Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I've been periodically researching options that would power our home and allow us to function off the grid for an extended period of time - e.g. in the event of an earthquake. That latter requirement basically eliminates natural gas, propane, etc as a potential fuel because of the expectation that (1) natural gas will be broken/shutdown, and (2) travel to buy propane will be impossible, assuming there was even any left to buy.

Basically only leaves Solar, which brings along it's own bag of issues in a cloudy climate.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

jmonroe said:

That's still a lot of money for a toaster. :'(

jmonroe

Our family plan for our phones is more expensive than that...
    You can't drive those either.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Alright - just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership. They determined that the pressure plate failed (I won't pretend to know what that is - I'm sure you all can educate me) and, as such, the repair/replacement will be covered.

@michaell, @jpp75 and I have had long text conversations about what the consequence really should be for VW, but at the end of the day, covering the repair is probably the appropriate response.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    breld said:

Alright - just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership. They determined that the pressure plate failed (I won't pretend to know what that is - I'm sure you all can educate me) and, as such, the repair/replacement will be covered.

@michaell, @jpp75 and I have had long text conversations about what the consequence really should be for VW, but at the end of the day, covering the repair is probably the appropriate response.

I remember when that happened on my old Chevy. Pedal stayed down. We jacked it up in the alley and replaced it. It took about an hour.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    edited January 2020
    It’s unfortunate to happen. Likely a defective part. And absolutely should be covered. Would have been a non issue really, if the service advisors had not jumped the gun.

So you end up right where you should have, warranty repair and not goodwill.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    breld said:

it basically houses the clutch plate. It bolts up to the transmission housing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    @qbrozen good luck with surgery!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    jmonroe said:

qbrozen said:

I believe the Ioniq draws 12 amps. I actually just ordered stuff to install a dedicated outlet for it. Of course, surgery is coming up Monday, so I'll have to move my butt if I want to install it anytime soon.

The generator and automatic-transfer switch weren't too bad. $3299 shipped to my driveway. I then had to spend a few hundred bucks on wire and a car battery. So figure $3500 or so. If it was just me, I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money for something that doesn't get used all that much, but the wife and kids are a PITA.

12 amps ain't nothin. Your electric dryer can pull 12 amps so can your toaster. I hate to be the one to tell you this but your Ionig is the definition of an appliance on four wheels. :p

jmonroe
    That’s with a a level 1charger at the slowest charge. Level 2 of course much faster and fast chargers better yet. Level 1 is perfectly adequate for a plug in with limited range. It will cost you very little to charge and you Won’t need to buy gas in town. And a cheap lease. If it’s like my Volt it’s nice to drive as well. Win win!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    "The generator and automatic-transfer switch weren't too bad. $3299 shipped to my driveway."

What manufacturer did you go with? Generac, Kohler, or what? I'm seriously considering an 8 or 10 kW setup here at the cabin, which is all that's needed to keep the refrigerator, boiler, water heater and the lights on. I don't need the dryer to be included, and the stove's propane. I'll definitely pay a pro to get it up and running, so am interested in how your system works out. My next-door neighbor has a Generac, and there are several other places with generators within a couple of blocks. When it's 10-15 deg F, it's peace of mind to not be dependent on Arizona Public Service to get things working again, especially in three feet of snow with more falling.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I watched this video about a generator the other day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbpdzIDjfk
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited January 2020
    OK, explain this:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2017-FORD-SHELBY-GT350-238332

Sold for $77k with 28 actual miles. MSRP was around $68k.

Certainly one of my dream cars but if I had the hot pants for it to that degree I would have bought it new for $68k or better yet buy a new 2020.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

OK, explain this:

https://www.classic.com/a/barrett-jackson-scottsdale-2019-ln1kbpB/lots/2017-ford-shelby-gt350-liberty-walk-custom-ln16mvW/

Certainly one of my dream cars but if I had the hot pants for it to that degree I would have bought it new for $68k or better yet buy a new 2020.

When I click on it, it says sold $51700.

What an ugly body kit...
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited January 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

OK, explain this:

https://www.classic.com/a/barrett-jackson-scottsdale-2019-ln1kbpB/lots/2017-ford-shelby-gt350-liberty-walk-custom-ln16mvW/

When I click on it, it says sold $51700.

What an ugly body kit...
    Yeah, I posted the wrong link. I’ll try to find the right one but I just saw it on the Motor Trend channel.

Ok here’s the right link:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2017-FORD-SHELBY-GT350-238332

I think the price listed includes all auction fees too.

I’ll fix it in my original post too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

and if you scroll down a couple, there is a 1974 Pinto sold at $18K. Incredible.

"The generator and automatic-transfer switch weren't too bad. $3299 shipped to my driveway."

What manufacturer did you go with? Generac, Kohler, or what? I'm seriously considering an 8 or 10 kW setup here at the cabin, which is all that's needed to keep the refrigerator, boiler, water heater and the lights on. I don't need the dryer to be included, and the stove's propane. I'll definitely pay a pro to get it up and running, so am interested in how your system works out. My next-door neighbor has a Generac, and there are several other places with generators within a couple of blocks. When it's 10-15 deg F, it's peace of mind to not be dependent on Arizona Public Service to get things working again, especially in three feet of snow with more falling.

Here is my setup. Of course, its $100 less now. Lol.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Briggs-&-Stratton-40626-Standby-Generator/p102543.html

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

and if you scroll down a couple, there is a 1974 Pinto sold at $18K. Incredible.

When is the last time that you saw a perfect two tone pinto?😂
    @qbrozen interesting! Did you run the gas line yourself?
    they weren't perfect when they rolled out of the showroom.

edited January 2020
    corvette said:

@qbrozen interesting! Did you run the gas line yourself?

Yes.

I've run a few gas lines in this house. Shortly after moving in, I called "a guy" to get a quote on running a line to my garage for the heater, about 25 feet, and one to the patio for the grill. He said it would be $2k!! That's just insane. So I did it myself for less than $200. Thankfully, I had the luck of running 3/4" pipe to the patio, so when I wanted to add a line for the generator 2 years later, I just T'd off that.

stickguy said:

they weren't perfect when they rolled out of the showroom.

Well you have to overlook the exploding gas tank deal
    One of the Ubers I took to a wine bar last night was a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with a stick shift. You never forget you're in a truck. The stiff ride of my Tahoe Z71, but a hundred times worse, and extremely noisy. The engine (I think they had the Pentastar by then) seemed to provide good torque. In that price range, I think I'd buy a 4Runner or Tacoma instead.
    A strippo is $56k+? Ouch. I love that at that price, under premium options, they list a BU camera (required by law now anyway). And Bluetooth.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Thanks for the impressions, Ray. Sounds like the one you ordered is really nice. Can't wait for you to take delivery!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    corvette said:

One of the Ubers I took to a wine bar last night was a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with a stick shift. You never forget you're in a truck. The stiff ride of my Tahoe Z71, but a hundred times worse, and extremely noisy. The engine (I think they had the Pentastar by then) seemed to provide good torque. In that price range, I think I'd buy a 4Runner or Tacoma instead.

Who thinks it is a good idea to have a 6 speed Wrangler as an uber?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I hope it was at least an unlimited.

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

The person who has to cough up $500/mo for one. :'(

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

The person who has to cough up $500/mo for one. :'(
    I was sort of thinking the same thing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

stickguy said:

It was. Uber requires at least four doors and capability of holding at least five people. The back seat was far from spacious, though.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

It was. Uber requires at least four doors and capability of holding at least five people. The back seat was far from spacious, though.
    People see them and think "cool SUV". Nope, still a Wrangler. I couldn't live with one, I don't think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I would not mind a 2 door, manual, T top hardtop of older vintage, as my spare “fun” car. But not for something I drove a lot or long distances.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Addendum to my M340i impressions above:
    "In SPORT and SPORT+ modes, which can be activated via the Driving Experience Control switch, the valve-controlled exhaust system generates a particularly distinctive sound."
    This feature works EXACTLY as I would have specified.
    Just enough sound to notice, when driven normally.
    Just enough added 'distinctive sound' when I want.
    - Ray
    Had an aftermarket exhaust on my 2007 'Vette . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    @rayainsw - Really love the M340 and really love your build. Looking forward to your official punch!

In other news, this popped up on CL...
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/federal-way-bmw-330xi/7057335965.html

Missing a lot of information around maintenance, but not a bad deal if you want the Sport Pack on an E90 and avoid the issues with the turbo.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    stickguy said:

I would not mind a 2 door, manual, T top hardtop of older vintage, as my spare “fun” car. But not for something I drove a lot or long distances.

My best friend has a 2 Door Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock with a 6-SPEED stick. He bought it because he got sick and tired of dumping money into the 1990 Z28 Camaro he bought. It also helped that his friend & business partner had this Wrangler that he wanted to part ways with. His business partner was willing to sell him the Wrangler for what he got for the Z28 Camaro. So he got it for an excellent price.

By best friend's daily driver is a 2017 GMC Sierraa 1500 Denali. He LOVES his truck for long trips. He LOVES how much stuff for work (he owns a few restaurants) it holds, but it is BIG. He has gotten use to the Jeep and it's simplicity. He drives the Wrangler a lot more than he thought he would. So much so that it is helping him stay within his lease miles.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

an older guy in my neighborhood has a nice simple wrangler that he seems to use every day (I assume driving to work). Black 2 door, not sure the vintage but after they went back to round lights. I would say a couple generations ago, maybe 2000-2005? But that is a manual. I like it.

@rayainsw - Really love the M340 and really love your build. Looking forward to your official punch!

Missing a lot of information around maintenance, but not a bad deal if you want the Sport Pack on an E90 and avoid the issues with the turbo.

Damn. Awesome find, IMHO.

qbrozen said:

Damn. Awesome find, IMHO.
    I’m tempted. Sorely tempted. I’d be more tempted if it was RWD.

@roadburner - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SP on the AWD E90s doesn't include sport suspension.
    I believe that is correct - it is an appearance package vs. sport suspension.
    the seats are far far more important, though.

Apparently the cooling system was overhauled for the E90 vs. the E46, so that is less of a concern. Still potential for valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket leaks.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    kyfdx said:

People see them and think "cool SUV". Nope, still a Wrangler. I couldn't live with one, I don't think.

Lots of people buy them and discover the same thing. That's why there are usually plenty of them on used car lots.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

like that 330. If it was on this coast I would be tempted to take it in to become my next car. In 2 years. But gotta plan ahead.

RWD would make it very hard to resist. Tan interior would be an added bonus.

Not a fan of the grilles, that year.. but, that is a really sweet engine. We had the same engine in our '08 X3 and '11 Z4. Maybe the peak of NA BMW six cylinders. (non-M). One year only in the 3-series

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Apparently the cooling system was overhauled for the E90 vs. the E46, so that is less of a concern. Still potential for valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket leaks.

Valve cover gasket work is cheap. Oil pan... not so much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    That is a nice 330.

This seemed promising at first. The colors are nice, mileage even better, and some maintenance done with more that would have to be verified. But then there's that little problem with the title. Not crazy about the exhaust mod either.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ligonier-2004-e46-bmw-330i-zhp/7054228161.html
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    ok, that ZHP is the right colors!

pensfan83 said:

That is a nice 330.

This seemed promising at first. The colors are nice, mileage even better, and some maintenance done with more that would have to be verified. But then there's that little problem with the title. Not crazy about the exhaust mod either.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ligonier-2004-e46-bmw-330i-zhp/7054228161.html

Salvage title
    coil overs (why? lowered? tracked?)
    Aftermarket wheels (and, not a good look, I don't think)
    I must be old... I don't get the exhaust thing, either.

I think that's a $5K-$6K car... I wouldn't trust the mileage with a salvage title, either.

Pretty color combo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

pensfan83 said:

That is a nice 330.

That is ridiculous $$$ with a Salvage title. Maybe at $3k...
    ab348 said:

kyfdx said:

Lots of people buy them and discover the same thing. That's why there are usually plenty of them on used car lots.
    Yet they get huge money. Go figure.