Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

U.S. Auto Market News and Reviews

1363738394042»

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    In the end, who cares who did what or offered what, the point is to get more ventilators up and running in this country.

Anachronism I know, but I like 'everybody does their part'.

On another subject, I saw Gulf gas for $1.29 here yesterday. Wow.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    So you still have Gulf brand stations? They disappeared long ago here. That was the first brand for which I got a credit card when I started working.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

The one in town is the only one I'm aware of in the area. They're usually less than other brands, but they're REALLY less now! Their pumps are ancient; have to go inside to use a card LOL.

Remember "Good Gulf" and "No Nox"? LOL
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145

So you still have Gulf brand stations? They disappeared long ago here. That was the first brand for which I got a credit card when I started working.

My first gas credit card was Union 76 - which was on my parents account, but they allowed me to take it to Arizona when I moved there for college.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Honda is offering some programs....

https://automobiles.honda.com/covid-19

"....If you're a Honda Financial Services Account Holder:

Available Hardship Help: Payment extensions and deferrals, as well as late fee waivers are available. For more information, please visit HondaFinancialServices.com. We appreciate your patience as we are experiencing high call volumes.

If you need to purchase a new or used vehicle right now, we can help make it easier:

90 Days to First Payment Program: 90-Day Deferred Payment on new vehicle sales financed by Honda Financial Services for qualified customers*
    Loyalty Purchase Assistance Cash: $1,000 toward the purchase or lease of a new Honda model (certain exclusions apply)
    Certified Pre-owned Vehicle Special APRs:
    Honda: Civic, Accord and CR-V from April 17, 2020 to June 1, 2020"
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited March 2020
    I guess I didn't necessarily mean retail customer offers, but ventilators, etc.--production items useful in this battle. Maybe the need isn't there besides GM, I don't know.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    at some point they will crank out so many that hospitals won't have room to store all the extras once the wave subsides!

I do think that once the crisis is past, and they do a lessons learned, there is a real focus on rethinking medical equipment and PPEs. More reusable and less one time and toss it away PPE. And ventilators, seems inefficient to have them all be bulky individual units. Seems like there should be a central air supply and just a hose that connects to an outlet at every bed with some controls on the wall (isn't that how oxygen is delivered now?). Kinda like a central vacuum in a house! can still have some portable units for back up duty and using at odd locations.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Heard this evening that Ford is in for 40,000 ventilators.
    its a start. but those will get snapped up quick.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Is it just me, as if I needed a ventilator, I probably wouldn't want one Chrysler made, as both the ventilator and the person using it will probably die if they were relying upon it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Let me guess--you had a bad Neon in the '90's! :)

Let me guess--you had a bad Neon in the '90's! :)

Bad

Defined by Webster as "unfavorable." That's not going to cut it.

Lets go with these two words to more accurately describe that Neon:

Definition of Horrible:

2: extremely bad or unpleasant
    a horrible mistake
    horrible food

Definition of terrible:

1: extremely bad: such as
    a: notably unattractive or objectionable
    terrible behavior
    b: of very poor quality
    a terrible movie
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I've read they're better now, but ironically, Audis don't seem to have been known for bulletproof reliability. :)
    Photo evidence of $1.29 gas. I'd have been skeptical without seeing it myself.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I don't know if any car ages faster than an A8.

On the respirator talk, I don't know about MB using its US facilities for anything yet, But the F1 group isn't just building ventilators, but helping to design alternatives

I've read they're better now, but ironically, Audis don't seem to have been known for bulletproof reliability. :)

So far though nothing of companies in the US helping produce masks, gowns, ventilators.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

So far though nothing of companies in the US helping produce masks, gowns, ventilators.

General Motors?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2020
    General Motors and Ford have already been participating. I was looking for the foreign
    companies that make and sell cars here doing something that contributes to supplying
    necessary equipment, that some areas need in the way of medical support.

I was adding to the thread that was saying where are the foreign manufacturers helping.
    I should have been clear on GM, Ford.

Fiat/Chrysler??? Where are they fitting?

General Motors and Ford have already been participating. I was looking for the foreign
    companies that make and sell cars here doing something that contributes to supplying
    necessary equipment, that some areas need in the way of medical support.

Ah... gotcha

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not seeing anyone innovating, too.

Maybe we can wait for their reasoning, or for a certain mouth to chirp at them (a shame Barra didn't clap back).
    It’s not that simple to just start making a new product in a car factory. Ford is working with GE medical, who already does this stuff.

I liked seeing a few reports that companies like GE/Ford and Dyson were not just making the same old style, but coming out with more modern/efficient/better designs.

edited April 2020
    With such an apparent shortage of ventilators, I do wonder why the foreign makers here aren't making them...old-style or not. I do wonder if those companies aren't considered U.S. corporations, so the war production act can't affect them. I have no idea.
    It can’t be that easy to convert production though.

At some point, when this is over, there is going to be one heck of a glut of those things. I hope at least this crisis leads to some breakthroughs on the technology.

I just think "If GM and Ford can do it, why can't the others?".
    On a tangent, I know I'm sick of "We're here for you" commercials from companies who are still trying to sell stuff.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    stickguy said:

It can’t be that easy to convert production though.

At some point, when this is over, there is going to be one heck of a glut of those things. I hope at least this crisis leads to some breakthroughs on the technology.

The Mercedes F1 team has developed a so-called "improved" ventilator - supposedly in just 100 hours:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-amg-f1-ventilator-cpap-covid-19/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I thought time of getting into production was of the essence....like, yesterday. But any offer of production is good.

I just think "If GM and Ford can do it, why can't the others?".

Good article about some of the stuff GM had to do, to get the ventilator thing going:
    https://www.heraldnet.com/business/the-incredibly-challenging-ventilator-effort-by-ventec-gm/

And, yes, they were doing all of this, before the BS about them dragging their feet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Supposedly GM balked at the price at first, but an agreement was made. And as you know, I'm pro-GM.

Supposedly GM balked at the price at first, but an agreement was made. And as you know, I'm pro-GM.

I can list about 10 more articles that say that isn't the case. (take that for what it's worth). At no time, did GM slow their process. It sounds more like the government couldn't make up their mind how many they wanted, and them FEMA jumped in and said they didn't like the price. Even on the day they administration announced they were invoking the act (which, I'm not sure they actually did), GM was gearing up to manufacture the ventilators.

Go back three weeks, even before GM was actually planning on doing the manufacturing themselves, they leveraged their supplier network to get Ventec more raw parts, so that Ventec could make more units. (Hi, this is GM. Can you make these parts for Ventec, so that you can keep making parts for GM, once this is over? Great, thought you'd see it that way).

From the reporting I've seen, GM and their suppliers have been treating this like the life or death crisis that it is.

Google: gm ventec suppliers

There are some truly inspiring accounts, that will make you proud to be an American. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I can list about 10 more articles that say that isn't the case. (take that for what it's worth). At no time, did GM slow their process. It sounds more like the government couldn't make up their mind how many they wanted, and them FEMA jumped in and said they didn't like the price. Even on the day they administration announced they were invoking the act (which, I'm not sure they actually did), GM was gearing up to manufacture the ventilators.

Go back three weeks, even before GM was actually planning on doing the manufacturing themselves, they leveraged their supplier network to get Ventec more raw parts, so that Ventec could make more units. (Hi, this is GM. Can you make these parts for Ventec, so that you can keep making parts for GM, once this is over? Great, thought you'd see it that way).

From the reporting I've seen, GM and their suppliers have been treating this like the life or death crisis that it is.

Google: gm ventec suppliers

There are some truly inspiring accounts, that will make you proud to be an American. :)
    When it comes to GM, I think they should give exactly $11.3 Billion dollars worth of ventilators to America for free.

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/entities/233-general-motors

That's what they stiffed us during the bailouts, in pure accounting terms.

Full Disclosure: I'm not pro-GM.

If you add GMAC, it looks like we were stiffed another 600 Million Dollars!

If you add GMAC Mortgage, LLC then add anotehr 310 million unpaid back dollars!

How many companies is GM responsible for? Does anyone have a list? By the way, they changed the name of GMAC to Ally Financial so that newborns wouldn't make the connection to being stiffed.
    edited April 2020
    And where are Toyota and Honda and Hyundai in the list of companies producing for needs here? Reasonable question. I'd ask about Audi and VW, but off the top of my head, anyway, I'm thinking they don't build here. Not sure about that though.

And where are Toyota and Honda and Hyundai in the list of companies producing for needs here? Reasonable question. I'd ask about Audi and VW, but off the top of my head, anyway, I'm thinking they don't build here. Not sure about that though.

VW has a plant in Chattanooga. They make Passats, and something else. Atlas?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I wonder what MB and BMW are doing so far - both AL and SC remain with heads in the sand and don't have any stay at home orders (yet, AFAIK), so manpower shouldn't be a problem, and with slashed demand, there should be capacity. Might take some time to ramp up. They could probably also make masks. Maybe a credible credentialed leader in this crisis like Kushner can speed things up.
    I did catch a sound bite the other evening that said Honda was in production for needed COVID-19 items--I believe masks, not sure. In the interest of fairness and disclosure, thought I'd post that here.
    edited May 2020
    Instead of Cash 4 Clunkers, or Tax Rebates for $85,000 electric cars, how about we just offer a tax refund check of $5,000 to any American that buys a new car in 2020; no strings attached. Any car of your choice, no matter what the product content origin, no matter where it was assembled, as long as it is sold on USA soil.
    If it’s retroactive to March, I am all for this plan!

Retroactive to 2019 and including leases too, please.

I did hear a rumor somewhere that someone is thinking of a new C4C.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I did hear a rumor somewhere that someone is thinking of a new C4C.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/05/13/dont-bring-back-cash-for-clunkers-because-of-covid-19/

In addition to requesting a huge economic relief package for themselves, automakers are pushing Congress to consider reprising the “Cash for Clunkers” program from 2009 to get their customers back into dealerships. The controversial initiative, also known as the Car Allowance Rebate System or simply CARS, offered between $3,500 and $4,500 to people who traded in a sufficiently polluting old car for a sufficiently green new one. The more the customer cleaned up her carbon footprint during her trade-in, the bigger the check she’d get — and the more people took advantage of the program, the authors of the bill argued, the quicker the U.S. economy would recover from the 2009 financial crash.

But countless studies have shown that the Cash for Clunkers program accomplished neither its environmental nor economic goals — and it helped feed a new economic crisis as poor Americans were incentivized to take on more debt.

An economic “stimulus” that requires poor Americans to carry devastating long-term loan obligations on cars with little resale value in exchange for an initial discount is an unconscionable use of government funds — especially in the midst of a pandemic that experts predict will put tens of millions of more Americans into poverty. And if our goal is stimulate the economy, help the environment, and also improve social and literal mobility of vulnerable people, there are far better ways, i.e. making sustainable transportation safer, cheaper and more convenient.

But first, let’s quash the idea that Cash for Clunkers was ever a good idea for America — or that it would be a good idea now. Here are three reasons this program should never be repeated.
    edited November 2020
    Looks like Michigan is returning the favor for the bailouts politically. Cash for Clunkers was a national program though.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    https://www.axios.com/used-car-prices-chip-shortage-d69d5e98-6d0f-491d-895c-a769ec2e43e1.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiospm&stream=top

The average used vehicle is now worth $17,609, according to Manheim's Used Vehicle Value Index. Pickup trucks, in particular, are fetching much higher prices than they were worth just a few months ago.

Why it matters: The supply-and-demand dynamics are unlikely to change soon. The chip shortage is ongoing and has caused Ford, the maker of the best-selling vehicle in America, to cut its Q2 production by 50%.

Between the lines: Trade-ins are now becoming very difficult. Normally, dealers buy an old vehicle at a discount to what it's worth and hope to sell it at a profit.

Now, they need to worry that the whole market will crash from its current frothy highs.

The semiconductor shortage that is roiling the global auto industry will get worse before it gets better, Ford Motor Chief Executive Jim Farley warned Wednesday.

Why it matters: The chip shortage, which GM President Mark Reuss called the worst supply chain crisis in his career, means car buyers will continue to face fewer choices and higher prices.

And it's making the industry's pandemic recovery even harder.
    Driving the news: Ford said Wednesday it will produce half as many vehicles as planned in the second quarter because it can't get enough chips to power all the electronic components for its cars and trucks.

While the worst of the crisis is likely to hit in the second quarter, Farley told analysts the shortage will probably extend into 2022.
    Overall, Ford is expecting to produce 1.1 million fewer vehicles in 2021, causing a $2.5 billion hit to its bottom line.
    The big picture: The global chip shortage is hampering supply of all kinds of goods, from cars to smartphones to networking gear. But the auto industry has been hit the worst, partly because of its just-in-time supply chains.

When the pandemic hit last spring, auto factories closed and manufacturers sharply curtailed orders.
    But when demand picked up more quickly than expected, chip production had already been reallocated to the electronics industry.
    A fire at a Renesas Electronics chip plant only worsened the crisis.
    What they're saying: Qualcomm executives told Axios' Ina Fried that they expect the shortage to start easing, at least for them, by the end of the calendar year.

"We now have line of sight to material improvements for us toward the end of the calendar year," Qualcomm president and incoming CEO Cristiano Amon told Axios.
    What to watch: Farley said Ford needs to control more of its supply chain in the future to avoid similar catastrophes.

"We have learned a lot through this crisis that can be applied to many critical components, and it goes far beyond semi chips."
    "We're also thinking about what this means for the world of batteries, silicon, and other components that are mission critical."
    "When I look at the company, and where we have to vertically integrate, these are the areas that we’re going to bet on moving inside the company."

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica