Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

Resetting the clock on my wife's Forester is a real trip. I eventually figured out how to do it, but she hasn't a clue.

I remember that nightmare well.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    After learning how much it costs to replace a clutch, $3200 on breld’s VW, as much as I like driving a manual transmission, I think I will stick (pun intended) with an automatic. If they fail within the warranty period and unless not maintaining it per service requirements, any repair ‘should’ be a non-event.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited January 2020

A nice looking E90 - photo was supposedly taken in the UK, so it's probably something like a 316i or 320i with big wheels and a lowered suspension. As the graffiti requested, I did reblog it. :p
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    fintail said:

Most drivers don't really like cars and don't really like driving. This isn't something new, that mindset was likely the majority of motorists 50 years ago. For most, driving is a chore, and replacing a car is like replacing a refrigerator. The market gives them what they want, and those who want different are likely not large enough a demographic to warrant a real effort to cater to them. People complained about boring cars decades ago, just as oldsters complained about the young decades ago. Some things never change ;)

I like a comfortable car with modern tech, I like a good color combo, and in the hilly gridlock where I live, I have no desire for a manual. The local driving talent pool has also caused me to effectively give up on motorcycling (I will keep my endorsement active, but my desire has rapidly evaporated in terms of wanting to ride on public roads here). However, I also want a powerful refined engine, I want good styling, and high build quality. For the idea of cars I like preceding me by a couple decades, just look at my old car and most of the the domestic cars I like. I think one can embrace modern cars and still appreciate the past.

I think you make a good point about the plethora of bad drivers making people not want to operate a car. I’ve seen it get worse and worse as tech absorbs more and more attention.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    I might feel differently if it were a pickup with little weight on the rear wheels, but I leave the Tahoe in 2WD mode. I figure if I start sliding around, it’s time to turn on 4WD and think about getting home ASAP.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The couple of times I had the Tacoma in 4WD, it was a bear to drive. I think I'd have to get stuck or be on a gravel/dirt snow covered road to use it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited January 2020
    Well...it snowed a bit in the OH Valley/N KY area, but nothing stuck to the roads. I know it’s supposed to be on the sporty end of cars, but took the Stinger downtown Cincinnati for dinner Saturday night. The heated seats and steering wheel were quite nice and worked well. Didn’t use the cruise much on the highway, but tried it out with the driving nannies all turned on. It does lane centering well and the cruise control wasn’t as “jerky” as some I’ve driven while encountering traffic.

While, at first she made fun of me for buying a KIA (“a Kia is the last car I thought you would have bought”), she turned into a fan of it by the time we returned from the evening’s outing.

Got to get some new wipers for the TLX. Was going to just go to NAPA. But, I’m doing more and more shopping on line. May just order some OEM wipers from Amazon, as they’ve held up remarkably well.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    As I understand it, in Korea the Stinger gets an "E" badge rather than a Kia badge. There's a store that sells a complete kit to replace the hood, wheel, and airbag badges. On the GTS the rear Kia badge is replaced by the Stinger nameplate, which I think is done on all the KDM cars.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    The wipers on my tlx still work like new. With any luck I’ll get the full lease term out of them! Otherwise likely will just get the rubber inserts. Usually about $20 a set at the dealer. And you keep the original arms

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

As I understand it, in Korea the Stinger gets an "E" badge rather than a Kia badge. There's a store that sells a complete kit to replace the hood, wheel, and airbag badges. On the GTS the rear Kia badge is replaced by the Stinger nameplate, which I think is done on all the KDM cars.

I saw that. The "E" badge looks better than the "KIA" badge. But, it doesn't matter enough to me to swap them. I have no issues with having the KIA badge. I really do like the "Stinger" script across the center back hatch better than just a small script on the lower left.

The "tracking" LED headlights work well, too.

Infotainment screens are quick. The UVO/Kia Access (Kia's UI), that allows the car to interface with your phone, is really good. The entire owners manual can be accessed on line, and it tracks your car's "health" and mileage (much like Cadillac's phone app, which is also good).

So far, after 3 weeks, I don't know what other options you could put on the Stinger. Used the "smart" hatch finally. You stand behind it for a couple of seconds, the lights flash and the hatch opens, without touching the key fob, nor the car. It has power close, too. Never have had this level of features on any car I've owned. Some (like the smart hatch and tracking headlights) are quite useful. Others are just plain frivolous.
    stickguy said:

The wipers on my tlx still work like new. With any luck I’ll get the full lease term out of them! Otherwise likely will just get the rubber inserts. Usually about $20 a set at the dealer. And you keep the original arms

I'm just getting the inserts, too. I'm being a bit proactive. The current inserts are working fine. With winter here, I'll be asking the wipers to work on slush, sleet, etc...not just rain. 3 winters are about all I can expect out of them. Matter of fact, my current wipers have lasted longer than any I've had on ANY car in the past.

Well...it snowed a bit in the OH Valley/N KY area, but nothing stuck to the roads. I know it’s supposed to be on the sporty end of cars, but took the Stinger downtown Cincinnati for dinner Saturday night. The heated seats and steering wheel were quite nice and worked well. Didn’t use the cruise much on the highway, but tried it out with the driving nannies all turned on. It does lane centering well and the cruise control wasn’t as “jerky” as some I’ve driven while encountering traffic.

While, at first she made fun of my for buying a KIA (“a Kia is the last car I thought you would have bought”), she turned into a fan of it by the time we returned from the evening’s outing.

Got to get some new wipers for the TLX. Was going to just go to NAPA. But, I’m doing more and more shopping on line. May just order some OEM wipers from Amazon, as they’ve held up remarkably well.

I just go to Advanced Auto Parts, and let the girl put them on for me... ;)

I really like Bosch ICON wiper blades.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    What's the record # of Punches Per Month here? More than two !? ;) I once bought two new VW TDIs during the same month, an 06 beetle and 06 jetta. Many times I have bought 2 cars within a couple months as I rotate the fleet.

What's the record # of Punches Per Month here? More than two !? ;) I once bought two new VW TDIs during the same month, an 06 beetle and 06 jetta. Many times I have bought 2 cars within a couple months as I rotate the fleet.

September
    Leased 2011 BMW Z4
    Bought 1987 BMW 325iS
    October
    Flipped Z4 lease to a friend
    Leased 2011 Infiniti G37X

And, I'm just a piker... I'm sure that @breld has done all that in a week! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I've commented on this before about how much I like my truck. I feel as if I'm definitely getting good use out of it. I think I'm going to have to go out to dinner with @stickguy and his wife to see how to sweet talk coerce convince my wife into letting me lease another truck when my lease is up. When my Tacoma lease is up, her Pilot will be about a year away from being paid off. Maybe we can lease her a car and keep the Pilot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    kyfdx said:

While, at first she made fun of my for buying a KIA (“a Kia is the last car I thought you would have bought”), she turned into a fan of it by the time we returned from the evening’s outing.

I just go to Advanced Auto Parts, and let the girl put them on for me... ;)

Oddly enough, Subaru covers wiper blades (along with clutch linings and brake pad/shoe linings) for 3 years.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

I would have to consult my spreadsheet, but don’t believe I ever did more than 2 in a month. But 2 close together or same time I have done several times.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

nyccarguy said:

I've commented on this before about how much I like my truck. I feel as if I'm definitely getting good use out of it. I think I'm going to have to go out to dinner with @stickguy and his wife to see how to sweet talk coerce convince my wife into letting me lease another truck when my lease is up. When my Tacoma lease is up, her Pilot will be about a year away from being paid off. Maybe we can lease her a car and keep the Pilot.

Meet at the hotel for pizza!

Someone outside my neighborhood recently replaced a strippo canyon with a gray ranger. The cab and a half on both. Every time we drive by, I point out how I think it looks nice. Her answer is, “we don’t need a truck”. Considering I don’t own a plumbing business, and my daughters BF has a Silverado (and owes me for all the work on his house) we really don’t.

After she has a new car that we will always take when together maybe. I can get anything then, as long as she never has to ride in it! Though can’t imagine why being a passenger in something like a ranger when running errands would bother her.

I owned a Nissan PU in 1990. She seemed fine with it then.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    OEM wiper blades every time for me now. Any aftermarket blade I've ever bought has either worked lousy, looked awful on the car, or both. OEM costs little more in my experience.

My dealer had a deal going for a year or two where they would, without asking, install a free pair of blades when you left the car there for its regular service, using AC Delco brand replacements which are a standard universal fit blade that looks terrible. The first time they did that I immediately protested and they gave me my OEM take-offs which were only a year old. The next time they just left the AC blades in the package and put them in the trunk. So I had 2 brand new sets of the things that I would never use sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Last summer one Saturday I was doing something in the driveway and noticed my neighbor across the street fussing with his wipers. I wandered over and discovered that they were literally falling apart and ancient, maybe original to his car. The car is his late mom's Acura EL, a tarted-up Civic sedan sold in Canada from the late '90s. He was about to leave on a visit to some friends a couple of hundred miles away and was running late when he discovered his wipers were toast. I eyeballed them and they were 2 different sizes that looked similar to the ATS sizes. So I got a set of the Delcos from the garage, and matched them up. They were an inch longer on each side but that made no difference in how they fit and worked so I installed them - the hardest part was getting his old ones off the wiper arms as they were frozen on with corrosion. He was thrilled and wanted to compensate me but I was just glad to put them to some use, and he doesn't have a lot of spare cash anyway. My good deed for the day.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348 ...you could have charged him the going rate dealerships charge. ;)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    So, we were out with the little one yesterday taking him to one of our local museums. Out of nowhere he goes "Daddy, where is Saabi?" When my wife asked what he was talking about he clarified that he wanted to know where "the fast car" was. Reminded him that it went to live with someone else, which went over like a lead balloon...

Kids.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    @qbrozen- have you had your ACL reconstruction yet?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen- have you had your ACL reconstruction yet?

Just got home about 90 mins ago. Very delirious will report more tomorro. Thanks for asking

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hope your recovery goes well!

While, at first she made fun of me for buying a KIA (“a Kia is the last car I thought you would have bought”), she turned into a fan of it by the time we returned from the evening’s outing.

Don’t be intimidated by the nameplate snobs. Kias are becoming perfectly acceptable cars.

My BIL borrowed my Soul over the weekend and was actually impressed.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I bought 3 cars in Oct. 2916. One for me, one for my son and one for my niece.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    edited January 2020
    I went to the New England International Auto Show Friday. So disappointing, smaller every year. Part of the convention center floor was simply blocked by portable partitions to negate open (read: carless) space.
    Temperature in the teens, made me think of cold weather drawing down electric cars' range. And made the walk from South Station less fun. Really nothing surprising or delightful; thumbnails of what made some kind of impression:

C8 Vette: Roped off, but probably the biggest crowd in all of the hall. Looks better in person than pix, but does remind me of a "Rambo'd" Acura NSX. Met a gentleman that has one on order, he is dying of anticipation, big smile on his face.

Stinger: Interior is much nicer in the flesh than it appears (to me, at least) in pix. Parked right next to an Optima, which was probably unfortunate as it seemed much of the less informed didn't realize the differences under the skin. But, those that were checking it out seemed impressed, especially given the price. Tempting...

Genesis: The new G90 grille is monstrous, please, please end this trend. But, at least it's not as ridiculously "Cylon" helmet-like as the Lexus maw. G70 really seems a nice piece of work; handsome, without really standing out. Like the Stinger, nice interior. Also, tempting..

Mazda: I liked the CX-30, raised and butched up-ish 3. If I was considering, I'd likely choose it over a 3 hatch, more utility, better visibility and utility. All Mazdas quite handsome with very nice interiors. Drove the GFs CX-5 to CT and back yesterday, it grows on me. Interior, handling, but sometimes lethargic power would bother me. And, no heated steering wheel, egads! Not to mention she has one, as does my dad (albeit in LA); I just can't...

Exotics: Aston Martin DBX quite good looking, for an SUV (no offense). All Astons inspire a level of lust. I like the Lambo Urus, too. New Bentely Continental, while large, looks "sleek." McClarens, Lambo, Maserati....you know. All roped off.

Alfa: A Giulia and a Stelvio (2019); and the pretteiest spokesmodel, a black haired beauty with big dark eyes (may be the same woman from last year?). She dug me, I could tell. Go ahead, prove me wrong... The Giulia still draws me, but given C&D's experience, the folks here and the fact my local dealer disappeared, I shall try to resist the allure of the lovely Italian. Much like the Alfa woman did with me...

Lexus LC: Just beautiful, inside and out (perhaps except for the grille, of course). Black LC500, open to the public with full power. Marred by the horrendous Lexus info system using the touchpad. Distracting and difficult to use, even while just sitting in it. I'm sure the redundant steering wheel controls somewhat mitigate the beast, but just a dreadful design. Form over function?

Mustang Mach E: Good looking, but not much info. Not roped off. but locked.

Hyundai: No SWAG! The new Sonata's quite the looker. But, no game changer; Hyundai seems to just have a solid lineup.

VW Arteon: Great looking, nice interior, mostly being ignored. People were commenting on the price...."for a "VW?"

GMC, Buick, FCA: They were there.

Subaru: For me the highlight was the doggie adoption area; made friends with a mutt from Arkansas, got a bit sad I couldn't take him home. I so hope someone does. Even though I'm a lifelong New Englander, Subaru's nver really lit my fire; perhaps because we were a SAAB family?

Caddy CT5 sedan: Oh, no. Does not look better in person than in pix. Inelegant exterior, not upscale. Who the heck green lit this? The Aztek dude? Maybe it's just me, but it didn't seem to be drawing any interest. Nor the CT4, which is light year's more aesthetically pleasing, although a bit busy around the rear (in profile). I don't remember seeing a CT6, perhaps as it's done?

No: Audi, BMW, Jag, MB, Porsche. Unless there's a sea change for the local show, perhaps I save my $$$ and Amtrak it to Penn Station and head to the Javits in April from now on?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

mjfloyd1 said:

+1

The Caddy CT5 is not wowing anyone so far. The CT4 is an updated ATS and is doing slightly better than the CT5 but that’s not saying much. My ATS is probably my last Cadillac sedan. Sad.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    ab348 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

+1
    +1 for me too.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I’m out of town - just landed in Orlando for a conference, but my wife picked up her Alltrack today and all is well as far as the trannie, for now.

But apparently it still stinks to high heaven from the burnt...uh...rubber? I don’t even know what burned up.

Anyhow, @michaell suggested using an ionizer and thought someone here had experience. Any thoughts?

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Made a real rookie mistake on Friday, never ever had this happen before. Took a 2019 Rav4 up to a Toyota store in Vero Beach. Since we were leaving it there, did my usual routine. Attatch the keys to my personal key chain, it had push button start, got my screwdriver out to remove the plate, got back in to put my driver back into my backpack and handed the keys to my lead. Only problem...I never gave them to him. Went out to Okeechobee next and then back to Palm Beach International. Was sent to a location on Northlake Blvd. and by this time, it was just about 5. Seems like we were having company from D.C., so the roads around PBI were ridiculously crowded. Got to the Northlake store, and noticed I had not one set of keys on my pants keyholder holder, I had two!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Now, I'm a very meticulous driver, never late and pride myself on being pretty level headed. Felt the 2nd set of keys, looked down...and saw the Toyota emblem on the set of car keys. Now, panic sets in! I had no idea what I took where! After a few minutes, I figured it out and came out. A few folks asked me what was wrong as the said I was white as a ghost. Made some excuse as I wanted to be left alone. Lead comes over and gives me my keys before I could spill my guts.
    During tis time, my oldest kept calling. I finally answered and told her I f'ed up. She was smart, told me if you didn't have an accident or get a ticket, it's no big deal! And looking back, she was right.
    Saturday morning, got up and left home about 7:15, got into Vero Beach about 9:15 after eating some breakfast. Went in, spoke with the head of the used car department. They were super cool, said, "[non-permissible content removed] happens" and that was that. They had no clue they were missing one set of keys!! We had brought up eight vehicles.
    Felt so dumb, a real rookie mistake, but all worked out. Will probably own up to it in the morning, but I know one thing, this will never ever happen again to me!!!

(P.S. The Rav4 drove really nice! A little bit too big for my needs but if it were the same size as my Golf, it could work.)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@breld-Insert Trannie joke here.

I really wish they didn’t call the Mustang Mach E a “Mustang “
    Heard back from the local VW store. They have a few 2020 Golf's coming in with sunroofs, but not sure about the Beats audio. Said there was to be just one model for the regular 2020 Golf which didn't thrill me. Without the better audio system, doubt I'd want one but , will see. They do have a blue one in this order, so we've got the correct color. But without the Beats system, doubt I'd do it. Not sure I want to go aftermarket on my next audio system, as I want the longer VW warranty. But, will give it a try and go from there. Got a feeling the Stolis/Venue cousins might just be a bit under powered for me. Am not going to settle this time around! Or just wait till later in the model year and go that route. Betting if they have a customer with certain specifics, they might be able to trade with some dealer at the port.
    I still want a small vehicle, hopefully with a turbo engine, with the top audio system plus the sun/moon roof. A cloth interior is o k by me but not all black. Am amazed at the small amount of miles I've put on since the beginning of December. Besides that dumb Vero Beach excursion on Saturday, I'm hardly putting any miles on at all. Thrilled with that but a bit antsy for something newer but, my Golf is behaving nicely. Will need an oil change/rotation within a couple of months, but that's it. Still drives nice so swapping for a newer one might just be foolish right now. But, I need to test drive the contenders to see if any of them could do. And if I don't like any of them, I'll just wait since I'm really in no hurry! Won't settle ever again and also, won't do a dumb move again! Too expensive and not logical.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @laurasdada,
    Enjoyed your description of your trip to the auto show.
    Honest and humorous.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Great review @laurasdada! You’ve found your calling. I hear Edmunds is looking for someone to go around to the auto shows and provide color commentary!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    breld said:

I bought 3 cars in Oct. 2916. One for me, one for my son and one for my niece.
    What about the fourth purchase? I assume you had to buy a time machine to get back from 2916. 😀
    What can I say, I’m a man ahead of his time. B).....with clumsy fingers.

Now, I'm a very meticulous driver, never late and pride myself on being pretty level headed. Felt the 2nd set of keys, looked down...and saw the Toyota emblem on the set of car keys. Now, panic sets in! I had no idea what I took where! After a few minutes, I figured it out and came out. A few folks asked me what was wrong as the said I was white as a ghost. Made some excuse as I wanted to be left alone. Lead comes over and gives me my keys before I could spill my guts.
    During tis time, my oldest kept calling. I finally answered and told her I f'ed up. She was smart, told me if you didn't have an accident or get a ticket, it's no big deal! And looking back, she was right.
    Saturday morning, got up and left home about 7:15, got into Vero Beach about 9:15 after eating some breakfast. Went in, spoke with the head of the used car department. They were super cool, said, "[non-permissible content removed] happens" and that was that. They had no clue they were missing one set of keys!! We had brought up eight vehicles.
    Felt so dumb, a real rookie mistake, but all worked out. Will probably own up to it in the morning, but I know one thing, this will never ever happen again to me!!!

(P.S. The Rav4 drove really nice! A little bit too big for my needs but if it were the same size as my Golf, it could work.)

As I said before, there’s no mistake you can make that someone else hasn’t made before.

Say, what did you think of the RAV4 lane management system? I found it violently jerks you back in lane if you even think of going over the line. Very unsettling especially when driving on a snowy road. I found the shut off button real fast.

of the various safety features on my TLX, that one I don't care for. Though when I test drove an X5 a few years ago, that was really aggressive with lane keep. Unnerving. At least on my car, it is pretty mild. It does not bother me enough to turn it off though. The brake warning/assist I think is good to have though. Adaptive cruise though, that is the schnizzle. but at least that only is on when I specifically turn it on. Not really sure how active the lane centering is. I never quite understood why there is lane centering only for when ACC is on, otherwise you just get the little warning rumble.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    edited January 2020
    @laurasdada
    Very good post about the car show. Really liked the reference to Night Moves by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band. :smile:
    She was a black haired beauty with big dark eyes
    And points all her own sitting way up high
    Way up firm and high

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    kyfdx said:

I use the Bosch ICON as well on all my vehicles; they are excellent for year-round use. I tend to replace mine annually, as they tend to get a little beat up after use in the winter. I should probably just keep the old ones and put them on for a couple winters, while doing the same for the new ones so that they last somewhat longer.

I get items like this at RockAuto, and I usually buy three or four years' worth at a time. Yes, yes, this would be a bad move for most of you. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    @oldfarmer50 ...it’s been a long time since I cared about badge snobs (although, to a certain degree, I was once one myself). I drive a Kia. See there, I said it with no remorse.

Now, if I were in a Smart Car or a Fiat 500, I would probably deserve being chastised and made fun of.

@qbrozen ....hope your recovery is swift and painless. Hang in there.

@laurasdada ....funny...I was talking with a colleague yesterday after he inquired about the Stinger, so far. He’s looking to trade his “C Class” in for something else. He is somewhat of a badge snob. He asked if the Stinger had LCD screens for all the gauges and infotainment. I told him that gauges were all analog, but the infotainment was a mix of buttons and LCD. Relayed my experience with the C Class I test drove a month or so ago. I told him his is a fine choice. But, given the price differential and the upgraded interiors of both the “A and CLA Class” he might want to save a few bucks and test drive them. This is where the badge snobbery morphs into model snobbery. He said the A and CLA class were too “low rent” for him (his words, not mine).

His 2017 is a lease. He’s wanting to lease another one. My gut feeling is the 2017 is the same as the 2019 or 2020.

I also told him to look at a 3 Series. He said he’s a BMW bigot.

I left our conversation feeling “glad we had this talk”! LOL!
    The snobbery talk reminds me of a conversation I had with a New Home Builder saleswoman last year.

I was in there looking at their model home and the salesperson commented on my Q7 (and how she liked it). Being who I am, I noticed she had a CX-9 in the lot and complimented her on what a great car that is and I had one previously. She was quick to say that they also had a Cayenne and the CX-9 was their beater car. Well, I continued the conversation to say how my wife drove a Macan....her response was something along the lines of, "Oh, those don't really seem like real Porsches."

Wow.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

That would have immediately made me discredit ANYTHING she said about the homes she was selling.

I would have sought out another salesperson.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    A snobby realtor? Say it aint so. Now there's a racket.
    stickguy said:

I’m the car guy, and will buy anything if I like it. Including back to back Hyundai’s. Yet my wife, who can’t tell one car from another, is the brand snob.

As long as my wife gets to pick the color she couldn’t care less if I bought a Kia or a Cabbage Patch Doll.