Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    jipster said:

50/50 chance I'll be in the market for a 2020 v-hickle. Wife says "Buy, Buy...we need a reliable car!!" , but until recently my 2008 Mercury Mariner (168,000 miles) has been reliable. Driving home from Chic fi la about 5 days ago the car seemed to slip into a lower gear at 35 mph, then a bit of shudder. Stop. Put in park. Drive home... it's okay. The next day I drive my brother to dealership to pick up his car. My car drives fine on the way, but driving back home I notice the fan is not blowing air, soon after, at around 35-40 mph I get a noticeable shudder and vibration from steering column. Sounds like metal tapping metal. The shudder also has a bit.of a.clanking noise which gets worse the faster I go. No shudder once speed drops below 35mph. Get the car home, hear a groaning sound.as I'm turning in driveway. Get out of car, a bit of a burning rubber smell. Both days this happened it was warm.

In doing a little research it sounds like the torque converter is going bad. I read that old worn out transmission fluid can cause this problem. The next day turns much cooler, I drive the car for 30 minue, no problems. Shifts and runs good. I do a drain and fill of 4 quarts Mervon V trans fluid the next day. The weather is still.cool. Drive for about 40 minutes, drives and shifts fine. Ordered some Lubegard Platinum. If the shudder returns once the weather warms up, I'll try that. At some.point I'll do another fluid drain and fill. If the shudder returns (it's quite violent, can't drive over 45 mph), then it's time to buy.

So, does this sound.like a torque converter problem? Haven't read but a few posts here, car sales down due to Corona virus?.

Probably going to look at a few cars Friday. Just in case, Sales lady says call ahead and she'd have a Hyundai Sonata washed, disinfected and sterilized for us. WOW!. She said my trade.in was worth between $1,000 and $1,500. Also, may try to look at a Mazda 6, and Toyota Camry.

TC has its own fluid, so if that is the problem, the trans fluid change won't help. If you are hearing/feeling more during turns, it could be your differential. Burning rubber could be the tires turning at different speeds if either the TC or diff are not cooperating.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    Re: unemployment. It's important to remember that your company pays unemployment insurance premiums to the state. At least, I know we do here in Colorado, as I'm responsible for the filing of the payroll numbers for our small business. No reason not to file, I guess is what I'm saying.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244

jipster said:

50/50 chance I'll be in the market for a 2020 v-hickle. Wife says "Buy, Buy...we need a reliable car!!" , but until recently my 2008 Mercury Mariner (168,000 miles) has been reliable. Driving home from Chic fi la about 5 days ago the car seemed to slip into a lower gear at 35 mph, then a bit of shudder. Stop. Put in park. Drive home... it's okay. The next day I drive my brother to dealership to pick up his car. My car drives fine on the way, but driving back home I notice the fan is not blowing air, soon after, at around 35-40 mph I get a noticeable shudder and vibration from steering column. Sounds like metal tapping metal. The shudder also has a bit.of a.clanking noise which gets worse the faster I go. No shudder once speed drops below 35mph. Get the car home, hear a groaning sound.as I'm turning in driveway. Get out of car, a bit of a burning rubber smell. Both days this happened it was warm.

In doing a little research it sounds like the torque converter is going bad. I read that old worn out transmission fluid can cause this problem. The next day turns much cooler, I drive the car for 30 minue, no problems. Shifts and runs good. I do a drain and fill of 4 quarts Mervon V trans fluid the next day. The weather is still.cool. Drive for about 40 minutes, drives and shifts fine. Ordered some Lubegard Platinum. If the shudder returns once the weather warms up, I'll try that. At some.point I'll do another fluid drain and fill. If the shudder returns (it's quite violent, can't drive over 45 mph), then it's time to buy.

So, does this sound.like a torque converter problem? Haven't read but a few posts here, car sales down due to Corona virus?.

Probably going to look at a few cars Friday. Just in case, Sales lady says call ahead and she'd have a Hyundai Sonata washed, disinfected and sterilized for us. WOW!. She said my trade.in was worth between $1,000 and $1,500. Also, may try to look at a Mazda 6, and Toyota Camry.

Jip...I test drove one of those new Sonatas to get the $40 gift card offered at the recent local car show.

I was dutifully impressed. Slick styling...all the modern safety tech. Not a stop light warrior, but quick enough to keep up with traffic. I was also impressed with how quiet it was on the admittedly brief test drive.
    Thanks for the input, gg. . We've really been happy with our Hyundai Veracruz these last 8 years. And I do like Hyundais 5/60 bumper to bumper.and 10/100,000 powertrain warranty. So, I'd say the Sonatais a front runner.

I know most of you guys here are "performance car" people, maybe one day....but a good performing car (handles and accelerates well), reliable, comfortable drive, and nice interior and exterior styling, will work for us. My son's Mercury Milan drives and handles really well. 240hp engine. I guess the Mazda 6 would be the closest to a performance car I'd be looking at. The new Toyota Camry SE model is really sporting looking. My son in law just bought one and really likes it. Sure.doesn't look like the typical Camry. ;-)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    I think the Camry is faster than the 6.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited April 2020
    nyccarguy said:

jipster said:

I think you have to drain & fill as a preventative measure. If you don't, it doesn't help to put new fluid in once you start having problems.
    Well, yes, I'm on borrowed time. I think the fluid exchange and Lubegard is a bandaid fix. The only question is how long it will stay on. The transmission fluid looked fine to me whenever I checked it. Light pink in co!or. But in looking at last records, it's been about 80,000 miles since last flush.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    stickguy said:

Jip, I understand trying to be economical (ok, I’m cheap) but at some point you need to look at the big picture. Sounds like you got your money’s worth, and most of the life, out of the old car. So if you can afford something better/newer/more reliable, listen to the wife and get it. Probably a good time to get a good deal on something new and just keep it a long time. A Hyundai being a good option for that.

Me, I’m too old and cranky to be worrying every time I drive my car it won’t make it home. And if it ever broke down on my wife and stranded her, I would never hear the end of it. Plus she would never drive it again!

Yes, I hear you. Thought my wife was.going to.clobber me yesterday when I balked at.getting a new car.. And she said the same thing you did, we don't want.to worry about.our cars not being able to make it home. It is totally the right thing to do... buy a new car. Hard to open the wallet though with all those cobwebs. I'm starting to research though. That's the first step.
    edited April 2020
    My brother's brother-in-law is a sales.manager at Jeep dealership, next door neighbor is the g.m at a Kia dealership. He was offered a new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Ford with 6,700 miles for $21,000. MSRP was around $30,000. But, no third row seat. Went with a Kia Sorrento for $30,000. Haven't looked at Kia Optimas, but that would be a possibility.

jipster said:

When I had a torque converter shudder in my 95’ Lincoln it wasn’t that violent (More like a vibration as it shifted into 4th) but changing the fluid and adding a quart of Lubeguard did the trick. Worked fine until I sold it 4 years later.

When I had problems with the transmission on my Chevy it turned out to be just a few electronic switches. If the fluid fix doesn’t work find a reputable indie shop who won’t just up sell you a new one.

Is that an AWD? Check the transfer case. I’ve heard Fords are finicky about fluid there too.
    Oldfarmer, I've read of people having such success...with adding new fluid and Lubegard. I believe the old transmission fluid was worn out and lost the ability to dissipate heat.

The shudder and vibration in my car was fairly violent. Didn't try to drive thru it though. I'd really like to see how the car does when the warm weather returns. If I still buy new, I could keep it as a spare for when my son finishes wrecking his Mercury Milan.

KBB private party is $3,500. dealership would probably give me a grand. Not AWD. A service advisor at Ford dealership said to have it checked for misfires. I'm fairly confident it's a torque converter problem, but having it checked.out by my indie may be a good idea.
    ab348 said:

I think the Camry is faster than the 6.

I'd probably stay with the 4 cylinder in either. You'd think the Mazda 6 would be faster, but I believe it has fewer hp in the 4 cylinder.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    jipster said:

....It is totally the right thing to do... buy a new car. Hard to open the wallet though with all those cobwebs. I'm starting to research though. That's the first step.

You might consider the Civic, which is now the same size as a Honda Accord from the 1990s. And what about the CR-V? Might be more similar to what you're currently driving. Or are you definitely going for a sedan this time?

As you say, the new Sonata looks good. And the Mazda6 is, I think, the best looking out of all of the regular midsize cars. And a Camry is obviously a solid car, but I don't care for how it looks from the front in the new generation. This generation of Accord is also something of an acquired taste.

It'll be interesting to hear what kind of offers you get.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    jipster said:

jipster said:

Jip...I test drove one of those new Sonatas to get the $40 gift card offered at the recent local car show.

I was dutifully impressed. Slick styling...all the modern safety tech. Not a stop light warrior, but quick enough to keep up with traffic. I was also impressed with how quiet it was on the admittedly brief test drive.
    Thanks for the input, gg. . We've really been happy with our Hyundai Veracruz these last 8 years. And I do like Hyundais 5/60 bumper to bumper.and 10/100,000 powertrain warranty. So, I'd say the Sonatais a front runner.

I know most of you guys here are "performance car" people, maybe one day....but a good performing car (handles and accelerates well), reliable, comfortable drive, and nice interior and exterior styling, will work for us. My son's Mercury Milan drives and handles really well. 240hp engine. I guess the Mazda 6 would be the closest to a performance car I'd be looking at. The new Toyota Camry SE model is really sporting looking. My son in law just bought one and really likes it. Sure.doesn't look like the typical Camry. ;-)
    How did that work out with the Milan’s motor issues that the dealer tried to talk you into some expensive repairs?

If you want handling I’d go with the Mazda. Interior is better than the Camry too, IMO.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

jipster said:

TC has its own fluid, so if that is the problem, the trans fluid change won't help. If you are hearing/feeling more during turns, it could be your differential. Burning rubber could be the tires turning at different speeds if either the TC or diff are not cooperating.
    TC is closed? Thought I read that in time new trans fluid would circulate thru it.

Actually, when making turns on the road, it seemed like the shuddering evened out, or dissipated.. When making sharp turn into my driveway there was a loud groaning noise from the right front suspension. Car has driven and.run fine the past 3 days, which have been much cooler. Makes me think heat is a factor with what is going.on.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    He meant transfer case. Not applicable though since you have FWD not AWD

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

jipster said:

jipster said:

When I had a torque converter shudder in my 95’ Lincoln it wasn’t that violent (More like a vibration as it shifted into 4th) but changing the fluid and adding a quart of Lubeguard did the trick. Worked fine until I sold it 4 years later.

When I had problems with the transmission on my Chevy it turned out to be just a few electronic switches. If the fluid fix doesn’t work find a reputable indie shop who won’t just up sell you a new one.

Is that an AWD? Check the transfer case. I’ve heard Fords are finicky about fluid there too.
    Oldfarmer, I've read of people having such success...with adding new fluid and Lubegard. I believe the old transmission fluid was worn out and lost the ability to dissipate heat.

The shudder and vibration in my car was fairly violent. Didn't try to drive thru it though. I'd really like to see how the car does when the warm weather returns. If I still buy new, I could keep it as a spare for when my son finishes wrecking his Mercury Milan.

KBB private party is $3,500. dealership would probably give me a grand. Not AWD. A service advisor at Ford dealership said to have it checked for misfires. I'm fairly confident it's a torque converter problem, but having it checked.out by my indie may be a good idea.
    Your Mercury sounds like a winner on CL for $3k. Advertise it as “fresh fluid changes”.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

AH, sorry. I got confused and thought we were talking AWD.

Hmmm... have you checked the PS fluid?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

jipster said:

He was offered a new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Ford

Damn, he should have jumped on that. Sounds like it could be a rare collectible someday.

edited April 2020
    benjaminh said:

jipster said:

....It is totally the right thing to do... buy a new car. Hard to open the wallet though with all those cobwebs. I'm starting to research though. That's the first step.

You might consider the Civic, which is now the same size as a Honda Accord from the 1990s. And what about the CR-V? Might be more similar to what you're currently driving. Or are you definitely going for a sedan this time?

As you say, the new Sonata looks good. And the Mazda6 is, I think, the best looking out of all of the regular midsize cars. And a Camry is obviously a solid car, but I don't care for how it looks from the front in the new generation. This generation of Accord is also something of an acquired taste.

It'll be interesting to hear what kind of offers you get.
    Thought about going small. But, I had a 2012 leased Civic for 3 years. It was a nice car, with great mpg, but not fun to drive, not really that comfortable, on the "slow" side of the curve. Had that small car ride. That 2012/model Civic year got hammered pretty good with the big car reviewers, so maybe it's made better now.

Haven't ruled anything out, but my daughter moved about 2 hours away, so was really thinking a midsize sedan, with good mpg, would be better. I do like the visibility and higher drivers position an SUV offers.

On the Camry, were you looking at the upgraded sports edition, which is the SE? I think that model looks really sporty from the front. I've always like the Mazda 6 in red, but I've read the interior is a bit cramped.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    jipster said:

qbrozen said:

jipster said:

TC is closed? Thought I read that in time new trans fluid would circulate thru it.

Actually, when making turns on the road, it seemed like the shuddering evened out, or dissipated.. When making sharp turn into my driveway there was a loud groaning noise from the right front suspension. Car has driven and.run fine the past 3 days, which have been much cooler. Makes me think heat is a factor with what is going.on.
    Front axle boots torn? Lube gone?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2020
    jipster said:

..... hat 2012/model Civic year got hammered pretty good with the big car reviewers, so maybe it's made better now.

Haven't ruled anything out, but my daughter moved about 2 hours away, so was really thinking a midsize sedan, with good mpg, would be better. I do like the visibility and higher drivers position an SUV offers.

On the Camry, were you looking at the upgraded sports edition, which is the SE? I think that model looks really sporty from the front. I've always like the Mazda 6 in red, but I've read the interior is a bit cramped.

The Civic was completely redesigned for the 2016 model year, and got a mid-cycle update in the last year or so. It's bigger, more powerful (turbo now) and rides better, and so might be worth a look. I've heard that on the highway they can get c. 45 mpg—as good as a hybrid.

The Mazda6 has plenty of room imho. I think it has at least as much room as the Camry, which does have that strange (to me) front end on all models.

The "jumbo" midsize sedans now are the Sonata and the Accord. They are almost full-sized, really. Big trunks and lots of back seat room in those.

But if by any chance you could live with a smaller back seat, the Acura TLX is a good deal these days, with lease prices for a base model TLX (which is like a loaded Camry or Accord) actually less than a comparably equipped Camry or Accord. For example, our local Acura dealer (I live in Louisville too) has this lease deal on a base TLX with 0 money down if you qualify somehow:

Acura Conquest/Loyalty Lease
    $0 Due At Signing!
    Available to current owners of a 2010 or newer Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Genesis, Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes Benz or Volvo vehicle. $0 due at signing, $0 security deposit.
    Lease a 2020 Acura TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS for $289/mo. for 36 months.

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/newspecials.html

They will also drop off a car so that you can test drive it at home, rather than going to the dealer:

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/covid19.html

jipster said:

jipster said:

Your Mercury sounds like a winner on CL for $3k. Advertise it as “fresh fluid changes”.
    Well, I sure wouldn't be meeting that CL buyer at my house, if you catch my drift.

How much info would you divulge? "Sir, trans may have slipped,.may have a torque converter problem...but I added Lubegard and some fluid....runs great....so you good to go!"

I'd probably need to drive it for a bit, with no problems, to sell to a private party.
    edited April 2020
    qbrozen said:

AH, sorry. I got confused and thought we were talking AWD.

Hmmm... have you checked the PS fluid?

Yes, I did....look. I couldn't find it.LOL. I believe it's electronic or something.

Kyfdx checked the front axle boots. Quick glance.. Maybe I should take another look.
    qbrozen said:

jipster said:

He was offered a new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Ford

Damn, he should have jumped on that. Sounds like it could be a rare collectible someday.
    A bit.of a typo there..LOL..It was a beautiful car..Color was brick red.Drove really nice. Was a V6. Plenty of good power. Didn't have enough room for the kids, luggage and friends. I would have told the friends to find their own ride. ;+) If it didn't come with the poor Jeep reliability.issues, I would have seriously considered it.
    If I had a car I knew was temporarily bandaided, but at the moment ok, I would only trade it. Would have to disclose to a private buyer, and that’s likely not going to go well. Or be comfortable.

benjaminh said:

jipster said:

..... hat 2012/model Civic year got hammered pretty good with the big car reviewers, so maybe it's made better now.

The Civic was completely redesigned for the 2016 model year, and got a mid-cycle update in the last year or so. It's bigger, more powerful (turbo now) and rides better, and so might be worth a look. I've heard that on the highway they can get c. 45 mpg—as good as a hybrid.

The Mazda6 has plenty of room imho. I think it has at least as much room as the Camry, which does have that strange (to me) front end on all models.

The "jumbo" midsize sedans now are the Sonata and the Accord. They are almost full-sized, really. Big trunks and lots of back seat room in those.

But if by any chance you could live with a smaller back seat, the Acura TLX is a good deal these days, with lease prices for a base model TLX (which is like a loaded Camry or Accord) actually less than a comparably equipped Camry or Accord. For example, our local Acura dealer (I live in Louisville too) has this lease deal on a base TLX with 0 money down if you qualify somehow:

Acura Conquest/Loyalty Lease
    $0 Due At Signing!
    Available to current owners of a 2010 or newer Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Genesis, Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes Benz or Volvo vehicle. $0 due at signing, $0 security deposit.
    Lease a 2020 Acura TLX 2.4 8-DCT P-AWS for $289/mo. for 36 months.

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/newspecials.html

They will also drop off a car so that you can test drive it at home, rather than going to the dealer:

https://www.acuraatoxmoor.com/covid19.html
    Will probably test drive the 6 and Sonata tomorrow. Not sure how much that Acura goes.for but we're.probably wanting to spend no more than $28 k out the door. Wife wants.to find.something like a loaner or program car,.like the Jeep, and he around 23k otd. My nephew works at BMW of Louisville, which would be nice, but a bit expensive.
    If you don’t need a fancy models, with all the dis out s and incentives, could probably get a brand new sonata for her budget.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Saw a few of the new Sonata's on the road and they are sharp! Hyundai did a great job with this new model, a bit big for us, but a great vehicle just the same!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

jipster said:

jipster said:

How did that work out with the Milan’s motor issues that the dealer tried to talk you into some expensive repairs?

If you want handling I’d go with the Mazda. Interior is better than the Camry too, IMO.
    Knock on wood,.the Milan has been driving and running fine. Did a trans fluid drain and fill as maintenance a few.months ago. Hoping in a couple more years I can drive by and thank that service advisor for his overpriced, slow and vague customer service. Saved me some $$$. Fingers crossed.

Just made an appointment to see the Sonata tomorrow. The internet sales woman said no test drive until the numbers are agreed.upon. WHAT? Negotiate online. No human contact. Too bad. She was fine. ;-) I balked. Another salesman calls.me,.says come on in. They'll let me drive solo. We'll see.
    Probably take a look at whatever else is sitting.around.

edited April 2020
    stickguy said:

If I had a car I knew was temporarily bandaided, but at the moment ok, I would only trade it. Would have to disclose to a private buyer, and that’s likely not going to go well. Or be comfortable.

True. But since I would only get $1,000-$1,500 for my trade-in, and the band-aid may hold for awhile, may be worth holding onto it.for awhile..If it drives well thru warmer weather, I'd be comfortable disclosing and selling for $3,000.

The Sonata sounds.pretty good on paper. On price, why is there no longer any Prices Paid and Buying experience discussions on Edmunds.? I joined trucar..Thinking invoice,.minus rebates, plus tax,.plus $200 for dealer b.s would do it?
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    What about a low mileage still under warranty Sonata....if you can save 20%?
    I see new Sonatas list for under $25k....sell for under $22k

2019s, under 10k miles, from about $17k to $19k
    I'd prefer new....but, I find a good low mileage CPO car can be a good buy, if you aren't putting on lots of miles.
    Just something to think about if price that keeps it in range.
    The sales on new ones probably haven't started yet......but, with new car sales tanking, it might be worth waiting if you can.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Crisis shopping update: I visited the chiropractor today, the local WM neighborhood market is in the same development, so I thought I'd pop in as I needed something. They had TP! Name brand! Not a lot (I heard a worker say "you're lucky to find this" or something), but it was there. A few paper towels, too. Fair amount of pasta and cereal on the shelves, but no hand sanitizer. Fred Meyer had zero paper products, no sanitizer, and the pasta aisle remains decimated, but they had cereal.
    jipster said:

Just made an appointment to see the Sonata tomorrow. The internet sales woman said no test drive until the numbers are agreed.upon. WHAT? Negotiate online. No human contact. Too bad. She was fine. ;-) I balked. Another salesman calls.me,.says come on in. They'll let me drive solo. We'll see.

Might not be an issue for you, but Car and Driver and most others say that when it comes to driving dynamics the Sonata is not as good as the Accord.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29598526/2020-hyundai-sonata-by-the-numbers/

"Lacking the lively Honda Accord's dynamic moves, it tolerates being rushed about as much as your spouse probably does."
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    jipster said:

stickguy said:

True. But since I would only get $1,000-$1,500 for my trade-in, and the band-aid may hold for awhile, may be worth holding onto it.for awhile..If it drives well thru warmer weather, I'd be comfortable disclosing and selling for $3,000.

The Sonata sounds.pretty good on paper. On price, why is there no longer any Prices Paid and Buying experience discussions on Edmunds.? I joined trucar..Thinking invoice,.minus rebates, plus tax,.plus $200 for dealer b.s would do it?
    If you break down up here, I'll give you a ride home. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    fintail said:

Crisis shopping update: I visited the chiropractor today, the local WM neighborhood market is in the same development, so I thought I'd pop in as I needed something. They had TP! Name brand! Not a lot (I heard a worker say "you're lucky to find this" or something), but it was there. A few paper towels, too. Fair amount of pasta and cereal on the shelves, but no hand sanitizer. Fred Meyer had zero paper products, no sanitizer, and the pasta aisle remains decimated, but they had cereal.

I'm starting to wonder if most people sourced their toilet paper by taking it from work...now you have this huge demand because people can't go to the office.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    driver100 said:

What about a low mileage still under warranty Sonata....if you can save 20%?
    I see new Sonatas list for under $25k....sell for under $22k

2019s, under 10k miles, from about $17k to $19k
    I'd prefer new....but, I find a good low mileage CPO car can be a good buy, if you aren't putting on lots of miles.
    Just something to think about if price that keeps it in range.
    The sales on new ones probably haven't started yet......but, with new car sales tanking, it might be worth waiting if you can.

Yes, I would prefer new, kind.of, my wife thinks that type of deal would be preferable. You think those kind.of deals are available at all Hyundai dealerships, or are those cars something a particular dealership would have to order on their own?.Yes, I was thinking of we.could wait till.the end.of the month to buy, may get a better deal.
    kyfdx said:

jipster said:

stickguy said:

If you break down up here, I'll give you a ride home. ;)
    Thx.. Always good to have connections. ;-) Was going to drive up tomorrow, to see our daughter, as it's my wife's birthday, but she'd rather relax and car shop. Good thing the malls are closed. ;-)

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Jip, I didn't do much research... checked Auto Trader new and used in my (Florida) area really quick. There are probably additional savings on a used, sometimes no DOC fees or do they do that on used now too, no delivery charge, lower sales tax, no additional fees.....Mop n Glo etc. But still, a new one will probably cost less over time, and there is a better chance it will be problem free.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

fintail said:

I'm starting to wonder if most people sourced their toilet paper by taking it from work...now you have this huge demand because people can't go to the office.
    Also just using more... we went from only having my Mom here by herself most days to all five of us 24/7. Big difference in usage.

I’m sure our water bill will be higher this month as well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    tjc78 said:

fintail said:

Also just using more... we went from only having my Mom here by herself most days to all five of us 24/7. Big difference in usage.

I’m sure our water bill will be higher this month as well.
    So far, our water bill has been pretty consistent this year. But, the sprinklers will be turned on at the end of April, which always increases our water usage - the bill increases by 25-50% over the summer months.

Wife and stepdaughter did the shopping yesterday - found most everything on the list except distilled water and paper products.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Or people who do their business at work to kill time B) But yeah, I could see it driving a little demand, both in terms of home use and people panicking more.

jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

Well, I sure wouldn't be meeting that CL buyer at my house, if you catch my drift.

How much info would you divulge? "Sir, trans may have slipped,.may have a torque converter problem...but I added Lubegard and some fluid....runs great....so you good to go!"

I'd probably need to drive it for a bit, with no problems, to sell to a private party.
    You could talk to them through the window. Hand the keys out on a stick. Wear a mask? IDK.

Do you routinely tell a prospective buyer about every problem you’ve ever fixed? If the brakes were worn would you tell him that or let him deduce that himself? Let the buyer test drive and answer any questions honestly is what I would do. If he says “how does it shift you could explain you fixed a glitch but it runs good now.

edited April 2020
    jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

Knock on wood,.the Milan has been driving and running fine. Did a trans fluid drain and fill as maintenance a few.months ago. Hoping in a couple more years I can drive by and thank that service advisor for his overpriced, slow and vague customer service. Saved me some $$$. Fingers crossed.

I don’t get the no test drive until you agree on a price. Are they worried you’ll steal it? They can certainly check your credit before you show up. Throw out a crazy low ball number and see what they say.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    As I said over on the CCBA topic, the new GTS and used 540i M sport have both dropped under $40k- but interest rates are still a bit high. I'm also scanning for M2s, but most have DCT and some have the sacrilege of a hole in the roof. The only option I want is the Executive Package- and nothing else.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

I don’t get the no test drive until you agree on a price. Are they worried you’ll steal it? They can certainly check your credit before you show up. Throw out a crazy low ball number and see what they say.
    I can see it right now, they want a serious buyer where they have an agreed upon price before they let someone inside the car and possibly contaminate it. Now outside a pandemic I would agree with you, but this is a special circumstance.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    I was out this morning to deposit some money into my son's and my older grandson's checking accounts for their birthdays. They bank at Wells Fargo in Palm Desert, CA, so it's faster and safer to deposit funds directly into their accounts than to send checks by snail mail.

While I was there (about 3 miles from my Condo), I noticed there was a Publix next door and the parking lot was almost empty. So I went in and the store was almost empty. I was able to stock up on frozen vegetables and canned soup and pineapple. Also got some freshly sliced roasted turkey breast and some cheese. This was about 11:00 AM.

Maybe that's the key - shop late morning. The Publix closer to me is always jammed with seniors and they are very territorial - those aisles can be dangerous when they are on the prowl for food as all of you know from my experiences in that grocery store.

2021 Genesis G90

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    I was sitting here in my bedroom in my recliner watching the News on TV. I saw the deaths reported and the hardships people in countries around the world are suffering because of covid-19. Those poor people in Africa, Asia, South America, Europe and Australia who are dying left and right due to poor health support. I then said a prayer for all those who are ill and suffering - and the end of my prayer was a big thank you for the powers above for allowing me to be born in the USA! No matter how bad things appear or seem to be in our wonderful country, most of the world is much worse off than we.

Giving thanks for our fortune to be living in this country in such times is so important! 😇

2021 Genesis G90

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    abacomike said:

While I was there (about 3 miles from my Condo), I noticed there was a Publix next door and the parking lot was almost empty. So I went in and the store was almost empty. I was able to stock up on frozen vegetables and canned soup and pineapple. Also got some freshly sliced roasted turkey breast and some cheese. This was about 11:00 AM.

Maybe that's the key - shop late morning. The Publix closer to me is always jammed with seniors and they are very territorial - those aisles can be dangerous when they are on the prowl for food as all of you know from my experiences in that grocery store.

I discovered the exact same phenomenon. The market I generally use was one that was always crazy busy when I would typically go. Now I’m going Tuesday or Wednesday mid-morning and it is almost empty. I will keep going at that time from now on.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited April 2020

jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

Well, they shouldn't think I'm going to steal it. Unless one of you guys called ahead and snitched on me?

Saleslady said because of the corona virus, no contact with customers. no test drive. Originally texted that they would disinfect the car, and I could take it for test.drive. So who knows what they'll say tomorrow. Maybe I should show up wearing a hazmat suit?

the problem, at least at the beginning, was you had to get there first thing otherwise they ran out of important stuff. I need to make our weekly run tomorrow and will probably go mid morning and hope for the best. One day, might even find a container of clorox wipes! Just need to plan my run in detail to minimize number of stores and minutes spend inside. May branch out to hit Trader Joes this week. Even though it tends to cost more, but right now, what else do we have to spend on?

As I said over on the CCBA topic, the new GTS and used 540i M sport have both dropped under $40k- but interest rates are still a bit high. I'm also scanning for M2s, but most have DCT and some have the sacrilege of a hole in the roof. The only option I want is the Executive Package- and nothing else.

If there was ever someone that needed to special order, it is you. Just go have one built and get the weird configuration you want!

edited April 2020
    jipster said:

....Saleslady said because of the corona virus, no contact with customers. no test drive. Originally texted that they would disinfect the car, and I could take it for test.drive. So who knows what they'll say tomorrow. Maybe I should show up wearing a hazmat suit?

Neil Huffman Acura at Oxmoor says that they will deliver a nice clean vehicle for you to test drive at your house. You said you needed to keep it to 28k, and the TLX on a lease might fit that. Let's see, base msrp with destination is 34k-7k lease incentive=28-2k (?) additional dealer discount = 26k. The fees and taxes and stuff will take it back to 28k, but that was your number. Perhaps worth a try? I can guarantee you it's a nicer car than the Sonata in almost every way, although the Sonata does have a roomier back seat. Just a thought.