Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    @cdnpinhead -- you might be interested in this 15-minute video of the disassembly of an Acura TSX 2.4 engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLrXm-wOCKE&t=460s
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    That was cool. Lot of sophisticated technology in there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited March 2020
    Acura and Honda both have unusually detailed and technical press kits that they release for each vehicle. And on their website they've even got old ones going back about 15 years. Here's some of the Acura press release for the 2008 Acura TSX....

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases/release-646e0573fb7532f37f0791004c34be0a-2008-acura-tsx-introduction

"September 12, 2007 — TORRANCE, Calif.
    2008 Acura TSX Press Kit
    INTRODUCTION

The TSX sports sedan complements the sporty TL and the luxurious RL in Acura's lineup of performance luxury sedans. The TSX is positioned as a stepping stone to other Acura products and provides luxury sedan buyers with an entry point to the Acura brand.

The front-wheel drive TSX is engineered and appointed to compete with Europe's best sedans in the sporty near-luxury segment (the European D segment). This segment includes cars such as the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series as well as the Volvo S40.

In keeping with its European competitors, the TSX driving character is sharply focused on the sporty end of the scale. Its double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension has sophisticated geometry that helps the TSX corner flat and resists acceleration lift and braking dive. In addition, the TSX has performance-minded Michelin MXM4 V-rated P215/50R17 tires, including a Tire Pressure Monitoring System™, 4-wheel disc brakes, and an impressive arsenal of electronic driver aids including Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control and an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). A highly refined power rack-and-pinion steering system provides outstanding road feel that rivals the best Europe can offer. The takeaway for the driver is an ultra-competent entry luxury sports sedan that's immensely fun to drive.

The TSX is powered by a 2.4-liter i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine that produces 205 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 164 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. The TSX is available with either a 6-speed manual transmission (constructed of a lightweight magnesium case) or a SportShift™ 5-speed automatic transmission that offers quick and precise gear changes. Thanks to i-VTEC® intelligent variable valve timing and lift, the engine provides a broad, useable powerband that's uncommon in a 4-cylinder engine, together with a stirring high-rpm power rush...."

It goes on and on for pages and pages, detailing the engine, transmissions, suspension, body structure, etc. But it also includes this part about the likely buyer of the TSX:

"Target Buyer
    Young. Hip. Technically astute. Raised on Japanese cars. Aspiring to own upscale brands. Target buyers are all of this and much more, but these terms perfectly define the buyers that are attracted to the distinctive styling of the TSX, its advanced engineering and its sporting handling. Today's leading automotive designs are sporty and aggressive, and TSX buyers will recognize these cues in this sporty Acura sedan.

These young and affluent buyers have an emotional attachment to their cars, but require a rational base to support their purchases. The TSX supports both needs with its outstanding handling, strong engine performance, distinctive overall design, and the world-class quality inherent in all Acura products."

Maybe that was you in 2008 @cdnpinhead !
    edited March 2020
    Today on a highway run of about 25 miles with speeds from about 65-75 mph I hit 40 mpg, which I guess shows i-vtec at work in the TLX. It also shows the efficiency of the dual clutch transmission, which is supposed to be even more efficient than a CVT. The more important thing was that I had more fun driving this route that I did in my 2016 Accord, and got mpg that was at least as good (and maybe slightly better). For those of you who know Louisville, this was a drive from the Bernheim Arboretum to Trader Joe's, and actually according to Google maps it's 28.6 miles.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    edited March 2020
    I've never been a young affluent buyer. I've been young, and I've been affluent, but not at the same time. I was a moderately old fart when I bought my TSX in 2008 and I'm a seriously old fart now. What I've wanted since about 2001 was a manual transmission RWD diesel vehicle, for reasons that I've gone over before but don't need to repeat here.

CARB generally made it impossible to bring the European diesels over here, but VW broke the code -- FWD though, so no sale. In 2008 when I bought the TSX the rumor was that there was going to be a diesel TSX in the next year or so. My plan was to keep the gas TSX until the diesel was shaken down for a year or two, then trade it in. That never happened, and here we are (or at least here I am).

My perfect vehicle would have been a 3-series BMW touring manual diesel. They were thick as fleas in Europe back then and are still around today, but not here. Never will be here, and the VW debacle, plus the market factors driving diesel fuel to a significantly higher price that gasoline (even PUG), has pretty much taken the bloom off the rose.

It's all a compromise, and I will never drive the vehicle I want in North America. The TSX comes as close as possible, so that's that.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Remember when spark plugs required replacement every 12k or less? In 75 GM increased the interval to 22.5k as unleaded gas replaced leaded. The Honda has a 105k interval. At 98k it still runs perfectly and gas mileage has not decreased. I’m a bit puzzled that the Q5 required spark plug replacement at 35k and a little less frequently there after. Spark plug replacement is straight forward on the Accord and I believe I will do it as the dealer wants almost $300. Sheesh.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    sda said:

Remember when spark plugs required replacement every 12k or less? In 75 GM increased the interval to 22.5k as unleaded gas replaced leaded. The Honda has a 105k interval. At 98k it still runs perfectly and gas mileage has not decreased. I’m a bit puzzled that the Q5 required spark plug replacement at 35k and a little less frequently there after. Spark plug replacement is straight forward on the Accord and I believe I will do it as the dealer wants almost $300. Sheesh.

Your Q5 has a direct injection engine, right? They require more frequent spark plug changes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Although my TLX has direct injection and it still has a 100k tune-up. In fact, sda's 2013 Accord has direct injection too and also 100k. Maybe something is different about Audi engines? Or Audi is ultra cautious in maintenance?
    edited March 2020
    nyccarguy said:

sda said:

Your Q5 has a direct injection engine, right? They require more frequent spark plug changes.
    The Accord does as well. My 06 Passat 2.0t also was DI, similar engine to the Q5 and had a propensity to throw the check engine light for cylinder misfire. I think the spark plug interval on it was 60k. Audi being cautious?

....It's all a compromise, and I will never drive the vehicle I want in North America. The TSX comes as close as possible, so that's that.

Your 2008 TSX will probably last as long as you want to drive it.

But you might like its successor the TLX. The 4-wheel steering makes the 4-cylinder TLX a lot of fun to drive. It feels unlike any other car in my almost 40 years of driving.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    I'm guessing it doesn't come with a manual transmission. I've sold my soul to the devil regarding front-wheel drive and have completely given up on the diesel thing, but this is the hill that I will die on, so to speak.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited March 2020
    I drove manuals from 1979 to 2016, and I so know some of what you're feeling. But when it came down to it, it turned out I wasn't as devoted to the manual as I thought. Yes, it was more fun and involving to drive, and sometimes I miss it. But part of it for me with the manual was also that I got faster acceleration than an auto, got better mpg, and paid less for a manual when buying the car. But these days the few manuals that you can find don't seem to cost any less, and no one can shift them as fast as, for instance, an 8-speed dual clutch, plus in the end the manuals get fewer mpg than the autos these days. They are still more fun to drive....

Anyway, back to Honda K24 engines, here's yet another video by another guy doing an elaborate rebuild combining k20 and K24 engines in a full rebuild with added parts and mods. I'm just amazing at how devoted and skilled these guys are. And check out his little Bob Ross parody starting at c. 4:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVz62krasJI
    not a stick left to be found at Acura sadly.

I saw a link yesterday to a recent C&D article listing all the manual trans options available now new. If you want to upsize an Accord sport 2.0t could work, and have some of that Honda familiarity. But I do think that the closest spiritual successor is the Jetta GLI.

edited March 2020
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing that you can get the Accord Sport with the 6-speed manual. I think you can also get it on the 1.5 turbo?

Oh, and there's also the Civic Si. But the problem for me with the Civic Si imho is that the current generation is overstyled. The TSX is such an elegant and understated car.
    unless they changed the 1.5 sport was pretty stripped, and the 2.0 was loaded up. And of course more power!

the Si is nice and fun driving, but definitely more on the sporty, edgy side. So really depends on what you are looking for.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    36/12 lease on an SI for $250/mo +tax, pretty easily, I think.
    (1st payment and DMV upfront)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The disassembly of a Honda 10-speed auto of the kind found in the Accord with the 2.0. Starting esp. at 21 minutes it's interesting to see the internal workings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdk6dD3vew&t=359s
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2020
    Another new mid-sized sedan is coming... the 2021 Optima. I think it looks even better than the new Sonata, especially in this color (which I think is the same color as on my 2020 Forte ;) ):

Speaking of the Forte, I continue to be blown away by its fuel economy. I typically average mid-40s in mixed driving around town plus urban freeway (EPA highway mpg is 40), but I put most of its miles on with a 48-mile round trip to a customer site, almost all urban highway & freeway. In January I was getting 51-52 mpg on those trips, which was amazing. But as the weather warmed it crept up to where I got two days in a row of 54.6. Then on my latest trip, my eyes popped out of my head (almost): 56.8 mpg. The engine is getting broken in, with 1600 miles so far, but the weather isn't quite ideal yet, with lows dipping into the 20s and highs most days in the 30s-40s. I can't wait to see what it will do with warmer temps (just cool enough to not use the A/C).

There's one thing I don't like about my Forte. I noticed the one time I've used cruise, which was on a cold day a few weeks ago, the RPM went WAY up when I engaged cruise, e.g. from ~1400 to ~2000. I thought that was odd, especially since I was driving on level ground, so I turned cruise off and on a few times, and it did the same thing every time. Since this will really hurt FE, and no other car I've ever driven has done this (including CVTs), I'm going to have the dealer check it out when I go in for the first oil change. I hardly ever use cruise, but I plan on taking the car on a 3000+ mile trip this December and will need cruise on that trip.
    this is just a normal 2.0 motor? No hybrid or turbo involved? I assume you are doing the calculation by hand not just using the TC?

impressive though.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    stickguy said:

this is just a normal 2.0 motor? No hybrid or turbo involved? I assume you are doing the calculation by hand not just using the TC?

impressive though.

It's just the standard 2.0 Atkinson cycle engine on the Forte.

The numbers I gave above are for individual trips, not a tank. I can't compare the TC calculations for a trip to a manual calculation at the pump as I don't fill up after every trip. And I do a lot of short trips (1-5 miles) in town in addition to the 48-mile round trips, and that obviously affects the overall FE and what's reflected at the pump. My long term experience with TCs on other Kias has been they're pretty accurate. Also the gas gauge is in sync with the TC numbers.

Right now I'm not putting hardly any miles on my car due to the stay-at-home order. Took it out for a drive around town yesterday just to get out of the house for awhile on a nice day (sunny, low 40s), got 48.8 mpg on the 60 mile trip which included some low-speed city driving with stops. First time in the car in over a week. :disappointed:
    Midsize sales for the first three months of 2020:

Camry 77,188
    Altima 47,347
    Accord 47,125
    Fusion 36,937
    Malibu 35,283
    Optima 20,345
    Sonata 15,602
    Legacy 6,535
    Passat 5,981
    Mazda6 4,506
    Wow, the Accord has really lost steam.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    sda said:

Wow, the Accord has really lost steam.

This generation never seemed to take off.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    They all seem to be down Camry in 2019 - 343,419
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I never really like this generation Accord either.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    benjaminh said:

Midsize sales for the first three months of 2020:

Camry 77,188
    Altima 47,347
    Accord 47,125
    Fusion 36,937
    Malibu 35,283
    Optima 20,345
    Sonata 15,602
    Legacy 6,535
    Passat 5,981
    Mazda6 4,506

What's the general opinion, or yours, on what midsize sedan sales are going to do in the next month or two....during this pandemic crisis? Expect incentive and rebates to drastically increase?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    backy said:

Another new mid-sized sedan is coming... the 2021 Optima. I think it looks even better than the new Sonata, especially in this color (which I think is the same color as on my 2020 Forte ;) ):

Speaking of the Forte, I continue to be blown away by its fuel economy. I typically average mid-40s in mixed driving around town plus urban freeway (EPA highway mpg is 40), but I put most of its miles on with a 48-mile round trip to a customer site, almost all urban highway & freeway. In January I was getting 51-52 mpg on those trips, which was amazing. But as the weather warmed it crept up to where I got two days in a row of 54.6. Then on my latest trip, my eyes popped out of my head (almost): 56.8 mpg. The engine is getting broken in, with 1600 miles so far, but the weather isn't quite ideal yet, with lows dipping into the 20s and highs most days in the 30s-40s. I can't wait to see what it will do with warmer temps (just cool enough to not use the A/C).

There's one thing I don't like about my Forte. I noticed the one time I've used cruise, which was on a cold day a few weeks ago, the RPM went WAY up when I engaged cruise, e.g. from ~1400 to ~2000. I thought that was odd, especially since I was driving on level ground, so I turned cruise off and on a few times, and it did the same thing every time. Since this will really hurt FE, and no other car I've ever driven has done this (including CVTs), I'm going to have the dealer check it out when I go in for the first oil change. I hardly ever use cruise, but I plan on taking the car on a 3000+ mile trip this December and will need cruise on that trip.

I test drove the Sonata last week. Mid level. Around $27k. Based on reviews, did not meet my expectations on styling....interior or exterior. Everything good. Ride, handling and comfort. But, nothing really stood out. Steering wheel cover and grip a bit bland. Cloth seats could have been nicer for the price. Really don't care for these thick black "waffle cone" grills many manufacturers are using.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    hard to say. right now seeing heavy finance incentives (deferred 1st payment and zero % interest). prices, no clue but there must be some discounts. How long the shutdown lasts will drive some of it, but IMO largely related to how quickly the economy bounces back to life.

quite possible there is a little flurry of activity (pent up demand, people celebrating?) initially, but there is somewhat of a fixed inventory since I don't think any cars are being made. So depending on when they shut down and how long it takes to ramp back up, might actually be a shortage for a bit.

so basically, I got no clue.

one other thought. if the economy is slow, people might be a bit more concerned about money, and usually Sedans are cheaper than CUVs, so could attract attention for that.

My brother bought a new Jeep compass in 2008, when the stock market crashed. Came with a LIFETIME bumper to bumper warranty. Which I would think to be automotive suicide. A Nissan dealership is offering lifetime powertrain warranty on their new cars. But, yeah, seems to be a bit of an educated guessing game.

benjaminh said:

Today on a highway run of about 25 miles with speeds from about 65-75 mph I hit 40 mpg, which I guess shows i-vtec at work in the TLX. It also shows the efficiency of the dual clutch transmission, which is supposed to be even more efficient than a CVT. The more important thing was that I had more fun driving this route that I did in my 2016 Accord, and got mpg that was at least as good (and maybe slightly better). For those of you who know Louisville, this was a drive from the Bernheim Arboretum to Trader Joe's, and actually according to Google maps it's 28.6 miles.

Is it time to fill up? 82 range. You’re right, I get similar mpg with the Accord. It delights me to have good performance with economical gas mileage. I do use top tier regular. Even with almost 98k I haven’t seen any decline in performance or mpg. Amazing. I will have the spark plugs changed at the recommended 105k.

edited April 2020
    jipster said:

What's the general opinion, or yours, on what midsize sedan sales are going to do in the next month or two....during this pandemic crisis? Expect incentive and rebates to drastically increase?

The incentives on regular midsize cars will almost certainly increase. But I don't they they'll ever get close to the $9500 incentive you've got right now on the TLX, which is a car that you've already said both you and your wife really like. When I got my TLX I got a $6250 incentive—and I thought that was a great deal! And you don't need to buy out your lease and finance if you don't want to, which sounds to me like a hassle. I'm just keeping my lease, and then when it ends I've got what seems like a fair residual buy out for my TLX of for $18,500. I'm planning to finance that when the time comes. I'm a teacher, and I'm working summer school to save up the money lol!
    edited April 2020
    @sda : Your 2013 Accord probably has at least another 100,000 miles in it, and maybe quite a bit more. Like the Accord the TLX has a c. 17 gallon gas tank. The miles left to empty though give you plenty of room for error. After multiple tests I've figured out that when it reads 0 miles left I still have c. 2 gallons left in the tank.
    edited April 2020
    stickguy said:

The new Accord is probably the best of the regular midsize cars, but it sure isn't anywhere close to a TLX. The Accord's styling is a bit unusual from every angle, which imho has hurt sales.
    benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

The new Accord is probably the best of the regular midsize cars, but it sure isn't anywhere close to a TLX. The Accord's styling is a bit unusual from every angle, which imho has hurt sales.
    The current Accord drives well and the EXL and above have nice features and luxury touches though I am disappointed with the hard plastic instead of soft touch rear door window sill. The upgraded 450w audio system plays loud but lacks warmth, depth. I enjoyed the Touring Hybrid rental that I drove while the Accord was having the starter replaced.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    sda said:

benjaminh said:

stickguy said:

The current Accord drives well and the EXL and above have nice features and luxury touches though I am disappointed with the hard plastic instead of soft touch rear door window sill. The upgraded 450w audio system plays loud but lacks warmth, depth. I enjoyed the Touring Hybrid rental that I drove while the Accord was having the starter replaced.
    Very hard to argue against an Accord EXL with the 2.0T engine/10AT.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited April 2020
    nyccarguy said:

Very hard to argue against an Accord EXL with the 2.0T engine/10AT.

Or the Accord Sport with the super-rare 6-speed manual, at least for that very small group that still likes to shift for themselves. I do miss that sometimes.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    jipster said:

My brother bought a new Jeep compass in 2008, when the stock market crashed. Came with a LIFETIME bumper to bumper warranty. Which I would think to be automotive suicide. A Nissan dealership is offering lifetime powertrain warranty on their new cars. But, yeah, seems to be a bit of an educated guessing game.

I'd frankly take a $500 rebate over a "lifetime" warranty from a struggling car maker.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited July 2020
    The base model of the new Hyundai Sonata is a really good value, esp. because it has standard Apple Carplay/AndroidAuto. With this discount from my local dealer it's not only less than a new Accord LX (which doesn't have Apple CP/AA), it's almost down to the price of a base Honda Civic LX. And new Hyundais not only come with their 10 year/100k engine and transmission warranty, they now also throw in standard maintenance for the first 3 years. For a first-time car buyer this is a great value in a midsize sedan.

https://www.hyundaioflouisville.com/inventory/new-2020-hyundai-sonata-se-fwd-4d-sedan-5npeg4ja2lh014909/

But the 0-60 acceleration with the Accord LX 1.5T with the CVT was measured by C&D at 6.8 seconds, while Alex on Autos tested the Sonata with the standard engine at 7.9. Plus the Accord's tires even for the base model are 225/50R17s, while for the Sonata you're looking at P205/65R16. Handling for the Accord is going to be better. That remains true for the upper models too, as Edmunds says in their comparison at the end....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Jnw576zW0
    edited July 2020
    The 206 horsepower I have in my 2018 TLX is enough for me, but it's true that more power might be fun too. The 2021 TLX with the 2 liter turbo is going to have 272 horsepower. But that same 2.0T engine is also available in the Accord, although without premium fuel horsepower drops to 252. There are several things you lose in terms of engineering and style by going from the new TLX to the Accord, but you obviously save some money. The Accord EXL 2.0T (msrp $32,570) is already is pretty luxurious, but the top-of-the-line Touring adds several features for an msrp of $36,400. At $3830 that's a somewhat expensive option package, but for the heck of it I decided to add up all of the features added with the Touring Accord with subjective numbers for what each feature might be "worth" to me....

Ventilated front seats $500
    Heated rear seats: $500
    Wireless phone charger $200
    19” wheels/235 Michelin tires $400
    Adaptive damper system $1200
    Head Up Display $400
    Built-in navigation: $400
    Hondalink: $200
    Near Field Communication (instant phone pairing): $200
    Door handle ambient lighting/chrome handles: $200
    Rain sensing wipers: $400
    Full led headlights w/auto on/off: $200
    Parking sensors: $400
    Reverse gear tilt down side mirrors: $200
    wifi hotspot for car: $200

That all adds up to $5600, which makes the Touring Accord seem like a good deal to me over the EXL. The feature that most interests me in the Touring are the electronically controlled shocks, which prevent body roll in cornering, while providing comfort over rough roads.
    YMMV! I get at least $1,900 of your list that I would not pay extra for, and that does not include the active dampers which I probably don't want, especially if buying to keep a long time. Sounds like expensive trouble down the road! So that adds up to $3,200 deducted, so the touring is "worth" $2,200" to me at your valuations.

the only options I really want are the LED auto lights, ventilated seats, and HUD. and I will easily live without the last 2.

Not sure what lights and stereo the EXL has, but if they are acceptable, I would stick with that trim level. which really is one heck of a deal!

edited July 2020
    The stereo is the same at the EXL level, but you don't get full led headlights with the EXL.

I just looked it up, and adaptive dampers are a $2400 option on a BMW 3-series. My guess is that adaptive dampers might last about 10 years/100,000 miles. Since I rarely keep my cars that long I probably wouldn't worry about it.

But it's true that if I keep my 2018 TLX for 200k miles or so I'd save some money there.
    edited July 2020
    The less expensive way to get an Accord Touring is to go with the hybrid model, which saves $960 over the 2.0 turbo. But right now there's an additional $1000 loyalty/conquest incentive available only on the Hybrid Accord, which means that you can save about $2k by going for the hybrid Touring over the 2.0T Touring. That brings the msrp of the Hybrid Touring before negotiation down to $34,440. But, as much as I'd like to save $500-$800 a year on gas, I only feel lukewarm about the performance and engine sound of the hybrid.
    edited July 2020
    The Accord is going to get a major refresh for the 2021 model year that will be revealed fairly soon. Since I'm not a big fan of the current front and rear styling of the Accord, I'm hoping that the new style will be more to my liking. And from past experience Honda doesn't just change the styling, but also adds a few other improvements when they do a refresh.

I'm still likely to just buy out my 2018 TLX, but the refreshed Accord will be on my shopping list.

Also on my shopping list will be the all-new TLX. Still seems too big and too fancy for me, but I think it's going to drive in a wonderful way that's beyond the Accord. Plus since I don't need every one of the 272 horsepower for my driving style, putting regular gas it it would save at the pump. I want the full power with premium with the 2.4, but for me that wouldn't be needed with the 2.0T.
    I am interested in the 2021 Accord refresh as well. As replacing my current Accord is not happening in the near future, the 2021 may have my name on it.

edited July 2020
    Here's the color I like for the current Accord Hybrid Touring. In this color combo it actually looks pretty good to me. I actually like the hybrid's wheels better than the wheels on the EXL and Touring.

edited July 2020
    I think I like this color even better, which is called Champagne frost pearl....

edited July 2020
    Here's a photo of the wheel and tire on the Accord Touring 2.0.

edited July 2020
    Staying at home so much during this quarantine is giving me more time to think about my possible next car purchase than I should have lol.

Anyway, I admit that at this point luxury and performance matter for me more than mpg. But gas costs are a factor too. The epa mpg comparison site is handy for that, and to my surprise I might save gas with an Accord 2.0T compared to my TLX 2.4 because of the switch from premium to regular gas, and I might save even more with a hybrid. There's even a small potentially savings with the 2.0T Touring.

Over the last 9000+ miles my average mpg in the TLX 2.4 has been 31.6—and so 4.6 mpg higher than the epa rating. While according to the epa I could theoretically save $850 a year in gas by going from my TLX to the hybrid Accord, the reality is that the Accord hybrid seems to do worse than its epa rating of 47 by maybe 5-8 mpg in the real world. Car and Driver said that in their test that their observed mpg was 40.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a21755133/2018-honda-accord-hybrid-fuel-efficient/

In other words, I think at most I'd save about $500 a year switching from my TLX to the Accord hybrid. Plus, the tires on the hybrid, not surprisingly, are maximizing efficiency rather than corning performance, and this is what C&D said about that:

"In its quest for maximum mpg, the hybrid wears low-rolling-resistance 225/50R-17 Michelin Energy Saver A/S all-season tires, and they're not particularly grippy. Although the steering is reasonably direct and turn-in is snappy, the front end starts to push in even moderately aggressive cornering. The Accord hybrid registered just 0.83 g on our skidpad; that's compared with 0.86 g for our long-term Accord and 0.90 g for the Accord Sport, a model that delights in such maneuvers."

The Touring 2.0T iirc has the same tires as the Accord Sport.

We all know the extreme things done to achieve the near-impossible 0-60 numbers for magazines, but I think they are useful for comparison. Even if in the real world we'd never get those numbers, it's true that a car that tests as being slower to 60 for a magazine is almost certainly slower in the real world as well. And when it comes to that, C&D tested the TLX 2.4 as going 0-60 in 6.8, while it says the Accord hybrid is at 7.1 That's a small difference, but if I'm going to the expense of getting a new car I probably don't want it to be slower.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15108541/2015-acura-tlx-24l-test-review/

that red over tan Accord is sharp. I would get that color combo. I already figured out that if I got an Accord, it would be the Hybrid.

I actually want to see the new for 2021 Civic in person. More the size that I want, and of course, cheaper! wonder if the hatch can be had with a stick, on a decent trim level? I did look at the current Civic, but really did not like the seats (even the power ones had too short cushions I think).