Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited January 2020
    nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

One of the Ubers I took to a wine bar last night was a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with a stick shift. You never forget you're in a truck. The stiff ride of my Tahoe Z71, but a hundred times worse, and extremely noisy. The engine (I think they had the Pentastar by then) seemed to provide good torque. In that price range, I think I'd buy a 4Runner or Tacoma instead.

Who thinks it is a good idea to have a 6 speed Wrangler as an uber?
    The guy who has a $600/mo payment on a 2014 Jeep Wrangler.

Dang it, there are people here who are as clever as me but are a bit quicker.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,538
    qbrozen said:

pensfan83 said:

That is a nice 330.

This seemed promising at first. The colors are nice, mileage even better, and some maintenance done with more that would have to be verified. But then there's that little problem with the title. Not crazy about the exhaust mod either.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/ligonier-2004-e46-bmw-330i-zhp/7054228161.html

“The salvage title is due to a front end collision by a previous owner which required the front bumper support bar to be replaced.”

I love that story. Now, tell it again but try to keep a straight face this time.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    qbrozen said:

Yet they get huge money. Go figure.

I was about to mention the same thing.
    qbrozen said:

I love that story. Now, tell it again but try to keep a straight face this time.

What do you bet the radiator support (structural) got tweaked, too? I've been watching some Snapchat stories and YouTube videos from BlueCollarKyle, a collision repair technician, and it's crazy how many spot welds are involved in replacing a radiator support. Some hacks (not him, usually guys who are rebuilding salvage vehicles to resell) will try to bend them back into shape, even though I don't think any OEM considers that acceptable.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    corvette said:

Missing a lot of information around maintenance, but not a bad deal if you want the Sport Pack on an E90 and avoid the issues with the turbo.

@roadburner - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SP on the AWD E90s doesn't include sport suspension.
    Yep.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

If you buy a Wrangler and don't realize what you are getting then you are beyond moronic.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Inquired on that 330xi. No maintenance history and very short ownership. Pass.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

If you buy a Wrangler and don't realize what you are getting then you are beyond moronic.

I think I could live with it as a snow/off-road vehicle, if my G37 were my daily driver. But there are much more practical choices for myself and 99% of people who want a 4wd vehicle. I wasn't expecting it to ride like a Land Cruiser, but it was still more agricultural than I imagined. I can see how a lot of people have buyers' remorse after not giving them a thorough test drive.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Talking about Jeeps. We just landed in St Thomas and rented a Jeep Wrangler 4 door with friends to drive around St
    John.. What a horrible riding vehicle. At least it’s narrow for these roads........Left hand drive, but driving on the “wrong” side. Pretty scary. Especially since we arrived on the dark!!!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698

Any reason given for the short ownership period?

It is indeed a nice find - I was close to getting that configuration myself back then, but then ended up with my 2007 530xi instead.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

It is indeed a nice find - I was close to getting that configuration myself back then, but then ended up with my 2007 530xi instead.
    Back issues. The short ownership doesn’t bug me, but the lack of maintenance pedigree does.

breld said:

Back issues. The short ownership doesn’t bug me, but the lack of maintenance pedigree does.
    That's how I got the cheap lease on the i3; the service manager's back went out and he couldn't put the car seats in the back. I assumed the lease and he got a 5er IIRC.

Went to the Louisville auto show this afternoon with my dad. Free tickets complements of Chevrolet (apparently, I'm a Chevy Truck Legend because I have a Chevy truck with over 100k on it). Decent crowd, lots of entertainment for kids (and it seemed like this kept a lot of them away from the new cars).

Subaru seems to have a solid lineup. They had an Outback XT Onyx on the floor, and I really liked the medium green color, as well as the neoprene (I think?) fabric on the seats. There was also a Forester in what appeared to be the same color.

Kia was absent, but I got to see the Hyundai Palisade. Very nice inside and out, although the reviews I saw put the 0-60 time in the high 7 second range--I think most competitors are in the low 7s.

The new Supra looked pretty neat, but was locked, so couldn't really see inside.

Most of the VWs had V-tex vinyl upholstery, but no appreciable price discount from competitors with actual leather. They did have a preproduction Atlas Cross Sport on the floor, which was locked.

The bargain amongst the full size trucks on the floor was a Tundra Platinum crew cab, which had a sticker of $53k and was equipped with leather seats, LED lights, etc. Most of the domestics with this level of equipment had other stuff bundled and were in the $60k-plus range. Didn't see a single Silverado with the four-banger. There was a modestly equipped Ram with 4wd and a Hemi in the low $40s, which was nice to see.

I noticed that Honda's stubborn refusal to provide hood struts now necessitates a warning sticker on the CR-V instructing you to only grab the hood prop rod by the insulated foam handle towards the top because it may be hot (I assume due to the cooling for the turbocharged engine). What a weird hill for them to die on... I think it's time they find somewhere else to cut costs.

I recounted my experience as a passenger in a Wrangler and my dad reminded me that one of our friends bought a Wrangler to replace an aging Yukon Denali, and then quickly dumped it for a Camry, which lends credence to the idea that a lot of people buy Wranglers without realizing what they're getting!
    Just perused a local dealer's inventory, since I'm curious about the 2.7 liter four banger in the new Silverado. When it was introduced, the take rate was predicted to be high enough that it would be the most common engine. This does not appear to have panned out. 11 out of 49 2020 Silverados in inventory have the 2.7 liter. The 5.3 liter V8 is still the most common engine. One has the 6.2 liter, there are a handful of 3.0 liter diesels, and several of the base work trucks have the 4.3 liter V6.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited January 2020
    corvette said:

Just perused a local dealer's inventory, since I'm curious about the 2.7 liter four banger in the new Silverado. When it was introduced, the take rate was predicted to be high enough that it would be the most common engine. This does not appear to have panned out. 11 out of 49 2020 Silverados in inventory have the 2.7 liter. The 5.3 liter V8 is still the most common engine. One has the 6.2 liter, there are a handful of 3.0 liter diesels, and several of the base work trucks have the 4.3 liter V6.

couldn't that mean they sold more of the 2.7 already?

But, I disagree with expecting the 4-cyl to have a high take rate. Most pickup truck buyers have a mental block against anything other than a v8, no matter what the power numbers say.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited January 2020
    qbrozen said:

couldn't that mean they sold more of the 2.7 already?

But, I disagree with expecting the 4-cyl to have a high take rate. Most pickup truck buyers have a mental block against anything other than a v8, no matter what the power numbers say.

Perhaps... Ford seems to do really well with the EcoBoost V6 engines, though. Weirdly, the performance numbers on the 2.7l, 3.5l, and 5.0l engines in the F-150 are similar, so I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've only driven the 2.7l F-150 and felt like it had plenty of power.

The problem I have with GM's engine is that it doesn't produce as much oomph as Ford's 2.7l Ecoboost.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Everyone I've met who has actually driven the Ecoboost F150 cannot praise them enough. One of my employee's parents bought a Platinum a few years ago, and she said her father was dead set on a V8. The sales guy finally talked him into doing a test drive in the 3.5L Ecoboost by the time they had finished the V8 test drive, and he ended up driving that truck (the Ecoboost) home.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

Everyone I've met who has actually driven the Ecoboost F150 cannot praise them enough. One of my employee's parents bought a Platinum a few years ago, and she said her father was dead set on a V8. The sales guy finally talked him into doing a test drive in the 3.5L Ecoboost by the time they had finished the V8 test drive, and he ended up driving that truck (the Ecoboost) home.

The F150 EgoBoost drivers in my area want to race everybody, it seems- or at least pass you again on the interstate after you passed them.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    RB, just read the latest Car and Driver issue (catching up on my magazine pile) and they had a road test of the Stinger GTS in it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @corvette....thanks for the car show report. I was actually thinking about attending, but had a guest drop by.

Interestingly, given I’ve spent quite a bit of time in the local Kia dealership and got an up close look at the Telluride. I was impressed....pretty luxurious inside and I like the outside styling.

It still amazes me how/why someone would drop $60K+ on a pickup. I’d be afraid to haul anything in one. Plus, pickups don’t handle very well compared to their car counterparts, and most aren’t particularly quick! Don’t understand the allure of the super expensive pickups.

I know Cincinnati’s car show is in early Feb. It’s shrunk every year over the past few years. Hope it doesn’t shrink any more than it already has.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

@corvette....thanks for the car show report. I was actually thinking about attending, but had a guest drop by.

Interestingly, given I’ve spent quite a bit of time in the local Kia dealership and got an up close look at the Telluride. I was impressed....pretty luxurious inside and I like the outside styling.

It still amazes me how/why someone would drop $60K+ on a pickup. I’d be afraid to haul anything in one. Plus, pickups don’t handle very well compared to their car counterparts, and most aren’t particularly quick! Don’t understand the allure of the super expensive pickups.

I know Cincinnati’s car show is in early Feb. It’s shrunk every year over the past few years. Hope it doesn’t shrink any more than it already has.

I don't hold out a lot of hope..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,112
    I was looking at the floor plan for the Denver Auto Show in April - looks like both Infiniti and MB are skipping it, this year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I've never understood locking mass produced vehicles. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow as many people as possible to peruse them?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Michaell said:

I was looking at the floor plan for the Denver Auto Show in April - looks like both Infiniti and MB are skipping it, this year.

if Philly didn't have Infiniti this year, not sure I would even notice!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Vancouver Auto Show is in about 2 months, already planning on going - always more interesting than the Seattle show, probably because there will be oddball non-US market cars, and it is an excuse to get away for a day or two. There, generally only exotics are locked - I've sat in numerous AMG/M/S cars there. Different society, perhaps. Last year MB was a no-show, which surprised me, as I remember back in the 90s I believe some of the highest per capita S-class sales were in Vancouver. They probably don't need to advertise there.
    I’ve never thought up running up the Vancouver auto show. It would be easy.
    in philly, they lock the exotics (actually have them behind fencing, and you have to get "approved" to even get in with them). Porsche is out on the floor, but other than a couple base models (like a Boxster or Mecan) those are locked too. I think everything else is open. Unless it is a pre-production car that they keep roped off or up on a display.

I'd expect a car to be a gutted shell in Philly within a couple hours B) . I think things like shift knobs are still removed before the show, as jerks are everywhere.

I think back in the day, the Vancouver show was bigger than Seattle, but more recent events might be closer. It used to be at BC Place, and was an easy day trip due to ample free parking (provided you arrived early) and quick access. Now it is at the waterfront Convention Center, so parking is like a mortgage payment and there can be traffic. I try to make it a getaway and stay within walking distance or take Skytrain.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    The Charlotte Auto Show has shrunk as well. Porsche always has their cars locked. For years Mazda removes the manual shift knob and any audio or other like knobs. Hardly anyone was looking at sedans of any sort. It was all about CUVs, SUVs, and trucks. Sad.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited January 2020
    Subaru removed radio knobs at our show. That was the only thing I noticed.

Surprisingly, Acura was there. No Infiniti or Lexus. Buick only brought SUVs, although I think their sedans live on for the 2020 model year.
    yeah, easily removed items like shift knobs are usually removed. Some people are jerks and will steal anything they can get off.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited January 2020
    Looks like real vehicles aren't worth promoting any more. People acquiring transportation these days appear to be more interested in electronics, comfort and possibly the color scheme, and the manufacturers are giving them that. Plus which, the internet supplies all the information that this new breed of driver wants -- no need to see or touch in person. Then there's the reputation the auto industry has earned in terms of one-on-one interaction -- many people would prefer going to the dentist. For the majority, self-driving vehicles can't come soon enough.

It's interesting to watch, much like slow motion replays of slick-road car wrecks, but nothing I'm interested in participating in. The auto industry hasn't been willing to deliver anything I'm at all enthusiastic about in the U.S. for over 15 years -- high-quality simple cars (not SUVs) with a manual transmission, solid suspension and connected steering. There are dozens of cars I'd buy tomorrow in Europe, but not here -- CARB and the EPA are part of the problem.

Yeah, I know -- OK boomer.

I'll be dead soon enough, but the cars I like have preceded me by a couple of decades.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    unfortunately the market place speaks and manufacturers listen (though sometimes they lead the market where they want it to go), But if more people really spoke with their wallets and bought what you want, when they could, they would still be made.

must be something left that qualifies. Get a Hyundai Elantra sport 6 speed. That is pretty close in size even to your TSX. Sharp handling and steering, relatively simple, but plenty of modern features without being a rolling iPad. definitely a drivers oriented car.

Jetta would qualify too. Certainly a GLI. Get one while you can.

Maybe an A3, if they still come with a stick. Or do you have to go to a S model Audi now to row your own?

Anyway, there are still some good options out there if you really want to get a new car to last you a while.

edited January 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions. The fact is that the TSX is still working just fine -- 160K on the original clutch and everything else works too. Mostly it's a conversation I have with myself from time to time having to do with what would I do if it were totalled out and I had to buy something more-or-less immediately.

Your post would be helpful in the hopefully unlikely event that I'll need it,
    Most drivers don't really like cars and don't really like driving. This isn't something new, that mindset was likely the majority of motorists 50 years ago. For most, driving is a chore, and replacing a car is like replacing a refrigerator. The market gives them what they want, and those who want different are likely not large enough a demographic to warrant a real effort to cater to them. People complained about boring cars decades ago, just as oldsters complained about the young decades ago. Some things never change ;)

I like a comfortable car with modern tech, I like a good color combo, and in the hilly gridlock where I live, I have no desire for a manual. The local driving talent pool has also caused me to effectively give up on motorcycling (I will keep my endorsement active, but my desire has rapidly evaporated in terms of wanting to ride on public roads here). However, I also want a powerful refined engine, I want good styling, and high build quality. For the idea of cars I like preceding me by a couple decades, just look at my old car and most of the the domestic cars I like. I think one can embrace modern cars and still appreciate the past.
    I am in the middle. I want a car where you still have an engaging driving experience. with modern tech and safety/convenience features. But not a rolling computer control center. Keep the buttons and simple controls. minimize the active stuff. But give me passive 2nd opinions. and while I want something relatively fun to drive, I also want super comfy seats, and a good ride for the majority of the time when either stuck in traffic or just on a long highway slog. and hold the super skinny sidewall tires.

and fine with a hatch/wagon/cuv that sits a little higher, for better visibility, easier egress, and cargo flexibility. and not overly long, and not too wide either (cars, especially CUVs, seem to be getting wider and wider, making it a royal pain to get into the garage without nicking a mirror).

the trick to me is to add the goodies and features, while keeping it simple to operate intuitively. Too many new models just got overly complex to use. RDX, new Outback, Volvo, BMW at times, all have had some issues with the tech (or at least interface) getting out of hand.

one of the reasons we (especially the wife) really liked the Santa Fe. It was easy to understand and use.

Bear in mind that I've ridden 150-160 cc Honda motorcycles up to 550 miles in a day (back and forth between Tempe, AZ, and Santa Rosa, NM [a real showplace] three times). My roommate's MGB was a huge step up from the Honda 350 I was riding at the time.

It's all relative. I'm a cheap date, as far as transportation is concerned.
    Resetting the clock on my wife's Forester is a real trip. I eventually figured out how to do it, but she hasn't a clue.
    I do remember last year the news had a story on people swiping things from cars at the auto show, all the way down to the valve stem covers. This year all the major players look like they'll be there and since we'll be having a purchase we'll spend an afternoon browsing. It's looking less and less like the new TLX will be out and the only other offering Acura has that's interesting is the RDX, which didn't lease all that well last I checked.
    I can't recall when I last set a car clock - fintail's clock probably stopped working before I was born, the modern cars have clocks linked to the GPS, they do it automatically.

I drove the old car with no cruise, no AC, no power adjustments, etc for years. I still love driving it, but it's also nice to have luxuries in bad weather or on long trips.
    stickguy said:

Maybe an A3, if they still come with a stick. Or do you have to go to a S model Audi now to row your own?.

Unfortunately, even the S models aren’t available in a stick. In fact, I don’t think there’s a single Audi available with a stick anymore.

breld said:

stickguy said:

Maybe an A3, if they still come with a stick. Or do you have to go to a S model Audi now to row your own?.

Unfortunately, even the S models aren’t available in a stick. In fact, I don’t think there’s a single Audi available with a stick anymore.
    Correct.
    that is just terrible. I guess that leaves the GLI, Elantra, Mazda 3, and not much else for large compact to small mid-sized sedans with a manual and some fun to drive quotient. Unless I am forgetting something. WRX is probably too rough and sporty to count.

I guess you can go with a Civic Si too. But that leans a bit more toward the sports category too.

Mazda3 perhaps? Does that still have a stick?
    Clock setting? Are we supposed to spring back or fall forward this weekend?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I hear their manuals had trouble with clutches. Right, @driver100?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited January 2020
    I guess part of my point was that there was a time when I was driving a perfectly acceptable car, but something new on the market was enough better that I wanted to change. Those days have been gone for a long time for me.
    Yeah, I think the last audi to offer a manual was the 2018 A4 and A5. The current gen S versions never offered them...same with the current TT.

It’s unfortunate, but hard to blame them...they’re certainly not alone in making that decision.

Mazda3 is available with a stick in one configuration - the top trim FWD hatch.

edited January 2020
    so that leaves GLI Elantra as closest comparables to replace a 2nd generation TSX. Accord sport and I assume Mazda 6 still if you want to go bigger.