Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    zzmmmommy said:

Hi, I could use some help. I have been driving a minivan for the last 15 years. I used the lemon law to get rid of 17 Pacifica and then got an 18 Pacifica. No comments :(. Now my Pacifica has been in shop for 40 days and they can't figure out why the battery keeps dying and I keep getting engine failure light. So, I am going to have to lemon law the 18 also. I love the car and realize that the Odyssey or Sienna do not have the same features in the same price point. Maybe it is time I look at an SUV- but within my budget. I want to stay under $45k (high end). I have a fully loaded Pacifica so will I be able to find anything under $40k that has all those bells and whistles AND has room for 4 kids? And, I am not even 5 feet so a yukon or any large size SUV is not an option. Any suggestions? Thanks!

As I stated recently in an above post, a CPO QX60 is a great value, IMHO. Would save you about $10k, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    zzmmmommy said:

Hi, I could use some help. I have been driving a minivan for the last 15 years. I used the lemon law to get rid of 17 Pacifica and then got an 18 Pacifica. No comments :(. Now my Pacifica has been in shop for 40 days and they can't figure out why the battery keeps dying and I keep getting engine failure light. So, I am going to have to lemon law the 18 also. I love the car and realize that the Odyssey or Sienna do not have the same features in the same price point. Maybe it is time I look at an SUV- but within my budget. I want to stay under $45k (high end). I have a fully loaded Pacifica so will I be able to find anything under $40k that has all those bells and whistles AND has room for 4 kids? And, I am not even 5 feet so a yukon or any large size SUV is not an option. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Toyota Highlander or Sequoia (if you want something really big). Toyota's long-term reliability is second only to Lexus (Toyota's luxury brand).
  • iamslangeiamslange Member Posts: 25
    I’ve been browsing around for various lease options. I’ll preface this post by saying I know leasing isn’t the ideal situation but it’s what i prefer.

I did some number crunching and I’m just trying to see if I’m on the right track before I start getting into this.

2020 Mercedes GLB $45,200 Residual is 62% .00136 Money factor I get a $559 payment

2020 Toyota Highlander $40,680 Residual 59% .00200 Money factor I get a payment of $577

Do these seem right? I know I still can bargain the price some but is my math right? Or do I need more information? No current incentives.
    iamslange said:

I’ve been browsing around for various lease options. I’ll preface this post by saying I know leasing isn’t the ideal situation but it’s what i prefer.

I did some number crunching and I’m just trying to see if I’m on the right track before I start getting into this.

2020 Mercedes GLB $45,200 Residual is 62% .00136 Money factor I get a $559 payment

2020 Toyota Highlander $40,680 Residual 59% .00200 Money factor I get a payment of $577

Do these seem right? I know I still can bargain the price some but is my math right? Or do I need more information? No current incentives.

Leases can be great deals, and sometimes better than buying. I suggest you do more reading on how they should be calculated. Yes, you need much more info. Are you basing your payment off paying MSRP for the vehicles? Have you obtained the info on any incentives? Both of those examples are terrible. You can do far far better if you are open to other options.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

iamslange said:

Leases can be great deals, and sometimes better than buying. I suggest you do more reading on how they should be calculated. Yes, you need much more info. Are you basing your payment off paying MSRP for the vehicles? Have you obtained the info on any incentives? Both of those examples are terrible. You can do far far better if you are open to other options.
    Yes I’m doing it based off msrp. I know there are ways to get my cap cost down. I was just hoping my calculations were correct based on that information.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    there are plenty of lease calculators available where you can plug in the factors and it will spit out the payment. There are also model specific topics here where you can get the numbers for each model. MF and residual is pretty straight forward. Once you have that, only real variable is the cap cost reduction and incentives, which is the way to get your payment down.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

there are plenty of lease calculators available where you can plug in the factors and it will spit out the payment. There are also model specific topics here where you can get the numbers for each model. MF and residual is pretty straight forward. Once you have that, only real variable is the cap cost reduction and incentives, which is the way to get your payment down.

Yes I came across those threads. Just need to research how to reduce the cap cost
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Doesn't it come down to what deal you can make with the various dealers in your area? I'd contact several dealers' internet operations and have them bid on your lease. You specify car, options, time, miles/year, and capital reduction (down payment), and they tell you $/month.
    You can also use a broker

• NovoEndoNovoEndo Member Posts: 9
    What would be the best bang for your buck lease (15K/year) Mid Size SUV? 3 Row SUV? Interested in getting something with heated seats, auto start, adaptive cruise control, lane assist warning/keep?
  • PRPro704PRPro704 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    Looking to purchase a pre-owned 3 Row SUV. $25K budget. Reliability and safety is important as may pass it down to young driver in 3/4 years. Must have sunroof and would be nice to have push start, keyless entry, nav. Would like opinions as I have done a fair amount of research and all the "top lists" are all over the place. TIA
    I'd go Highlander.

PRPro704 said:

Looking to purchase a pre-owned 3 Row SUV. $25K budget. Reliability and safety is important as may pass it down to young driver in 3/4 years. Must have sunroof and would be nice to have push start, keyless entry, nav. Would like opinions as I have done a fair amount of research and all the "top lists" are all over the place. TIA

If reliability is important, then Toyota and Lexus are number one. Consumer Reports, JD Power, and many other data sources all agree on that.
  • BrandegoBrandego Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    So I'm in the market to look for a new car that I will hopefully keep for a long time. I currently drive a 2017 Ford Escape which has been going strong for me for the last few years and I truly love the car. My issue is my current commute to work is about 110 miles a day, and my escape only gets about 27mpg. So I guess first question is would a Hybrid be a suitable option for the distance I drive? I see they get great mpg but my biggest fear is the reliability. The brands I'm looking into are Honda (Accord Hybrid), Hyundai (Sonata Hybrid), Ford (Escape Hybrid). I know Toyota has really ironed out all of their Hybrid systems, but I'm not a huge fan of the way their interior looks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would only consider a Toyota hybrid, Honda has never achieved the reliability that Toyota has, and other brands don't have the track record.. And I have a Ford hybrid (the Camry hybrid wasn't available at the time). I'm currently dealing with an issue with how Ford cuts down battery availability after a certain number of years. My next car may well be a Rav4 hybrid.

But 110 miles a day? That sounds like a lot of highway driving. Hybrids provide the most benefit in stop and go driving.
  • BrandegoBrandego Member Posts: 2
    texases said:

I would only consider a Toyota hybrid, Honda has never achieved the reliability that Toyota has, and other brands don't have the track record.. And I have a Ford hybrid (the Camry hybrid wasn't available at the time). I'm currently dealing with an issue with how Ford cuts down battery availability after a certain number of years. My next car may well be a Rav4 hybrid.

But 110 miles a day? That sounds like a lot of highway driving. Hybrids provide the most benefit in stop and go driving.

Currently it is alot of Highway driving, but I have the option to take city streets which cuts me down to 74 miles a day. I would take this route more often, but it takes an extra 5 min to get work, and I've also seen no benefits in my gas mileage with my escape taking this route. I would sacrifice time for better mileage, also our main Highway which I use is becoming so much more dangerous to drive.

A Prius, Corolla, or Camry hybrid would do great in that situation. But I understand the problem you have with their interiors. You might buy a Consumer Reports car buyers guide, see what meets your needs/desires. Also check out fueleconomy.gov for lots more mpg info.
    Brandego said:

Hi all,
    So I'm in the market to look for a new car that I will hopefully keep for a long time. I currently drive a 2017 Ford Escape which has been going strong for me for the last few years and I truly love the car. My issue is my current commute to work is about 110 miles a day, and my escape only gets about 27mpg. So I guess first question is would a Hybrid be a suitable option for the distance I drive? I see they get great mpg but my biggest fear is the reliability. The brands I'm looking into are Honda (Accord Hybrid), Hyundai (Sonata Hybrid), Ford (Escape Hybrid). I know Toyota has really ironed out all of their Hybrid systems, but I'm not a huge fan of the way their interior looks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toyota's long-term reliability ratings are MUCH higher than Honda, Hyundai, as and Ford, per Consumer Reports, among other data sources.
  • RadChickRadChick Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2020
    I'm looking for a new SUV to purchase and drive for the next 5-7 years. I'm currently driving a 2013 Honda CRV, and I'd like something bigger with new technology. The SUV needs to have ventilated seats (which puts me in or near the top trim of most SUVs). I want to spend less than $45k. I don't care if it has a 3rd row, but I'm not against it. I like the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Mazda CX-9. I was underwhelmed by both the 2020 Highlander and Ascent. I'm not interested in the Honda Pilot but maybe the Passport? I really liked the VW Atlas, but not sure if it's good for long term. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    A Santa Fe limited 2.0t is well under budget, drives nice, and is loaded with features. Pretty room. And will be under warranty the entire time.

The CX9 is a bit bigger, but very nice driving too.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The Honda Passport might be a good option. Reviews have been good, and yet sales I think have been slow to take off. I recently got a special $1000 dollar coupon as a current Honda owner on a new Passport, which was on top of any other incentives. The Passport Elite lists for c. $43k, but it's totally loaded—including ventilated seats. And real world my guess is that the price might be in the high 30s?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited February 2020
    Highlander Limited has the seats, priced just under $45k. What didn't you like? Just curious.

Of the rest, I'd look at the CX9.
    texases said:

Highlander Limited has the seats, priced just under $45k. What didn't you like? Just curious.

Of the rest, I'd look at the CX9.

I wanted to like it, but I just found it kind of boring.
    Well, excitement will be hard to come by in this segment. The CX9 probably handles the best, but not sure about the power.
    RadChick said:

I'm looking for a new SUV to purchase and drive for the next 5-7 years. I'm currently driving a 2013 Honda CRV, and I'd like something bigger with new technology. The SUV needs to have ventilated seats (which puts me in or near the top trim of most SUVs). I want to spend less than $45k. I don't care if it has a 3rd row, but I'm not against it. I like the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Mazda CX-9. I was underwhelmed by both the 2020 Highlander and Ascent. I'm not interested in the Honda Pilot but maybe the Passport? I really liked the VW Atlas, but not sure if it's good for long term. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

If reliability is a concern, Honda is rated only average at best. Toyota, Lexus, Mazda are the best.
    mcdawgg said:

RadChick said:

If reliability is a concern, Honda is rated only average at best. Toyota, Lexus, Mazda are the best.
    I didn’t know Mazdas were more reliable than Hondas. Thanks.
    RadChick said:

mcdawgg said:

RadChick said:

I didn’t know Mazdas were more reliable than Hondas. Thanks.
    I'd check Consumer Reports for details on the specific model. You can view at local libraries. I was surprised to see Mazda so high, but I heard Honda has been not nearly as reliable as the past. But Consumer Reports, and other data sources, said Honda only average.
  • ac2020arac2020ar Member Posts: 9
    I have a lease ending on a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4 which has been a total blast. It is a great driver's car, and handles turns extremely well. The 280 hp turbo has some fairly decent power in D mode. I have a loaded model with limited slip diff, adaptive suspension and dynamic cruise control. Seat side bolsters are very good and essential for hard cornering. One big surprise for me was the headlights which give exceptional lighting at night (bi-Xenon) and are steering responsive. By the way, no reliability problems! My dilemma now is what to replace it with.

Key criteria are:
    * must be AWD
    * good drivers car (turn handling, fast acceleration)
    * prefer upscale interior and quiet road noise because I take phone calls in the car
    * more tech the better (adaptive cruise, HUD would be very cool but doubt I would pay for it)
    * Control knob is way better than touch screens (how can you possibly focus on the road while driving and trying to reach out in a moving car to touch the screen???)
    * must lease well

Why not just get another Giulia? maybe, but it seems lease terms are not quite as stellar as when I got the 2018. I doubt I can match my same total cost (I will push for it...)

There seem to be limited options for driver's cars that meet these criteria. For example,
    WRX - would be awesome to have an AWD performance stick (almost no AWD sticks anymore) but the interior is outdated and road noise is high, unfortunately it also does not look refined
    Audis - generally lease poorly and there is no adaptive cruise until the pricey trim levels
    BMW - maybe, but at least the variety in my price range - see them everywhere (3-series, etc. are not head turners), and it seems the trim packages you have to go way up to get decent tech. Maybe a base M240i and forego the fancier tech? probably pushing out of my budget...

Seems like there is so much good tech in more mainstream cars/SUVs now that comes more standard (and therefore more affordable) - for example, almost tempted to get something like a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve AWD and save some money, which has 250 HP turbo - my concern there is it isn't a drivers car - it would meet all my other criteria but as far as handling and acceleration, although well rated in its segment, it would be a big let down from what I have now.

Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Elite - this is actually one of my top alternatives that I've found; haven't tried driving one yet (it was 2019 Motortrend car of the year). It doesn't look as sexy as a Giulia... but if everything else works out I can let that slide.

I know I'm all over the place, but that is because it seems that given AWD, at a reasonable price point you either have to choose between tech or performance.

Any other suggestions for the right sweet spot for an AWD driver's car that leases well?
    you got to my suggestion at the end. The G70 sounds like a perfect option. My son has one and I have driven it. Extremely quick and fun to drive, and loaded with goodies. Can't really speak to what the leases are doing now. If you want something a little bigger, and don't mind the badge, some good deals now on the Kia Stinger.

Might like an Acura TLX A spec SH AWD V6. not as high strung, but very comfortable, loaded with features, and quick with good handling.

I test drove a Stinger GT2 a couple years ago, it was a top candidate, but at the time the Giulia was a way better deal. I also thought the turbo lag on the Stinger was significant. But if they have good deals now, I'll definitely take a look again... By the way, the G70 and Stinger have the same engine, but as I understand the G70 is a bit faster. The Stinger does look more sporty.
    G70 is lighter so could be quicker. Was the Stinger also a 2.0t engine? Because I never noticed any turbo lag on the 3.3t. Just getting jammed back into the seat.

edited February 2020
    Currently the Acura TLX has lease incentives of $8700. The KIA Stinger has lease incentives in the $10,000 range. What were the monthly payments on your Giulia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm-D0s5eyCE&t=374s
    Looks familiar!

Pretty fair review

Hey, I just looked up the 2020 Stinger GT1 incentives and only saw 3000 lease cash, 1500 competitive incentive, and locally 500 auto show cash = total 5000. Still pretty good. Where did you get info on 10,000 incentives, can you share? Perhaps that is combined with selling price discount? (let's talk pure incentives here...)

I'll definitely check out the TLX as well, hadn't thought of that one.

FYI about the question on my Giulia payment, I'll put it this way - I got a lease score of 9.5 years, which means my average payment cost would have taken at that rate 9.5 years to pay the MSRP. That's fairly decent for a lease...

Also, any thoughts on the Infiniti Q50/Q60? been a while since I looked at those.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    ac2020ar said:

Hey, I just looked up the 2020 Stinger GT1 incentives and only saw 3000 lease cash, 1500 competitive incentive, and locally 500 auto show cash = total 5000. Still pretty good. Where did you get info on 10,000 incentives, can you share? Perhaps that is combined with selling price discount? (let's talk pure incentives here...)

I'll definitely check out the TLX as well, hadn't thought of that one.

FYI about the question on my Giulia payment, I'll put it this way - I got a lease score of 9.5 years, which means my average payment cost would have taken at that rate 9.5 years to pay the MSRP. That's fairly decent for a lease...

Also, any thoughts on the Infiniti Q50/Q60? been a while since I looked at those.

Post here for 2020 Stinger lease info:
    https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/59558/kia/stinger/2020-kia-stinger-lease-deals-and-prices#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The Q50 has a lot of features but seems a bit dated at this point, and some people don’t like the ride/handling I think. But, certainly worth trying to see if you like it. Good deals for sure on those.

• mcquistonmcquiston Member Posts: 33
    Coming off a Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring lease and while I have loved this car it's time for something new. At first I wanted something with better gas mileage (was getting 26 with the Mazda) - but I've driven all the hybrids and don't really like any of them. Now I want to get into a luxury midsize crossover - I've driven the Lexus NX (too loud), Volvo, BMW, Mercedes GLC (bad dealer experience). I've ruled out the Acura RDX (just didn't like), Audi Q5 (stiff and uncomfortable) and Infinity QX50 (poor gas mileage and visibility).

I think its down to BMW X3 xDrive 30i or the Volvo XC60 T5 or T6 Inscription - I've driven both - liked the BMW slightly better from a driving mechanics (didn't drive the Volvo T6 which I've heard is better), but I liked the Volvo interior comfort.

I like my car to have all the safety features and bells & whistles. Seems to me the Volvo is better in this regard, while you can get it on the BMW its all added on and drives up the price. Plus I understand you can't get remote start on the BMW - thats a necessity in the Northeast (although not this winter).

Really would love to hear your pros and cons of each vehicle to help me make a decision.
    you covered a lot of it. I recently got an RDX after driving the BMW and Volvo too. They are all very nice, and just have a bit different flavor. They all are well equipped and have safety features, but BMW does package theirs so depending on what you want, might have to search for it.

but they are all excellent so i say just drive each one and pick the one that you like best. And if you can't decide, base it on lease price!

we largely got the Acura because it is my wife's car and was replacing an older RDX. We also really liked the BMW, but it was more money. I liked the Volvo a lot, and would have gotten one, but she did not like a couple of things so I did not make the final cut.

Definitely between the BMW and Volvo, the Volvo aces the safety and interior aspects, while the BMW is more of a sporting drive.

• johnmorganjohnmorgan Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Interesting thread. As for me the best car should be reliable, comfortable and not so expansive B)
    All good attributes!

• Vl1969Vl1969 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am planning to upgrade my car this fall. And trying to choose between 2 models.
    Can some one help me choose.

My choices are
    2020 Forester sport or premium
    And rav4 hybrid LE.
    What should I choose?

Currently I drive 2010 Forester premium non turbo.
    I drive a lot. 500 miles a week.
    My current fozy has 160k on it in 10years.
    I am the original owner.
    Thanks
    edited April 2020
    As much as I like Foresters (my son has a 2007 that he got in 2009), the current version has had some oil consumption issues. I'm personally heavily considering the Rav4 hybrid, along with the Mazda CX-5.

Here's some info on the complaints:
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru/Forester/
    edited April 2020
    Vl1969 said:

Hello, I am planning to upgrade my car this fall. And trying to choose between 2 models.

My choices are
    And rav4 hybrid LE.
    What should I choose?

I am the original owner.
    Thanks

500 miles a week x 52 weeks = about 26,000 miles a year and 260,000 over ten years.

For those kind of miles I might go with a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V. Toyota and Honda are more known for high mileage survivors that Subaru. But on the other hand, if you've liked your current Forester and haven't had significant repairs up to 160k, maybe you should reward Subaru again with your business. Another small point might be that the Subaru Forester has good rear visibility, while the RAV4 and CR-V are only so-so when it comes to rear visibility. Most SUVs have small rear windows and thick rear pillars, and that means that seeing out the back for lane changes etc. is less than ideal. Since the Forester is more a station wagon SUV it has bigger rear windows and somewhat smaller back pillars, which make for better rear visibility.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Vl1969 said:

My choices are
    And rav4 hybrid LE.
    What should I choose?

I am the original owner.
    Thanks

In case you didn't know, the CR-V is available as a hybrid now. Might want to compare it to the RAV4 hybrid.
    backy said:

Vl1969 said:

My choices are
    And rav4 hybrid LE.
    What should I choose?

I am the original owner.
    Thanks

In case you didn't know, the CR-V is available as a hybrid now. Might want to compare it to the RAV4 hybrid.
    Compare long-term reliability, if that's important to you. Hint : Honda has the worst reliability of the 3.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    mcdawgg said:

backy said:

Vl1969 said:

My choices are
    And rav4 hybrid LE.
    What should I choose?

I am the original owner.
    Thanks

Compare long-term reliability, if that's important to you. Hint : Honda has the worst reliability of the 3.
    Based on, what? JD Power has Honda ranked ahead of Subaru by quite a bit. But based on that study, I guess Buick is the best choice for a mass-market brand, over Toyota and all the rest. ;)

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study
  • co1212co1212 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to either lease a new midsize luxury SUV or purchase a used late model under warranty. Does not have to have a 3rd row. Looking for good reliability, even if under warranty. Also would like to have apple car play, and heads up display. Is it usually better financially to lease new or purchase used if plan on keeping it about 3 years and driving about 10k miles/year? And which suv's are offering the best 'deal's' right now?
  • pacificaspacificas Member Posts: 10
    Can you help? I'd like to lease a new SUV or minivan. Must have 360 degree bird eye view camera. Monthly payment must be below $400, all taxes and fees included in monthly payment, $0 drive off, no MSDs, 36 months, 12,000 miles, zip 90503.