Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

I would bet that at least 95% of brain surgeons don't know how to change a fuse.
    I see cdnpinhead is one of your biggest fans....likes to lol's you no matter what the remark.

I have changed fuses in the old days.....these days it would be easier to do more harm than good if you do the wrong thing. I haven't had a fuse go in at least 15 years - if I had to I could easily youtube it. You should know what they say about a lawyer who defends himself;
    The man who defends himself in court has a fool for a lawyer and a jackass for a client
    It applies to a modern car - you could do more harm than good (won't mention DIY oil changes). Best to call the guy!

btw....They say it is easy to change that auxiliary battery, but, you have to know what you are doing or you could mess up the electrical system. I'd rather pay the extra $100 to $200 and let the guy do it right, and have the liability, than do it wrong and have a $2000 repair. I looked up changing fuses in an MB awhile ago.....it seems easy, but, the dealer is less than a mile away and would do it....I have to get the part anyway, so why would I even do it myself?

I get it; you don’t want to be bothered in the slightest with respect to maintaining and/or repairing the cars you wear. And while I get it, I can’t help but find it extremely amusing.

I love music...but, I can't sing or play an instrument...I am tone deaf in that sense. You like the mechanics of a car...no problem, I like the design and the feel of driving them - not much interest in the mechanics.
    I get no enjoyment out of fixing a car, there are other things I would much rather do.
    Everyone is different in what they like and what suits them, just accept it. No need to impose your values onto other people. If you like fixing your car then do it.....not everyone else has to feel the same way.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    edited April 2020
    Took the ATS to the dealer this AM to get serviced and the CEL looked into. The social distancing measures they have taken are minimal, and mostly laughable. They have a rope line (those padded things you see in banks and theaters, whatever they're called) separating you a few feet from the counter, but still within reaching distance. You still have to sign papers, and if you get a loaner, hand over license and credit cards. And they still do the upsell.

I got a Caddy XT6 loaner this time. Bad colors, an unattractive metallic gray with a black interior of course. Seems big to me but I gather it is the size of an Enclave or Traverse. Lots of geegaws inside. Not a fan of the slab of shiny gray plastiwood (I presume) on the dash. Drives remarkably well for such a big boat. It has a 9-speed transmission apparently and the ratios seem well chosen as it moves out nicely both from rest and on the highway at speed. Still not a fan of the dumb electronic beer-tap shifter.

I did see a few CT5s on the dealer lot as I was leaving, the first they received. Nowhere near as impressive-looking as the CTS it replaced. Can't get past that C-pillar treatment with the shiny black plastic triangle, like a Cruze or Corolla. They had one that had all the bright exterior trim blacked out which minimized that look (it was painted black), which helped.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Imid.....that alternate battery must have lost it's charge, like you thought, now it is OK, the warning light is off.
    Stick, I took your advice, MrsD100 followed me to the dealer....my car is in for prepaid servicing.
    When I came out, we saw that the warning light was off.
    We drove home then I took it for a 20 mile run on the highway....the GLK is running beautifully.
    The service manager said those batteries go after about 4 years....cost between $400 and $600.
    I guess we should get another years use out of it anyway.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited April 2020

By a happy coincidence, I’m a fan of cdnpinhead as well; we both find the same things laughable.

Yeah, it's a kindred spirit kind of thing.

When I was younger I did the sorts of things that @qbrozen does -- completely rebuilt my MG engine, the 240Z engine (after 195K miles) and the junkyard engine I put in the Datsun 510 I bought used; installed an aftermarket cruise control in my Miata, and many u-joint and shock/strut replacements in the Datsuns, and on and on. Nowdays cars require much less maintenance (I don't miss rebuilding carbs a bit) and I've found a great indy shop for anything on the Acura beyond oil/filter changes and the semi-annual winter tire changeovers.

Anyway, to me a car is a means to an end, which is the trip, and being able to address minor stuff on the road is something I consider essential. Over the years there have been a number of times I was able to fix something in a few minutes on the road that would have taken hours if I had to wait for a tow truck and the ensuing drama.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

one downside to the low cars with "sporty" front air dams. My TLX has a faux splitter lip, and it will scrape on even modest parking blocks, stuff that either RDX does not even notice. Will also scrape at the bottom of my driveway if I don't hit it at the right spot/angle.

Yes, my ATS has the same affliction. A couple of times a year I need to lie down on my back in the driveway with the touch-up paint and fill in the gouges.
    I'm probably gonna get hit with some flak for this but I'm kinda surprised to hear you admit to this. Wouldn't it just be a lot easier to learn how low your car sits? Once would have been enough for me. :o

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    jmonroe said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

one downside to the low cars with "sporty" front air dams. My TLX has a faux splitter lip, and it will scrape on even modest parking blocks, stuff that either RDX does not even notice. Will also scrape at the bottom of my driveway if I don't hit it at the right spot/angle.

Yes, my ATS has the same affliction. A couple of times a year I need to lie down on my back in the driveway with the touch-up paint and fill in the gouges.
    I'm probably gonna get hit with some flak for this but I'm kinda surprised to hear you admit to this. Wouldn't it just be a lot easier to learn how low your car sits? Once would have been enough for me. :o

jmonroe
    On top of that, he should have call “the guy”- no telling how much expensive damage he risked causing by attempting the repair on his own.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

By a happy coincidence, I’m a fan of cdnpinhead as well; we both find the same things laughable.

When I was younger I did the sorts of things that @qbrozen does -- completely rebuilt my MG engine, the 240Z engine (after 195K miles) and the junkyard engine I put in the Datsun 510 I bought used; installed an aftermarket cruise control in my Miata, and many u-joint and shock/strut replacements in the Datsuns, and on and on. Nowdays cars require much less maintenance (I don't miss rebuilding carbs a bit) and I've found a great indy shop for anything on the Acura beyond oil/filter changes and the semi-annual winter tire changeovers.

Anyway, to me a car is a means to an end, which is the trip, and being able to address minor stuff on the road is something I consider essential. Over the years there have been a number of times I was able to fix something in a few minutes on the road that would have taken hours if I had to wait for a tow truck and the ensuing drama.

As was discussed in another forum, at least we are in absolutely no danger of having to turn in our Man(bun) Cards...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

jmonroe said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Clearly, JM, I am just a dimbulb compared to your brilliant self.

OTOH, I don't have someone chasing me around the dining room table brandishing a frying pan, so there's that.

jmonroe said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    On top of that, he should have call “the guy”- no telling how much expensive damage he risked causing by attempting the repair on his own.
    You have to keep "The Guy" employed so he will still be around when you really do need him.

I'd rather have a newer car so I don't have to stop at all at the side of the road.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Well, at least we got that out of the way. It was inevitable.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    edited April 2020
    stickguy said:

“Older cars to me depends on how devoted to want to be to care and feeding, and what you use them for. Really older cars don’t lend themselves to longer trips and every day use. We will always have a newer/lower miles “good” car for that. But a 2nd car that doesn’t drive much and rarely gets far from home, sure, let your beater flag fly!”

You realize that you are channeling Scotty Kilmer, right?

driver100 said that you can park your hooptie at Walmart without fear. I park my newest car right up front but my next newest car somewhere over the horizon. Guess it depends on how much you value your cars.

I started grocery shopping at Wally World because they don’t have stripped shelves or crazy check out restrictions like my regular market. While I was there I picked up some off brand paper towels and TP. Sign said “1 to a customer”.

At the counter I saw a woman fighting with the staff over buying too many paper products. She claimed that since she had bought one of every brand each counted as only one. Nice trick but the staff wasn’t buying it. I heard her talking on the phone to her sister that she needed more in case they declared Martial Law.

I thought we were turning the corner.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

You can have the last word....but, I don't get what was inevitable?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Be sure to check the origin of the product, too. Simply being shipped from a US address won't help at all. I learned this when ordering some USB charging cables that ended up being counterfeit.

Re Amazon order of KN95 masks:

Amazon requires contacting the seller with complaints. I did that. I received a response as soon
    as the sun was up in China from the seller. They sort of apologized and gave a nebulous explanation
    of blame. Offered a $5 refund for the two missing items. Fine. Done. Remind me to order on shore only.

At the counter I saw a woman fighting with the staff over buying too many paper products. She claimed that since she had bought one of every brand each counted as only one. Nice trick but the staff wasn’t buying it. I heard her talking on the phone to her sister that she needed more in case they declared Martial Law.

A friend was at the grocery store and the woman behind him kept moving up close to him. He asked her politely to keep her distance from him.....6 feet.
    After paying for his groceries he heard her telling the cashier how rude he was for saying that to her!
    Go figure, they are out there!

Were there any other customers in the building? I was lucky when I took my car in for service last week, I was the only customer there until I left. Plenty of employees around and loaners in stock, but as it was just a service, I waited, took ~90 minutes. They told me volumes are down around ~90%. Sales are closed, but the showroom was still open.

You should have tried to get a CT6 :) I read a glowing review of the CT5, (C&D I think) but they too called out that dorky C-pillar. What was Caddy thinking with that? Seems lazy and slapped on.
    ab348 said:

Took the ATS to the dealer this AM to get serviced and the CEL looked into. The social distancing measures they have taken are minimal, and mostly laughable. They have a rope line (those padded things you see in banks and theaters, whatever they're called) separating you a few feet from the counter, but still within reaching distance. You still have to sign papers, and if you get a loaner, hand over license and credit cards. And they still do the upsell.

I did see a few CT5s on the dealer lot as I was leaving, the first they received. Nowhere near as impressive-looking as the CTS it replaced. Can't get past that C-pillar treatment with the shiny black plastic triangle, like a Cruze or Corolla. They had one that had all the bright exterior trim blacked out which minimized that look (it was painted black), which helped.

Those people should be removed and trespassed. The customer is not always right. The customer is probably not even usually right. And to think, those people vote. If I ran the store, it'd be as simple as "you're done, bud".

Regarding affording new cars, I think most of us here can, but the barrier of justifying it is not easy to overcome. Priorities differ, and that's fine. I've been happy having a relatively modern daily driver I don't have to worry much about, and an old car to fuss about should that become appealing.

stickguy said:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited April 2020
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Imid, probably consolidating truck traffic to just going to amazon warehouses. Not as much to more local stores.

Jackpot.And I do see as many Prime trucks (semis) moving the freight. East-west on I70 and I75/I675. FedEx doubles aren't as frequent, at least in daytime, as they were on I70. We have a local drop for FedEx but most of them are traveling through. Columbus-Indianapolis.

FedEx Freight is a trucking company. Like Roadway or Yellow. That is who pulls mostly double trailers. They are the biggest LTL freight carrier in the country (I think).

FedEx Ground pulls some doubles, but not as many. There are big Ground hub/transfer facilities in a lot of locations. Grove City has a really big one.

FedEx Express. That is the overnight and 2-day guaranteed packages, along with some time definite heavy freight. That is the station you see by the DAY airport. FedEx Express flies directly in there from Memphis.

FedEx Express also has a giant air hub at IND airport. But, anything Dayton gets from IND would be trucked to and from that hub.
    I checked and the one in Huber Heights is FedEx Freight. That's where a lot of doubles pull in and out onto I70. Very courteous drivers.

And I decided to look for a FedEx Ground location. I'll be surprised again: there is one across from the DAY international airport. I found it from maps.google. Can't see it from the Dixie Highway that borders the airport. It is mostly long trailers but there were some doubles parked around the lot (satellite image).

And of course the FedEx Express location at the airport where I've picked up and dropped off packages. They have a 767 or similar FedEx plane that parks there through the day. I assume it goes out at night and returns early for incoming express that arrives by air.

I learned long ago the different arms of FedEx have different colors for their logo "Ground", "Freight," and "Express" on the trailers.

I have learned some new things today.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

ab348 said:

jmonroe said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Clearly, JM, I am just a dimbulb compared to your brilliant self.

OTOH, I don't have someone chasing me around the dining room table brandishing a frying pan, so there's that.
    I knew it and I even called it. So maybe I am somewhat brilliant.

As for being chased around the dining room table. Never once did Mrs. j have to resort to brandishing a frying pan. I don't know where you got that. Maybe you were reading between the lines.

A little more about this "brilliant self" thing. I wanted to be a brain surgeon but they wouldn't allow me to enter med school. That was a real kick in the pants for a kid to learn that you have to realize your limitations. So, I had to settle on a career much less demanding but it seemed to work out. Where I really screwed up was not going to dental school. I'm almost positive I could have made that work because I always liked to work with my hands and cause pain.

jmonroe

fintail said:

Were there any other customers in the building? I was lucky when I took my car in for service last week, I was the only customer there until I left. Plenty of employees around and loaners in stock, but as it was just a service, I waited, took ~90 minutes. They told me volumes are down around ~90%. Sales are closed, but the showroom was still open.

You should have tried to get a CT6 :) I read a glowing review of the CT5, (C&D I think) but they too called out that dorky C-pillar. What was Caddy thinking with that? Seems lazy and slapped on.

There was a pickup in the drive-thru bays ahead of me but I was the only customer inside at the counter. It seemed very slow.

They just called, turns out there was a bulletin on my CEL issue, a "software anomaly" that required a reprogramming of the ECM. Heading back now to pick it up.

I read that C&D review of the CT5, if it was the one I saw it was for the new V-series, a pale imitation of the former pavement-tearing one, but a useful upgrade from the weak and disappointing standard setup. This dealer only had one CT6 that I was aware of, a black on black version (of course, since that represents half of what they order - my car must have been a mistake).

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Imid, probably consolidating truck traffic to just going to amazon warehouses. Not as much to more local stores.

Jackpot.And I do see as many Prime trucks (semis) moving the freight. East-west on I70 and I75/I675. FedEx doubles aren't as frequent, at least in daytime, as they were on I70. We have a local drop for FedEx but most of them are traveling through. Columbus-Indianapolis.

FedEx Freight is a trucking company. Like Roadway or Yellow. That is who pulls mostly double trailers. They are the biggest LTL freight carrier in the country (I think).

FedEx Ground pulls some doubles, but not as many. There are big Ground hub/transfer facilities in a lot of locations. Grove City has a really big one.

FedEx Express. That is the overnight and 2-day guaranteed packages, along with some time definite heavy freight. That is the station you see by the DAY airport. FedEx Express flies directly in there from Memphis.

FedEx Express also has a giant air hub at IND airport. But, anything Dayton gets from IND would be trucked to and from that hub.
    I checked and the one in Huber Heights is FedEx Freight. That's where a lot of doubles pull in and out onto I70. Very courteous drivers.

And I decided to look for a FedEx Ground location. I'll be surprised again: there is one across from the DAY international airport. I found it from maps.google. Can't see it from the Dixie Highway that borders the airport. It is mostly long trailers but there were some doubles parked around the lot (satellite image).

And of course the FedEx Express location at the airport where I've picked up and dropped off packages. They have a 767 or similar FedEx plane that parks there through the day. I assume it goes out at night and returns early for incoming express that arrives by air.

I learned long ago the different arms of FedEx have different colors for their logo "Ground", "Freight," and "Express" on the trailers.
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with what they fly, now. Also, I think they are starting to give up the color scheme, though I'm sure there is some un-updated equipment/uniforms.

I've jump-seated quite a few times out of DAY (727s) In the '80s, Cincinnati freight came into DAY. They didn't have flights into Cincinnati until around 1989, I think. There is nothing quite like the view of landing from the cockpit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    fintail said:

Be sure to check the origin of the product, too. Simply being shipped from a US address won't help at all. I learned this when ordering some USB charging cables that ended up being counterfeit.

I prefer to analyze the quality rather than origin. 9/10 times, there is a superior aftermarket solution. One example is Apple lightning cables. Those things are JUNK. I eventually found an aftermarket solution sold by Amazon that have been flawless and show no signs of wear after a couple years of use. Cheaper and longer than OEM cables, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2020
    driver100 said:

Imid.....that alternate battery must have lost it's charge, like you thought, now it is OK, the warning light is off.

That's great news for you. I should take credit for clairvoyance, but it was just dumb guessing using the KISS technique and starting diagnosis with the simplest and easiest solutions.
    driver100 said:

The service manager said those batteries go after about 4 years....cost between $400 and $600.
    I guess we should get another years use out of it anyway.

They cost HOW MUCH!!! Wow. Must be a normal size battery made out of gold--Oh WAIT. It's a Mercedes battery. I would suggest checking price at an independent box store. LOL

But on a more serious note, I'd ask how that battery should be treated to maintain a charge during long periods of sitting. The service guru at MB should be able to tell you how to do that.

I just keep wondering why it didn't recharge when your wife drove the car when she was home midwinter. How many miles/hours did she actually drive the car?

driver100 said:

Man, you got me. I never would have thought you'd relinquish the "last word". All you have to do now is prove it to us.

jmonroe

stickguy said:

This "country lawyering" thing must be contagious.

jmonroe

edited April 2020
    imidazol97
    That's great news for you. I should take credit for clairvoyance, but it was just dumb guessing using the KISS technique and starting diagnosis with the simplest and easiest solutions.

1)They cost HOW MUCH!!! Wow. Must be a normal size battery made out of gold--Oh WAIT. It's a Mercedes battery.
    2)But on a more serious note, I'd ask how that battery should be treated to maintain a charge during long periods of sitting. The service guru at MB should be able to tell you how to do that.

3)I just keep wondering why it didn't recharge when your wife drove the car when she was home midwinter. How many miles/hours did she actually drive the car?

It was a good educated guess, not luck.
    1) That is the price installed. I could probably buy a battery separately, and then find an indie guy to install it....but, why mess with it when the car is under warranty? (Meaning...I will pay but he might do something to void the warranty)
    2) I don't think they consider this battery would need a trickle charger attached. Since it's only real use seems to be the stop start feature, and since their expected life is only 3 to 5 years, I guess they figure it can still get charged up during that time.
    3) MrsD100 came home in December.....weather had been fairly mild....drove about 100 miles total no problem. February was different. It was so cold, even though car is in garage, it started but she went about 1/2 a block to see a neighbor/friend. She got back home, temp that night was about 8F, car wouldn't start the next day....that is when the alternate battery probably lost it's juice.

Today, when she stopped the first time the engine stayed on and the warning light was on. By the second light the warning light was off, and the engine was turning off again. I showed her the button you have to press every time you start the car to disable the stop/start feature.

One article said there are so much electronics on these cars they need the auxiliary battery.

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

Man, you got me. I never would have thought you'd relinquish the "last word". All you have to do now is prove it to us.

jmonroe

These were for a Samsung device. Bought as "OEM", I was suspicious when they were marked China instead of Vietnam. They didn't charge at the same rate, and eventually the plastic sheathing cracked (while my original OEM cables remain fine to this day). Lesson learned. Origin may not be a guarantee, but sometimes there's a relationship.
    qbrozen said:

I prefer to analyze the quality rather than origin. 9/10 times, there is a superior aftermarket solution. One example is Apple lightning cables. Those things are JUNK. I eventually found an aftermarket solution sold by Amazon that have been flawless and show no signs of wear after a couple years of use. Cheaper and longer than OEM cables, too.

edited April 2020
    Software anomaly sounds like a German car thing. Just turn it off and restart :)

That was the review, yeah - not as good as a real "V", but they still had many kind words about the car, while still calling out the regrettable C-pillar. I rode in a CT6 hybrid with a friend who test drove it - he was quite impressed, but the local dealer wouldn't even honor the national pricing offers on the main Caddy website, so he walked. I wonder how cheaply it sold for in the end after sitting around. Nice car though, the one I'd pick from the lineup.
    ab348 said:

They just called, turns out there was a bulletin on my CEL issue, a "software anomaly" that required a reprogramming of the ECM. Heading back now to pick it up.

I read that C&D review of the CT5, if it was the one I saw it was for the new V-series, a pale imitation of the former pavement-tearing one, but a useful upgrade from the weak and disappointing standard setup. This dealer only had one CT6 that I was aware of, a black on black version (of course, since that represents half of what they order - my car must have been a mistake).

Are those loonies or greenbacks?

I had a battery issue a couple times in 2018 with a 2016 (May 2015 build) car. For one, I was gone for 3 weeks, came home to a dead battery. A couple months later, car was idle for a week, dead battery. Before both, the car had only been driven on short trips. I was told the short trips were the culprit, as the car needs to be driven for awhile now and then. No similar issues on the new car, but I have been driving more, or at least I was. It also has a third battery installed with the dashcam.

Meanwhile, the fintail, which has a generator but also experiences no real draw when idle, has a battery from 2014 still going strong.
    driver100 said:

It was a good educated guess, not luck.
    1) That is the price installed. I could probably buy a battery separately, and then find an indie guy to install it....but, why mess with it when the car is under warranty? (Meaning...I will pay but he might do something to void the warranty)
    2) I don't think they consider this battery would need a trickle charger attached. Since it's only real use seems to be the stop start feature, and since their expected life is only 3 to 5 years, I guess they figure it can still get charged up during that time.
    3) MrsD100 came home in December.....weather had been fairly mild....drove about 100 miles total no problem. February was different. It was so cold, even though car is in garage, it started but she went about 1/2 a block to see a neighbor/friend. She got back home, temp that night was about 8F, car wouldn't start the next day....that is when the alternate battery probably lost it's juice.

Today, when she stopped the first time the engine stayed on and the warning light was on. By the second light the warning light was off, and the engine was turning off again. I showed her the button you have to press every time you start the car to disable the stop/start feature.

One article said there are so much electronics on these cars they need the auxiliary battery.

edited April 2020
    fintail said:

Are those loonies or greenbacks?

I had a battery issue a couple times in 2018 with a 2016 (May 2015 build) car. For one, I was gone for 3 weeks, came home to a dead battery. A couple months later, car was idle for a week, dead battery. Before both, the car had only been driven on short trips.

Meanwhile, the fintail, which has a generator but also experiences no real draw when idle, has a battery from 2014 still going strong.

driver100 said:

Those are loonies, $400 to $600. That translates into about $250 to $400 USD's probably. Probably labor has gone up a lot in that time too.
    The fintail doesn't have the electronics the new ones have, so it will probably last longer.
    I sometimes admire the simplicity of the C250, but, when I drove the E400 home after the servicing, I know why I put up with the extra complexity....it is like a magical experience driving it, and it is such a pleasure these days when only about 20% of the usual cars are on the road.

I've bought a few things with the Amazon Basic label, indicating it's their branded item, and have
    been very satisfied. Household batteries. Cables. Paper shredder.

edited April 2020
    I think the China mask thing is happening again on the second order of masks. It showed that it shipped from California to Illinois. And then nothing has shown up from there. It's due on Friday, so we'll see.

The China seller has completely disappeared from Ebay as far as any items for sale. Hmmm.

It used to be all the scams and frauds came from Nigeria. Now is it China?

I had thought were we to ever decide to replace Malibu with an SUV, the Envision would be a nice
    size, but it's from China. So there goes that.

Amazon really does amaze me sometimes. On Sunday I decided to buy Lucy the cat a little harness vest thing to see if she could get used to it by the time we have deck weather. I think she might like being out there with me tied off on a lead that lets her wander around the deck. It came this morning. Guy in a Corolla with the back seat stuffed full of envelopes dropped it in my mailbox. New economy indeed.

ATS is back, XT6 returned. They treat them as in-house rentals so you have to put gas into them before returning. Every other loaner I've had from there has taken $5 to $10 of gas. This one took $1.50. Some of that is due to the lower gas prices but only a bit. The rest never had gas put in them by the previous user I'm sure.

After I got home I built an XT6 on Cadillac Canada's site to see exactly what I was driving was worth.Near as I could figure it was $72K-$75K Cdn. You have to be kidding me. Not a chance.

edited April 2020
    Before the panic caused by the foreign virus, many things I ordered would deliver the next day. The computing power of the systems Amazon uses must be outstanding and the programming to locate and plan logistical movement is great.

Many packages hit Cincinnati (CVG airport) by early am or so, and came from there to DAY by USPS same day. So if something could be moved from a warehouse to Amazon's new warehouse at CVG, things were faster than hoped for.

Many packages came from distant places second day. Just depends on where the items are warehoused. I'm always impressed when two things are ordered on same day and Amazon can consolidate the package and delivery as one.

Even more amazing was a few years back we shipped a package by 2:30 pm at local post office, and USPS sent it to Cincinnati, then it went to a sorting hub in Detroit Metro area, and got delivered to our friend in Plymouth the next day. The timing and stars lined up on how the packages moved within their system.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I ordered an immersion blender and a regular blender from Kohl's and they arrived in a day. Looking at the labels they have a distribution center in Middletown, OH. Good to know for future needs because we always went to the actual store for instant gratification to avoid waiting 4-5 days.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    That's close to us. We ordered something from Kohls and were surprised it came from so close to home.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

stickguy said:

“Older cars to me depends on how devoted to want to be to care and feeding, and what you use them for. Really older cars don’t lend themselves to longer trips and every day use. We will always have a newer/lower miles “good” car for that. But a 2nd car that doesn’t drive much and rarely gets far from home, sure, let your beater flag fly!”

You realize that you are channeling Scotty Kilmer, right?

driver100 said that you can park your hooptie at Walmart without fear. I park my newest car right up front but my next newest car somewhere over the horizon. Guess it depends on how much you value your cars.

I started grocery shopping at Wally World because they don’t have stripped shelves or crazy check out restrictions like my regular market. While I was there I picked up some off brand paper towels and TP. Sign said “1 to a customer”.

Crikey!!!!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    pensfan83 said:

I ordered an immersion blender and a regular blender from Kohl's and they arrived in a day. Looking at the labels they have a distribution center in Middletown, OH. Good to know for future needs because we always went to the actual store for instant gratification to avoid waiting 4-5 days.

Hmmmmm...Middletown is the next town north of me. Didn't know they had a disti center there.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

driver100 said:

Oh man! Some people can fix a car, some are brain surgeons....is one better than the other?

What about those who think that changing an automotive fuse is akin to brain surgery?

A doctor was watching a mechanic put a new head gasket on his engine. He completed the job, hopped into the car and started it up. He said, see doc, I do the same procedures on cars that you do on people. The doc said, yes, but let's see you do it while the motor is running.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

pensfan83 said:

Hmmmmm...Middletown is the next town north of me. Didn't know they had a disti center there.
    Salzmann Rd., north of rt 63. I've have guessed it's Monroe. I'll guess it's Middletown post office and inside city limits of a Monroe that has expanded greatly in area based on the maps.

https://google.com/maps/place/Monroe,+OH/@39.4583921,-84.406042,13.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88405c1aa9731fe9:0xda2c99fae613ba40!8m2!3d39.440336!4d-84.3621634

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    ab348 said:

ATS is back, XT6 returned. They treat them as in-house rentals so you have to put gas into them before returning. Every other loaner I've had from there has taken $5 to $10 of gas. This one took $1.50. Some of that is due to the lower gas prices but only a bit. The rest never had gas put in them by the previous user I'm sure.

After I got home I built an XT6 on Cadillac Canada's site to see exactly what I was driving was worth.Near as I could figure it was $72K-$75K Cdn. You have to be kidding me. Not a chance.

Were they able to determine what the problem was? Pesky electronics?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited April 2020
    ab348 said:

Amazon really does amaze me sometimes. .

The cursor wasn't moving on MrsD100's desktop.
    New batteries didn't help.
    Ordered a new mouse from Amazon - $28...came next day. Didn't help.
    Ordered a new keypad that comes with a mouse $48
    Arrived the next day....works perfectly....rechargeable too.
    Put $28 mouse in a box, print a label and return it by putting in a mail box....credit issued a few hours later.

Imagine if you had to do all that by going to the store...which you couldn't even do right now. What a great system!

sda said:

ab348 said:

Were they able to determine what the problem was? Pesky electronics?
    They found a service bulletin for the code, termed it a “software anomaly”. Cure was to refresh the software with the latest version for the Engine Control Module.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    Feels like I’m going backwards a bit. I discovered yesterday I needed a transfer pump. Normally, I’d be able to get it from amazon next day. Nope. Earliest would be Friday. So I hit up home depot’s website, made the purchase at a local store, and they put it in a locker in the entryway. I went this morn, held my phone up to the screen, and the locker popped open, I grabbed the package and was back in my car inside 3 mins.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    qbrozen said:

Feels like I’m going backwards a bit. I discovered yesterday I needed a transfer pump. Normally, I’d be able to get it from amazon next day. Nope. Earliest would be Friday. So I hit up home depot’s website, made the purchase at a local store, and they put it in a locker in the entryway. I went this morn, held my phone up to the screen, and the locker popped open, I grabbed the package and was back in my car inside 3 mins.

I do that too. Even with items they have in stock at the store.

Yesterday was a different matter. I went in, got my item, and couldn't get out. They made you go the whole way through the store to get out - near the registers. That's one reason I ordered that way; to avoid all the people. I mean I get it, but they had someone outside counting how many were let in and someone counting people when they leave. Surely they are communicating.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

Huh?

Another Huh? Today I started getting a “service tire inflator system” message on the Ford. What does that mean, I have to change the can of fix-a-flat?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:

Amazon really does amaze me sometimes. On Sunday I decided to buy Lucy the cat a little harness vest thing to see if she could get used to it by the time we have deck weather. I think she might like being out there with me tied off on a lead that lets her wander around the deck. It came this morning. Guy in a Corolla with the back seat stuffed full of envelopes dropped it in my mailbox. New economy indeed.

Our cat scratches up the furniture until I let him out and he comes back whenever he feels like it. We suspect he has a few other families on his list because once he’s gone...he’s gone.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe

Huh?

Another Huh? Today I started getting a “service tire inflator system” message on the Ford. What does that mean, I have to change the can of fix-a-flat?
    probably. maybe they know if loses charge over time, and this is telling you to replace it with a fresh can?

hey, fire extinguishers lose pressure over time and have to be recharged.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.