Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

So, are internet sales dept.'s a thing of the past?

SlimmSlimm Member Posts: 3
edited February 2020 in General
I bought a vehicle in 2017 and did all my business online. I got out-the-door prices from several dealers. A couple were fakers, who just wanted to get me in to talk with a salesman, but most were legit.

Now I called a dozen dealers (four manufacturers) and only got one that seemed like a legitimate internet sales dept. Others were like "Er, um, yeah. We have internet sales. Would you like to make an appointment to meet with a salesperson?". Some said they had no idea what I was talking about, and by the way they said it, I actually believe them. Others told me straight-out that I would have to do the final deal on the floor.

I thought I was going crazy, but now that I've found this forum, I see that I'm not alone. I see posts from 2018 onward that say they can't find dealers who do internet sales. So I guess my question is - has anyone recently had any luck finding a legitimate internet-sales dept.? If not, were there any who would make their in-person pitch to you but let you do the rest online?

Best Answer

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    Answer ✓
    They exist. Go through something like true car and you will have the numbers up front if you want.

I was just looking at a CPO listing at a local dealer (Acura) and they are attempting an online buying experience. Can order the car (at listed price), select financing terms, and even get a trade offer right on the listing. Brings you to a “checkout” option if you want to do the deal. Showed price of the car, trade value, fees and taxes, net to finance (with finance slider options for terms). So I assume could click ok and they would get it all. Not sure what happens next, most likely they contact you to set up time to go in and finalize.

I did ask for a price at a different dealer. Was contacted immediately Via call, text and email by the internet person but did not want to talk to them just yet. But I could have worked out any details via any of those channels.

If you want totally electronic, can just buy used through a Carvana! Point click ship right to your door.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Answers

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Slimm said:

I bought a vehicle in 2017 and did all my business online. I got out-the-door prices from several dealers. A couple were fakers, who just wanted to get me in to talk with a salesman, but most were legit.

Now I called a dozen dealers (four manufacturers) and only got one that seemed like a legitimate internet sales dept. Others were like "Er, um, yeah. We have internet sales. Would you like to make an appointment to meet with a salesperson?". Some said they had no idea what I was talking about, and by the way they said it, I actually believe them. Others told me straight-out that I would have to do the final deal on the floor.

I thought I was going crazy, but now that I've found this forum, I see that I'm not alone. I see posts from 2018 onward that say they can't find dealers who do internet sales. So I guess my question is - has anyone recently had any luck finding a legitimate internet-sales dept.? If not, were there any who would make their in-person pitch to you but let you do the rest online?

Did you try going just through the web sites? I wouldn't call.
  • SlimmSlimm Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2020
    texases said:

Slimm said:

Did you try going just through the web sites? I wouldn't call.
    I'll try that. I just really wanted to talk to someone in internet sales to confirm that I could eventually finalize without the face-to-face. I can try that via email.

• SlimmSlimm Member Posts: 3
    stickguy said:

They exist. Go through something like true car and you will have the numbers up front if you want.

I was just looking at a CPO listing at a local dealer (Acura) and they are attempting an online buying experience. Can order the car (at listed price), select financing terms, and even get a trade offer right on the listing. Brings you to a “checkout” option if you want to do the deal. Showed price of the car, trade value, fees and taxes, net to finance (with finance slider options for terms). So I assume could click ok and they would get it all. Not sure what happens next, most likely they contact you to set up time to go in and finalize.

I did ask for a price at a different dealer. Was contacted immediately Via call, text and email by the internet person but did not want to talk to them just yet. But I could have worked out any details via any of those channels.

If you want totally electronic, can just buy used through a Carvana! Point click ship right to your door.

That sounds promising. I will check more dealer websites. Thank you.