Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited February 2020
    driver100 said:

I have dreams about being able to do that.
    Nice reviews, a lot of useful information in a short review.
    btw, I don't hear any rattles in a 7 year old C250, and all the panels line up perfectly.

My Malibu has no rattles. My 2008 Cobalt has no rattles. :)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @roadburner .....Don’t get me wrong, if I were in the market for a Spring/Summer/Fall performance car, the Mustang GT with the Perf Pack and 6-speed would be at the very tippy top of that list. I think the early model year builds probably have some teething problems that will be solved. Then again, it could have been just the car I test drove with no PDI done, yet.

The Explorer looked like it had it’s PDI, though. Still, even there, if I were in the market for an SUV, the Explorer ST would be at the tippy top of that list, too. It drove more like a large sports sedan than it did an SUV. Plus, they are stuffing a lot of tech into them for the price, too.

Would love to hear your impressions of the Stinger GTS if/when you test drive.

As mentioned, when I left the Auto Show last weekend, I came away feeling might good about my Stinger purchase given what I saw from the likes of Audi S5, BMW 4xxi, etc. There was nothing quite like it, that would perform similarly, all loaded up, at anywhere near the price I purchased it for. Plus, only 6 weeks into ownership, every day I’m amazed at the build quality, adaptive suspension, performance, and the high quality of materials used in it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Still planning to offload the TLX at some point?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498

It's either a headlight dimmer switch on driver's floor OR a starter switch.

In my experience, the floor-mounted starter switch was on the right-hand side next to the hump. Dimmers were always on the left.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Back in 1999 when I got my 79 Continental it was the first and only car that I ever had with the dimmer switch on the floor. It also had another one (either above or below, I can't remember) that changed the radio presets.

The Continental was pretty advanced for 79 as it had a digital radio.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

In my experience, the floor-mounted starter switch was on the right-hand side next to the hump. Dimmers were always on the left.
    I agree that the floor starter switch was always near the gas peddle so that both could be pushed at the same time to start the car but how about this? In the early 50's my Dad had a couple Nash Ambassador's. They were boats but he liked large cars. Anyway, above and to the right of the high beam floor switch (as best as I can remember) was another floor button but when you pushed it, it changed the radio station. You could hear a motor run when the floor button was pushed. I thought that was kinda neat. How many of you guys ever saw that floor button on any other cars? I think only the upscale cars had that feature, not that anyone ever confused a Nash with an upscale car, but I'm not positive about that, although I seem to remember hearing that Packard and Cadillac had that feature.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

edited February 2020
    stickguy said:

Still planning to offload the TLX at some point?

I think so. Not in any hurry. I still love driving it! But, I don’t need two cars. It’s not really costing me anything except having the money in my pocket from selling it.
    tjc78 said:

Back in 1999 when I got my 79 Continental it was the first and only car that I ever had with the dimmer switch on the floor. It also had another one (either above or below, I can't remember) that changed the radio presets.

I give. What’s a QUADRASONIC tape player?
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    ronsteve said:

houdini1 said:

fintail said:

In some US citiesn it is decent anyway, and "decent" might be relative to places with names like Spittoon Junction and Tabacky Corner.

Also less of an "I got mine, you can go to hell" mentality in some other cultures, too.

In major US cities there is decent mass transit. One thing to remember is that Europe is much more densely populated than the US. (190 per square mile vs 87, 41 states have lower population densities than Europe) and their metropolitan areas tend to be more condensed than here. Plus they have more cities with populations over one million.

For decent public transportation an area has to have a critical mass in both number of people and population density. Otherwise it wouldn't be fiscally feasible to run a mass transit system. Thinly populated rural areas dont have the population to financially support such a system that a large city does.
    Kansas City has a rather large metropolitan area. On the Kansas side, specifically Johnson County, we have had buss service for some time. Not unusual to see a million dollar bus with 2 or 3 people on it. They finally have come to their senses and started using "mini busses", (vans).
    Kansas City Metro is expansive, not very densely populated, and therefore very car-dependent. Johnson County is home mainly to the rich people, many of whom wouldn't be caught dead on a bus. I remember hearing somewhere that they have more lane-miles of Interstate per capita than any other metro in the nation. Not sure if that's still the case.
    Probably true about the interstates. You are more perceptive than our local officials. It took them 10-15 years to realize no one was riding those huge buses. Either that or the kickbacks stopped.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

That was a 70s thing. Same technology as those Marantz and Sansui receivers were known for.

https://lp.reverb.com/articles/what-are-quadraphonic-records-and-how-do-i-hear-some

I was never able to find a quad 8 track to try it out before I yanked that radio and put in something modern.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Love it, that was probably like a $900 option in those much more valuable dollars. 8 track or small cassette?
    tjc78 said:

My fintail has a floor mounted headlight switch. It also has a small floor mounted pedal/actuator for the windshield washer (operates like a foot pump, not electric). It's not difficult to select the wrong one.
    driver100 said:

How many know what this is:

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited February 2020

People forget we had push button starters back in the 40's and 50's. My 51 Ford pick up had a little button on the dash, electrically operated. The ones that resembled a dimmer switch were on the floor and mechanically operated. You had to push it fairly hard with your foot.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

fintail said:

Love it, that was probably like a $900 option in those much more valuable dollars. 8 track or small cassette?

tjc78 said:

It was 8-track. I’m pretty sure in 1980 you could get that same stereo with cassette. In 79 the cassette radio wasn’t digital. Looking back they had it backwards as obviously cassette ruled the 80s.

When I was a kid, a relative had an 81 Cordoba - maybe just over 10 years old at the time, but already a beater, as this person would rather buy a $500 car, keep it for 6 months until something fails, then buy another $500 car (they also did not take the best care of their cars, so this was probably for the best). The Cordoba had a factory 8 track, which I thought seemed anachronistic for the car. I've seen 8 tracks into the early 80s in other (American) cars too - I've suspected they had a stock of old units to use up, and they were sold as cheap options.

I remember looking at a 65 LTD that had a very stock looking 8 track, I guess that's about when they hit the market.
    tjc78 said:

It was 8-track. I’m pretty sure in 1980 you could get that same stereo with cassette. In 79 the cassette radio wasn’t digital. Looking back they had it backwards as obviously cassette ruled the 80s.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    My Cutlass of course has a floor mounted dimmer switch like that. When I replaced the carpet a few years ago I even got to install that rubber grommet in the hole.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Apparently the early auto designers realized that drivers could safely multi-task and operate a foot dimmer switch, thus giving drivers one less reason for taking their hands off the steering wheel.

The floorboard area was wide open and these floor-mounted dimmer switches could be made larger and more durable.

The first US-designed autos started following the trend away from the foot-operated dimmer switch in the 1970s, as they decided to emulate the luxury European imports who were starting to put the dimmer switch on the stalk. However, the transition from the the cheap floor switch to the more expensive multi-function stalk switch usually had to wait until a major re-design of that vehicle so that a coordinated change could be made. Ultimately, the dimmer switch function would go to the stalk when a model went from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive (which happened a lot in the late 1970s and early 1980s) because the foot-well area became smaller and more cramped.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

qbrozen said:

I give. What’s a QUADRASONIC tape player?

Seriously? C'mon, man. It is 4 times better than a UNISONIC and twice as good as a DUOSONIC. Duh!
    LOL! What happened to TRISONIC?

So, 4 distinct channels on the narrow tape in those old cassettes? That had to sound relatively bad!
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Talking about gas stations......only in Florida:
    TAMPA, Fla. - In the past two weeks, five thieves have been caught siphoning large amounts of gas from Bay Area stations using stolen accounts, bogus credit cards, and hidden tanks.

Investigators say it’s a crime hidden in plain sight and a trend that could be part of a bigger fuel-theft ring

Thieves pump gas into concealed bladder tanks, inside their vehicles, then pay the expensive bill with bogus credit cards.

In Hillsborough County, someone has been locked up for fuel fraud every day this week.
    Police say these trucks can explode if they are in an accident....they are full of gas or diesel fuel.
    Why do these things happen so often down here?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

tjc78 said:

I didn't see this post untill after I made mine about the radio floor switch. That'll teach me to type faster and then walk away right after making a post because you know who wanted me to do something. I guess your Continental was an upscale car.

jmonroe

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited February 2020
    If you want to know why you don't want to allow your State to call criminal infractions (traffic cases) Civil matters, this is a good reason why:

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/835866/state-v-dahl/

Oregon has a silly Court decision making silly circular arguments that all stem from calling criminal traffic infractions "civil matters." That lowers the bar from due process and "innocent until proven guilty" to pretty much anything goes and the legislature can write laws to support other laws.

So there is a law that says the Defendant must PROVE they were not the driver if they are the owner.
    Therefore it is not a presumption on the part of the State that they were, in fact, the driver. It is presumed.
    Can you imagine an anti-gun State passing a law stating the owner of a pistol is PRESUMED to be the shooter unless you PROVE otherwise? This might be the best anti-gun lobby idea ever!

Very circular! I'm never moving into Oregon. The Court's argument wouldn't fly in California, for we have:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=19.7

Except as otherwise provided by law, all provisions of law relating to misdemeanors shall apply to infractions including, but not limited to, powers of peace officers, jurisdiction of courts, periods for commencing action and for bringing a case to trial and burden of proof.

Notice they included explicitly, "burden of proof." Traffic Courts are already rigged enough, yet the States want to rig it even more!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I guess your Continental was an upscale car.

In it's day, I'm sure it was. By the time I got it, no. It was a winter beater.

Looked just like this one (plus rust):

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

LOL! What happened to TRISONIC?

Kind of like memory, they had to keep doubling it. Next was OctaSonic, but I think that produced too much radiation to ever go into production.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @driver100,
    The answer to what the slot was so easy I didn't bother with it.
    Went with the car instead.
    Maybe it was a challenge for you? :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Now that is a barge. I can’t imagine driving one of those around locally. Like a long bed PU without the utility aspect.

I get the feeling some don't believe me when I mention a start switch on the floor. I'm not an expert...,
    but I KNOW the 1950 Studebaker I drove in my tender years had the starter switch on the floor.
    Indeed, it was depressed in that case by pushing the clutch.

I believe that other vehicles such as pickup trucks and farm trucks I drove in fields and sometimes to elevators to dump and sell the grain had their starter button on the floor. But other vehicles had the modern style of the push button on the dash--next to the manual choke? LOL

https://ebay.com/itm/STUDEBAKER-FLOOR-MOUNTED-STARTER-SWITCH-KIT-1947-54-519829-/172606987547

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    My Dad had a '59 Biuck. You started it by stepping on the gas pedal.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

tjc78 said:

I guess your Continental was an upscale car.

In it's day, I'm sure it was. By the time I got it, no. It was a winter beater.

Looked just like this one (plus rust):

I'll bet our poster buddy @oldfarmer50 will be drooling all over his keyboard when he sees that non rusted beauty.

jmonroe

venture said:

That would be very cool. But, I bet the safety zealots would have a field day with that feature, though.

I get the feeling some don't believe me when I mention a start switch on the floor. I'm not an expert...,
    but I KNOW the 1950 Studebaker I drove in my tender years had the starter switch on the floor.
    Indeed, it was depressed in that case by pushing the clutch.

I believe that other vehicles such as pickup trucks and farm trucks I drove in fields and sometimes to elevators to dump and sell the grain had their starter button on the floor. But other vehicles had the modern style of the push button on the dash--next to the manual choke? LOL

https://ebay.com/itm/STUDEBAKER-FLOOR-MOUNTED-STARTER-SWITCH-KIT-1947-54-519829-/172606987547

Now that's a floorboard that @oldfarmer50 won't drool over but he'll feel right at home with it. :'(

jmonroe

I just realized why the left side of the clutch pedal is worn out. :o

I just realized why the left side of the clutch pedal is worn out. :o

And we're all proud of you.

jmonroe

edited February 2020

venture said:

That would be very cool. But, I bet the safety zealots would have a field day with that feature, though.
    The safety zealots have a field day all the time, whether it makes sense or not.
    Those floorboard pedals must have let in some pretty chilly drafts in the winter. Probably some water too if going through puddles.

edited February 2020
    It was, as they say these days, a different time. You know, walking uphill both ways to school and all that.

I did much of it, but it doesn't matter a whit, especially these days.

Ask Fintail -- he'll tell you all about it.
    "The time that the floor fell out of my car
    When I put the clutch down"

I guess it was more of a real thing then.

I wonder if those plates around the pedals are later reinforcements due to deterioration of the original floor. The good old days were good in some ways and great for some people, but not good in every way.
    If I recall, the clutch pedal had to be pushed hard to make the starter switch move. I'm
    sure it was designed that way for safety so someone didn't accidentally activate just doing a
    normal clutch operation for gear change.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Four channel audio was supposed to be the Next Big Thing in the mid-'70s. 8-tracks were particularly well suited because the magnetic tape was wide enough to contain four discrete tracks. LPs, cassettes, and FM radios had to settle for "matrixed" four channel which was encoded into two channels and decoded by the receiver or tape player. It never really caught on, although a friend had a 1972 454 SS Chevelle with an aftermarket quadrophonic 8-track player. I remember listening to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" on that setup- lots of ping ponging vocals, instruments, and similar special effects.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

driver100 said:

stickguy
    it is the slot where the tongue of a bumper jack goes. On a 1975ish Camaro

That is what I thought, but it has been a long time since I changed a tire....... AAA has done that for awhile now, though I changed many tires a long time ago.

Good try Explorer....you flunked.

High beam switch. Am I really that old?
    If you were really old you’d think it was the starter button.👨‍🦳

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    To what purpose? Are people in your state blowing themselves up? Sounds like a politician looking to keep some relevance .

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

To what purpose? Are people in your state blowing themselves up? Sounds like a politician looking to keep some relevance .
    I'm guessing it's an attempt at job creation. Not that it will actually create any good jobs, or as many jobs as the authors might have you believe.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    edited February 2020
    stickguy said:

Now that is a barge. I can’t imagine driving one of those around locally. Like a long bed PU without the utility aspect.

I drove it from our area to KOP up the Surekill everyday. At least gas was cheap then!!

It was the perfect battle cruiser for that commute. I've probably told the story before, but I was stopped in traffic and a first generation Altima was reaching down for something and really ...no REALLY slammed into the back of me.

Altima was creamed. Fluids everywhere, both bags blown, windshield broken, even one of the tires was popped. The old Lincoln was not even marked! The guy was in complete dis-belief!

Same thing happened to the relative I mentioned with the Cordoba. She had a Mark IV at the time, a pretty blue on white car that no doubt set her back no more than $500 (ca. 1994), and was rear-ended by a Geo Prizm at some speed. The Prizm was smashed, hood crumpled, not able to be driven. Lincoln didn't have a (new) visible scratch on it, although IIRC she suspected frame damage as I think she later mentioned it drove a little differently - but on a car like that, who knows what was there already.
    tjc78 said:

Altima was creamed. Fluids everywhere, both bags blown, windshield broken, even one of the tires was popped. The old Lincoln was not even marked! The guy was in complete dis-belief!

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

Every so often some pol in NJ proposes doing away with the no self serve rule, and lots of people go nuts. I think it is great. I don’t want to have to get out and pump, especially when it’s cold out. So what if occasionally I have to wait an extra minute for the attendant?

I also won’t use a regular credit card at the pump. I pay cash unless it’s at a bespoke station for one of my cards (Exxon Mobil Sunoco or shell, most of which sadly no longer exist around me).

My main beef would be that it would raise gas prices to pay the wages of these pump jockeys. Plus there is no way I'm going to let them pump gas into my bike, that's a whole pipe of a different color.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

stickguy

That is what I thought, but it has been a long time since I changed a tire....... AAA has done that for awhile now, though I changed many tires a long time ago.

driver100 said:

stickguy

Nope as was mentioned before it's in the wrong position to be a starter button.

I don't want some unknown person putting gas in my vehicle.

@snakeweasel,
    I guess you will have to bring a portable tank to fill up with fuel for your bike, then just fill it up yourself from that tank.

Maybe so they can say they created 20k jobs.

edited February 2020
    Sounds similar to periodic chatter up here about self-checkouts in supermarkets and big-box stores. There is an element that agitates for either legislation banning them or at least encouraging people to never use them, using the "job elimination - bad" and "bigger profits - bad" argument. I usually prefer them because my shopping tends to be a few things at a time and it is far more convenient as you almost never have to stand in line listening to inane chit-chat between the clerk and the customers ahead, watching some people count out change or otherwise acting surprised that they have to pay, etc.

they are pretty slow though, for a lot of people, compared to a real cashier. I bet that one good cashier can process as fast as 3-4 self check lanes. 7-8 if they work at Aldis.

plus you need someone to run around fixing all the screw ups and resetting the self checks. Better just have them running the register instead.