Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

stickguy said:

I’m the car guy, and will buy anything if I like it. Including back to back Hyundai’s. Yet my wife, who can’t tell one car from another, is the brand snob.

As long as my wife gets to pick the color she couldn’t care less if I bought a Kia or a Cabbage Patch Doll.
    That's how I conned Mrs. j into getting the replacement Subie last April. I was just an innocent by stander.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    qbrozen ....hope all goes well for you !
    - Ray
    Back in the driver's seat SOON, I hope !
    2022 X3 M40i
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    My wife doesn’t care what I drive(although she confessed that she was glad I didn’t buy the Plum Crazy Challenger SRT I looked at). As for her, she would consider a Jeep product but I don’t think she could be coerced into owning anything else from FCA, Ford, or GM. I do think she’d like a CX-5 or a Clubman as much as the X1, so at least her automotive tastes are fairly consistent with mine.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I never can quite figure out my wife's "style". It is more like a collection of items. Some sort of upscale badge seems to be important (but a Hyundai, Honda or Subaru, maybe, would be OK). But no Ford or Chevy. Preferably an Acura/BMW level badge though.

other than this, it needs buttons for normal controls, not too complicated to understand, reasonably quick (she is used to the hot rod Acura), seat belt that does not come across her neck wrong, stuff like that. It is not a defined niche, more like knowing it when you see it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    My wife won't even try to use our TV remote, but has no issues with the touchscreen on the 3. I think they nailed to UI on that one.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    tifighter said:

My wife won't even try to use our TV remote, but has no issues with the touchscreen on the 3. I think they nailed to UI on that one.

When I see Dual Motor on the back of the Model 3, does that mean anything special?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

AWD. and faster, and more expensive.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    I think they make a Dual Motor RWD Model 3 too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    @qbrozen - how are you getting along?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    tifighter said:

If Apple made a car, right?
    not sure if I posted this one before, but for a relatively "basic" car for a 2nd one, this seems to be getting pretty cheap now, but still relatively new without crazy miles.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-3+Series-cherry-hill-nj-9615b3ba0a0d0c140da0284ae3d22d46.htm

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    edited January 2020

Made a real rookie mistake on Friday, never ever had this happen before. Took a 2019 Rav4 up to a Toyota store in Vero Beach. Since we were leaving it there, did my usual routine. Attatch the keys to my personal key chain, it had push button start, got my screwdriver out to remove the plate, got back in to put my driver back into my backpack and handed the keys to my lead. Only problem...I never gave them to him. Went out to Okeechobee next and then back to Palm Beach International. Was sent to a location on Northlake Blvd. and by this time, it was just about 5. Seems like we were having company from D.C., so the roads around PBI were ridiculously crowded. Got to the Northlake store, and noticed I had not one set of keys on my pants keyholder holder, I had two!!!

Different kind of mistake in our family last week, but on-topic here because it is related to push-button start. I went for a run with my wife and a friend, but left the fob with the wife because she was going to run shorter and would get back to the car first. So once we all got back, my wife was re-arranging her gear from her run while I was stretching and chatting with my friend to confirm coffee with her and her roomie.

After a couple minutes, we're off to the coffee shop, and I jump in and start up, unaware of anything wrong and figuring my wife has the fob in one pocket or another. A couple blocks up the street, I hear a strange noise on the roof, as if I were dragging under low hanging branches, but there are no low-hanging branches on that block. Get to the coffee shop and shut the car off. As we're getting out, I ask my wife to confirm she has the fob on her. She said she thought I had it. I told her she never gave it to me, and after a little looking around, I thought I'd just try to re-start... "HOLD REMOTE NEAR RECEIVER TO START" So NOW I know what that noise was!

Luckily I remembered to within a block or two where I heard that noise, and my friend was able to drive us back there to search for the fob. We found it right along the curb, thankfully out of the way of traffic and undamaged. It's a damn good thing that our friend was joining us for the coffee stop on the way home! The wife is not used to the push-button start thing, and now I know to make damn sure I know where the fob is whenever I start the car!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @qbrozen - speedy recovery my friend!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

that is an issue with keyless. I always keep my keys in my pocket for both cars, but occasionally will take one out (or it ends up in a coat or some such). Not an issue if I go to drive by myself, but if I leave with the wife and she has hers (they just stay in the bottom of her 15 pound purse) the car doesn't tell me. Unless I notice for some reason the memory settings are wrong. Until she gets out of the car, and it wants to stop running!

at least in the old days I had to pull it out of my pocket to even get the car started.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    I do like the keyless entry and ignition. With the Accord I have had the following learning experiences: If the wife puts her purse with the Accord key fob in the trunk and I attempt to lock the car, it won’t. I end up with two sets of key fobs in my pocket. I have a magnetic money clip that supposedly blocks people from scanning my credit cards. After driving down the road and having a message displayed ‘key not recognized’, I discovered the money clip was also blocking the signal from the key fob. I no longer keep both in the same pocket. Battery life seems to be about 2 years. I keep spare batteries handy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

you can lock the keys in the car, just not with the button on the door. Need to use the other fob. Definitely works if a fob is in the car. I think it works in the trunk too, though now I think of it, on the TLX it might not let you close the trunk lid. which is kind of silly since you can shut the doors.

edited January 2020
    stickguy said:

not sure if I posted this one before, but for a relatively "basic" car for a 2nd one, this seems to be getting pretty cheap now, but still relatively new without crazy miles.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-3+Series-cherry-hill-nj-9615b3ba0a0d0c140da0284ae3d22d46.htm

I had a fairly spartan 320i for a loaner back in 2016. I really liked it. We had one RWD with a manual and the Track Handling Package. It was a hoot.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    OF, hate the way the Rav4 drove as I changed lanes. Too herky jerky for my tastes and if owned one, would turn it off if possible. Nice vehicles though.
    Now that 320IX was cool. No sports seats but, has a moon roof and betting it could get XM radio. But not really sure I'd do well with a BMW as they seem a bit high strung and need a certain kind of maintenance. I do better with "cheap to keep" to be honest.
    Heard back from my local VW store. The new 2020 Golf is coming to their store soon, a blue one among them. But, there's only going to be one model and they're not sure if it'll have a moon roof and the Beats audio. Asked her to let me know when they get it in stock and I'll come over and give it a test drive. Made sure she understood that I'm not ready to buy anything right now. I just want to drive everything on my short list and see which ones I can remove from consideration.
    Lastly, sat in a 2019 Mini Cooper Countryman at one of our locations and it was quite nice. I was very excited about how nice I fit in the front seat and had everything within easy reach. And it's not the small Mini Cooper either. I think I could live with one as my d d without any issues. Now, to test drive one and if I like it, come to a deal with my Golf as a trade in. And if it drives as nice as my Golf does, I could be in trouble here. Because I will buy it if it's as good as I think it will be!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    mjfloyd1 said:

Sorry, I had posted in the catch-all thread. Doing fine. No pain meds needed. Should be an easy recovery.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

That’s pretty cheap and not a horrendous amount of miles. Is that version prone to any serious mechanical problems? Could be a fun little week end toy.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

OF, hate the way the Rav4 drove as I changed lanes. Too herky jerky for my tastes and if owned one, would turn it off if possible. Nice vehicles though.
    Now that 320IX was cool. No sports seats but, has a moon roof and betting it could get XM radio. But not really sure I'd do well with a BMW as they seem a bit high strung and need a certain kind of maintenance. I do better with "cheap to keep" to be honest.
    Heard back from my local VW store. The new 2020 Golf is coming to their store soon, a blue one among them. But, there's only going to be one model and they're not sure if it'll have a moon roof and the Beats audio. Asked her to let me know when they get it in stock and I'll come over and give it a test drive. Made sure she understood that I'm not ready to buy anything right now. I just want to drive everything on my short list and see which ones I can remove from consideration.
    Lastly, sat in a 2019 Mini Cooper Countryman at one of our locations and it was quite nice. I was very excited about how nice I fit in the front seat and had everything within easy reach. And it's not the small Mini Cooper either. I think I could live with one as my d d without any issues. Now, to test drive one and if I like it, come to a deal with my Golf as a trade in. And if it drives as nice as my Golf does, I could be in trouble here. Because I will buy it if it's as good as I think it will be!

I’ve always liked the Countryman. Wish they would have opted for a bigger engine, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

OF, I think they are pretty reliable. Just a basic 3 series. Nothing crazy. So I would not worry too much about it if it was maintained and checks out OK.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    De-powered turbo, no HIDs or backup cam? Hard pass.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I’m a little intrigued by this. It’s no M335i, but with the manual and at that price, I’ve gotta imagine it’s a fun package.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/798278542/overview/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    breld said:

I’m a little intrigued by this. It’s no M335i, but with the manual and at that price, I’ve gotta imagine it’s a fun package.

Was expecting a black interior on that.

Imagine my surprise. Nice car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Someone picked all the right options on that one.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    stickguy said:

Until she gets out of the car, and it wants to stop running!

How quickly would the car actually want to stop running? I got close to 2 miles down the road without even a warning message.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    Michaell said:

breld said:

Was thinking the same, nicely optioned too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    qbrozen said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Sorry, I had posted in the catch-all thread. Doing fine. No pain meds needed. Should be an easy recovery.
    Excellent. Don’t over-do it since you are pain-free though.
    ronsteve said:

stickguy said:

Until she gets out of the car, and it wants to stop running!

How quickly would the car actually want to stop running? I got close to 2 miles down the road without even a warning message.
    I don't know when/how it would die. I am sure if you turn it off, it won't turn back on. And I do know that as soon as you take the key out of the car while it is running, you start getting warning messages about it.

Michaell said:

breld said:

it is. Just about the best you can do in 2014. Love the interior. I actually prefer the smaller wheels and taller sidewalls, but if you lived with the roads around here, you would too!

I could be very happy with that car. If it had BLIS and CarPlay would have it all!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Bring a Trailer is jumping the shark with this one. The guy is still LEASING the car, and has 4 months to go. He wants the winning bidder to essentially pay his remaining payments (on a $60K MSRP 3 series Wagon), plus the buy out, plus sales tax, then register is in the winner's name where the winner will have to pay sales tax. Nice lookin car though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-bmw-2017-330i-xdrive-sport-wagon-m-sport/

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited January 2020
    nyccarguy said:

Bring a Trailer is jumping the shark with this one. The guy is still LEASING the car, and has 4 months to go. He wants the winning bidder to essentially pay his remaining payments (on a $60K MSRP 3 series Wagon), plus the buy out, plus sales tax, then register is in the winner's name where the winner will have to pay sales tax. Nice lookin car though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-bmw-2017-330i-xdrive-sport-wagon-m-sport/

Nice option package...

But, for $60K, you don't even have leather. And, flat white paint.
    And, it's a 4 cyl automatic. Yes, that's the only way they came, but still... track handling package, why?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

nyccarguy said:

Nice option package...

But, for $60K, you don't even have leather. And, flat white paint.
    And, it's a 4 cyl automatic. Yes, that's the only way they came, but still... track handling package, why?
    So he could try sell it for more than the residual at the end of the lease.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:
    Was surfing YouTube car shows last night. I like REDLINE REVIEWS. Not saying the deal this person got was bad. But, the reviewer was scathing with criticism of both Nissan and Infiniti in general.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited January 2020
    I may check out that 228i this weekend. Like others have pointed out, it’s optioned nicely - I’d assume it was a special order, and it seems that most who would order something like this tend to forgo some of the creature comforts, but not so on this one.

Normally I’d stay away from a RWD version for resale here in CO, but at that price it could have appeal on the enthusiast front, given it’s the only way to get the manual anyway.

Clearly out of warranty - anyone know of particular issues of concern on the 4 cylinder?

not quite as fast as the 6?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    kyfdx said:
    That’s pretty cheap. Is Nissan having trouble moving those?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

and who cares about AWD on this. It is for a toy, and if there is snow it will be in the garage with your CC doing slop duty. Or put snows on it and drive it everyday.

OF, I think Nissan has trouble moving a lot of things that aren't the Rogue. but that was a great deal. If I need a cheap lease when my TLX goes back, something like that would work just fine.

stickguy said:

not quite as fast as the 6?

True. But that doesn’t really concern me. I’m more wondering if there are maintenance and repair issues to be afraid of.

Does not concern me either. actually still quite quick, and I am happier with less complexity and better mileage.

the experts will weigh in, but I don't recall hearing about any fatal flaws with the 2.0T engine, though I am sure it has evolved over the years with improvements. If it helps, CR gave the 2015 a much better than average overall used car rating (not enough data for 2014). The 2014 3 series generally rated fine too for the mechanicals. Might have been some teething pains if that was the year they switched from the 6 to the 4.

stickguy said:

Michaell said:

breld said:

it is. Just about the best you can do in 2014. Love the interior. I actually prefer the smaller wheels and taller sidewalls, but if you lived with the roads around here, you would too!

I could be very happy with that car. If it had BLIS and CarPlay would have it all!
    Lack of BLIS is a non-issue with an F22; just adjust the mirror properly. BLIS on a 2er is about as useful as Parking Assistant on an i3.
    As for CarPlay, I found that even the most ardent disciples of St. Jobs Temple of Apple tended to prefer BMWs navigation/telematics without CarPlay.

breld said:

I may check out that 228i this weekend. Like others have pointed out, it’s optioned nicely - I’d assume it was a special order, and it seems that most who would order something like this tend to forgo some of the creature comforts, but not so on this one.

Normally I’d stay away from a RWD version for resale here in CO, but at that price it could have appeal on the enthusiast front, given it’s the only way to get the manual anyway.

Clearly out of warranty - anyone know of particular issues of concern on the 4 cylinder?

It’s the N20. A decent motor and it makes the 228i almost quick. No real issues that I know of. Just change the oil every 10k miles/one year using an oil meeting BMW specs and change the coolant every 3-4 years.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @roadburner ...tough to beat Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay in modern cars. The newest ones even integrate both well.

I like BMW. But, I think charging either a subscription fee, or as an option on their cars to integrate Apple CarPlay is a non-starter for many. Not sure about all car makers, but the ones I’ve driven recently have both Android or Apple as a freebie in their cars.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Two big recalls surfaced today. Honda recalled 2.7 million vehicles due to faulty Takata airbags, but these ones won't kill you with shrapnel if they go off. They might kill you by not inflating at all though.

Toyota recalled 3.4 million vehicles because of a faulty ECU that might not trigger airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners in the case of a crash.

The Honda one is doubly interesting because they say they won't be able to start fixing them for about a year. Yikes.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/01/22/toyota-honda-recall-corolla-takata-airbag/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I wear my seatbelt. Not worried if they don’t go off. Probably break my glasses anyway.

I also would not really expect any 20+ YO airbags to go off as designed now.