Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:
    Trade-in values mean nothing on such a vehicle. Buyer needs to decide what he/she is willing to pay. A dealer would only pay maybe $1500 for it, if that. Of course, that is a dealer. $4k?
    OK, thanks @qbrozen - I'll advise my sister accordingly.

Toyota and SoCal tax, perhaps? Or, first amendment rights with the asking price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Yep NY, I have but it's a bit too low for me and hate the egress/ingress part of the equation. And not a lover of Honda audio systems either.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    "1997 Toyota 4Runner 4 Dr STD SUV - $5,990"

Price would depend on whether that's something that will clear up with some antibiotics...
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:

@Michaell,
    That one is 2WD, so it's a Faux-Runner. :D

In SoCal, no real reason to get 4WD, but I like your word play.
    Big Bear is in SoCal, and there's some excellent off-road trails for cars there. The Alltrack explored some of them and did well, but 2WD would not have done well through the muddy melted snow low spot puddles (that were pretty deep).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

@Michaell,
    That one is 2WD, so it's a Faux-Runner. :D

In SoCal, no real reason to get 4WD, but I like your word play.
    Big Bear is in SoCal, and there's some excellent off-road trails for cars there. The Alltrack explored some of them and did well, but 2WD would not have done well through the muddy melted snow low spot puddles (that were pretty deep).
    I've been to Hungry Valley a number of times when I lived in CA. I doubt that my nephew would take it on anything more challenging than an unpaved road.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited March 2020
    Can I get an idea on this one, driving it as we speak :)

2003 4Runner SR5 RWD
    Auto
    Gray/gray
    171,000 miles
    Asking $6500

Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    dad23 said:

2003 4Runner SR5 RWD
    Auto
    Gray/gray
    171,000 miles
    Asking $6500

Thanks!

RWD in Colorado? Is that even legal? This is a v6, I assume?

Geesh, it would have to glow in the dark to even fetch $2500 at the block, so I wouldn’t go a penny more than $5k retail if it needs absolutely nothing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

dad23 said:

2003 4Runner SR5 RWD
    Auto
    Gray/gray
    171,000 miles
    Asking $6500

Thanks!

Geesh, it would have to glow in the dark to even fetch $2500 at the block, so I wouldn’t go a penny more than $5k retail if it needs absolutely nothing.
    Could be a transplant from a warm weather state...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

dad23 said:

2003 4Runner SR5 RWD
    Auto
    Gray/gray
    171,000 miles
    Asking $6500

Thanks!

Could be a transplant from a warm weather state...
    The CARFAX says it’s a Colorado, one owner car. One of the boys was with me and drove it home to show mom. Heard a lot of squealing (brakes?) when accelerating and braking and some sort of clanking noises hitting dips, pulling into driveway. It’s a one price dealer, @Michaell is familiar with them, so no negotiating.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    What is the appeal of this vehicle, exactly? The RWD in Colorado? The squealing (brakes?) & clanking noises? The 171K miles? For $6500??? Q. says $2500 "if perfect" at auction, & this thing ain't perfect.

woodyww said:

What is the appeal of this vehicle, exactly? The RWD in Colorado? The squealing (brakes?) & clanking noises? The 171K miles? For $6500??? Q. says $2500 "if perfect" at auction, & this thing ain't perfect.

That’s correct, looks great inside and out but that was it. We politely passed, even after we were told it wouldn’t last the weekend, like that’d make me a buyer.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Possible, but more likely that some sucker will pay that price for it.
    edited March 2020
    Hope I'm not coming to well too often, I'll pace myself, I promise!

2007 4Runner SR5 4WD
    White/Gray
    V6/Auto
    156k miles
    Private party - 80138
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Private party in Massachusetts

2013 Subaru Impreza hatchback sport premium
    Automatic CVT
    90K miles
    All service up to date
    heated seats/mirrors/wiper de icer
    remote start
    Weathertech floor mats
    Yakima roof rack bars
    Black/Black

Asking $9K

What do you think?
    Thank you.
    dad23 said:

2007 4Runner SR5 4WD
    White/Gray
    V6/Auto
    156k miles
    Private party - 80138

Condition condition condition.

If it glows in the dark, you could go $8k on it private party. If it has needs, start deducting.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

dillydill said:

Automatic CVT
    90K miles
    All service up to date
    remote start
    Weathertech floor mats
    Yakima roof rack bars
    Black/Black

Asking $9K

What do you think?
    Thank you.

That's quite a good price. About an $8k auction car if no runs/hits/errors.

qbrozen said:

dad23 said:

2007 4Runner SR5 4WD
    White/Gray
    V6/Auto
    156k miles
    Private party - 80138

Condition condition condition.

If it glows in the dark, you could go $8k on it private party. If it has needs, start deducting.
    Thanks @qbrozen, won't know true condition until we go look/drive it this evening :)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    edited March 2020
    Clunking on bumps is often a sign of bad bushings, which is not surprising at all for a car with 150K+ miles and/or 15+ years old. On most cars, these are all still original and most people never condition the rubber. It is not a major issue, though it is one that should be addressed.

Aging shocks can also increase the severity of the symptom if they are not quick on the recovery. It always amazes me how far people will let shocks go beyond their prime. I find no auto maintenance activity more satisfying than replacing worn shocks; it is almost like buying a new car. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    qbrozen said:

dillydill said:

Automatic CVT
    90K miles
    All service up to date
    remote start
    Weathertech floor mats
    Yakima roof rack bars
    Black/Black

Asking $9K

What do you think?
    Thank you.

That's quite a good price. About an $8k auction car if no runs/hits/errors.
    Thank you Q!
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    kyfdx said:

My wife's X3 has the heated wheel. She loves it.

xwesx said:

Clunking on bumps is often a sign of bad bushings, which is not surprising at all for a car with 150K+ miles and/or 15+ years old. On most cars, these are all still original and most people never condition the rubber. It is not a major issue, though it is one that should be addressed.

Aging shocks can also increase the severity of the symptom if they are not quick on the recovery. It always amazes me how far people will let shocks go beyond their prime. I find no auto maintenance activity more satisfying than replacing worn shocks; it is almost like buying a new car. :D

Yeah, kinda better than buying a new battery or 4 new tires. :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• cyniccynic Member Posts: 70
    Hi Q,

Can you please let me know what I can expect in a trade in value for 2017 Honda Pilot EXL AWD, Modern Steel/ Grey
    1 Owner, 34k, maintenance up to date, good condition in MN?

Thank you in advance!
    cynic said:

Hi Q,

Can you please let me know what I can expect in a trade in value for 2017 Honda Pilot EXL AWD, Modern Steel/ Grey
    1 Owner, 34k, maintenance up to date, good condition in MN?

Thank you in advance!

About $25k

• ariazariaz Member Posts: 77
    Can you tell me the trade in and retail on 2014 Lexus GS350. No F sport FWD with 84k miles. Interior is in great shape, some minor scratches on the exterior, no mechanical issues, all services up to date. New tires and battery.
    ariaz said:

Can you tell me the trade in and retail on 2014 Lexus GS350. No F sport FWD with 84k miles. Interior is in great shape, some minor scratches on the exterior, no mechanical issues, all services up to date. New tires and battery.

What is your location?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Fort Worth, Texas
    Michaell said:

ariaz said:

What is your location?
    Fort Worth, texas
    ariaz said:

Isn’t the GS RWD?
    Anyway, mid $16k range as a trade. About $20k-$21k fair retail.

qbrozen said:

ariaz said:

Isn’t the GS RWD?
    Anyway, mid $16k range as a trade. About $20k-$21k fair retail.
    Yes, it's RWD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    nice ad. Other than the rust on the rear fender lip, looks nice and clean. Steep miles but if it starts without a cloud of smoke, and drives and stops normally, great deal for that price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited March 2020
    It was sold two years earlier by a local used-car dealer for $2... it needs tires, headlights, and a grand of suspension work.... it really isn't worth much... but it''s driveable as is, which is a big deal.

"A thousand dollar car ain't gonna roll
    until you throw another thousand down the hole
    you put your money in it, and there you are
    owner of a two thousand dollar, thousand dollar car"
    [the bottle rockets]
  • Doogins03Doogins03 Member Posts: 27
    Hello,

Looking to get an idea of what I can expect in a trade in value for 2018 Dodge Durango GT Blacktop Pkg RWD, Redline Red Exterior with Performance Hood. I have attached the window sticker as well for reference.

Vehicle in Maine...1 Owner, 28.6k, maintenance up to date, Very Good condition, was bought in Texas and always garaged. I just moved back to Maine so its only seen one winter season, but still garaged.

Thank you in advance!
    Might get more money net taking it back to Texas.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Yeah, going to take a hit in Maine for RWD.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I don't think I can answer requests right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations, and a Durango hasn't crossed the block in 9 days. My info would be severely outdated in this climate, and it would be a disservice to mislead people.

qbrozen said:

I don't think I can answer requests right now. Mannheim has ceased most operations, and a Durango hasn't crossed the block in 9 days. My info would be severely outdated in this climate, and it would be a disservice to mislead people.

That's no bueno, but I completely understand, given the current economic climate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I keep getting emails from the dealers that they are doing deals online and will deliver, but I have not seen any mention about trade ins!

Not sure I'd feel comfortable buying from home and having them bring it out. I'd like to see their whole selection and drive a few to make sure I was getting the right model personally. So much easier if they have the exact model in stock and you've driven it before this insane nonsense began.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

These days quality is overall so good and consistent I don't worry about trying out the specific unit. I did make sure to look at build date and pick the freshest one (which just happened to be the one we test drove anyway). certainly take a look at it before accepting though.

our car actually had a 2/2020 build date, and we first test drove it on 3/7. Had not been prepped and actually only had the delivery gallon of gas, so my wife had to stop for gas before the test drive. And since it only had 5 miles, including our test drive, I know it was fresh!

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

That's no bueno, but I completely understand, given the current economic climate.
    Things are bad. I know a guy in CO who went to Target for bagels ;)
    I'd rather just stick with conventional toast. I have standards ya know.

jmonroe

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    jmonroe said:

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Things are bad. I know a guy in CO who went to Target for bagels ;)
    I'd rather just stick with conventional toast. I have standards ya know.

jmonroe
    You strike me as an avocado toast kind of guy

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

These days quality is overall so good and consistent I don't worry about trying out the specific unit. I did make sure to look at build date and pick the freshest one (which just happened to be the one we test drove anyway). certainly take a look at it before accepting though.

our car actually had a 2/2020 build date, and we first test drove it on 3/7. Had not been prepped and actually only had the delivery gallon of gas, so my wife had to stop for gas before the test drive. And since it only had 5 miles, including our test drive, I know it was fresh!

Where do you find the "build date?" Is it on the sticker, or some other stamp on the car?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Where do you find the "build date?" Is it on the sticker, or some other stamp on the car?
    It’s typically located in the bottom of the driver’s door jamb. It is a small placard with VIN and manufacturer the info. Often it’s next the the tire inflation/tire size placard.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

yup. that is where it is. does not have the day, but gives month and year.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Avocado toast isn't all that bad if you add two sunny side up eggs on top, some bacon crumbles, cheese and salsa.

Of course by then any healthy aspects of it are long gone!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

Avocado toast isn't all that bad if you add two sunny side up eggs on top, some bacon crumbles, cheese and salsa.

Of course by then any healthy aspects of it are long gone!

My favorite food is non-health food. I grew up on that stuff. Life was better when we didn't know what we didn't want to know. :o

jmonroe

edited March 2020
    This whole thing sucks! Sucks big time!!

Thanks JMonroe! "Life was better when we didn't know what we didn't want to know."!!