Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2020 Civic vs Accord

sweetieblazwesweetieblazwe Member Posts: 5
edited February 2020 in Honda
I'm planning to replace my 1997 Honda Accord LX this spring. I bought it used more than 10 years ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Really the only reason I'm replacing it is because the AC doesn't work and having already replaced it once, I don't want to make such an expensive repair a second time when something else could go after that and then it just starts to get really expensive to maintain it.

Anyway, my question is simple. I've been looking pretty much exclusively at the Accord LX's, which are listed at just above 23k. I would like to add heated seats and a moonroof but that will increase the cost a bit, although none of the cars listed online that I've seen have those options to give me an idea of what the cost will actually be. Today I saw a 4-door Civic EX Sedan with both moonroof and front heated seats for the exact price that the Accords are selling for. It made me start to think maybe I've eliminated the Civic as an option too hastily. I've seen some articles online comparing the Accord and Civic and concluding the Accord is the better choice. I'd like to get some real user opinions. There was a post from 2008 on this topic but I'm curious if there are some more up to date views on the question. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

I'm planning to replace my 1997 Honda Accord LX this spring. I bought it used more than 10 years ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Really the only reason I'm replacing it is because the AC doesn't work and having already replaced it once, I don't want to make such an expensive repair a second time when something else could go after that and then it just starts to get really expensive to maintain it.

Anyway, my question is simple. I've been looking pretty much exclusively at the Accord LX's, which are listed at just above 23k. I would like to add heated seats and a moonroof but that will increase the cost a bit, although none of the cars listed online that I've seen have those options to give me an idea of what the cost will actually be. Today I saw a 4-door Civic EX Sedan with both moonroof and front heated seats for the exact price that the Accords are selling for. It made me start to think maybe I've eliminated the Civic as an option too hastily. I've seen some articles online comparing the Accord and Civic and concluding the Accord is the better choice. I'd like to get some real user opinions. There was a post from 2008 on this topic but I'm curious if there are some more up to date views on the question. Thanks.

The new Civic is much closer in size/equipment to your '97 Accord, than a new Accord would be.

Accords are huge, compared to the older models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks. I do actually like the smaller size. What about how the two drive? (Of course I will do a test drive when I go to the dealer.) Most importantly, how do you think the Civic compares to the Accord long term with respect to safety and maintenance record.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Thanks. I do actually like the smaller size. What about how the two drive? (Of course I will do a test drive when I go to the dealer.) Most importantly, how do you think the Civic compares to the Accord long term with respect to safety and maintenance record.

I'd say they are about equal in safety and maintenence costs.

Our opinions on test drives won't matter much to you; everybody focuses on different things.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Thanks.