Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    The X3 guy is a dope. It a run flat, right? they go 50 miles or so, correct? I would have bought a 12V compressor and kept topping it off to get it as close to home as possible.

Also why on earth would you spend $320 for the wrong tire? At that point may as well lose the wages for the day.. and I find it suspect he lost the wages. I'm sure at a 200K / year job that either you have plenty of vaca time OR you are pretty high up in the food chain that keeping in contact is enough for a few hours.

IMO that rant is totally unwarranted.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited March 2020
    You can get a compact spare as an option on a BMW X3. If you option up an X3 to around the level of a RDX Tech with SH-AWD it does seem like the msrp is around 10k more than the Acura, although probably the BMW with these options has some stuff the Acura doesn't have. Plus it's a BMW.

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/series

"2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i
    MSRP AS BUILT $54,175
    Base MSRP 2020 X3 xDrive30i$43,950
    Phytonic Blue Metallic $550
    Oyster Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching $1,450
    Driving Assistance Package $500
    Driving Assistance Plus Package $1,700
    Premium Package $5,000
    Harman Kardon surround sound system $875
    Space-saver spare $150
    Destination & Handling $995
    Total Price (MSRP) $55,170"
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    It’s valid scenario. Too far to go on a run flat. But he should have just gone to dealer once it turned out the tire shop couldn’t help.

And a spare is an option on the current X3. Same for the TLX, which is why I have one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The X3 compArable to a tech RDX stickers for right around 50. That one you did has a bunch of extra stuff like virtual dash, HUD, etc.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    ronsteve said:

I’m not too impressed with the tire under the chassis arrangement. If you drive where it’s wet or salty the whole thing is rusted by the time you need it.

That's old school truck based SUV stuff right there. Not what you expect in 2020 from Acura.
    Yep. Reminds me of my brother's former Ranger pickup. Up here in the salt belt they all succumb to rear frame rot if not rustproofed religiously. He had a way of telling which ones he saw on the road were afflicted - if the spare tire was invisible from behind, that meant the assembly had fallen off the frame due to rustout.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

tjc78 said:

The X3 guy is a dope. It a run flat, right? they go 50 miles or so, correct? I would have bought a 12V compressor and kept topping it off to get it as close to home as possible.

Also why on earth would you spend $320 for the wrong tire? At that point may as well lose the wages for the day.. and I find it suspect he lost the wages. I'm sure at a 200K / year job that either you have plenty of vaca time OR you are pretty high up in the food chain that keeping in contact is enough for a few hours.

IMO that rant is totally unwarranted.

Or he could have saved a ton of money by renting a car to get home after having roadside assistance dropping his vehicle at the dealership.

Exactly. There just had to be a better way. I don’t get it!!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Oh I'd buy that.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Hell, could buy a lower-mileage and newer MGM, HD suspension kit, and supercharger kit for less.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    edited March 2020
    But then it would not be a Marauder. It would a Fauxrauder.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    LOL. Nobody cares. Well, alright, a few care, but regardless of what a few people seem to think, it ain't collectible.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I saw a Dodge Shadow ES on the road this AM. In very good condition. I remember that car being advertised for $8,995 when it 1st came out.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Freebie 3 Series (nearly identical to the last BMW I owned).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5odsulnpoo
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Would
    qbrozen said:

LOL. Nobody cares. Well, alright, a few care, but regardless of what a few people seem to think, it ain't collectible.

Collectible to the right person... maybe.

Prices on them remain pretty strong, but to your point they haven’t escalated much in the last few years. For the right example I could see 12-15K max. I’ve seen many advertised for $25k. At that point not worth it.

If you want to build a “performance” Panther you are usually better off starting with a P71 Vic anyway which are a dime a dozen still.

I'd rather have the 50 y-o Marauder that recently sold on BaT for not much more money.

depends if you want a classic to take to shows, or a car you can drive pretty much anytime anyplace you want.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    What a tool. Reminds me of the creative accounting Tesla used to hype the Model S, claiming time spent at a gas station is worth $100/hour.

I bet he doesn't signal, either. I am also suspicious of anyone who repeatedly types out "dollars".
    benjaminh said:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917185

"06-13-2016, 06:36 AM Warning I'm about to rant!!! My wife's bmw x3, we leave for the weekend on a roughly 300 mile trip. Sunday rolls around and we pack up and leave for home, 5 miles down the road and we get a flat. She pulls over and I go to change her tire and notice no spare or Jack equipment. Call roadside assistance they offer to tow me to a dealership so it can be fixed tomorrow. Problem is both me and the wife have to work tomorrow 300 miles away. I use the run flats go back to the hotel and book another night.. First tire shop opens at 7am, can't wait for bmw service to open at 9. So total cost for me because of no spare tire rather than 5 minutes to put on a spare.
    320 dollars for a pirelli non run flat tire which will have to be changed out for a run flat when I get back to town.
    (only tire the right size they had). Went to 3 tire shops.
    180 dollars extra night in hotel room.
    120 dollars 2 meals ordered in for 4 people.
    400 dollars wife's cancelled clients today.
    400 dollars my average 1/2 daily salary I do still have to work today!
    320 tire
    300 hotel and meals
    800 lost wages for myself and wife.
    1420 dollars for a GD flat tire that I should have been able to change and carry on."

PS Just found this: "Does the 2019 BMW x3 have a spare tire?
    The 2019 BMW X3 does not come with a spare tire because it is equipped with run flat tires."

Silver is rare, right? Most I have seen are black.

I think that linked one is maybe a tad expensive, I thought these traded closer to 10K with those miles.
    tjc78 said:

Would

qbrozen said:

Collectible to the right person... maybe.

Prices on them remain pretty strong, but to your point they haven’t escalated much in the last few years. For the right example I could see 12-15K max. I’ve seen many advertised for $25k. At that point not worth it.

If you want to build a “performance” Panther you are usually better off starting with a P71 Vic anyway which are a dime a dozen still.
    Yes the Silver is rare, but not as rare as the Burgundy and blue.

stickguy said:

depends if you want a classic to take to shows, or a car you can drive pretty much anytime anyplace you want.

Based on his description, the engine mods have made it not something he likes to drive very often.

I don't think I've ever seen a blue one, that'd be the one to have. Via the era, I wager black or grey interior.

Reminds me of the 90s Impala SS, most are black but I have seen burgundy and grey (the latter being a good color for it).
    tjc78 said:

Yes the Silver is rare, but not as rare as the Burgundy and blue.

A blue over grey one is probably less than 100 produced. There were only about 300 or so blue units in 2003

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Back and forth with the dealer - Kentucky requires a vehicle inspection on out of state cars and they won't do it unless you have a title or certificate of origin. Dealer "I don't believe we've sold any cars in Kentucky...will a certified copy work?" No... :@
    Blue on blue would have been awesome. All these years later so few blue interiors out there, faded away in the 90s.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    fintail said:

Blue on blue would have been awesome. All these years later so few blue interiors out there, faded away in the 90s.

The Accord LX the ex and I bought in '92 was dark blue with a light blue cloth interior.

IIRC, the fabric on the top of the rear seats would wash out after too much exposure to the sun. Was common with the burgundy interior.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

My mom's 93 Taurus was white on blue, kind of a medium-dark blue velour. I joked that the color combo was "government fleet car", but I liked the blue. I know blue could be optioned on S-class through 1999, but I suspect blue faded away with the new century and devotion to black and grey. MB has brought back blue dashboards and trim in a few cars, but IIRC not seating yet at least in normal models.

Michaell said:

The Accord LX the ex and I bought in '92 was dark blue with a light blue cloth interior.

IIRC, the fabric on the top of the rear seats would wash out after too much exposure to the sun. Was common with the burgundy interior.

I remember that early-2000s Buick Centurys could be had with a blue interior.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    corvette said:

Back and forth with the dealer - Kentucky requires a vehicle inspection on out of state cars and they won't do it unless you have a title or certificate of origin. Dealer "I don't believe we've sold any cars in Kentucky...will a certified copy work?" No... :@

I thought you were leasing? Isn't TFS taking care of your registration?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My 89 Town Car was blue inside. Looked great with the white exterior.

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

And, if not, then TFS should still send you all of the paperwork necessary to register the vehicle. They have dozens of leases in KY, daily.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited March 2020
    Facing a stack of almost 50 more student essay exams to grade, I decided instead to figure out if getting an Acura RDX would be worth it to me personally over a CR-V. First, although my wife loves her CR-V, and I like it and have been impressed by the bang-for-the-buck, I have to admit that whenever I'm driving the CR-V I'm usually wishing I was driving my Acura instead. Anyway, first to figure out the difference in msrp....

RDX SH-AWD Tech msrp with dest: $44,025
    CR-V Touring AWD msrp with dest: $35,870
    difference=8155

But I'd qualify for the Acura loyalty incentive, which means the difference drops to about $6.5k. And if my rough calculations are right, "leasing to buy" an RDX might cut that down to c.$5k, because the RDX has lease incentives that the CR-V doesn't have.

Ok, and so now what are various qualities and features of the RDX subjectively worth to me compared to a loaded CRV…

2.0T (272hp) vs 1.5T (190hp) + 10 speed vs. CVT+ SH-AWD vs. AWD: $3000
    Exterior style of RDX+better paint: $1500
    Better tires, nicer wheels, better brakes, better steering: $1500
    Interior comfort & style, quieter + better/nicer controls and materials: $3000
    Panoramic moonroof: $1000
    ELS sound system: $500
    Longer warranty/better service experience: $500

And so for me personally the RDX seems like it's about $11k better than a CR-V, and yet costs only c. $5k more. If you figure in higher gas costs and slightly higher insurance costs that changes things over time, but in terms of the enjoyable driving experience day by day it seems worth it. But since my wife loves her CR-V, and we've got a daughter about to start college, it's likely we'll keep the CR-V for several years. Plus it's her car anyway. Ok, back to grading....
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

And, if not, then TFS should still send you all of the paperwork necessary to register the vehicle. They have dozens of leases in KY, daily.
    US Bank lease. The dealer is taking care of the registration, but so far as I know, I still have to take it to get it inspected. Once that's done, I send the inspection form back to them and they mail in the registration. How did they handle it when you leased the Z4 a few years back?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

Oh I'd buy that.

Even with a supercharger that’s a hefty price. I’d rather start out with a NA 4.6. 4 valve and put mods on myself. You could get that same motor for a lot cheaper.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/stockton-1995-lincoln-mark-viii-30k/7078321075.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Benjamin, if you drive them there is a vastly different experience. You can compare features but that does not tell the whole story.

I will say though that at least by me, the service experience is not really any different. Other than loaner car availability, which I normally never use anyway. Especially leasing, should only need an occasional oil change and they have 1 hour express service option.

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

US Bank lease. The dealer is taking care of the registration, but so far as I know, I still have to take it to get it inspected. Once that's done, I send the inspection form back to them and they mail in the registration. How did they handle it when you leased the Z4 a few years back?
    With a new car, it generally doesn’t have to be inspected. With the MSO from a dealer, they can do the paperwork without it. (A dealer, leasing bank, or their agent). Our Tacoma was from an Ohio dealer, and the Tacoma never went to the Sheriff for inspection.

Usually, the dealer or the leasing bank will pay an agent to handle the paperwork. I’d guess they could use you as the agent, if they send you the proper paperwork. I don’t think a new car has to be inspected. All of our new cars have been purchased out of state, and no inspection.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oh I'd buy that.

Even with a supercharger that’s a hefty price. I’d rather start out with a NA 4.6. 4 valve and put mods on myself. You could get that same motor for a lot cheaper.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/stockton-1995-lincoln-mark-viii-30k/7078321075.html
    I like the Mark VIII, but come on the Marauder is way cooler.

@corvette
    I know this will be hard... but, wait for USBank to contact you. They are the entity that has to apply for the title. I’ll bet it will take care of itself

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I’d take an Impala SS or a Mark VII LSC over a Marauder.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited March 2020
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

With a new car, it generally doesn’t have to be inspected. With the MSO from a dealer, they can do the paperwork without it. (A dealer, leasing bank, or their agent). Our Tacoma was from an Ohio dealer, and the Tacoma never went to the Sheriff for inspection.

Usually, the dealer or the leasing bank will pay an agent to handle the paperwork. I’d guess they could use you as the agent, if they send you the proper paperwork. I don’t think a new car has to be inspected. All of our new cars have been purchased out of state, and no inspection.
    The dealer is the one who texted me and said I needed to go have the truck inspected. Their title clerk is supposed to be dealing with the issue with them not providing the MCO.

Passport BMW hired an agent when I bought the new 3-series, the agent was similarly clueless, and my temp tags expired before they got the necessary paperwork.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited March 2020
    tjc78 said:

Oh I'd buy that.

I’ll have to take your word for that. My interest in the GM was from a point of view of cheap luxury. Was the Marauder really that much of a performance car?

I would still like a low milage GM but the newest ones are ten years old and few have the low mileage that I covet.

This one might do. Doesn’t have the 4 valve but I wouldn’t own it for drag racing.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/d/orlando-2008-mercury-grand-marquis-ls/7084739139.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:

Oh I'd buy that.

Those Marauders never did a thing for me.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    My grandparents bought a top-of-the-line 2000 Ford Crown Vic new; it's still in the family. The car has fairly decent performance thanks to its rear LSD allowing it to move that hulk fairly well without losing traction.

I used to love that car, but now I just find it annoying.... It is this huge thing that looks like it should be very comfy with tons of room. Except, I get in there and quickly realize that modern midsize sedans offer far more passenger space. How is it possible that they made space use that poor in those cars? It's like a modern compact at twice the physical size. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited March 2020

I’d take an Impala SS or a Mark VII LSC over a Marauder.

I’m with you on the LSC, but it would have to be a late run special edition.

Like this one.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-lincoln-mark-vii-3/

tjc78 said:

Oh I'd buy that.

I’ll have to take your word for that. My interest in the GM was from a point of view of cheap luxury. Was the Marauder really that much of a performance car?

I would still like a low milage GM but the newest ones are ten years old and few have the low mileage that I covet.

This one might do. Doesn’t have the 4 valve but I wouldn’t own it for drag racing.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/d/orlando-2008-mercury-grand-marquis-ls/7084739139.html
    Let’s face it, a V6 Camry is faster than a stock Marauder. I just think it’s a cool transformation of what was a very ordinary car. To me it was better done than Impala SS.

That Merc you posted looks to have lived a hard life. Interior is dirty, drivers switch panel has the back tabs broken. It does have fog lights, so it’s probably not an ex rental.

xwesx said:

My grandparents bought a top-of-the-line 2000 Ford Crown Vic new; it's still in the family. The car has fairly decent performance thanks to its rear LSD allowing it to move that hulk fairly well without losing traction.

I used to love that car, but now I just find it annoying.... It is this huge thing that looks like it should be very comfy with tons of room. Except, I get in there and quickly realize that modern midsize sedans offer far more passenger space. How is it possible that they made space use that poor in those cars? It's like a modern compact at twice the physical size. :D

Remember it has roots from 1979. Legroom was always tight, but they are wide with tons of headroom.

Panthers are love or hate. If I needed cheap wheels I’d get another in a minute.

now this, my friends, is what a station wagon should be. I don't care for some of the interior choices, but that is fixable.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ford-fairlane/

and for the MGM crowd. Weird mix on BaT. they have this, and also a 4 banger Mustang II running.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-mercury-grand-marquis/

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Until their late 90s Sable my paternal grandparents always had a Grand Marquis.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    Great color on the BAT MGM. Usually the HPPs are fully loaded. That is missing a few options.

I think my Panther choice would be a 95-97 TC, in silvery blue with blue or light interior. I remember my first boss at my first job out of school had one, I thought it was a pretty car.