Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    My local dealer uses the overflow lot of a nearby hotel for storage. Must be 100 XC90 sitting there.
    tjc78 said:

You could probably lease an XC90 for less than a Telluride right now.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I went by an area MB store north of Cincy (West Chester) and they had a large number of the delivery vans sitting. I never noticed that large a number at that location and we hit there maybe every 2-3 months going to the IKEA and Microcenter computer superstore.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    @abacomike Glad to see you found some glasses for temporary use and that you mentioned your second surgery is coming up in 2 weeks. Best of luck at the surgery.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Several years ago I went with a friend when he bought a new Explorer. He wanted me to drive it after he closed the deal, and I didn’t want to spoil things, so I told him that it was nice. It wasn’t awful but I was definitely underwhelmed. I much prefer the JGC.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    The JGC is still a "truck". RWD based with a V8 available.

Let's face it 90% of the "SUVs" are just lifted mid-size sedans with cladding.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    tjc78 said:

Is the JGC still body on frame or has it gone unibody like everything else?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    pretty sure it is unibody now. but don't make me swear to it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited February 2020
    tjc78 said:

Agreed - and they serve their customers well. Majority of customers didn't need those inefficient guzzling trucks, they just wanted to sit high and feel rugged.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I thought Grand Cherokee always was unibody. My oldest brother had a Grand Wagoneer in the 80s and I think those were all body on frame. C&D says the new 2021 Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will also be body on frame using a modified Ram 1500 platform.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    edited February 2020
    tjc78 said:

You could probably lease an XC90 for less than a Telluride right now.

He had several cheaper options. XC90 wasn't one of them, though. I checked a few times and even the loaners I found would have been a little more, although with a far higher MSRP. But QX60, Traverse, MDX, and Durango all would have been cheaper, and he liked all of them (well, actually, I don't think he ever drove the MDX, despite my constant urging). But, some people want what they want.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

I went by an area MB store north of Cincy (West Chester) and they had a large number of the delivery vans sitting. I never noticed that large a number at that location and we hit there maybe every 2-3 months going to the IKEA and Microcenter computer superstore.

There probably getting prepped to become Amazon delivery vans.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    If you just look at 1 datapoint, it may be good or bad.
    There may be a few NSFW words along the way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2vX-IVlwGs
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    not a big fan there. but, most people in normal driving won't have issues with getting the power down.

• Options
    I could only watch the first few minutes of this video, pretty scary.
    Testing out autopilot on a road trip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckib1ABJ_sM
  • Options
    @stickguy,
    That's my point, you can always going to find someone who doesn't like a vehicle.
    The displeasure went well beyond that particular car, as noted it the first few minutes of the video.
    That reviewer is pretty tough on just about everything he tests.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

If you just look at 1 datapoint, it may be good or bad.
    There may be a few NSFW words along the way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2vX-IVlwGs

Bizarre review. If you dismiss the fact that they are self-admitted Honda fanboys; if you dismiss the kudos for the infortainment systems ease of use when the guy can't manage to use it properly himself; if you dismiss the raves about the comfy seats when many other reviewers did not find them particularly good; if you dismiss the loose shift lever knob; if you dismiss how many of the comments sound like they are straight out of a Honda press release; every other subsequent comment he makes ("so much torque!") has to be questioned in light of the excess cheerleading the first part of the review displays. Given that, I do have to give him a bit of credit for noting the shortcomings in the shift action and the handling shortcomings in abrupt transitions, but even then he tends to smooth those over although he does criticize it for being too soft, seeming to think it is a BMW. The hyperbole over space, infotainment and ergonomics really wears thin.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    Local dealers are offering 3/36 leases on Hyundai Ionic for $99/mo no money down. Is that a good deal?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @ab348,
    Someone else who missed the point of my post, which is you can find a negative review on just about anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

@ab348,
    Someone else who missed the point of my post, which is you can find a negative review on just about anything.

Overall, I thought the review for the Honda was pretty positive. Anything negative was more about his own view of driving it like a racing car. I think for most people the review seemed pretty positive...if I was considering one I would have taken the review as a good thing.....I don't need BMW type cornering.

The review for the Explorer was about factual things, materials used and build quality, not intangibles about the way the car felt to the reviewer so much. That review would definitely have made me compare with other similar vehicles. I came away thinking the Accord was a car I would consider...looked nice in red too.

See the way the Accord was built underneath.....made smooth for air flow and for sound deadening....that car had a lot of thought put into it.

• Options

Local dealers are offering 3/36 leases on Hyundai Ionic for $99/mo no money down. Is that a good deal?

Anything you can lease for $0 down and $99 a month is worth considering.
    Depends how much the dislikes would bother you...they would bother me.

Normal, usable design
    Intuitive controls
    Very good hybrid fuel economy
    DISLIKES
    Cramped seating space
    Plug-in range not as good as some competitors
    Normal design may bore some
    Cargo space is diminished by battery pack

• Options
    yes that is a good deal, if you want one.

• Options
    Didn't anyone here ever take a course in logic?
    One of the concepts is you should not take a single example and make it into a general rule.
    If you are really interested a broader view, you need to look at multiple examples.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the review, at least the early part before I cancelled out of boredom, because the owner had a lemon TLX if I got the letters right. Impossible, I thought, to have a car of that brand that was a lemon or not handled by the dealer or the company... Then all the criticisms of the dash layout from earlier models since Accord now has it right--that means the earlier models were not good with all kinds of flaws. But if I go to reviews of those, this will be the greatest car yet for that previous model's review. Hmmmm. All cars are perfect until the next model year? LOL

I did like the knobs that are there for the center console. That's what my Malibu 14 has.

• Options
    Still remember when our high school band broke out this song in the school auditorium, not long after it came out.
    I've even heard it played live by Chicago at a football game.
    Never appreciated how much went into the song until I watched this studio vid.
    Funny thing is, it's a bunch of Russian guys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_torOTK5qc
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2020
    From wikipedia: "According to composer Robert Lamm, the song is about trying to write a song in the middle of the night. The song's title is the time at which the song is set: 25 or 26 minutes before 4 am."

That song was originally recorded by Chicago in 1969. This one, "Get it Right Next Time" by Gerry Rafferty, is from 1979. Live in the studio, like that last video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXW-sL5gzHQ
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    that was well done.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Didn't someone on the CCBA thread get an Ioniq? It aint pretty, but for 99/month sign and drive, it has to be a steal for a transportation pod.

Speaking of "Autopilot" - ridiculously misleading name for the system, but Musk is untouchable.
  • Options
    QBrozen leased one. I think it ended up being about $160 sign and drive.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes. After everything taken into consideration, more like $144/mo with first month at signing.

The $99 deal is not really $99, as we all should know by now. Also need to know WHICH Ioniq it is. Could be hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or full electric.

In any case, they’ll say the $99 prob has some incentive you don’t qualify for, so its $129 for you. Oh, and you have to pay bank fee, dealer fee, DMV fee, tire fee, battery fee, bathroom fee, and taxes. So that’s $189 for you, Mr @oldfarmer50

Anyway, are you sure that is recent? From what I have seen, the deals died at the end of Jan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Same band does a cover of the Spencer Davis Group 1967 top ten hit "I'm a Man."
    For some reason though it's on listed on YT as: "I'm A Man - Chicago (Leonid & Friends cover)
    Chicago Transit Authority did a longer cover of "I'm a Man" in 1969 with some lyric changes so maybe the cover band is covering the cover band version? :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    they extended through end of March. I have seen ads down by me (on TV and from local dealer I have talked to in the past),

• Options
    @omarman,
    I enjoyed this live cover of 'Pick up the pieces' with new content.
    About 15 minutes long and a bit more caliente.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQQ7k30Ti4&list=RDpgQQ7k30Ti4&start_radio=1
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Kind of a fun read, taken with a very large grain of salt: ;)
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    @nyccarguy,
    Not sure which discussion to post this to.
    I'm sure you're kind of familiar with this recent hockey story.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/his-wild-nhl-story-could-be-a-disney-movie-but-for-david-ayres-one-thing-was-missing/ar-BB10qMlI?li=BBnba9I
  • Options
    edited February 2020

@ab348,

But that was hardly a negative review. It was an example of bad reviewing for sure. But I found him anything but negative. Maybe I read too many reviews of domestic brands.

Perhaps your mission to educate us on logic would be better served if you used a better example to make the point.

• Options
    suydam said:
    I am more in this category:
    But he also found people with "conscientious" characters seek out pricey models, too.
    "People with this type of personality are, as a rule, respectable, ambitious, reliable and well-organised," the statement said. "They take care of themselves and their health and often perform well at work."

But, I find this article could have a lot of flaws. People who are ambitious and who claw and fight there way to the top are probably less caring of other people, but, a lot of people who made it are very thankful and generous.
    I have been cut off by just as many hoopties as luxury cars, maybe even more.

• Options
    @ab348,
    Hopefully some day you will get the opportunity to drive a legit performance vehicle, then you might understand what the reviewer was saying.
    Honda makes great engines and the current Accord is much better than the previous generations, but the chassis can't handle the power of the 2.0.
    Reminds me of when one of my kids was managing a fleet of BMW's.
    535 6 cylinder was a very balanced vehicle, but the non M version with the 4.4 V8 was overpowered, think of your Oldsmobile with a 455 big block instead of a small block.
    I'm sure the M5 version brought everything back into balance.
  • Options
    Despite getting a flu shot last fall I now have the flu. I went to work today because I had over 30 probation revocations set in the afternoon and I didn’t want to shove them off on someone else. I finally got home feeling horrible so my wife insisted I go to the immediate care center where it was confirmed that I have Flu A. Have to stay in until Monday.
    Meh.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    that sucks. It seems that the vaccine this year was not a great mix, so more people than normal got it. Hope it isn't too bad for you. rest and hydrate.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434

Despite getting a flu shot last fall I now have the flu. I went to work today because I had over 30 probation revocations set in the afternoon and I didn’t want to shove them off on someone else. I finally got home feeling horrible so my wife insisted I go to the immediate care center where it was confirmed that I have Flu A. Have to stay in until Monday.
    Meh.

Feel better. Unfortunately yours is not an isolated incident. All 5 of us got flu shots. My wife, my daughter, & my younger son got sick with the fu.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    edited February 2020

@nyccarguy,
    Not sure which discussion to post this to.
    I'm sure you're kind of familiar with this recent hockey story.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/his-wild-nhl-story-could-be-a-disney-movie-but-for-david-ayres-one-thing-was-missing/ar-BB10qMlI?li=BBnba9I

That was incredible. What I didn’t realize when the story 1st aired is that he was the Maple Leafs “emergency goalie,” but was called to play by the opposing team.

Speaking of hockey. My older son’s state hockey tournament starts tonight in Hamden.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    edited February 2020

@ab348,
    Hopefully some day you will get the opportunity to drive a legit performance vehicle, then you might understand what the reviewer was saying.

What makes you think I haven't/don't? You assume things. You know what that does.

The problem goes back to what I said earlier. It is the example you used. While he does whine about how the chassis cannot react like a sports car would, the Accord is not a sports car. I find it odd that he seemed disappointed and surprised by that. I don't understand why he expected anything different. And he loves it otherwise. It is not a negative review by any means. His fanboy predisposition prevents that from ever happening.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2020

Meh.

Feel better, RB. I sure hope my 65+ flu shot fares better. I have COPD which causes pneumonia in my case when I get an upper respiratory virus and I end up in the hospital as a result.

This corona virus pandemic is very scary. I have already changed my daily routine - no movie theaters, no casinos, I shop very early in the mornings on Sundays, I walk in the mall between 9:00 and 10:30 weekdays to avoid crowds, no eating out, etc. I am trying to limit my interaction with other people until this virus ebbs in the spring.

Down here, we get visiting vacationers who bring with them their viruses and germs. Better safe than sorry.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I am the only one in our house to get the flu shot. My son had the flu last week and a fever over 100 from Sat night through Thurs night, so pretty bad. Nobody else in the house got it. Go figure.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    that sucks @roadburner ! Feel better soon.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170

Meh.

hope you got antivirals-- Tamiflu or other

Tom...
  • Options
    Thanks all; I feel much better today. I was given XOFLUZA; one two tablet dose and you are done. I really feel bad about going to work yesterday, I just thought I had a bad cold. If I had known it was the flu I would have stayed home.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    @abacomike
    The media is trying to make the coronavirus sound scarier than it is for this country. In reality the ordinary flu viruses pose a greater threat right now. The travel precautions will hopefully reduce the import. My sister-in-law as a head flight attendance for an airlines with heavy international traffic is at much greater risk.

I recall in 2010 or so when the local communities made everyone aware of what do to do reduce the spread of flu. The media was having a ball predicting the pandemic coming of whatever flu it was. The schools sent home CDs because tax money had been given to them to try to educate folks. The schools asked students to bring hand sanitizers and tissues to prevent the then coming pandemic.

There are a lot of flu cases here this year. They are especially threatening to us older folks because of the ancillary problems we develop with the flu. Most people I know had the senior dose flu shots. The mild weather this year in a strip we're in through the midwest has made the climate more amenable to people spreading viruses. The cold snap we're having right now will help with the cold dry air not carrying the droplets that spread from sneezes, e.g..

So I've been being more careful for a month and more. I wash my hands frequently. I have sanitizer wipes in my Cobalt to use after visiting stores. I use the sanitizers on the cart handles. I take hold of double door handles using the bottom on the left in an awkward grip where most people don't take hold of the business door handles in that manner. I go to stores at times when traffic is lower. My doctor and I joked last year about how Kroger sounded like a hospital ward with all the folks coughing and sneezing launching virus-filled droplets into the air. So I avoid the germy air.

I'm worried about my barber who's leaving on a cruise (Ft Lauderdale IIRC) for several days. A closed petri dish or folks spreading the regular flu viruses... She says she's a germ wiper using the sanitizers to wipe everything when they travel, when I told her my concern for her health.

I had to find her when my previous barber got older and lost competence--I guess instead of marbles, I'd say he lost his shears.

• Options

Thanks all; I feel much better today. I was given XOFLUZA; one two tablet dose and you are done. I really feel bad about going to work yesterday, I just thought I had a bad cold. If I had known it was the flu I would have stayed home.

Glad you're getting better. Did you have to go in to the doctor office for a prescription, or did the doctor offer one based on symptoms by phone?