feels this is not able to be covered by your Subaru warranty, you are welcome to send me a repair estimate from your Subaur retailer to review for you. I can then determine if any goodwill assistance can be offered to you.

Thanks again for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXX
    Subaru of America, Inc.

So it appears the dealer thinks I cut it or snagged it somehow. I guess there is no way to prove I did, but there is no way they can prove I didn't. The way this is worded it seems it would be covered if the dealer guy said so.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    Wish I could be OCD about my garage. It is such a mess all the time. I'll clean off my workbench and have it filled with stuff again in a week.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Venture, what happened to your Subaru?
    qbrozen said:

Wish I could be OCD about my garage. It is such a mess all the time. I'll clean off my workbench and have it filled with stuff again in a week.

Q...Believe it or not, that pic shows my garage at it's "messy" stage. I have the garage door light cover hanging down because I needed access to the "learn" button for the Home Link on the Stinger. The light cover clip that held it in place broke. It's just hanging there, driving me nuts. So far, I haven't been able to find just the light cover to replace it.

Plus, although you can't see it, the 2nd fridge was actually just to the left (in front of the TLX) of the door. I hastily put some shelving in there but haven't organized it, yet. I've got work to do. Getting another car has put my garage into a state of flux! ;)
    Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the cover up.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,875
    edited January 2020
    corvette said:

Venture, what happened to your Subaru?

The drivers outside bolster became a little delaminated; the vinyl portion of the leather "seating surfaces".

I just stopped in there and talked to the GSM about it and took along the email. They are ordering the seat covering. :smile:

I just remembered - I posted that in C&C, not in here. It's rough getting old. :smile:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

Agreed!

I love an organized garage - I felt good about our last one, but moving sure does help with getting a fresh start.

I really want to get the floors professionally finished, but it's pricey.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

Agreed!

I love an organized garage - I felt good about our last one, but moving sure does help with getting a fresh start.

I dream about a garage like you had at your old place. That was incredible!

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

Agreed!

My BIL just did that for their 3 car garage (he stores his boat in one of the bays). It looks incredible.
    I’m not spending the money on this house, but when I finally get out of here, the next place I am doing the floor before we move in. Might paint, or do race deck tiles. My BIL did that and it came out nice.

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

Agreed!

I thought about getting the garage floor coated with that material that’s impervious to everything. But, you’re right. It is pricey. Plus, I’m seriously . I’m toying with the idea of downsizing. I doubt I’ll tie the knot again. My house is close to 3,000 sq.

I have 4 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms. I can only use one at a time. I would miss my Home Theater Room, as I’ve spent a lot of time and money setting it up. But, I can recreate it in a smaller venue, too.

That will give me a chance to do the “big purge” and get rid of stuff I fill my current house with and never use.
    The big purge, along with cutting the monthly nut, is why I want to downsize. Since we don’t need this much room either. The wife somehow thinks we do need big house. But mostly I think she resists because it’s all her stuff collected that needs purging!

They are a vanity thing for me - full LED looks cooler. And if you are in that deep, what's another toy? :) Next gen models and some current models have much more subtle visible differences between normal and full/deluxe LED setups, so it isn't as big a deal. When I leased my W212s, the full lighting package was a must-have, I wasn't interested in cars without it, simply for the look. W213 with or without lighting is nearly identical, but it seems more have it.
    stickguy said:

looks like HIDs standard though. I imagine they are more than adequate for normal use. Maybe the LEDs are a little better but I doubt it would be a deal breaker to me if I drove them back to back.

edited January 2020
    The heat radiator thing is interesting, one of those regional differences, no doubt because of colder climates. In the PNW, radiator heat is virtually unknown outside of early 20th century commercial/larger apartment buildings, and same era larger higher end homes. However, central heat isn't uncommon here even in old houses.

I too would love to have graphicguy's garage, but in an area where "affordable" housing means 500K and a 90 minute + soul-crushing commute when it rains, maybe not on the radar.
    edited January 2020
    After pricing stuff, it looks to me like I can get the high-impact tiles for about the same as the paint-on stuff. And, with the tiles, I can do just the parking areas of the garage so I don't have to move everything out. That's been my plan for years but never can seem to have the money to spare for something not absolutely necessary. I actually have the pattern drawn up and everything.

speaking of house stuff, I FINALLY finished hooking up my standby generator. Bear of a job, so I guess I understand why it costs so much to get it done professionally. Weird thing is, when I went to program it, the date and time were already correct. There was no power to it for probably a few months, and I never programmed it. The only explanation is that it has some kind of small battery on the board somewhere just for the memory, but do those really last THAT long?

Anyway, it works great thus far. I shut off the power from the street and it kicked on within 20 secs without a hiccup and had no problem supplying power to everything I had on in the house. Not sure it would handle AC, but maybe we'll find out this summer. haha. It is a 12 kw for anybody curious.

whoops. this probably belongs in that other general discussion. oh well.

Ok, here is a thought. I wonder what would happen if the Ioniq was charging when the power goes out and generator kicks in.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

This is a little secret that seems very foreign to a lot of us..... This is much easier to accomplish when it is just you! :D
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I just have a 2000w inverter generator and a bypass switch with plug to attach an extension cord installed on my furnace. I can also keep my internet going and run the fridge, microwave, etc., although not all at the same time. It would also run a window A/C unit, in the less likely event of a summer power outage.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    qbrozen said:

After pricing stuff, it looks to me like I can get the high-impact tiles for about the same as the paint-on stuff. And, with the tiles, I can do just the parking areas of the garage so I don't have to move everything out. That's been my plan for years but never can seem to have the money to spare for something not absolutely necessary. I actually have the pattern drawn up and everything.

speaking of house stuff, I FINALLY finished hooking up my standby generator. Bear of a job, so I guess I understand why it costs so much to get it done professionally. Weird thing is, when I went to program it, the date and time were already correct. There was no power to it for probably a few months, and I never programmed it. The only explanation is that it has some kind of small battery on the board somewhere just for the memory, but do those really last THAT long?

Anyway, it works great thus far. I shut off the power from the street and it kicked on within 20 secs without a hiccup and had no problem supplying power to everything I had on in the house. Not sure it would handle AC, but maybe we'll find out this summer. haha. It is a 12 kw for anybody curious.

whoops. this probably belongs in that other general discussion. oh well.

Ok, here is a thought. I wonder what would happen if the Ioniq was charging when the power goes out and generator kicks in.

Your 12KW system is good for 50 amps. So if your charging in the summer with the AC on you could be close to your limit but I doubt it. Most homes that don't heat electrically won't be pulling more than 50 amps continuously.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

qbrozen said:

I would love to set one of those up. It just hasn't risen to the top of the must-have list yet.

I would think that the Ioniq would have little to any effect on it unless you were drawing some serious amps elsewhere. Maybe, running the oven (if electric), the welder, and the heater in the swimming pool all at once. :D
    Plug in hybrid, Level 1? Not much effect at all.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited January 2020
    I believe the Ioniq draws 12 amps. I actually just ordered stuff to install a dedicated outlet for it. Of course, surgery is coming up Monday, so I'll have to move my butt if I want to install it anytime soon.

The generator and automatic-transfer switch weren't too bad. $3299 shipped to my driveway. I then had to spend a few hundred bucks on wire and a car battery. So figure $3500 or so. If it was just me, I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money for something that doesn't get used all that much, but the wife and kids are a PITA.

qbrozen said:

I believe the Ioniq draws 12 amps. I actually just ordered stuff to install a dedicated outlet for it. Of course, surgery is coming up Monday, so I'll have to move my butt if I want to install it anytime soon.

The generator and automatic-transfer switch weren't too bad. $3299 shipped to my driveway. I then had to spend a few hundred bucks on wire and a car battery. So figure $3500 or so. If it was just me, I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money for something that doesn't get used all that much, but the wife and kids are a PITA.

12 amps ain't nothin. Your electric dryer can pull 12 amps so can your toaster. I hate to be the one to tell you this but your Ionig is the definition of an appliance on four wheels. :p

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

qbrozen said:

12 amps ain't nothin. Your electric dryer can pull 12 amps so can your toaster. I hate to be the one to tell you this but your Ionig is the definition of an appliance on four wheels. :p

jmonroe
    ain't breakin nothin to me. It is exactly why I only pay $159/mo.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    qbrozen said:

We got a quote for a generator install several years ago and I think it was over $5,000 so we passed. Fortunately we've never had to go more than 12 hours or so w/o power.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    qbrozen said:

jmonroe said:

qbrozen said:

jmonroe
    ain't breakin nothin to me. It is exactly why I only pay $159/mo.
    That's still a lot of money for a toaster. :'(

jmonroe

I tried driving my toaster and it broke. You get what you pay for.

jmonroe said:

That's still a lot of money for a toaster. :'(

jmonroe

Our family plan for our phones is more expensive than that...