Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    It needs a headliner but that is minor compared to the 425 gas V-8 it really needs.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Definitely the gas is superior, but the diesel seems like a fun curiosity, if it runs as well as assumed by the ad. Most diesels I see are Eldos and DeVilles, a Fleetwood seems rare these days.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Like we say sometimes. It would be a good conversation piece at a show.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited March 2020
    Speaking of interesting but not insanely valuable, I took the old dear out today. I was thinking how traffic didn't seem less than usual, then remembered today is Saturday, and I tend to drive the car on Sundays - so traffic was indeed maybe half of normal. Car started right up and drove smooth, turned some heads. I revved the engine more than normal, keeping it in lower gears or just driving faster - I think it's good for the car now and then. Obligatory pic, this time in the garage as I forgot to take one outside:

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    fintail said:

Speaking of interesting but not insanely valuable, I took the old dear out today. I was thinking how traffic didn't seem less than usual, then remembered today is Saturday, and I tend to drive the car on Sundays - so traffic was indeed maybe half of normal. Car started right up and drove smooth, turned some heads. I revved the engine more than normal, keeping it in lower gears or just driving faster - I think it's good for the car now and then. Obligatory pic, this time in the garage as I forgot to take one outside:

As always, looks nice. How often, and what do you use to keep the whitewalls white? I used Brillo or SOS pads or sometimes, Fantastic. I hate dirty or dingy whitewalls.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Once or twice a year I use whitewall cleaner with a scrubber (a retired "scrunge" from my kitchen). Otherwise, I wipe them down every time I drive the car, just a few sprays of water and a cloth towel. Those tires are 7 years old now, and holding up pretty nicely.
    sda said:

As always, looks nice. How often, and what do you use to keep the whitewalls white? I used Brillo or SOS pads or sometimes, Fantastic. I hate dirty or dingy whitewalls.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

Santa Rosa mechanic arrested on grand theft charges.

The daughter was contacted 3 years after her dad's 1947 Lincoln was dropped off at the Santa Rosa shop for repairs and upgrades. “It looked better than I thought it would, but the engine is gone and the transmission is gone. My parents drove it to the shop and now it’s undriveable,” she said.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Some people are just sickening.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    "I'll take the Peacock Blue Rolls." How often in this life can one say that? After the 70s were over that is... And then adding, "Love the Turquoise leather!" Good times.

'77 Dodge Maxiwagon time capsule. Vin Plate intact with "Dodge Plymouth Fargo" and "DeSOTO" logos. I'd park the Green Machine next to the Peacock Roller and play The Tymes "It's Cool" over and over.

"For The Good Times" pours out of a '78 LTD Country Squire with a working 8 track player! Kristofferson wrote that tune just 10 years earlier. He'll turn 84 this year. Sensory overload...I already want the Maxi-Green-Machine! Steven Wright said "You can't have everything...where would you put it?"

'79 Eldorado St. Moritz Convertible with the GM engine supplied by some other GM division which isn't Cadillac. Pass. (I'd like to forget that part of the 70s.)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC sold by Ed Potter. Really nice and current bid at $36k but who knows? I kept scrolling the comments until I found the Bobby Brown reference that I knew would be there! Brock Yates neatly summed up the SEC in C&D back in the 80s. Yates remarked that it was simply a more substantial automobile in comparison to almost anything else on the market at that time. Mercedes Benz can't build a car like this one any more.
    The Eldo has an Olds 350 under the hood, I believe the same fuel-injected version used in the Seville. I want to like the car but conversions like that always concern me. You are looking at a very expensive (custom) convertible top repair/replacement and the electrical gremlins would be a worry. The carpets would need to go.

The Country Squire wagon is magnificent although as a car it was not great. However it is the last of its kind in remarkable condition so that makes it noteworthy.

fintail said:
    I like that E300 - might be an interesting car to have.

I think that our local auto museum has one of these old R&L electrics. Very neat cars, though I can't imagine why the bids are going so high on this one given the condition.

OMG. That Dodge wagon is so 1977 it is sickening. Too bad it has the 318 2bbl in it. That has to be one gutless machine!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    Crate hemi will fit if you want it to. That sounds safe!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Crate hemi will fit if you want it to. That sounds safe!

Perfectly safe, of course!
    edited March 2020
    I think someone should buy the LTD wagon and the Dodge Van so everyone could be Green with envy.

In all honesty I kinda like the wagon. Last of the run before the Panther came out. Loaded up too.

As mentioned the Eldo seriously needs new wheels and the correct carpet as mentioned. The exterior color is fantastic. I wouldn't care that is has the Olds engine. I'd rather have that than the 4100.

Love the 94 SL as well. That would be a great weekend cruiser.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    van is cool to look at and maybe be seen in once or twice, but I doubt it would be enjoyable to drive much (hence the miles it has. lol.)

With the 3-speed torqueflight, a swap may not be as easy as you think. On my Dodge, you have to modify the trans tunnel for any kind of swap (because you obviously wouldn't keep the stock tranny, unless you swap a period engine).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I wonder what that wagon will bring - not my most beloved car either, but objectively it's an amazing specimen and worthy of a high bid.

The original MSRP of that SEC gets me, that was serious money then. The market has shifted away from caring about over-engineering and timeless design. MB was at its zenith in the 80s and early 90s. Having the car mentioned in a song is key cultural relevance, although those cars still make me think of "Road House".

I don't know what it is about old money pit Rolls-Royces that attracts me. Even in peacock blue over turquoise, it is more dignified than a new Phantom.
    W210s like that E are underrated cars. Keep em away from rust, and they seem to be able to soldier on with lots of neglect, and keep moving. However, they can rust fiercely for a modern car, so they need attention.
    xwesx said:

I like that E300 - might be an interesting car to have.

I think that our local auto museum has one of these old R&L electrics. Very neat cars, though I can't imagine why the bids are going so high on this one given the condition.

OMG. That Dodge wagon is so 1977 it is sickening. Too bad it has the 318 2bbl in it. That has to be one gutless machine!

Probably one of the best ways to stand out at any cars n coffee:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-subaru-sambar/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Well, just breathe on the 318 instead. Or swap in a 360. Probably a lot simpler.

I love that Kei. Lots of cargo space too!

Sambar would be more fun with a VW conversion - this is apparently a big thing, I saw one in Vancouver a couple years ago. Oh, to have more reasonable private import laws:

Leo Marvin and Chet Ripley approve.

Nice color for that Wagoneer, too.
    Love those colors.

And love this Jeep. Not at that price of course. But would be fantastic as my spare car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-jeep-wrangler-13/

Wondering how BaT is still going? Not seeing them finishing auctions with shipping, DMV, etc. with the country rapidly being locked down. Looks like Easter now will be everyone staying home since won’t be allowed to travel in NYS.

At least if keep our jobs, saving a bundle now that will be up to 3 trips cancelled, and no recreational activities at home to spend money on.

qbrozen said:
    That one looks better than the one I posted a week or two ago.

tjc78 said:

This is pretty nice, but am I being critical that the wiring under hood looks a little scary. Lots of crimp connects, etc.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-jeep-grand-wagoneer-32/

Just went back and looked. Proud of my guess at a $25k bidding price. ;)

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    @qbrozen

"With the 3-speed torqueflight, a swap may not be as easy as you think. On my Dodge, you have to modify the trans tunnel for any kind of swap[..]"

It just blows my mind the kind of thing folks on this site know off the tops of their heads.
    This text in this piece is long and sometimes rambling, being the transcript of a speech by Frank Winchell of GM fame made at a convention in 1979, but it is really instructive regarding the Corvair, the news media, trial lawyers and Ralph Nader.

How Frank Winchell defended the Chevrolet Corvair, in his own words

I can't help it, I dig this. Yes, I know I have strange taste sometimes.

In the course of its defense, the ownership record of the Corvair by General Motors engineers and decision-makers was compiled as evidence that, at least, we thought it was OK. For example: Ed Cole, its father, had two; I had four and Chairman Murphy’s mother drove one from May 26, 1961 to Sept 8, 1970. Mrs. Murphy was 77 when it was broadsided in a parking lot and expired…. Struck down, no doubt, by another defective product. (Someone shouts “Probably a Ford!”) Right on brother.

Right on Frank! My family had 2 Corvairs in the 60s. They did leak sometimes but that's ...alright.
    qbrozen said:

I can't help it, I dig this. Yes, I know I have strange taste sometimes.

I kinda like it. and since it seems to be about as wide as a bicycle, likely no issues snaking it into the garage.

from looking at the picture of the seats all folded down, seems like a Japanese version of a shaggin wagon

Visited a friend who has some tools/equipment, tested the fintail's quirky turn signals. The turn signal regulator/actuator is receiving power, and it's a little too coincidental that both the new part and the one in the car both aren't working. I have a stronger suspicion now that the issue is with the assembly at the base of the stalk.
    edited March 2020
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

This is pretty nice, but am I being critical that the wiring under hood looks a little scary. Lots of crimp connects, etc.

Wow.... bid to $26,300, and reserve not met? That guy clearly did not want to sell the car. What a joker.
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

Wow, that’s just crazy IMO.

The blue one I posted sits at $5100 with 2 days left. How can you tell if it has a reserve when still open for bidding? I must be overlooking it somewhere.

I don’t think you can until the auction closes.

fintail said:
    Sold! For a breathtaking (hold on to your hats) $45,000! :o

wow. just, wow.

well, down the old rabbit hole!

I still regret never getting a British roadster. I guess my brief ownership of a Miata was close as I will get.

but this MGB is really pretty. Seems mechanically nice, but of course the BaT posters picked every nit underneath. But most likely, for a sunny day toy, more than fine.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-mg-mgb-18/

This, however, is the car I always really wanted from this genre. Still do!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-triumph-tr6-84/

here is one for QB. You should get your R/T back together and try to get it on here!

this is a nice clean looking contemporary.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-plymouth-gtx-4/

$45,000. Now that's a stimulus check.
    edited March 2020
    Jeez, for that money I could find a real wood woody. But I suppose that Ford is probably the best one left.
    stickguy said:

here is one for QB. You should get your R/T back together and try to get it on here!

this is a nice clean looking contemporary.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-plymouth-gtx-4/

yeah, i gotta get on that. lol.

This is an interesting build:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-volkswagen-vanagon/

that is somewhat interesting. Could have done a nicer looking interior after all that work. And wonder how much extra work and cost to upgrade to a 5 speed transaxle?

this is interesting. I assume a few people here like these.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-buick-reatta-3/

I absolutely love this. fits my weird tastes, and could be the perfect BMW toy if it is clean and well sorted as presented. Certainly less complicated than a new one!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-bmw-320i-26/

Though nothing wrong with a nice convertible. I remember looking at one (I think the next generation, so E36?) that actually had a manual top. I was fine with it, for just this reason (worried about expensive failure)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-bmw-325-34/

edited March 2020
    Just had to go to BaT

Yowza, and even a great color - shame you can't really drive it, but you'll knock their socks off at MB specific events

Pretty Ponton
    the yowza link is just to this page, not a car.

Fixed it B)