Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rust (or something else) on a brand new X1? Can you comment on these pictures please.

tomi87tomi87 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2020 in BMW
Hello!

I own a BMW X1 (2019). I park it in an underground parking lot where I live.
Recently I noticed some changes (something like smudges) on the hood and on the roof which looked like dirt so I decided to take the car to a hand car wash. After couple of hand washes, these smudges did not go away and the guys at the car wash explained that it looks like rust to them and recommended to bring the car for additional detailing (2-3 hours of work for $100 or so).

I would very much appreciate some thoughts on these pictures and whether I should get in touch with BMW and request a service under the warranty or just take the car for the detailing as recommended by the car wash guys.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Tom

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,757
    I’d guess some sort of concrete residue from water/concrete in the parking garage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    try vinegar and water to take it off. Then clay bar.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    Yep- clay bar.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271
    Clay bar then iron x
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    That looks wicked - most likely dripping in the garage leaving a strong mineral residue. I'm wondering if it caused damage to the clear coat. Can you feel it on there, or does it feel smooth?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tomi87tomi87 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all who provided their thoughts!

@xwesx -> Yes, you can feel it on the roof, but it is completely smooth on the hood. I am taking the car to BMW Service and will get back to you with an update.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    tomi87 said:

Thank you all who provided their thoughts!

@xwesx -> Yes, you can feel it on the roof, but it is completely smooth on the hood. I am taking the car to BMW Service and will get back to you with an update.

A clay bar may resolve it; the larger issue is recurrence since you are likely to continue parking in that garage. This was never an issue with your prior vehicle?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I just ordered a car cover which I hope will mitigate the damage going forward.
    Will see what happens after the detailing service is performed.
    I finally got the paint restored in a car detail shop. The total cost was ~$225.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,757
    tomi87 said:

I finally got the paint restored in a car detail shop. The total cost was ~$225.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator