Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

Thanks, all!

Kia offered $24.5K. Nor surprising on the low ball as there was no meat left on the bone on the sale of the Stinger.

GG if the dealer gives you $24.5 for it they have to sell it for $3000 or $4000 more, so you aren't out of line. Although around the middle seems fair since it is a bit riskier buying privately. We know you are honest but this guy doesn't. But, he didn't seem likely to close the deal for more than $25k.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I can imagine that with the small shops. Back already, service took ~90 minutes, which included a software update. Service adviser said they usually have 100+ per day, now closer to 10. They seem to have ample staff anyway, which I suppose is good for their paychecks.

And for my ego, the adviser raved about the condition of my car. I bet they see some gross stuff from time to time.
    driver100 said:

Head office said a lot of smaller dealerships are closed now....so they decided to extend the prepaid service date.
    I'd almost take it in, but it takes about 5 hours,and I am adding to exposure time if I get a ride home and back!!!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    My response when he said $25K was his ceiling would have been "Well, I'm not going to sell it to anyone for that price, so it doesn't make sense for you to waste our time test driving it." Which is sort of what it sounds like you said, just put a bit differently.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    qbrozen said:

GG, I think you were absolutely in the right. It is silly of him to think you'd come down on price after he drives it.

Agreed; the caller sounds like more trouble than he’s worth.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

ab348 said:

My response when he said $25K was his ceiling would have been "Well, I'm not going to sell it to anyone for that price, so it doesn't make sense for you to waste our time test driving it." Which is sort of what it sounds like you said, just put a bit differently.

Or, take his name and phone number and tell him if you ever decide to sell at that price you will call him and he can take it for a test drive then.

fintail said:

I can imagine that with the small shops. Back already, service took ~90 minutes, which included a software update. Service adviser said they usually have 100+ per day, now closer to 10. They seem to have ample staff anyway, which I suppose is good for their paychecks.

And for my ego, the adviser raved about the condition of my car. I bet they see some gross stuff from time to time.

driver100 said:

Head office said a lot of smaller dealerships are closed now....so they decided to extend the prepaid service date.
    I'd almost take it in, but it takes about 5 hours,and I am adding to exposure time if I get a ride home and back!!!

Mine takes about an extra hour for the car wash....but, they do a good job, inside and out.

Ah yeah, I ask for them not to wash it or clean it in any way - it wasn't dirty, and I like to do that myself.

Everyone there seemed to be in good spirits anyway, maybe not being grumbled at all day is an upside in that business right now. I've never had a complaint there.
    driver100 said:

Mine takes about an extra hour for the car wash....but, they do a good job, inside and out.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Driver, have the wife follow you over. GLK probably needs some exercise. Pull in, leave keys, wave to advisor, walk back out to where she is waiting.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Now I've done it. I wrote a nice comment about Spring Grove Cemetery/arboretum and they're closing it to the public. Just saw article that public use of cemetery is interfering with the funerals and the work trucks.

They are leaving it open on Sundays 8-5. Since I haven't seen the use level during the week with all the work from home folks and "study at home" school folks using the cemetery, maybe the public use is interfering.

We'll go back next Sunday to see more of the blooming trees and plantings. It was cathartic for us.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

stickguy said:

Driver, have the wife follow you over. GLK probably needs some exercise. Pull in, leave keys, wave to advisor, walk back out to where she is waiting.

That's a good idea stick. I just asked Mrs D100 and she said that she would do it. We have to undo the trickle charger. I will probably schedule it for next week.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    tjc78 said:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Now I've done it. I wrote a nice comment about Spring Grove Cemetery/arboretum and they're closing it to the public. Just saw article that public use of cemetery is interfering with the funerals and the work trucks.

Guess more people read these posts than what we thought ;)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

Remember these?

This is what people used to do with their thumbs before cellphones.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited March 2020

Had someone call yesterday that I didn’t know (usually means a spam call). Guy on the other end said a friend of mine told him I had a TLX for sale. I do. And, I know the friend.

We went back and forth about the condition of the car (excellent, always garaged, bought new, A-Spec, all loaded up, no runs, drips or errors...driver’s leather seat isn’t even creased, low mileage, needs nothing, very red).

He said he was looking for a car to replace his Civic. Don’t know why, but I thought that was odd. He he wanted to know my asking. Last I looked, private party value was between $27K-$29K. I told him those numbers, and also told him since mine was pretty pristine, I was leaning towards the $29K number. But, to make a quick sale, I’d split the difference at $28K.

He went on to say he was looking at several other cars. Thought I was high in my asking (maybe....maybe not). Was wondering if he could take a test drive. Before doing that, I asked if I could text him some pics. Took interior, exterior, trunk, under hood, undercarriage (as best I could). He called me back a couple of hours later wanting to know if he could do a test drive. As I told him, given the present circumstances, I’d want to know if he was interested given my asking price. He said he was interested at $25K.

I politely told him I appreciated his time, but we were not going to make a deal unless he added $3K to his offer, and I made it contingent on a test drive but would have to see a cashier’s check first.

He got a little huffy with me. I dunno, maybe I was pushing it a bit much. What say you peanut gallery? Was I over the line?

I might be a little miffed too if someone asked for the money up front before I could test drive. OTOH, if the guy was a jerk then you were right to blow him off.

I once looked at a cheap car for my nephew and the guy said on the phone “my price is real firm so don’t show up if you don’t like the price”. A little brusk I thought but ok, the price is the price.

Took a test drive and the car was junk so I said no thanks. Next week it was advertised for 20% less. The next week another 20% less.

So sometimes the firm price isn’t so firm.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

....but the guy with the car makes the rules!

witticism of the day:

We are all turning into dogs. We roam the house all day looking for food, if we get too close to people get told NO, and get overly excited to go for a ride in the car.

lol.....I heard, keep a glass of wine in each hand, that way you won't touch your face.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Had someone call yesterday that I didn’t know (usually means a spam call). Guy on the other end said a friend of mine told him I had a TLX for sale. I do. And, I know the friend.

We went back and forth about the condition of the car (excellent, always garaged, bought new, A-Spec, all loaded up, no runs, drips or errors...driver’s leather seat isn’t even creased, low mileage, needs nothing, very red).

He said he was looking for a car to replace his Civic. Don’t know why, but I thought that was odd. He he wanted to know my asking. Last I looked, private party value was between $27K-$29K. I told him those numbers, and also told him since mine was pretty pristine, I was leaning towards the $29K number. But, to make a quick sale, I’d split the difference at $28K.

He went on to say he was looking at several other cars. Thought I was high in my asking (maybe....maybe not). Was wondering if he could take a test drive. Before doing that, I asked if I could text him some pics. Took interior, exterior, trunk, under hood, undercarriage (as best I could). He called me back a couple of hours later wanting to know if he could do a test drive. As I told him, given the present circumstances, I’d want to know if he was interested given my asking price. He said he was interested at $25K.

I politely told him I appreciated his time, but we were not going to make a deal unless he added $3K to his offer, and I made it contingent on a test drive but would have to see a cashier’s check first.

He got a little huffy with me. I dunno, maybe I was pushing it a bit much. What say you peanut gallery? Was I over the line?

I might be a little miffed too if someone asked for the money up front before I could test drive. OTOH, if the guy was a jerk then you were right to blow him off.

I once looked at a cheap car for my nephew and the guy said on the phone “my price is real firm so don’t show up if you don’t like the price”. A little brusk I thought but ok, the price is the price.

Took a test drive and the car was junk so I said no thanks. Next week it was advertised for 20% less. The next week another 20% less.

OF...I get it. In other times, I would think I was a jerk, too.

But today? If we aren’t close on price, I’m not going to let the tire kickers (which I’m one of on occasion, BTW) come drive my car, decide they want to low ball me, and I have to turn around and disinfect the car each time.

If he would have said, “after I drive it, and I like it, I’d be willing to go $27K”, I would have done that.

Plus, how many times have all of us here sold a car privately and had to sift through all the “will you finance me?” Or, “can I make payments on it to you?” Or, “I have to get my wife’s/husband’s approval first”.

I’m trying to sift through all that. Plus, I’m not desperate. If it sells, it sells. If not, I’ve got two nice cars sitting in the GG garage.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    That's an excellent package. When we were moving out long-serving people we did salary and benefits continuation at a basic formula of 1 month for every year of service up to a maximum of 20. About $5000 in outplacement assistance too, which they could decline and just take the cash. I kept hoping they would offer me that but I did too good a job I guess as it never happened and I had to retire.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Excellent news GG. It seems you have only been there a relatively short time. It is a very generous package....sounds like one of those breaks you have to go with. I would say the package is as good as it gets.

Don't beat yourself up about the tester guy, I would say the chance he would buy the car was about .5%

Good for you GG. and smart by them to keep your expertise and connections. You kinda transitioned into a post retirement consulting gig already!

edited April 2020
    If you know the play Les Miserables you will appreciate this. Only 3 minutes, but, a lot of us will be able to relate:
    One families experience self-isolating:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcS0Nbo7Ng

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    @graphicguy - that is an amazing deal, and I'm very happy for you. About as good an outcome as could be expected.

Congrats on making it to the next phase in your life; perhaps you'll join @oldfarmer50 and @Sandman6472 in taking a part time job shuttling rental cars around. :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Congratulations, @graphicguy! That truly is an impressive severance setup - especially healthcare through 2021. Enjoy the transition and new time!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Thanks, all! If there is a glimmer of sunshine with all the rest of the s#!T show going on now, this is one of them.

@driver100 ...my former company was acquired by my current company quite a few years ago. So, my tenure with both is more than just a few years. Still, my former company never would have been as generous.
    Michaell said:

@graphicguy - that is an amazing deal, and I'm very happy for you. About as good an outcome as could be expected.

Congrats on making it to the next phase in your life; perhaps you'll join @oldfarmer50 and @Sandman6472 in taking a part time job shuttling rental cars around. :wink:

Michaell.....funny you should mention that. I’ve actually thought of starting my own LLC and offer to shuttle cars from/to the dealerships in the area.
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    @graphicguy, I got in here late and just saw the good news about your upcoming retirement. I thought I got a very good full and then some early retirement package when I was 55 but yours topped mine.

FWIW, when you're retired you might find yourself getting in here late too. Just one of those things you'll have to live with.

Good luck.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,537
    Congratulations @graphicguy , that's fantastic. So with all your new found time you can join @kyfdx and myself for a few beverages when all this madness subsides B)
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

I almost hate to post this, given how unsettled many of us are right now.

But, here goes....My bosses boss, my boss, and I had a nice conversation this a.m. We talked about the state of our business, how this whole craziness is affecting us, collectively and individually, and finally, my voluntary separation package terms.

I am bowled over by the company’s generosity. Briefly, they’ll pay me through the end of the year. They’ll pay all of my unused PTO and vacation time (an additional 5 months). They’ll pick up my benefits until the end of 2021. I will stay “on call” for them until the end of the year. I do have some relationships that will have to be transitioned with some very big companies that will need to be “eased” into a new person’s job description.

They want me to write up employee reviews for all of those who report to me, and to transition those folks over to the new manager(s).

But overall, aside from a trip here and there (when/if they allow trips) and some easy paperwork and conference calls, I’m pretty much done.

I’m humbled and quite appreciative. But, it looks like with the free time I now have, I’ll be joining some of you who while away the hours playing early bird bingo.

GG, this appears to be an excellent separation package, but is any of it guaranteed in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic and the predicted economic recession? While early retirement is not for everyone, I nonetheless congratulate on your involuntary retirement and when you tire from all this there might be an "Acura genius" job waiting for you.

OF...I get it. In other times, I would think I was a jerk, too.

But today? If we aren’t close on price, I’m not going to let the tire kickers (which I’m one of on occasion, BTW) come drive my car, decide they want to low ball me, and I have to turn around and disinfect the car each time.

If he would have said, “after I drive it, and I like it, I’d be willing to go $27K”, I would have done that.

Plus, how many times have all of us here sold a car privately and had to sift through all the “will you finance me?” Or, “can I make payments on it to you?” Or, “I have to get my wife’s/husband’s approval first”.

I’m trying to sift through all that. Plus, I’m not desperate. If it sells, it sells. If not, I’ve got two nice cars sitting in the GG garage.
    Your point about being cautious about test drives by strangers is well taken. These are crazy times indeed. The standard policy of not negotiating price before meeting in person and after driving might not be workable for a while. I admit I hadn’t considered that when making my comments.

You are certainly within your rights to name a firm price and stick to it. Sometimes that’s the easier decision for a buyer...it’s either worth it or not. No agonizing if it’s worth it at $25k, $26k or $29k.

Personally, I think you’d be happier keeping it as you enjoy your Acuras.

But, here goes....My bosses boss, my boss, and I had a nice conversation this a.m. We talked about the state of our business, how this whole craziness is affecting us, collectively and individually, and finally, my voluntary separation package terms.

I am bowled over by the company’s generosity. Briefly, they’ll pay me through the end of the year. They’ll pay all of my unused PTO and vacation time (an additional 5 months). They’ll pick up my benefits until the end of 2021. I will stay “on call” for them until the end of the year. I do have some relationships that will have to be transitioned with some very big companies that will need to be “eased” into a new person’s job description.

They want me to write up employee reviews for all of those who report to me, and to transition those folks over to the new manager(s).

But overall, aside from a trip here and there (when/if they allow trips) and some easy paperwork and conference calls, I’m pretty much done.

I’m humbled and quite appreciative. But, it looks like with the free time I now have, I’ll be joining some of you who while away the hours playing early bird bingo.

Welcome to the ranks of the retired, old man. :p That’s quite a golden parachute.

Perhaps when you get tired of sitting home and the pandemic ends you can join Sandy and I in the exciting world of minimum wage retiree employment.

Michaell said:

Michaell.....funny you should mention that. I’ve actually thought of starting my own LLC and offer to shuttle cars from/to the dealerships in the area.
    Most dealerships have in house staff who do that. Usually on call so they don’t have to pay benefits. Some of our guys do that to fill out the week.

Unless you drive a car carrier............

Stick......took your advice about having Mrs D100 drive down in her car and pick me up when I deliver the car for prepaid service. Finally got through to the dealer, they have 150 employees but only 15 working right now.
    They don't have a shuttle service so this was the only way to do it. I take it in next week on Tuesday....my final prepaid service :'(

Michaell said:

Most dealerships have in house staff who do that. Usually on call so they don’t have to pay benefits. Some of our guys do that to fill out the week.

Unless you drive a car carrier............
    I wonder if I could get a few retirees to do this with me? We could form our own company to do the transfers and be on call for any dealership. Worth pursuing, OF?

Sounds like work to me! Probably not that lucrative after insurance, etc.

Indeed, congrats GG, with the treatment of workers in this day and age, you almost got a winning lottery ticket there. A corporation treating people in that manner is almost un-American (unless you're in the hardworking bootstrapping self-made build it themselves golden parachute demographic)
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    edited April 2020
    @graphicguy

Sure sounds like you are well liked by your company and those who you report to. That's almost a "golden parachute" benefit. I sure hope their business recouperates after this tragic mess. It's a situation that so many millions of people are caught up in. I would imagine that if I was still in the education business I might be relegated to teaching the students onlline since there is no school building filled with kids. I wouldn't mind that at all, but eventually, schools will reopen. Same for my manager position at the new car dealership. I am sure they are reducing their workforce in all areas (parts, service and sales) since hardly anyone is out looking at or buying new or used cars due to the strict "stay-at-home" policies implemented by the County(s) I live in or near.

2021 Genesis G90

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Congrats, GG. Nice to go out on your own terms. Color me jealous!
    Fiance's son has had to let some of his people go, he's on a 20% salary cut for the next 6 months.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited April 2020
    Thanks, again!

Not one to circle my team’s accomplishments, but when my marketing, sales and support staff took over our little dept, we were billing low 7 figures with a 14% gross margin. As of 2019 Q4, we were billing mid 9 figures in revenue with 26% gross margins. Proud of them and what they accomplished.

It’s not like the company didn’t benefit from me team’s efforts.

As long as they stay the course we’ve set, they’ll be fine.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

Great news. Congrats!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Re car sales, random comments;

TrueCar has forecast a sales drop for March of 37 percent and Lyman said sales in April could also be off between 50 percent to 60 percent.
    Just how bad March was is an open question. Cox Automotive did not release a monthly forecast, but said its data showed that on March 27, new vehicle sales to consumers fell 55 percent versus the same day in 2019.

In U.S. states under “stay-at-home” orders, sales fell as much as 80 percent to 90 percent, Cox estimated. Those include states like California and New York, home to a large portion of the American car-buying population.

GM and Toyota report March sales today. Could be a good time to buy, if you really need want a new car.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Porsche USA sales were down 20% for the first quarter. I'll guess that is roughly even for Jan and Feb, and down 60% for March (more or less)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057

Thanks, again!

Not one to circle my team’s accomplishments, but when my marketing, sales and support staff took over our little dept, we were billing low 7 figures with a 14% gross margin. As of 2019 Q4, we were billing mid 9 figures in revenue with 26% gross margins. Proud of them and what they accomplished.

It’s not like the company didn’t benefit from me team’s efforts.

As long as they stay the course we’ve set, they’ll be fine.

That is an impressive increase in performance.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I think true car is being optimistic. March obviously will not be good, but April is going to be practically non existent.

That said, if May is really when the country can start coming out of hibernation, decent chance things ramp up quickly. There will be some pent up demand in many sectors, and likely short term supply problems. Hopefully many small and medium sized businesses can reopen (stuff like restaurants).

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    stickguy said:

That said, if May is really when the country can start coming out of hibernation, decent chance things ramp up quickly. There will be some pent up demand in many sectors, and likely short term supply problems. Hopefully many small and medium sized businesses can reopen (stuff like restaurants).

My bet: June 1st, before there is any easing in restrictions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree with June 1. April is done already and likely May as well. But I believe once the doors are opened, things will get moving again pretty quickly. And as a positive, for better or worse, I think the government is being as proactive as can be hoped for, on the financial side anyway.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    We're making contingency plans in our household through June. Easier that way.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible