Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

corvette said:

@graphicguy I LOVE Chicago. Check out the Art Institute if you have time. The Field Museum is also pretty good. The Museum of Broadcast Communications is neat, too.

Chicago is one of my favorite cities. Have been to Shedd, Science and Industry, History, Modern Art, Adler (planetarium) museums.
    MSI was a little stale when I was there last summer. Shedd is very nice, but I'm not big on aquariums. I may check out Adler next time. Lots of great places to eat, too!
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    nyccarguy said:

ab348 said:

So @nyccarguy , what are you doing in San Diego?

I had to go for work. A buying group I am a member of has a convention once a year. This year they picked San Diego. I didn't sleep through the night since Friday. It felt so good to come home and sleep in my own bed.
    If I was working I’d be heading to Seattle Sunday for a show.

Those shows are always tough. 8+!hours of presentations, then the overly long dinners, followed by way too much drinking.

Then a loonnng flight home.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Probably not a good week for the river architecture tour. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:
    The tough Seargeant type answer would be:

Don't get a lease you are not prepared to take to the end no matter what!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    That story is a strange coincidence.
    A friend of mine leased a Gen 1 X1(before they were MINI's underneath) and wanted to buy it at lease end.
    He was told he had to turn it in due to an outstanding recall.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388
    Responded. Unfortunately the answer is “tough noogies.”
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    @explorerx4 didn’t think they could do that - I always thought the residual value on a lease usually meant a guarantee you could buy it out at that price. BMW may include consumer unfriendly terms and conditions about recalls, though.

Lease transfers, I can kind of understand, since those are generally at the grace of the financing company. On the other hand, if you refuse to allow a transfer to a new lessee due to a recall, what business do you have allowing the tens of thousands of existing owners and lessees to continue driving these dangerous vehicles? Just buy them back if they’re that bad.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    that is what I would tell them. if I can't sell it or buy it, you better give me a new one that is not defective.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Tried it. They don’t care.

Tried it. They don’t care.

That’s pathetic on their part. I’d hit them and the selling dealership on every social media platform.
    I won’t slam a dealer for something that is out of their control. This is solely BMWFS and BMWNA.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Probably not a good week for the river architecture tour. :)

Love that!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I won’t slam a dealer for something that is out of their control. This is solely BMWFS and BMWNA.

Good point, but a jilted dealer is in a better position to get BMWFS and BMWNA to change their practices than a single customer.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Had to take a 2018 VW Atlas to my local VW store today. My lead driver thought I'd like to take it since I'd have enough time until I got picked up to stop home and use the facilities and catch a soda. So, came home, threw a load of wash in, emptied the dishwasher and had a small bowl of ice cream before going to turn in the Atlas. Got back to VW by 4:10 and unknown to me, another driver who was right behind me, had an accident within a minute of me pulling into traffic. Guy in a Camaro drop top hit his Cadillac but after a few minutes of talking, guy ran to his car and took off!! Crazy [non-permissible content removed] happens down here. Finally got picked up at 6:05 hut hell, I get paid by the hour.
    While at the VW store, asked about those three new 2020 Golfs. Guy checked the stats of the blue one and asked him if it ad the Beats sound system? He disappeared never to re-appear again. Lousy salesman because he never followed through even though he had my name also. As of now, still no call back!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited February 2020
    Sandy...I had a sales person like that several years ago at a Lexus dealer, of all places. Test drove an IS350 after they first came out. Liked it enough that we had sat down at his desk and I made an offer. He did the “gotta talk to my manager” routine. Left...I waited about 20 minutes and finally went to the receptionist to see where the sales person was.

She paged him over the intercom a few times. He never came back. I still had the keys to the Lexus in my pocket. On my way out, I tossed them to the receptionist and left. Never heard another peep from him, or the dealership, ever again.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    I went into a BMW dealer to buy a car. I walked around and looked at every car in the show room. A few salespeople were in their offices. Occasionally one would look at me, but nobody ever came out. I had $10,000 in cash in my pockets to leave as a down payment. I guess since I had on jeans and a t-shirt they figured I wasn't a serious buyer. They should have known because of the two big lumps in my front pockets. :smile:

That proved to be a self-fulling prophesy. I bought one at a dealer the next town over the next day. They were very happy to help me.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

You are nicer than me.

I'd feel the dealership has some control. Control over not selling bogus product in the first place. Control over doing something above and beyond to make it right.

Leasing scares me.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I remember he ended up leasing an X3 after that, and hated it.
    Turned that in and bought a CPO Mercedes SUV.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Had to take a 2018 VW Atlas to my local VW store today. My lead driver thought I'd like to take it since I'd have enough time until I got picked up to stop home and use the facilities and catch a soda. So, came home, threw a load of wash in, emptied the dishwasher and had a small bowl of ice cream before going to turn in the Atlas. Got back to VW by 4:10 and unknown to me, another driver who was right behind me, had an accident within a minute of me pulling into traffic. Guy in a Camaro drop top hit his Cadillac but after a few minutes of talking, guy ran to his car and took off!! Crazy [non-permissible content removed] happens down here. Finally got picked up at 6:05 hut hell, I get paid by the hour.
    While at the VW store, asked about those three new 2020 Golfs. Guy checked the stats of the blue one and asked him if it ad the Beats sound system? He disappeared never to re-appear again. Lousy salesman because he never followed through even though he had my name also. As of now, still no call back!

I’ve found that at some of the high end dealers the sales staff can’t be bothered with the likes of us low wage workers. It’s as if they think we couldn’t possibly afford their cars.

Maybe go back with your nice watch and fancy shoes to see if their attitude changes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Weird part was he knew I already owned a 2015 model and we talked about the salesman who sold it to me, long gone though. Went online at home and saw they have no SE models so, might just be another Golf is not in my future.
    Am hoping I really like the new Kia Seltos enough to want to get one as my next vehicle. Love that it's raised a bit so I just might be able to slide in and out like I did with my 2014 Tucson, the only thing I really liked about it. It's also small enough, at 159", to fit well within my sid of the garage. Lastly, am so ready to go back to "cheap to keep" at this point. As much as I'd like a BMW, not wanting to get into a vehicle that needs expensive upkeep and think the smallest one, the 330i, might just fit at home. And not sure I really want a sedan, as we've already got the A3. Did see a nice CPO unit at the Audi store on Monday, a 2017 with miles just under $20K, but having another A3 might just be too much. And do I really want to get used again? Not quite sure. Should have test drove it though just to see but...didn't.
    I did like sitting in the new Hyundai Venue when we bought the kid's new Accent in December. Great size, comfortable, layout was quite nice...I liked it especially in the Denim Edition. But think the new Seltos is really what I might be looking for going forward. So, will give one a test drive soon, and then, we'll see. I knew within 5 minutes while driving my current VW Golf that it was going to be mine, soon enough. Now, if I have that same feeling once I drive the Kia Seltos, then I'll know that in time, it'll be parked on my side of the garage!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I've been in exactly one BMW dealership in my life, in Scottsdale, AZ. This was over 20 years ago, when BMW still offered cars that I liked, and it wasn't as if I came in on the weekend after I'd mowed the lawn. I came in during a lunch hour dressed what came to be called "business casual," and no one of the sales staff could be bothered to ask me what I was interested in seeing. I wandered around for 10-15 minutes, then left.

I'll never darken the door of another one, that's certain, but it has mostly to do with the rolling computers they're selling these days.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Was off today, yay, but woke up and hurting due to my constant chronic pain. Stayed in bed much longer than I had planned, so no trip to get the brakes checked. Going Monday to get the oil changed so will have them check them then. If it turns out I need front pads or rotors, will have the work done and just keep the Golf a bit longer. Not the worst thing in the world. Now that my driving has been cut down to almost nothing, kinda silly to trade it in for something new. It's behaving so might be smart to just keep it and put off any buying plans for a bit. Once it has an issue, then that might be the proper time to trade it in but since it is behaving right now, probably best to just do nothing.
    Used to drive 1300 miles each month but now, it's turned into less than 250 per month, if that! And if I do trade, a lease might just be the way to go so I can maybe get something a bit nicer and just turn it in at the terms end. Just don't know.
    All I do know, I need to test drive the Venue and the Seltos, and go from there. It's the best I've got right now, so that'll be the plan going forward.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I've been to many dealers where I wasn't even approached. I was pleased, as I wasn't actually shopping B)

Here in casually dressed techieland, I doubt any salesman who wants a paycheck disregards a browser on appearance.

When I was still in my 20s, I stopped at the local Porsche dealer to look at a C43 AMG, an unusual car I was considering at the time. I pulled up in my nice 1989 S-class, even then an aging car, but well kept. I was thrown the keys, told I could take it out as I wished, just beware it might not have much gas. I took it out for an hour or so, solo. I came close to buying it, but when I came back a couple days later to make an offer, it had sold.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I guess it’s kind of funny, when I go to car lot to look and don’t want to be approached I am tackled, yet the times I go in to look seriously I don’t get a wink.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

same. It is hit or miss. I have been ignored at basic model stores (like Chevy or Honda). and had great service at BMW. Caddy, I stood there for ages, obviously looking around for people, but got the big brush off. Eventually I take the hint, There s always another dealer someplace to test drive at.

and I have the age and gray hair to fit the demographic at Caddy or Lexus!

Weird part was he knew I already owned a 2015 model and we talked about the salesman who sold it to me, long gone though. Went online at home and saw they have no SE models so, might just be another Golf is not in my future.
    Am hoping I really like the new Kia Seltos enough to want to get one as my next vehicle. Love that it's raised a bit so I just might be able to slide in and out like I did with my 2014 Tucson, the only thing I really liked about it. It's also small enough, at 159", to fit well within my sid of the garage. Lastly, am so ready to go back to "cheap to keep" at this point. As much as I'd like a BMW, not wanting to get into a vehicle that needs expensive upkeep and think the smallest one, the 330i, might just fit at home. And not sure I really want a sedan, as we've already got the A3. Did see a nice CPO unit at the Audi store on Monday, a 2017 with miles just under $20K, but having another A3 might just be too much. And do I really want to get used again? Not quite sure. Should have test drove it though just to see but...didn't.
    I did like sitting in the new Hyundai Venue when we bought the kid's new Accent in December. Great size, comfortable, layout was quite nice...I liked it especially in the Denim Edition. But think the new Seltos is really what I might be looking for going forward. So, will give one a test drive soon, and then, we'll see. I knew within 5 minutes while driving my current VW Golf that it was going to be mine, soon enough. Now, if I have that same feeling once I drive the Kia Seltos, then I'll know that in time, it'll be parked on my side of the garage!

Saw a Seltos yesterday during a delivery. Interesting styling. I didn’t get to sit in it but thought the $25k sticker was reasonable.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Yet another management shakeup at Ford. Veteran Joe Hinrichs is out the door, leaving Jim Farley in the catbird seat.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/02/automotive-head-joe-hinrichs-gone-amid-ford-shakeup/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Cincinnati-area peeps, Chevy is also offering me Dayton Auto Show tickets (2/20-2/23) if anyone would like them. I don't plan to use them.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    corvette said:

Cincinnati-area peeps, Chevy is also offering me Dayton Auto Show tickets (2/20-2/23) if anyone would like them. I don't plan to use them.

I'm beginning to wonder if any city can entice you with freebie tickets. What's it going to take, a car show in your companies parking lot or what? :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

jmonroe said:

corvette said:

I'm beginning to wonder if any city can entice you with freebie tickets. What's it going to take, a car show in your companies parking lot or what? :o

jmonroe
    We've kind of had that before, too. Founder had a Bentley shipped from their home in another state to the office using one of those high-end enclosed car transports. There was a Porsche and lots of other cool stuff inside.
    corvette said:

jmonroe said:

corvette said:

jmonroe
    We've kind of had that before, too. Founder had a Bentley shipped from their home in another state to the office using one of those high-end enclosed car transports. There was a Porsche and lots of other cool stuff inside.
    Figures. B)

jmonroe

@ab348,
    When you don't make the numbers, someone's head is going to roll.
    CAP had their plant manager replaced recently, too.

@ab348,

OK, I'm not up on abbreviations. What is CAP, Canadian Auto Parts? :o

jmonroe

Chicago Assembly Plant(where the Explorer is built).

Chicago Assembly Plant(where the Explorer is built).

Thanks.

jmonroe

I get WGN Chicago on cable and am watching a live 1-hour preview from the Chicago Auto Show on the night they have a first look showing for charity. Lots of guys in tuxedos and women in evening gowns. It looks like quite the experience with lots of car-related stuff in addition to just looking at the cars, plus lots of food and drink. The WGN hosts are good too, and include John Davis of Motorweek.

ab348 said:

The WGN hosts are good too, and include John Davis of Motorweek.

I remember watching Motorweek on PBS as a kid. Glad to know it's still around.
    Philly car show opens tomorrow, and the Friday before they always do a black tie gala to raise money for charity. Lots of big money people at that!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    The BMW Store has a 2018 330e M Sport. It has about every option save most of the optional nannies. Estoril Blue over black, 22,600 miles, $28,684. It would make a dandy commuter, but it's too expensive to replace the Clubman and not fast enough to replace the 2er. Still a fun car, however. One of the sale guys at my store leased one for his wife. She drove it to work on the electric motor and drove home on the IC motor- averaging a bit over 75 mpg.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

The BMW Store has a 2018 330e M Sport. It has about every option save most of the optional nannies. Estoril Blue over black, 22,600 miles, $28,684. It would make a dandy commuter, but it's too expensive to replace the Clubman and not fast enough to replace the 2er. Still a fun car, however. One of the sale guys at my store leased one for his wife. She drove it to work on the electric motor and drove home on the IC motor- averaging a bit over 75 mpg.

Did you ever get to test drive the Stinger GTS, or has that fancy passed?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@ab348,

In charge of “Enterprise product line management and connectivity”. With nebulous titles like that, no wonder they don’t know what they’re doing.

Sounds like they need some heads to roll at that Chicago plant too. The little I’ve read about that fiasco just screams mis-management or employee sabotage.

I hope they booted the executive who green lighted the DCG Focus/Fiesta rollout.

edited February 2020
    @covette,
    You can watch lots of old episodes of Motoweek on Youtube.
    Here is one about some obscure vans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gli--lb5Gmg

Another one including AWD Mercury Topaz:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56R0xo-puws
    edited February 2020
    sounds like a nice car. and rare to see a rear wheel drive in an area that gets snow (very hard to find around here). Would be nicer with the tan or especially brown interior though.

edit: Vroom for some reason has a ton of these. I particularly like this one. My favorite color combo. and there is one picture of the odometer, which happens to also show the MPG monitor, which is sitting at 54.4 MPG. Not too shabby.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/801900095/overview/?isShippableInsideSearchRadius

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited February 2020
    I love the old Motorweek episodes on YT. I have spent many hours wasting time watching them

Wife thinks I’m certifiable lol.

The zero to 60 times crack me up... “0 to 60 comes in at a quite respectable 9.8 seconds”.

Today that same comment would be... “0 to 60 comes in at a pathetic 9.8 seconds”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@ab348,

Well, he is very well-regarded outside of the company, apparently a real car guy. At only 53 years of age he is far too young to "retire". I imagine he would be a boon to an outfit like Tesla, or even GM, given what he knows about Ford's future plans in the EV market and elsewhere. If it is truly a retirement then I suspect non-compete clauses would be limited. If he got a large golden parachute that may be different.

A leadership duo of Hackett and Farley would make me dump my Ford stock if I had any.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

sounds like a nice car. and rare to see a rear wheel drive in an area that gets snow (very hard to find around here). Would be nicer with the tan or especially brown interior though.

edit: Vroom for some reason has a ton of these. I particularly like this one. My favorite color combo. and there is one picture of the odometer, which happens to also show the MPG monitor, which is sitting at 54.4 MPG. Not too shabby.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/801900095/overview/?isShippableInsideSearchRadius

I like that one @stickguy!

I imagine they leased really well with incentives, so there are plenty of them coming off lease around now.

Sort of like @roadburner, I am intrigued by them but not quite the size I want for my commuter/kid car and not quite fun enough for the fun car.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Michaell said:

Did you ever get to test drive the Stinger GTS, or has that fancy passed?
    I haven't had a chance to drive over to the dealer I've been talking with. I'll be in the vicinity for a conference next week and I hope to be able to stop by.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    Those old Motorweeks are great historical documents, fun to watch.

Funny thing, I happened upon one of those Mitsu vans just yesterday:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1988-mitsubishi-van/7069368997.html

Either these or the Nissan were the subject of a massive buyback IIRC, where the vehicles were scrapped. I think it was the Nissan.

AWD Tempo would be a nice mate with an AWD Camry and AWD Pontiac 6000 - adventurous times.