Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Serpentine Belt Broke due to Broken Alternator Bracket

kathikathi Member Posts: 5
edited January 2020 in Buick
Have a little over 42000 miles on this. Took it in for inspection Jan - all okay. Two weeks later the car stopped on the way to a dr appointment. Service says the serpentine belt broke. They said it was due to a broken alternator bracket that they can't find anywhere or buy anywhere so far. It's been close to 2 weeks in this search they are doing and so far nothing. Is it that odd that there's no parts either being manufactured to replace the bracket and there are no aftermarket parts?

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited January 2020
    It looks like you may have to settle for a used bracket, if this is the part that failed. The first link is the part number for the bracket. The second is a GM Parts website that I use quite often.

https://www.gmcarpartsonline.com/p/Buick__LaCrosse/Air-Conditioning-AC-Compressor-Bracket-Alternator-Bracket-Mount-Bracket/48038096/12649651.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9003387&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsbrxBRDpARIsAAnnz_PjlkihJnhQVe-exLYMNH0DOhctPna1QzRL_jFBYTtzC0SkVEK7V48aAsR9EALw_wcB

From GM Parts Giant.....
    https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-bracket-12649651.html

GM Part No.: 12649651
    Bracket-Generator & A/C Compressor

Part Description BRACKET

Other Name BRACKET, A/C Compressor Mounting

Manufacturer GM. This genuine GM part is guaranteed by GM's factory warranty.

Manufacturer's Notes This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.
  • Options
    Thanks. I printed this links off and will check with the shop today about this since they have stated that so far there are no aftermarket parts available anywhere. I validated this fits my LaCrosse using the VIN lookup.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,180
    kathi said:

Thanks. I printed this links off and will check with the shop today about this since they have stated that so far there are no aftermarket parts available anywhere. I validated this fits my LaCrosse using the VIN lookup.

Used.. you may have to get it from a salvage yard/dismantler. Your dealer likely will not do that. You'll need and independent mechanic.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mechanics have been trying to get the part and so far cannot locate a used part. They are going thru gmparts. Thanks for your help. Looks to me like Buick really is at fault - I still have a warranty (just moved to the extended warranty late Nov), car is not even 5 years owned yet (purchased new) and Buick doesn't make the replacement part, can't find one, and darn I used to love Buicks... not sure anymore.
  • Options
    I talked to one of my local salvage yards. A bracket like that is typically left on an engine when they remove it and sell it as a used part. In all likelyhood if you call around looking for a matching used engine that is already pulled out of the car, that bracket will be on the engine sitting on the shelf. A matching one will be on a core engine that would be returned to them. Donawitz in Rochester Pa didn't have one but someone will.
  • Options
    kyle1004kyle1004 Member Posts: 2
    I joined this forum to say that I am dealing with this issue with Buick and the dealer told me (in CT) that there are only 14 in the whole country (USA) and they have to bid on them and that's only if the dealer who has them wants to sell it.

I have tried LKQ, a GM Parts place in Ohio, a GM parts place in British Columbia (Canada) and three local (with in 100 miles of metro NYC) and no one has this part or the part has already been stripped from the block.

Good luck finding one. Never will I recommend or purchase a Buick ever again.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I have seen some shops have the bracket repaired. A talented welder of course is required. To do the repair both the bracket and the alternator are removed from the engine. The alternator serves as the "holding fixture" for the bracket as it is being tacked back together. Then the bracket is welded back to serviceable standards.
  • Options
    kyle1004kyle1004 Member Posts: 2
    lol find a welder to fix an 8 year old car...

Shame on GM for making this an issue...

• Options
    Did you follow the above link that I shared? The "new bracket" listed according to this site for over $400 and the wholesale price of $274 is pretty steep IMO. Meanwhile it can be repaired for less than $40. If you're that angry at GM why would you be willing to give them more of your money?