Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best way to sell old car

MCallahan82MCallahan82 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2020 in Honda
Hello,

It's finally time to get rid of my 2003 Civic. It has 156,000 miles and is in overall poor condition (power locks gone, broken gas tank door, burns oil quickly, no a/c, heat doesn't work well, etc.). It still runs though.

What is the best way for me to get rid of the car? Would I be better off taking to a CarMax and just seeing what they give me, try selling it myself, or a different option? Maybe a link someone can send that they think is helpful?

I know I can find some info myself but just wondering the best course of action with a car of this age/condition.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Hello,

It's finally time to get rid of my 2003 Civic. It has 156,000 miles and is in overall poor condition (power locks gone, broken gas tank door, burns oil quickly, no a/c, heat doesn't work well, etc.). It still runs though.

What is the best way for me to get rid of the car? Would I be better off taking to a CarMax and just seeing what they give me, try selling it myself, or a different option? Maybe a link someone can send that they think is helpful?

I know I can find some info myself but just wondering the best course of action with a car of this age/condition.

If you are up to it, put it on Craiglist. Just be sure to disclose all of the issues.

If it's an automatic, and you price it appropriately, it will sell quickly (because Honda and automatic).

CarMax isn't a bad idea, just to get a value, but they may not give you an offer, due to age/condition.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MCallahan82MCallahan82 Member Posts: 4
    Great, thanks for your response, again. If I got $1,000 for it I'd be thrilled. I think I'll list it on Craiglist for $1,200 and see what happens?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

Great, thanks for your response, again. If I got $1,000 for it I'd be thrilled. I think I'll list it on Craiglist for $1,200 and see what happens?

Surprisingly, any car that runs may be worth $2K, minimum. Again, bonus $$$'s because it's a Honda.

Ask for $2750, and take any offer over $2000 (cash only).

Or, you can get our experts to weigh in, if you repost here:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/1212/general/x/real-world-trade-in-values#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

If you want $1000, ask at least twice that. You’d be amazed how buyers really don’t have any idea of value, but they still want $500 off the asking price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator