Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    breld said:

I feel I'm fairly well rounded and aware on the music front, but being 47, I definitely have a love for some 80
    's rock bands from my youth. Two of my top favorites are touring together this summer - Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams (yes, I fully expect some friendly jabs for those choices).

My older son is a big fan of Bon Jovi too, and there's no stop in Denver on the tour...so we've bought tickets for both shows at Madison Square Garden in July. It'll be a fun trip for him and I.

Might seem like an odd choice, but one of my favorite albums in my youth was Bon Jovi's Young Guns II soundtrack album.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I might shoot for something like an eTron. Would be interesting to try, and also could skip the tax bill for a year. :)

As for "retro" music, are any of you familiar with Postmodern Jukebox? If not, take a gander at them on Youtube. They are really fantastic, and their live shows are most certainly worth the price of admission.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Does this mythical $100,000 cap include all applicable state and local sales taxes?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    off to the car show this morning! Just a bummer that today is the coldest day of the year. It is apparently a whopping 13 degrees outside with a single digit windchill. Will need to figure out the underground tunnels again to get from the train station instead of going to the surface streets!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,645

I keep seeing the issue come up more often, saying it hasn't been fixed.

If I understand the problem it’s a function of the direct injection design. Made me wonder if all DIs were subject to the oil dilution.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    I’ve heard it happens more frequently with short trips where the engine doesn’t get hot enough to burn off the fuel in the oil.
    that seemed to be the problem. and in theory only in really cold areas. But I am not surprised if it extends to more places.

if the current models still have the problem happening, it obviously isn't fixable.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    2020 Lincoln Navigator
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @dad23,
    Your just going to write that, drop the mic and walk away? :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

In time, they're going to get more Seltos's without AWD, these early ones all seem to have it. But in South Florida, don't want or need AWD so why have it? Loses 3 to 4 miles/gallon and totally unnecessary here. And again, my time frame is a bit away any how. But the guy should've come back with keys. It was about 10 am and there were no customers in the showroom, the only folks there were waiting in the service area for their vehicles to be finished. Nice looking dealership but way across town and a bit farther than we usually go to purchase a vehicle. But, for the right vehicle for the right price, I'd drive the 10 miles or so down to Federal Highway, very close to the beach.
    Looked up the inventory of the Kia store right here in town, but their inventory is quite low also. Ramping up all the dealers inventories should take a month or two and again, my purchasing time frame is pretty far out there, unless, I get that same feeling I did when I first test drove my Golf. Really hit me hard that yes, I want this and eventually, I'll have one. I'll know when I'm dead serious when I clean out the whole car, I mean take everything out of it and only keep a 1/2 to a 1/4 amount of petrol in the tank. Went from a Tuesday till the following Thursday until I went in to sign the papers with the VW. And then I drove it home Friday after leaving work about 3 pm.
    Do think if the brand new Golf was out right now, I'd be farther along in this process by now. Once all the contenders are out in the market place, tend to drive them all back to back so as to make sure I'm 100% sure on which model and make. Then, time to sit down and try to make a deal. And then, we just do it!

Hey don't forget the Hyundai Venue. It only comes with fwd.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    @stickguy Jefferson station has lots of signs to walk straight into the convention center. We only went outside to cross the street to Reading Terminal.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I think at $100k I’m buying a Chevy Silverado and a travel trailer.

Or maybe I’ll just suck it up and get a Tesla S
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Goodbye, Ol’ Paint... :'(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    kyfdx said:

I came very close to buying a ZHP back in 2007.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

For guys anyway, seems our interest in cars, music, and girls all starts around age 13 for some odd reason. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,985
    kyfdx said:

That was a great car.

You gonna use the Fit as your avatar?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

That was a great car.

You gonna use the Fit as your avatar?

That’s a good question..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

And I am not the buyer, in case anyone is curious. Did not work out this go.

Where would you have parked it? I thought the reason you had to sell the Viggen was lack of parking?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Michaell said:

Where would you have parked it? I thought the reason you had to sell the Viggen was lack of parking?
    I have acquired a garage space near my house.

Michaell said:

I have acquired a garage space near my house.
    And now it must be filled...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Not immediately. We needed some extra storage anyway. But if the right thing happened to work...

@dad23,
    Your just going to write that, drop the mic and walk away? :p

:) I was in the car, so a quick response. They’re nice, outta my price range, but would pretty much eat up my free $100k!
    2dad23,
    My bad, I didn't realize you were answering a question. :'(
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    houdini1 said:

For guys anyway, seems our interest in cars, music, and girls all starts around age 13 for some odd reason. :)

Once again I was ahead of the curve. Pretty sure it was 11 for me, surely no later than 12. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

did I miss a post about Walt selling his ZHP? or was the goodbye picture it?

did the car show today. got there later than normal so it was quite crowded. But managed to see everything my wife was (or could be) interested in. then we had cheesesteaks and beer. so overall, a good day!

my BIL saw the Lincoln Aviator on the way in. He fell in love. Of course it was a black label edition. all fancy, but an eye watering MSRP of $82K!

My wife like the XC60, Santa Fe and RDX.

other units that were interesting to me were the new Highlander (very sharp) even though bigger than we need. The Kia Stelos was very sharp. Small though. I did like the Ranger. Will have to think more on other models.

we did confirm that a 3 row, 190"+ CUV is more than we need

2dad23,
    My bad, I didn't realize you were answering a question. :'(

All good, it looked a little random...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    stickguy said:

did I miss a post about Walt selling his ZHP? or was the goodbye picture it?

I thought meant it was going out to get repainted. :open_mouth:

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

did the car show today. got there later than normal so it was quite crowded. But managed to see everything my wife was (or could be) interested in. then we had cheesesteaks and beer. so overall, a good day!

my BIL saw the Lincoln Aviator on the way in. He fell in love. Of course it was a black label edition. all fancy, but an eye watering MSRP of $82K!

My wife like the XC60, Santa Fe and RDX.

other units that were interesting to me were the new Highlander (very sharp) even though bigger than we need. The Kia Stelos was very sharp. Small though. I did like the Ranger. Will have to think more on other models.

we did confirm that a 3 row, 190"+ CUV is more than we need

If I was in the market for a SUV, from the pics and reviews I have seen I would wait for the Genesis GV80.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    The Seltos just overall looks better than it's Hyundai cousin, the Venue. If it drives as good as it looks, and if I get that immediate gin, I'll know this is the one. After that postal lunch on Monday, think I'll swing over to that Kia store and get a test drive. No SX turbo's without AWD yet which is a good thing as just not ready to pull the trigger yet. But since I'll be east of 95, might as well stop over and try one. If I hat it, then so be it. And, well, if I love it...then I'll wait a bit. But I'll know what m new benchmark is.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

The Stelos was up on a display so did not get into one (unless they had one on the floor I missed) but it did look sharp.

and there will NOT be any FWD turbos. Kia only makes one FWD version, a base engine S low option model. Maybe in future model years they will do more, but for now, everything optioned up or with the Turbo engine will have AWD. Might be overkill in FLA, but not actually a bad thing to have if you like it otherwise.

The Venue is FWD only, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

The Venue is FWD only, right?

yes. and no HiPo engine option.

edited February 2020
    stickguy said:

The Stelos was up on a display so did not get into one (unless they had one on the floor I missed) but it did look sharp.

and there will NOT be any FWD turbos. Kia only makes one FWD version, a base engine S low option model. Maybe in future model years they will do more, but for now, everything optioned up or with the Turbo engine will have AWD. Might be overkill in FLA, but not actually a bad thing to have if you like it otherwise.

I’m puzzled by the engine selections on the Stelos. It looks like it has the same engines as my Soul...a 2.0L NA and a 1.6L turbo.

In my car the 2.0L puts out 161hp and the turbo puts out 201hp.

In this chart from a Kia dealer I found on line the HP ratings for the Stelos are lower, 146 and 175 respectively. I wonder why. Maybe they tune it to deliver more torque.

https://www.friendlykia.com/clp-2021-kia-seltos-trim-level-comparison

This chart also indicates that a turbo engine is available on the S FWD trim level. So Sandy can have it the way he wants; FWD with a turbo.

Personally, I like the 2.0L in my Soul. Adequate power without potential expensive turbo repairs.

I’m guessing he may want more equipment than is offered on the S trim level. The turbo shouldn’t be a maintenance headache for a very long time if it’s designed properly.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . . if it’s designed properly."

That's generally the secret, often learned over decades of trial and error.

Time will tell.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I saw an Explorer ST on the road today. It looked understated, which it should as even with 400 hp it takes over five seconds to hit 60 mph. For $62k I'll take a used GC Trackhawk or a new X3 M40i.

The GC has aged really well considering it’s a relatively old design.
    I know that the target market would be very small, but I wish Jeep built a Trackhawk with more off-road capability. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Like a Wrangler Trackhawk? Or a Grand Cherokee Raptor?
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    edited February 2020
    Something followed the Acura back to PA 👀

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited February 2020
    Since Corvette started it,
    Living out the 'Vanishing Point' fantasy? :D
    corvette said:

I’m guessing he may want more equipment than is offered on the S trim level. The turbo shouldn’t be a maintenance headache for a very long time if it’s designed properly.

Then he may have to put up with AWD.