Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Private seller meeting at public place

MCallahan82MCallahan82 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2020 in Chevrolet
Hello all,

I've found a used car through a private seller. Everything I've seen about it so far looks great. He has provided a lot of information on the car, including the clean Carfax report.

For the test drive, he wants to meet at a public place. Is it a red flag that he wants to meet there instead of at his house, or is this just a reasonable precaution on his part?

Thanks!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Hello all,

I've found a used car through a private seller. Everything I've seen about it so far looks great. He has provided a lot of information on the car, including the clean Carfax report.

For the test drive, he wants to meet at a public place. Is it a red flag that he wants to meet there instead of at his house, or is this just a reasonable precaution on his part?

Thanks!

Tough call.

Our local police department encourages people to meet in their parking lot for person-to-person transactions.

I've never had a problem with people coming to my house to look at cars I'm trying to sell, but I could understand someone with issues, that way.

But, I don't know where you live, or how you feel about that. You might make it clear that you aren't bringing any money, and this is just for a test drive, until a deal is struck.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MCallahan82MCallahan82 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your response!