Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

breld said:

I may check out that 228i this weekend. Like others have pointed out, it’s optioned nicely - I’d assume it was a special order, and it seems that most who would order something like this tend to forgo some of the creature comforts, but not so on this one.

Normally I’d stay away from a RWD version for resale here in CO, but at that price it could have appeal on the enthusiast front, given it’s the only way to get the manual anyway.

Clearly out of warranty - anyone know of particular issues of concern on the 4 cylinder?

It’s the N20. A decent motor and it makes the 228i almost quick. No real issues that I know of. Just change the oil every 10k miles/one year using an oil meeting BMW specs and change the coolant every 3-4 years.
    Thanks @roadburner and @stickguy for the feedback.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

@roadburner ...tough to beat Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay in modern cars. The newest ones even integrate both well.

I like BMW. But, I think charging either a subscription fee, or as an option on their cars to integrate Apple CarPlay is a non-starter for many. Not sure about all car makers, but the ones I’ve driven recently have both Android or Apple as a freebie in their cars.

CarPlay is now free to download on recent BMWs and there’s no longer a subscription fee. I still think CarPlay is redundant in BMWs equipped with Professional Navigation.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    I like using google maps, and really like being able to have everything set on my phone, then just get in the car, plug it in and already running. And much easier to make changes on the fly, since just do it right on the phone and never have to mess with the car. and no issues about updates required.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,095

kyfdx said:
    That’s pretty cheap. Is Nissan having trouble moving those?
    No idea... my personal views, aside.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

breld said:

stickguy said:

not quite as fast as the 6?

True. But that doesn’t really concern me. I’m more wondering if there are maintenance and repair issues to be afraid of.
    We have the same engine (more or less) in our 2017 X3. Of course, only 40K miles. Not a hiccup.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    kyfdx said:
    That's about the number I had pinned down. Seriously considered it and mentioned it to the wife. But then thought better of it. The Hyundai was a better decision.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited January 2020
    A college friend of mine texted me earlier letting me know he picked up a new Model 3 Performance, blue over black. The blue looks really nice. He's head over heels in love with it (so far).

The next time I am in the area for work and we catch up he offered to let me take it for a spin. Having never driven a BEV I'm looking forward to it.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    ronsteve said:

stickguy said:

Until she gets out of the car, and it wants to stop running!

How quickly would the car actually want to stop running? I got close to 2 miles down the road without even a warning message.
    I left my Q7 running when I went inside a building to assist a disabled friend. My wife and kids were in the car, but the only fob was on me. About five minutes later, she decides to move the car, so she goes around to the driver, gets in, takes off, and drives it around the block before coming back to the spot where I originally stopped. The whole time, the car said the key was not present, but it didn't seem to take any issue at all with her driving it around.... /facepalm
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2020
    I use the BMW Connected app to send addresses to my car, so the destination is set as soon as I start the car. Making a change is easy using voice recognition. I like not having to tether a phone.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I think most of the keyless systems will let you continue driving a running car with no key present until you turn the ignition off. After that, you're stuck until you find the fob.

@roadburner, that's a nice feature. I like Waze's (usually) correct prompts of objects on the road, vehicles stopped on the shoulder, potholes, etc. The warnings about police presence are often wrong, though.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    ab348 said:

Two big recalls surfaced today. Honda recalled 2.7 million vehicles due to faulty Takata airbags, but these ones won't kill you with shrapnel if they go off. They might kill you by not inflating at all though.

Toyota recalled 3.4 million vehicles because of a faulty ECU that might not trigger airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners in the case of a crash.

The Honda one is doubly interesting because they say they won't be able to start fixing them for about a year. Yikes.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/01/22/toyota-honda-recall-corolla-takata-airbag/

Woo hoo! An excuse to buy another car. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    The upshot is that if you fasten your seat belt, none of this matters, the billions of dollars spent on airbags to the contrary.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    xwesx said:

ronsteve said:

stickguy said:

Until she gets out of the car, and it wants to stop running!

How quickly would the car actually want to stop running? I got close to 2 miles down the road without even a warning message.
    I left my Q7 running when I went inside a building to assist a disabled friend. My wife and kids were in the car, but the only fob was on me. About five minutes later, she decides to move the car, so she goes around to the driver, gets in, takes off, and drives it around the block before coming back to the spot where I originally stopped. The whole time, the car said the key was not present, but it didn't seem to take any issue at all with her driving it around.... /facepalm
    Criminals will appreciate that feature.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

The upshot is that if you fasten your seat belt, none of this matters, the billions of dollars spent on airbags to the contrary.

Having been properly belted in an accident where the airbag prevented my head from hitting the steering wheel, I respectfully disagree.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    I'm pretty sure I have seen ample objective data proving the value of airbags.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Then there's the side airbags, a relatively recent development. Generally, though, the airbag concept was to provide passive protection, on the theory that people who don't want to use seat belts need to be protected.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    they were always known to be more effective when combined with seatbelts. The problem was, they designed them (and tested) assuming that people in the car were unbelted.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    fintail said:

I'm pretty sure I have seen ample objective data proving the value of airbags.

I agree with you so I'm not arguing but with all the problems we have heard about airbags, can we really put our trust in them alone to work when we need them? When I hear my seat belt click I'm sure it will work even if the car is 20 years old. I saw what can happen when you don't use your seat belt when I was a member of flight crews when I was in the Navy from 1960 to 1963. I knew a guy in the aviation equipment group who made me seat belts that I installed in my '56 Chevy. Then when I got a '62 Chevy in '63 (just before I got out), I didn't want the military green belts so I went to the auto parts and got pretty blue matching seat belts for that beauty. Yes, once again I was ahead of the curve about something. However, if you saw what happened to that sailor when he was launched out of his seat into a baggage rack, after being warned by me several times to buckle up, because we were going to land hard due to some pretty strong cross winds, you would have installed them too in your car. I have never had a car without seat belts since then and I trust them to be there when needed...not so sure I can say the same about airbags.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Criminals will appreciate that feature.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought! LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Don’t leave your engine running.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    edited January 2020
    Mom was slightly ahead of the curve about seat belts. In 65 when they bought a used 63 Olds Dynamic 88 Holiday coupe she had driver and passenger seat belts installed upfront. None in the rear. She always wore hers and if you sat up front, that was the rule, seat belt fastened. I became a real believer when we lived in France and I watched a wreck happen in front of us and a woman was thrown through the windshield. That was very upsetting.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

jmonroe said:

I agree with you so I'm not arguing but with all the problems we have heard about airbags, can we really put our trust in them alone to work when we need them? When I hear my seat belt click I'm sure it will work even if the car is 20 years old.

The belt will probably work, but if equipped, the pretensioner (another pyrotechnic like the airbag) may or may not, since I assume they are subject to similar aging issues as airbags. Everything is a crapshoot... At least the pretensioners are not mounted in a location where they can launch shrapnel into your face if they malfunction.
    qbrozen said:

Received an email that my BonusDrive application was approved. So we will be receiving a $500 check from Hyundai. Its like 3 mos of no payments. :)

What is that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

These days I'd be more concerned with shrapnel than the bags not inflating at all. IIRC, several years ago, MB found one of their early production airbag cars (an S-class from 1980, I think), and crash tested it. The airbag still worked. I also think I have seen some stat touting tens of thousands of lives saved via airbags, as they have been standard in virtually every car sold here since around 1995, it could be true. My mom has an older car with only front airbags, sometimes I'd like her to get something with more modern active safety, just for peace of mind.

Seatbelts can be funny too. My old car, now within sight of 60 years old, has belts I think were installed by the dealer when new (front seats only). They click just fine with their aircraft style latches, but I am a little leery of what might happen if that old netting is stretched too hard.
    jmonroe said:

I agree with you so I'm not arguing but with all the problems we have heard about airbags, can we really put our trust in them alone to work when we need them? When I hear my seat belt click I'm sure it will work even if the car is 20 years old. I have never had a car without seat belts since then and I trust them to be there when needed...not so sure I can say the same about airbags.

jmonroe

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Received an email that my BonusDrive application was approved. So we will be receiving a $500 check from Hyundai. Its like 3 mos of no payments. :)

What is that?
    https://www.bonusdrive.com/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    fintail said:

These days I'd be more concerned with shrapnel than the bags not inflating at all. IIRC, several years ago, MB found one of their early production airbag cars (an S-class from 1980, I think), and crash tested it. The airbag still worked. I also think I have seen some stat touting tens of thousands of lives saved via airbags, as they have been standard in virtually every car sold here since around 1995, it could be true. My mom has an older car with only front airbags, sometimes I'd like her to get something with more modern active safety, just for peace of mind.

Seatbelts can be funny too. My old car, now within sight of 60 years old, has belts I think were installed by the dealer when new (front seats only). They click just fine with their aircraft style latches, but I am a little leery of what might happen if that old netting is stretched too hard.

jmonroe said:

I agree with you so I'm not arguing but with all the problems we have heard about airbags, can we really put our trust in them alone to work when we need them? When I hear my seat belt click I'm sure it will work even if the car is 20 years old. I have never had a car without seat belts since then and I trust them to be there when needed...not so sure I can say the same about airbags.

jmonroe

Have you inquired on replacing the old seat belts? It maybe worth it just for your peace of mind.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    corvette said:

I think most of the keyless systems will let you continue driving a running car with no key present until you turn the ignition off. After that, you're stuck until you find the fob.

That was exactly my experience with my RDX. Now trying to remember if that was the drive where there was a message that the fob needed a new battery. Maybe that was the system's interpretation of it being on (or by that point, off?) the roof...
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    It's something I should look into. They attach to the floor, so it wouldn't be a horribly tough job. I'd want a vintage look with the old fashioned buckles though, maybe I can replace just the webbing. The car only goes on 2 or 3 freeway drives a year anymore, and is deemed roadworthy by my indy mechanic, so I like to think I am keeping luck on my side.
    sda said:

Have you inquired on replacing the old seat belts? It maybe worth it just for your peace of mind.

stickguy said:

they were always known to be more effective when combined with seatbelts. The problem was, they designed them (and tested) assuming that people in the car were unbelted.

Which I consider to be unwarranted interference with the law of natural selection. Design supplemental restraint systems to protect belted occupant.

so If parents don’t buckle up their kids that’s just too bad for those kids?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Kids in back seat don’t have airbags anyway.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    My son in law's Explorer has airbag seat belts in the 2nd row.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Those kind of freak me out. I know the chance of a random accidental deployment is very low, but airbag locations are something I try to be conscious of when I’m working on my car.
    corvette said:

jmonroe said:

I agree with you so I'm not arguing but with all the problems we have heard about airbags, can we really put our trust in them alone to work when we need them? When I hear my seat belt click I'm sure it will work even if the car is 20 years old.

The belt will probably work, but if equipped, the pretensioner (another pyrotechnic like the airbag) may or may not, since I assume they are subject to similar aging issues as airbags. Everything is a crapshoot... At least the pretensioners are not mounted in a location where they can launch shrapnel into your face if they malfunction.
    On my 1985 F-150 the cab was so rusty that the anchor mount for the seat belt broke loose and was rattling on the ground like a grappling hook. So even a seat belt can fail.

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

What is that?
    Funny that the offer is bundled with FCA cars. Does Hyundai have a relationship that I’m not aware of?

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

What is that?
    Funny that the offer is bundled with FCA cars. Does Hyundai have a relationship that I’m not aware of?
    that is a company that sells the service to various companies and organizations to offer as a benefit. Kind of like TrueCar. Not run by Hyundai.

So, interesting. I left the i3 at the airport for 3.5 days (Monday night to today midday) while traveling for a conference. Near zero parasitic draw. Range was 136 miles when I parked and exactly the same when I got back. Very impressed.

Nice! Li-ion batteries seem to hold a charge pretty well in storage, as well.

I think many ICE cars don't have a lot of parasitic draw, anymore - the only time it takes mine a long time to top off on the battery maintainer is if I've done a bunch of short trips, engaging the starter without driving them long enough to allow the battery to fully recharge.
    My Volt always stays charged, even if we go away for awhile.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    The fintail, which has a huge battery and virtually nothing running to drain the battery while idle, will fire right up after sitting for a month or two.

The modern cars, however, hate a diet of only short drives, and send out low battery warnings if not taken for a 15+ minute/higher speed drive now and then.
    suydam said:

Since the Safety [non-permissible content removed] insists on protecting unbelted adult imbeciles the bags inflate much faster and even endanger children who are belted in.

So, interesting. I left the i3 at the airport for 3.5 days (Monday night to today midday) while traveling for a conference. Near zero parasitic draw. Range was 136 miles when I parked and exactly the same when I got back. Very impressed.

Well, sure... consider the sheer size of that battery compared to the draw (and then compare to a typical 12V starting battery). I imagine it would take a whole lot of time with parasitic draw to have an appreciable effect on the range-to-empty. :D
    fintail said:

The fintail, which has a huge battery and virtually nothing running to drain the battery while idle, will fire right up after sitting for a month or two.

The modern cars, however, hate a diet of only short drives, and send out low battery warnings if not taken for a 15+ minute/higher speed drive now and then.

The battery in the Mustang complains after a month in storage but hasn’t failed to start...yet.

suydam said:

I used to lay on the rear window deck of my mom’s 53’ Ford as she drove to the store and smoked cigarettes. I lived to tell about it. :D
    When I was 5, my mother would drop me off at a sitter, on her way to school (teacher). I would lay in the floorboard by the heat flow and go to sleep.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

When the time comes, I could (maybe?) get the wife on board for a PU at that price. Or I just don’t ask her.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Closer to $290 without the loyalty, but still not bad for sign and drive.