Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    kyfdx said:
    brokers have Tacomas WAY cheaper than that. And 2020s, to boot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386
    Re: parasitic draw, I think it is pretty impressive given that most of these cars (i3 included) have a good deal of always-on reporting about charging, remote capabilities.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Yeah, also, if it was cold, it seems like li-ion batteries sometimes lose their charge more quickly when the temps drop.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

suydam said:

so If parents don’t buckle up their kids that’s just too bad for those kids?

I used to lay on the rear window deck of my mom’s 53’ Ford as she drove to the store and smoked cigarettes. I lived to tell about it. :D
    Thanks for the explanation for your behavior. Now, if only some of the others in here would come clean we'd be more tolerant of them too. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:
    brokers have Tacomas WAY cheaper than that. And 2020s, to boot.
    They're usually 24 months too.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    My folks had a Ford Country Squire station wagon when I was a kid, sat in the very back facing backward. I don't recall seat belts, just not being able to go far without getting car sick :'(
    stickguy said:

When the time comes, I could (maybe?) get the wife on board for a PU at that price. Or I just don’t ask her.

Based on her vehicle preferences you've shared, if you get one I would make sure it has the tonneau cover and sleeping bag option boxes checked :D
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    dad23 said:

My folks had a Ford Country Squire station wagon when I was a kid, sat in the very back facing backward. I don't recall seat belts, just not being able to go far without getting car sick :'(

My folks had a VW Squareback - I don't know if it even had seatbelts. But, I do remember the license plate number - VVG 984. These were the original black & gold CA plates.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    pensfan83 said:

stickguy said:

When the time comes, I could (maybe?) get the wife on board for a PU at that price. Or I just don’t ask her.

Based on her vehicle preferences you've shared, if you get one I would make sure it has the tonneau cover and sleeping bag option boxes checked :D
    She would never drive it. And just insist we take her car everywhere.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

stickguy said:

You may be missing @pensfan83 's point. It's not a matter of her driving it. It is how doing stuff like that secretly tends to work out rather poorly on a much broader scale.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited January 2020
    Michaell said:

dad23 said:

My folks had a VW Squareback - I don't know if it even had seatbelts. But, I do remember the license plate number - VVG 984. These were the original black & gold CA plates.
    My 69 Econoline did not have seat belts. I added lap belts to the captain chairs when I first started rebuilding it.

I hate being in a vehicle without a seatbelt. I remember pulling many, if not all, of the stunts mentioned here as a young child. I recall one time even riding on the window sill, passenger door, of my step-father's early 70s Charger, holding onto the roof as he drove down the road at 55+. I was around five.

Then, not long after that, sitting in the back seat of that same car, my mom was sitting in the parking lot of a bank. She went in to get cash, we stayed in the car. A couple minutes later, *wham*, the next thing I know I'm tossed bodily into the back of the driver seat in front of me. A pickup had backed into the rear quarter of her car, just behind me. Very low speed impact, maybe 5 mph, but it sure had an effect on me! I immediately got into the seat, clicked the belt, and have worn one every since.

I recall harping on the rest of my family members to do likewise many, many times. I suspect that my parents started wearing theirs simply as a way to shut me up. Hahahhaha
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Oh, I would bombard her with information (potential schemes?) and eventually she will tell me to get whatever I want, just pick something and stop bothering her.

Then I am in the clear!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386
    Looks like the X1 finally popped up for sale - no pictures yet: https://www.infinitiofbellevue.com/inventory/used-2016-bmw-x1-xdrive28i-awd-4d-sport-utility-wbxht3c35gp889867

Took long enough to get through the lease return process. Asking price is less $800 less than our residual (before tax). No chance.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Yes we all survived the driving practices of an earlier time. But that’s the point. We survived. Those who didn’t aren’t around to tell the tale.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    If any of you Cincinnati-area peeps want free tickets to the Auto Expo, let me know. Chevrolet will give me two since I'm a high-falutin' Chevy Truck Legend.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    corvette said:

If any of you Cincinnati-area peeps want free tickets to the Auto Expo, let me know. Chevrolet will give me two since I'm a high-falutin' Chevy Truck Legend.

Show is 5th-9th, and I’m out of town 4th-8th.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

trying to convince the wife that a good option would be snagging a killer lease if one finally dropped in our lap. She is pretty fixated on just wanting to buy her own car instead of leasing. But I could probably work that out. Though would be a lot easier to just buy it, and forget about it for the next 7-10 years. As long as she finally settles on something affordable, no problem. But I had to have the discussion again (at least the princess is on my side on this one!) about a service loaner being the only way to buy an X3 or XC60.

Didn't you already go down the killer lease road and end up with something you weren't thrilled with?

it needs to be on what she wants. that is the problem with bottom feeding lease prices. It usually isn't.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Hope the Cinci show is better than Boston...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited January 2020

Hope the Cinci show is better than Boston...

Apparently they sell beer, if that piques your fancy. Looks like they have more luxury makes than Louisville.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    corvette said:

You’ve got mail!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    This struck a chord with me when I saw it for the 1st time during the NHL All Star Game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IQdjFTP40

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    They didn't show the most accurate one, with the mom screaming like a banshee from the stands at an U10 game.

Hyundai has an NHL deal in Canada, a few overplayed spots air during CBC games.
    fintail said:

They didn't show the most accurate one, with the mom screaming like a banshee from the stands at an U10 game.

Hyundai has an NHL deal in Canada, a few overplayed spots air during CBC games.

Lots of that going on this past weekend! My 10 year old son (the goalie) had a tournament. They went 1-1-1. He played great and I’m super proud of him.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Congrats to him. I think goalies often march to the beat of a different drum, and play for personal satisfaction rather than parental vicarious living more than other positions, flashy forwards especially.

And maybe he'll stay with the game - I'm in my 40s and playing every weekend now, always a blast.

nyccarguy said:

Lots of that going on this past weekend! My 10 year old son (the goalie) had a tournament. They went 1-1-1. He played great and I’m super proud of him.

stickguy said:

pensfan83 said:

stickguy said:

Sounds vaguely familiar

fintail said:

Congrats to him. I think goalies often march to the beat of a different drum, and play for personal satisfaction rather than parental vicarious living more than other positions, flashy forwards especially.

And maybe he'll stay with the game - I'm in my 40s and playing every weekend now, always a blast.

nyccarguy said:

That’s the thing with my kids and hockey. I never played! My 13 year old son said (after seeing a flyer after a school sponsored skating event) when he was 5 1/2 said: I want to learn to play hockey. He LOVES playing. It’s been close to 5 years since he scored a goal. He’s on the travel team, skates hard, & has had excellent coaches.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Sounds like fun. Was never into sports in school but was on the swim team my junior year here in South Florida. I was usually dead last but I enjoyed swimming. We had a big swimming pool at our summer camp in Clinton Ct., and swam multiple times a day. Met my first true love while on the swim team, the woman I had planned to marry. But, things just didn't go as planned. Ah, such is life!
    Well, off to work on this brisk Sunday morning. 55 outside which is a bit chilly for us southeners!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

fintail said:

Sadly, minor hockey culture can be quite toxic up here at times. I suppose the level of zealotry is matched by devotion to other sports in other areas. Parents often go over the edge. The amount of tax money used to build arenas for minor hockey here can boggle the mind. My city recently agreed in principle to renovate an ancient arena and is poised to spend $80 million on it to get 2 ice surfaces. They have also built a pair of aircraft-hangar-like 4-pad arenas at $40-$50 million apiece.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    ab348 said:

fintail said:

Sadly, minor hockey culture can be quite toxic up here at times. I suppose the level of zealotry is matched by devotion to other sports in other areas. Parents often go over the edge. The amount of tax money used to build arenas for minor hockey here can boggle the mind. My city recently agreed in principle to renovate an ancient arena and is poised to spend $80 million on it to get 2 ice surfaces. They have also built a pair of aircraft-hangar-like 4-pad arenas at $40-$50 million apiece.

Are they still negotiating for a new stadium for the planned CFL franchise there?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The city rejected the original pitch by the proponents and came back with some lukewarm support if they could propose a different site. It has been radio silence ever since.

The CFL has got a snowball's chance of success here as it is not very popular locally. We could use a decent 10,000 seat outdoor stadium but the CFL types are talking about 20-25K seats and there is no real use for that here.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ab348 said:

The city rejected the original pitch by the proponents and came back with some lukewarm support if they could propose a different site. It has been radio silence ever since.

The CFL has got a snowball's chance of success here as it is not very popular locally. We could use a decent 10,000 seat outdoor stadium but the CFL types are talking about 20-25K seats and there is no real use for that here.

If all that is needed is seating for 10,000 why don't they just use lawn chairs for a couple bucks or tax the sport fans that bring their own 75 cents? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited January 2020
    Buick just announced cancellation of the Regal. As with Ford, the GM brand will be SUV-only for MY21.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Parents are probably the driving force behind toxicity. I've long had the idea that youth sports should only involve parents if they are doing something with the team (and not cases where parents get together and buy teams to ensure their spoiled devilspawn can play). No screaming vicarious-living egoists in the stands. I spent most of my youth in a small town where, like in much of the country, football is king. It was a political pressure cooker to the point of being like a parody (and I am far from Texas). I wanted no part in it. And today we have the proliferation of for-profit sports "academies" (with suspect academics for most, I'd wager) where a 25K+++/year can be "invested" by parents looking for that college full ride or the unlikely pro dream, the same parents who somehow have the means to pay junior's way anyway. Via this relatively new phenomenon and the costs of playing in general, hockey isn't exactly rescuing any at-risk kids from the street - it was once a somewhat egalitarian working class ideal, not so much anymore.

I'd be thrilled if we had municipal facilities like that here, as far as I know, there's only one city-operated ice sheet in the entire state (where in Canada, most little hamlets have one). The private sector doesn't do the best at providing such goods. Here they could just tax the offshore money laundering capital hiders/residency purchasers/"investors" and probably build it in a year.
    ab348 said:

It's the best game, I can see how kids become obsessed with it. I wanted to play when I was young, but spent most of my childhood hours from any ice surface, so I just watched it. Got into playing as an adult, and it is addictive, even with late games and going on a wild goose chase to find ice time. I think a lot of adult players are kind of living a second childhood.
    nyccarguy said:

That’s the thing with my kids and hockey. I never played! My 13 year old son said (after seeing a flyer after a school sponsored skating event) when he was 5 1/2 said: I want to learn to play hockey. He LOVES playing. It’s been close to 5 years since he scored a goal. He’s on the travel team, skates hard, & has had excellent coaches.

The Encore is a SUV? B) I'd be curious to know Regal wagon sales - a hen's tooth on the road here, I see more late model Rolls-Royce.

I suspect there will still be an impressive car line offered in China.
    xwesx said:

Buick just announced cancellation of the Regal. As with Ford, the GM brand will be SUV-only for MY21.

xwesx said:

Not a shock. There were no Buick sedans at the Louisville auto show.
    fintail said:

And today we have the proliferation of for-profit sports "academies" (with suspect academics for most, I'd wager) where a 25K+++/year can be "invested" by parents looking for that college full ride or the unlikely pro dream, the same parents who somehow have the means to pay junior's way anyway. Via this relatively new phenomenon and the costs of playing in general, hockey isn't exactly rescuing any at-risk kids from the street - it was once a somewhat egalitarian working class ideal, not so much anymore.

Years ago my niece married a real sports guy - he is a financial/investment advisor for a wealth management outfit so they do very well. Their son was enrolled in such a sports academy the year before last and from what I saw of their schedule the academic load must have been pretty light. He was on both the baseball and hockey teams and they traveled all over the place. God only knows how much it all cost. The saving grace was that the school went broke after his first year so he was forced to return to a regular school this year.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    xwesx said:

That was pretty much a given, after GM sold Opel.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    xwesx said:

I guess I missed them doing away with the Lacrosse too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I think there were 2 of the current model Regal sold locally, one to a guy who worked at one of the GM dealers here. I saw a second one a few months ago offered for sale used. Have never seen one on the road here. Dealers here did not bring any in for stock. Have never seen a current GS model here either. Found one in Canada at a dealer in Toronto.

edited January 2020
    Sounds right for a financebro, I wouldn't be surprised it was something like 40-50K CDN. Kind of warms my heart a little that one of those things went under. Back in the day, virtually all players came out of their local publicly accessible youth programs, and it was kind of a level playing field with significant but not impossible financial costs. Today, a lot depends on the circumstances into where a kid was born, as those who can practice for an hour a day will likely fall behind those who can buy many hours a day of development at a high cost - I suspect some parents are assuming much debt or taking out HELOCs to fund this new world. Kind of representative in general of this society where economic mobility has faltered. I'd wager the academic courses were very light, but then again, that'll be the reality for almost all of the kids if they make it to the full ride level, too - coddled schedule with closely managed time and all the tutoring and help you want.
    ab348 said:

Years ago my niece married a real sports guy - he is a financial/investment advisor for a wealth management outfit so they do very well. Their son was enrolled in such a sports academy the year before last and from what I saw of their schedule the academic load must have been pretty light. He was on both the baseball and hockey teams and they traveled all over the place. God only knows how much it all cost. The saving grace was that the school went broke after his first year so he was forced to return to a regular school this year.

I think the recent spate of Buick ads didn't help their cause. The one with the guy locking his car through the app and accentuating "my Buick!" is grating.
    @fintail - check out the rink on campus at the prep school my 13 year old played at today. It’s in your neck of the woods @explorerx4

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Building just a rink is a much simpler problem statement than building one with provision for lots of spectators. I helped with audio systems for rinks in the Vancouver, B.C., area back in the mid '70s.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    @nyccarguy,
    You must be at Avon Old Farms.
    As you know, it's a high end prep school with a very nice campus.
    Lots of hockey pro's have attended school there.
    Brian Leetch and Jonathan Quick come to mind.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    watching golf tourney on CBS. so of course, getting ads for nice stuff.

Aston Martin is buying big. cheap lease. A Vantage, for $1,699/month, no money down!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    How could I forget Nick Bonino?
    He played one year for our high school team.
    Scored 48 goals in 16 games, then went to AOF, BU, and at one point won a cup with the Penguins.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    BONINO BONINO BONINO, NICK BONINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Google "Nick Bonino hockey night in punjabi" and you'll know what I mean.