Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited February 2020
    Not sure I was ever a fan.

I think if you were a young kid in the 80's you are more inclined to like the music.

My wife is younger than me and hates most of it, but loves 70's stuff since that is what her Parent's listed to.

Good one hit wonder tune there!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    We went to a benefit a couple weeks back. '80s Throwback Party.
    A friend of mine has a cover band, and they were playing.

But, the main draw was an '80s one-hit wonder artist that dropped in to play for about 30 minutes. (rehearsed with the band, the day before).

Anyone remember 867-5309? B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    kyfdx said:

We went to a benefit a couple weeks back. '80s Throwback Party.
    A friend of mine has a cover band, and they were playing.

But, the main draw was an '80s one-hit wonder artist that dropped in to play for about 30 minutes. (rehearsed with the band, the day before).

Anyone remember 867-5309? B)

Jenny? Sure, I knew her well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Tommy is 72 years old, but did a great job. Even threw in a Van Morrison song. Everyone knows that song..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,079
    edited February 2020
    80's music is great, at least the stuff that I like. :laughing:

This is what I'm talking about (a couple of cars to spot here as well):

https://youtu.be/nLYzfW4AkLc

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,979
    I saw Tommy Tutone perform at Disneyland in 1982.

I'm a child of the 80's - most of the music I listen to is from that era. Have started getting into darker music from the era - The Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    this kind of pop stuff was only a small part of the 80s music scene. There was a lot of good stuff. Just like the 70s wasn't all disco!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Most crank called number of all time!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell said:

I'm a child of the 80's - most of the music I listen to is from that era. Have started getting into darker music from the era - The Cure, Siouxie and the Banshees, etc.

Liked all of those "darker" '80s group. I'll throw in the Pixies for good measure. And, my all time favorite '80s band was Primal Scream!

The "pop" of the '80s? Pretty much a non-starter for me.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    @Sandy, sorry to hear about your insomnia. Got the perfect cure for that...bourbon. You'll be sleeping in no time with a smile on your face and if you do it right, the wakeup won't be too bad either. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I feel I'm fairly well rounded and aware on the music front, but being 47, I definitely have a love for some 80
    's rock bands from my youth. Two of my top favorites are touring together this summer - Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams (yes, I fully expect some friendly jabs for those choices).

My older son is a big fan of Bon Jovi too, and there's no stop in Denver on the tour...so we've bought tickets for both shows at Madison Square Garden in July. It'll be a fun trip for him and I.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

stickguy said:

well, if you wanted to sit in one, should have just asked. Salesguys can't win. If they push when you say just looking, they get grief. If they take you at your word, they get grief! But they really aren't mind readers, so I never get too perturbed if they don't read my inner thoughts.

plus, you really weren't a customer. You were just the enterprise guy killing time until your ride arrived!

but I do agree that for something like this, where you live, AWD is silly.

I was just the Enterprise guy delivering cars to the Kia store where I eventually bought my Soul. Came back later with my wife to see if she could get into it easily. Salesman probably thought we were strokes because I told him we were still shopping. I came back a week later and bought. If at any time they walked away while I was talking I would have bought elsewhere. A good salesman would have tried to make a non committed customer into a buyer even 6 months down the road. Unless he had a line of other better prospects waiting inside, he blew it.

Why a store would stock AWD models in Florida is puzzling.
    There is rain in FL. AWD works great in the wet. During a recent rain, I was limited to about 10% of the acceleration I'm used to when it is wet by driving a rental FWD Altima around instead of my Audi's.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    breld said:

I feel I'm fairly well rounded and aware on the music front, but being 47, I definitely have a love for some 80
    's rock bands from my youth. Two of my top favorites are touring together this summer - Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams (yes, I fully expect some friendly jabs for those choices).

My older son is a big fan of Bon Jovi too, and there's no stop in Denver on the tour...so we've bought tickets for both shows at Madison Square Garden in July. It'll be a fun trip for him and I.

My son didn’t know they made any music later than Tom Petty. He got to hear a lot of Zep, Who and Pink Floyd, growing up.. 🤔

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

they stock them because that is the only way Kia makes them.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

My son didn’t know they made any music later than Tom Petty. He got to hear a lot of Zep, Who and Pink Floyd, growing up.. 🤔
    This is what I grew up listening to. Plus some of the quieter stuff like James Taylor, Bill Joel, Joni Mitchell...

In fact, that's primarily what I still listen to today with Sam - and I was born in the late 80s.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    breld said:

Awesome! When in July?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Michaell said:

Liked all of those "darker" '80s group. I'll throw in the Pixies for good measure. And, my all time favorite '80s band was Primal Scream!

The "pop" of the '80s? Pretty much a non-starter for me.
    I've got the best of the Pixies album on my iPhone.

Need to add some Joy Division, as well.

80's pop - Sheena Easton? Toni Basil?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited February 2020
    So I have to visit the Kia dealership again. The Kia Finance collections agencies are relentless. They claim in over 5 years they've never had a dealership refuse a customer a "correction" to the lease return receipt.

They claim they won't go after the dealership for the $350 missing key FOB, so it costs them nothing to correct the record.

I think an in person visit is the only way this will get resolved, as the dealership ignores emails and "contact us" web inquiries/emails.

They still insist they don't choose the car's return location and having nothing to do with the dealership, to which I quipped, "so I get to choose where I return it, how about a random gas station?" Then they went into a long convoluted weak argument that included saying leaving it at the gas station would cause an "abandoned vehicle" report to go to the Police.

This has been such a waste of time!!!!! :angry:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    general piece of advice for situations like this: take your own pictures. Odometer, keys on the seat, whatever counts. Never take the word of someone that it will be fine. If you don't have in hand a signed release that everything is OK, document document document.

this is also why I don't use the drop the keys and go option at a rental place. I wait a few minutes and make them check the car in, and give me a receipt confirming I returned car, full gas, no damage, etc. Once you walk away, it is blind faith that nothing hinky is going to happen. I am not that trusting!

Michaell said:

I've got "Telefone" from Sheena on the USB stick holding my music library in the car. But for female singers, I have a lot more Blondie (Debbie Harry... swoon :sunglasses: ) and Bananarama on there.

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

I've got "Telefone" from Sheena on the USB stick holding my music library in the car. But for female singers, I have a lot more Blondie (Debbie Harry... swoon :sunglasses: ) and Bananarama on there.
    Go-Go's and the Bangles, too!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 2020
    stickguy said:

general piece of advice for situations like this: take your own pictures. Odometer, keys on the seat, whatever counts. Never take the word of someone that it will be fine. If you don't have in hand a signed release that everything is OK, document document document.

this is also why I don't use the drop the keys and go option at a rental place. I wait a few minutes and make them check the car in, and give me a receipt confirming I returned car, full gas, no damage, etc. Once you walk away, it is blind faith that nothing hinky is going to happen. I am not that trusting!

Yes, lesson learned. I took 1 photograph showing the car was there the morning I dropped it off. Next time I will take 100 photos, including KEY FOB's, and closeups showing no prior existing damage, and more. I think the only reason I didn't do more is because I had the pre-inspection bill of perfect health. Of course, that wouldn't stop someone from arguing the car was damaged AFTER the inspection, but BEFORE drop-off.

I will also insist more forcefully (because I did ask) for some form of acknowledgement on paper.

Lastly, you can avoid all this hassle by not leasing.
    corvette said:

Anyone else having the issue where it looks like there is no more mobile site - Chrome on my iPhone is pulling up the desktop site on these forums?

@tjc78

Supposedly, the fix is in... let us know.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

Yeah.. I was just starting to slide into the Corvette demographic, and then they come out with this...

haha. Right there with ya. A used C6 was starting to look good, but now it would just feel like I'm driving straight trash. LOL.
    For looks I’d prefer a C5. They’re getting cheap too. Low teens for some.
    Pop-up headlights should have stayed in the '80s.
    Lots of things should have stayed in the 80s. At least the music was good!
    Hmmmm....’80s music? I was there when it happened. Not sure I was ever a fan.

https://youtu.be/e-lwb4Pm2M4

Don’t have any idea of the lyrics, either.
    Never heard that one but it represents the bubble gum style of the time.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Anyone else having the issue where it looks like there is no more mobile site - Chrome on my iPhone is pulling up the desktop site on these forums?

@tjc78

Looks good!

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

breld said:

Awesome! When in July?
    The concerts are July 27th and 28th. We haven't finalized actual travel plans yet, but probably will be a pretty quick trip - 2-3 nights.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

@tjc78

Yes! Working for me now.
    Been attempting to work a deal for a friend on his Durango replacement. Definitely not a great leasing month. His top 2 choices are a $52k QX60 and $46k Traverse. I can’t even get to $450/mo on them. Yikes.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    What a change from rhe days when you could get $350/month leases all day on the QX60
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Maybe wait a bit. I read this week that Nissan is dumping a bunch of new money into incentives trying to revive sales. I assume that also applies to Infiniti.

ab348 said:

Maybe wait a bit. I read this week that Nissan is dumping a bunch of new money into incentives trying to revive sales. I assume that also applies to Infiniti.

I have a feeling Nissan will end up needing a bailout to survive, given their current predicament.
    So let's say the government decides to give you $100,000, but the catch is you have to buy a car, and you have to spend it before February ends, and anything you don't spend is given back to the government (in typical gov't agency fashion).

What are you buying?
    Can I buy more than one, if the total is under $100k, or is one a hard limit?
    well, if only 1, I suspect the wife would be driving a new X3 and the change would go back. We honestly aren't the types to drive something that cost in that price range. But we could get a really nice X3!

qbrozen said:

Been attempting to work a deal for a friend on his Durango replacement. Definitely not a great leasing month. His top 2 choices are a $52k QX60 and $46k Traverse. I can’t even get to $450/mo on them. Yikes.

Traverse hasn’t leased well since it was introduced.

I guess the shop has sailed on the QX. Those were a great bargain for awhile.

I check Rodo every so often to see if anything on my "short" list is suddenly a deal. so far, no. RDX is a little better than it had been, and the Santa Fe is almost OK now. There are still CRV decent deals out there, but they are still pushing 2019s!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    Gas in the oil issue helps make the CR-V cheaper.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    andres3 said:

So let's say the government decides to give you $100,000, but the catch is you have to buy a car, and you have to spend it before February ends, and anything you don't spend is given back to the government (in typical gov't agency fashion).

What are you buying?

Does it have to be new? Maybe a Hellcat or trackhawk

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

kyfdx said:

Yeah.. I was just starting to slide into the Corvette demographic, and then they come out with this...

haha. Right there with ya. A used C6 was starting to look good, but now it would just feel like I'm driving straight trash. LOL.
    For looks I’d prefer a C5. They’re getting cheap too. Low teens for some.
    Pop-up headlights should have stayed in the '80s.
    Lots of things should have stayed in the 80s. At least the music was good!
    Hmmmm....’80s music? I was there when it happened. Not sure I was ever a fan.

https://youtu.be/e-lwb4Pm2M4

Don’t have any idea of the lyrics, either.
    Never heard that one but it represents the bubble gum style of the time.
    Not sure I heard it when it was "new" but it got a lot of spins as "retro" when I worked at an alternative/modern rock station in the '90s.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    edited February 2020
    andres3 said:

What are you buying?

2020 Corvette with every option possible. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

good choice OF!

I have not seen much about the oil issue on those for a while now. I assume it either really was isolated, or they fixed it during the run so a moot point now for a new one.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    I keep seeing the issue come up more often, saying it hasn't been fixed.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    We need more data. More than 1 car, new car (I assume, as this would be a stimulus ideal), domestic car, can we add our own money to make it work?

Regarding Nissan bailout, I hope that would be a Japanese government thing, but with Nissan having operations in areas maybe sympathetic to the current regime, it could be an American government thing too.

andres3 said:

What are you buying?

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

andres3 said:

What are you buying?

2020 Corvette with every option possible. :D
    I'll go with anything that gets me to as close to the 100K limit as I can get. Then sell it in a year to get what I really want. Don't know what that is now but I'll have a whole year to think about it. Has to be worth more than any year old Vette will fetch. The way I look at this is, if someone is giving money away, why would anybody want less vs. more?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

This one

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    andres3 said:

What are you buying?

Tesla!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    M340i and Veloster N

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    No, doubt I will. Only way the Golf goes quick if something expensive needs to be done on it. If I have to put a good amount of $ into it to keep it running, then it'll stay for awhile longer. Think since it got new sneakers back in September, I'm not rushing into anything newer right now. And to be honest, if I have to wait till the 2021 models come out, not a problem. Again through today, I've driven maybe 34 miles since Monday morning. Maybe some short errands tomorrow and then work on Sunday, but that'll be it till Monday when I've got a postal retiree lunch. I've been driving about 13K/year the last few years but since I started working so close to home December 3rd, don't think I've even put 300 miles on the Golf, a really big change.
    So, no, I won't be rushing into any new purchase/lease unless I stop by that Kia dealer on Monday afternoon for a test drive and really fall madly in love with that blue SX turbo model. And not even sure I'll stop by but, I'll be closer than ever to their Federal Highway location, so why not! And like I say, I could either really like it, or really hate it. Then, we'll see. But like you, take my time on these things and the timing right now is not optimal.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

We made it up safely. It was a pleasure driving somewhere that the roads get treated. The wind kicked up some snow squalls on the OH Turnpike, but we just slowed down and made our way through. People drive for conditions up here, which really helps. Also helps that Sam was sleeping through the worst of it, so I didn't have to play his favorite game - "Daddy? Why?" - while trying to focus.

Oh, they didn't give you the SUV with bald tires?! What fun is that? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250