Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    tjc78 said:

The Cement color works on the Charger/Challenger but that's about where it ends for me.

It's pretty popular on the Tacoma and Tundra too.

I'll say this it is better than the Khaki color.

I don't think I've ever even seen a Tundra in Quicksand. I think the Tacoma wears it better for obvious reasons ;)
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I know that Honda has an 8 year warranty on the battery pack. Sounds good to me!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Quicksand and the cement color both look great on Tacomas. I think we got the worst color (but the best deal).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    stickguy said:

I know that Honda has an 8 year warranty on the battery pack. Sounds good to me!

Well, imagine that your RDX was a hybrid. One more year and the warranty is kaput. Resale at that point would likely take a hit.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I don't think I've ever even seen a Tundra in Quicksand.

I'm walking distance to a pretty busy Toyota dealer. I've probably seen just about every variation available at one time or another.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    xwesx said:

The Cement color is definitely in right now, but not a fan on that particular vehicle...

Yeah, that's what we had on our Charger rental last fall. It worked okay on that car, but I certainly would not buy one that way unless it was one of those "the stars aligned" deals. :)
    I don't like that color either and you couldn't align all the stars and moons in our galaxy to get me to have that color on any car I have. People have heard me moan about the old mans charcoal gray on my Jenny more than a few times but that color makes my Jenny look like I paid 3 grand more just for that old mans gray color.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

I think that Khaki color works on that truck. would likely look terrible on something like a Corolla.

Call it whatever you want, but it looks like plain old non-metallic beige to me.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    That beige truck works IMO. So would cement. Trucky color for a truck, even if most of them will hang out in slapped together crowded subdivisions and faceless office campuses.

I like blue, and I have seen a few of the new RAV4 in that somewhat bright blue, which I somehow don't think suits the car.
    fintail said:

That beige truck works IMO. So would cement. Trucky color for a truck, even if most of them will hang out in slapped together crowded subdivisions and faceless office campuses.

I like blue, and I have seen a few of the new RAV4 in that somewhat bright blue, which I somehow don't think suits the car.

That’s the color of our Tacoma. It’s a popular color for a lot of pickups. I don’t really like it, but agree that it looks worse on the RAV4.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Voodoo Blue...I happen to like it on the Tacoma. That and Cement are my favorites on that truck.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I think it is fine on the truck, a truck can be fun, while IMO the RAV4 is just living Toyota's hyperbolic "fun!" "adventurous!" "exciting!" "bold!" "stylish!" claims, but I am probably jaded by awful local TV spots.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    The Toyota display at the PIT Auto Show had a number of their trucks and SUVs in the Army Green color.

I love Vodoo Blue.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Grey is good on a truck. Hides some of the dirt. That tan color would be tough to keep clean!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I think it is Blazing Blue on a 2017 model

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    edited February 2020
    tjc78 said:

The Cement color works on the Charger/Challenger but that's about where it ends for me.

It's pretty popular on the Tacoma and Tundra too.

I'll say this it is better than the Khaki color.

the Cement and Sand are my two fave colors on the Taco.

But, on a 911? Not so much. I've seen worse, but there are many many better colors for it.

And now I remember the pedestrian sedan I saw. It was a Kia Optima, shown here in the "too pale" cement color. Far worse in person than in this pic.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited February 2020
    while digging for gray vehicles, came upon this Nightfall Gray Metallic Blazer RS. I think this looks great. Not cement, but very cool on this vehicle, nonetheless.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I haven't paid much attention to the new Blazers, but that does look nice.

@jpp75's Tacoma is the cement color and it definitely suits the vehicle. I am partial to the cavalry blue (I believe that's the name) - the smoky grayish blue.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

blazer does look nice. similar to the modern steel I like on the RDX

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    You need to see one of those Blazers in person.
    I walked by one every day for several weeks, same as that one, except blue.
    They don't look as good in real life.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Another name that kind of bugs me (although not nearly as bad as Eclipse). It's not the second coming of this:

More like this:

TrailBlazer would maybe have been more accurate.
    There was an S-10 Blazer, before they renamed it TrailBlazer... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My dad had an S-10 Blazer. His last-ever GM car, if that says anything.
    fintail said:

My dad had an S-10 Blazer. His last-ever GM car, if that says anything.

My neighbors had a pair of them for over a decade, so they seemed to like them. The son still has his as a daily driver.

I'm torn on the new one, not because of the name so much, but because it is one of too many S/CUVs Chevy offers in the marketplace. And I hear Chevy is about to introduce another one.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

The Cement color is definitely in right now, but not a fan on that particular vehicle...

A woman on YouTube called "nardo" grey, as I think Audi was one of the first to offer it, "cement" gray.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    My dad's was an 85, later ones might have been better. I don't recall it ever breaking down, but even to my young eyes build and material quality seemed suspect, and my dad eventually became afraid it would roll during an evasive maneuver (probably via the warning sticker on the visor). It also ate exhaust manifold gaskets, I remember how it would kind of click until it warmed up and the metal expanded. He traded it for a Grand Caravan, and didn't look back.

Maybe Chevy is pretending to be German and finding something for any possible niche, no matter if it exists or not. I suppose this Blazer slots in between the Equinox and Traverse. Somehow, I don't find the Blazer to be terrible looking, but I know it can be loaded to hit 50K, which makes me snicker a little.
    ab348 said:

My neighbors had a pair of them for over a decade, so they seemed to like them. The son still has his as a daily driver.

I'm torn on the new one, not because of the name so much, but because it is one of too many S/CUVs Chevy offers in the marketplace. And I hear Chevy is about to introduce another one.

My dad had a K5 Blazer that he adored. My sis then had a first gen s10 Blazer with the dreadful 2.8 v6. My mom then had a 2nd gen with the really-good-for-the-time 4.3. She loved that and held it tightly for as long as she could.

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Daughter's "new" CPO '19 Jeep Compass almost became an unpunch yesterday. She went to empty her storage unit and it decided not to start after she shut it off. She called roadside, I went down there and got it started for her after fussing with it for a few mins, she cancelled roadside. She was beyond upset, her dad had just signed the papers on it the day before (they had let her take it over the weekend since he was out of town).

I went with her to the dealer, talked to the sales manager, he didn't want to undo the deal, understandable since legally they don't have to. They took it into service, reflashed the computer, and so far so good. He gave her his card and assured her he would take care of her personally if anything else happened. I do have to give this dealer credit, they have always been wonderful to us.

She was happy today when she got to take it up in the mountains and enjoy the snow. Hopefully that's the only hiccup for a while, she dealt with enough problems over the past year with the Focus.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    "[non-permissible content removed] happens"! That's what I told my daughter after her first accident in December of 2019 and that's it because [non-permissible content removed] does happen. And within a month, they'll be some new [non-permissible content removed] to replace tis coo

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

And that's exactly what did happen. She's onto moving and all the chaos that brings now. Come mid April, she'll be moving again down in Kendall by the Dadeland Mall. I hate moving and haven't done it in a long time. But within a few years, it'll be our turn. But, lots to get done before the move, like my short trip to St. Cloud.
    Being about 2:07 in the morning, my insomnia is back. And, I'm so f'ing tired as I doze at my desk.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Probably just best if I put this whole idea on the shelf, as nothing is gonna get done for the forseeable future. Tired of thinking about it and I know you guys are tired of hearing about it. The cooler weather is almost here so let's focus on that. Always nice to work when the temps are down a bit. Wear my light weight hoodie and I'm good to go. February is rapidly drawing to a close and all is good. Think we're gonna be busy the next few days which is fine by me. Just hope I get some fun vehicles to drive! Finally cleaned out the backpack and found lots of old stuff. Thinking I need to do this every Sunday as it's much lighter now. And just less "stuff" for me to lug around.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    :D I saw a post by you, at nearly 2230 hours here in Alaska, and thought, "Sandy must be feeling the insomnia again!"

I feel for ya.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    akangl said:

Daughter's "new" CPO '19 Jeep Compass almost became an unpunch yesterday. She went to empty her storage unit and it decided not to start after she shut it off. She called roadside, I went down there and got it started for her after fussing with it for a few mins, she cancelled roadside. She was beyond upset, her dad had just signed the papers on it the day before (they had let her take it over the weekend since he was out of town).

I went with her to the dealer, talked to the sales manager, he didn't want to undo the deal, understandable since legally they don't have to. They took it into service, reflashed the computer, and so far so good. He gave her his card and assured her he would take care of her personally if anything else happened. I do have to give this dealer credit, they have always been wonderful to us.

She was happy today when she got to take it up in the mountains and enjoy the snow. Hopefully that's the only hiccup for a while, she dealt with enough problems over the past year with the Focus.

I bought a new Pontiac Sunbird, manual transmission, as a commuter about a hundred years ago. :smile: The next morning it wouldn't start.

The dealer towed it and replaced a clutch switch that was bad and it was fine then. I drove it for about 2 years without another problem of any kind.

Hopefully your results are the same.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

akangl said:

What exactly did you fuss with?

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    That had to be something with the "key" fob. My car wouldn't open just now with the fob and my phone in the same pocket.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited February 2020
    akangl said:

Some may remember, but my Dodge Neon's first tow was out of my home's garage on the first morning we owned it. Wish I had never taken it back.

That was an evil omen if there ever was one.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

"[non-permissible content removed] happens"! That's what I told my daughter after her first accident in December of 2019 and that's it because [non-permissible content removed] does happen. And within a month, they'll be some new [non-permissible content removed] to replace tis coo

Hey @Sandy, you wanna rewrite that post so that you can maintain your membership in here? :o

jmonroe

jmonroe said:

Hey @Sandy, you wanna rewrite that post so that you can maintain your membership in here? :o

jmonroe
    How do you know he didn't just type "[non-permissible content removed]" over and over? :smile:
    andres3 said:

jmonroe said:

jmonroe
    How do you know he didn't just type "[non-permissible content removed]" over and over? :smile:
    Well, I guess the only real way is to have a host rat him out but then we'd probably be into a privacy thing like Hippa.

jmonroe

I think my TLX was 2 months old when it was dead in the garage and roadside had to come. But can’t blame the car, turned out to be a defective battery. Rare, but it happens.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Kelly Blue Book really likes the new Lincoln Corsair SUV, which starts at c.$37k. The model they tested lists for c. $60k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUK8Krn0NME
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I recall in 1997, an old school friend of mine bought a pristine 1990 Caravan ES (or whatever the somewhat rare sport model was) from a local dealer. For some reason, he just had to have this van. Within 36 hours, the transmission was kaput - they actually repaired it for him without issue. The transmission on my dad's ~97 T&C took a good 6 months to go bye-bye, but he loved the van and just took it as a known issue, and moved on. It never acted up again, and he had few other issues as the miles rolled on.
    Corsair was nice. Saw one at the auto show. And they had a black label Aviator that my BIL fell in love with, and he was going to pitch it to his wife to replace her 2016 X5.

stickguy said:

blazer does look nice. similar to the modern steel I like on the RDX

You may be the perfect guy to buy my ’15 Genny since you like that color. That is what it looks like, in fact, my Genny may even look better. It’s a low mileage car (10 K miles) and it shines up nicely. As much as I’ve tried, I just don’t like the color. Should have kept the ’09 Genny that was Cabernet Red Pearl over beige but I thought I’d reward myself on my retirement so that is why I bought it. I sorta backed myself into a corner with colors because I didn’t want to get another burgundy color because I didn’t want the same color again and I didn’t want black, white, brown, blue or silver, because at the time Mrs. j’s ’12 Legacy was silver. In hindsight, I should have bought what Genesis called Parisian Gray which was a lighter color gray then the Genesis named Empire State Gray (old mans gray) that I did get. I thought the Parisian Gray looked too much like the Subie color but I was wrong. There was enough difference in shades but at the time I didn’t think so.

My neighbors across the street, both of them, liked the color on my Genny from the day they first saw it in the driveway back in June of ‘15. Most neighbors, when they talk, as the discussion ends you usually say, “see ya”. Not my neighbors, they end with saying, “any time you don’t want that car, just park it in our driveway with the keys on the seat. We’ll take care of it, no problem”.

jmonroe

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2020
    I actually kinda like the retro "Piano Key Shifter" on the new Lincoln Corsair, although I'm not sure how functional it would be. Perhaps the button keys should be a little larger?

https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-crossovers/corsair/

"PIANO KEY SHIFTER
    The streamlined design of the piano key shifter strikes a chord. When you need to switch gears, simply touch the key for Park, Drive, Neutral or Reverse and watch your selected setting illuminate."

And my local dealer actually does have one in stock with an msrp of $37k. And it looks like it has better rear visibility than most other SUVs these days.

https://www.oxmoorflm.com/inventory/new-2020-lincoln-corsair-standard-fwd-4d-sport-utility-5lmcj1c90lul04915

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    The Corsair is the Lincoln version of the Escape, right? With Nautilus/edge and aviator/explorer? Hard to keep up!

The Lincoln’s are styled better, and vastly better interiors. No clue if they drive differently though.

Gorgeous BMW. love the color. Similar to the blue we would get on an X3.