Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited April 2020
    driver100 said:

We go for a drive about 3 times a week, just to get out but still be able to self isolate. A friend said you shouldn't be doing that. btw, the fine for being too close to someone, strolling in a park or on a golf course, being on a public trail, playing basketball, etc is $830. I checked and technically there is no rule against driving around, but, they are hoping you only drive to pick up groceries, or to a drug store...just essentials. For one thing, if you are in an accident, there will be emergency workers exposed, hospital facilities being used, cops coming to do paperwork etc. Can't even take the car out to charge the battery and blow some carbon out of it!

Do you live in Canada or Kazakhstan?

We made a couple of food runs yesterday and a grocery run and a food run today.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Just got a text from my son in CA. He just bought a house in Indian Springs on the west side of Indio CA. 3 bedrooms with club amenities. One of his clients holds the mortgage at 0% interest. $350,000. I am so proud of him - remember 5 years ago he had a malignant brain tumor - proton radiation finally was successful in getting it. My heart is filled with joy for him.

That’s a sweet deal. How does the client make out at 0%?
    Just doing a big favor for my son. He is well liked and respected in his profession in the low desert.
    Low desert...so he's got friends in "Low Places" !
    Low Desert is at or near sea level. High Desert is 2000+ feet above sea level, for those of you unfamiliar with those terms.

Palm Springs is Low Desert. Las Vegas is High Desert.

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    kyfdx said:

benjaminh said:

jipster said:

Michaell said:

@jipster - understand, that if you decide to cancel, it will be credited against your loan balance, and not returned as a check to you.

Just means your last few payments will likely not need to be made.

Thx. Yeah, read that after I had posted. That would be fine, though not very sporting of Honda
    World.
    I think that's just a company-wide policy. My guess is that's not specific to Honda World.
    If they refunded the cost directly to you, your LTV ratio would change on the loan, possibly putting you into a different credit tier. It's a finance thing.
    If they refund the money directly to you the loan amount and the value do not change therefore the LTV stays the same. If it is credited to the loan the loan value goes down therefore the LTV decreases. Most companies process refunds using the same method as the original payment as it reduces the chance of fraud.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

We go for a drive about 3 times a week, just to get out but still be able to self isolate. A friend said you shouldn't be doing that. btw, the fine for being too close to someone, strolling in a park or on a golf course, being on a public trail, playing basketball, etc is $830. I checked and technically there is no rule against driving around, but, they are hoping you only drive to pick up groceries, or to a drug store...just essentials. For one thing, if you are in an accident, there will be emergency workers exposed, hospital facilities being used, cops coming to do paperwork etc. Can't even take the car out to charge the battery and blow some carbon out of it!

You're right about that accident thing because no one ever has an emergency at home.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    abacomike said:

houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Just got a text from my son in CA. He just bought a house in Indian Springs on the west side of Indio CA. 3 bedrooms with club amenities. One of his clients holds the mortgage at 0% interest. $350,000. I am so proud of him - remember 5 years ago he had a malignant brain tumor - proton radiation finally was successful in getting it. My heart is filled with joy for him.

Just doing a big favor for my son. He is well liked and respected in his profession in the low desert.
    Low Desert is at or near sea level. High Desert is 2000+ feet above sea level, for those of you unfamiliar with those terms.

Mike, there is a song by Garth Brooks called, "Friends in Low Places". That is what I was referring to.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I saw a Canadian news story where they fined an old guy $880 for taking his dog out to the parking lot alone behind his apartment house so she could do her business. The story implied that some nosey neighbor was ratting everybody out.
    I saw that too....and a lady in our city took her dog to an empty golf course across the street from her house. She got the same fine. Those should be at most warnings....with an explanation for the guy with a dog in the apartment...you can't keep a dog isolated!
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I saw a Canadian news story where they fined an old guy $880 for taking his dog out to the parking lot alone behind his apartment house so she could do her business. The story implied that some nosey neighbor was ratting everybody out.
    I saw that too....and a lady in our city took her dog to an empty golf course across the street from her house. She got the same fine. Those should be at most warnings....with an explanation for the guy with a dog in the apartment...you can't keep a dog isolated!
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

A fine like that is beyond stupid !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited April 2020
    driver100 said:

A good chance we will be wearing masks for awhile when things start to return to normal. How do you wear a mask and go to a restaurant? Maybe a small slit in the mask.......only tiny morsels of food served. :D

The story programs on TV were showing people getting haircuts wearing masks in some pics and not on the barber or on the victim in others.

Sweden likely did it best to gain herd immunity. Because of Fauci's influence and slowing down all the people having the virus without symptoms or minor symptoms, we may be long into fall as the immunity numbers build up to 60% or more for slowing this version of the flu/cold from China this time.

I notice the people on TV telling everyone else no barbershop visits seem to have nicely trimmed hair like they _have_ had a barber visit.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited April 2020
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Alright Houdini, you made your point!😜🤪😝😇

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

this was her first time since 3/20. I mostly go out for the weekly chores, and if she goes it was with me and I always drive when we are together.

We really need a nice road trip at this point. Get the car a run, and get the heck out of this house! we are going up to Albany in mid-June to help our son with his new house before he has to move in. Hopefully the restrictions are lifted by then, but I don't really care since we are going anyway. But I really want to tag a run up to Vermont onto the trip if possible. That is 2 months from now so crossing my fingers we are allowed to leave the house by then. Just have to remember to pack coolers with all the food and drink we can possibly need. Might not be able to stop along the way. Bathroom breaks could be a bit dicey these days too! Really need to plan ahead now.

They’re talking about opening upstate by May 15th. Most stores and gas stations are open for bathroom use even if you can’t sit down to eat.

Just keep your hands off our toilet paper.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    abacomike said:

houdini1 said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

I grew up in the High Desert so I knew what you meant. I know the Garth Brooks song too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    “Sweden likely did it best.” Well, we won’t know if that’s true for awhile, will we? Meanwhile, I’m not gambling my life on that idea.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited April 2020

@oldfarmer50,
    A lot of comments thought it could be a rental.

I went back and checked. It sure looks like the little white rectangle bar code in the windshield. That would explain a lot.

No wonder Hertz is going bankrupt.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited April 2020
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Stupid is down here too. In Idaho they arrested a woman for taking her kids to the park and in Washington they narrowly avoided releasing the Green River Killer by a 5-4 decision.

So they arrest a woman for playing with kids but almost release a killer of 71.

I believe that was a petition to release a large number of prisoners, not just Ridgeway, and it was never going to happen, so — non-story.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    tjc78 said:

We’ve tipped everyone a bit more these days. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

We do too. Last evening though we ordered curbside pickup at a local restaurant. I told the person I talked to on the phone to add a $10 tip (to a $28 order). She said she would. When I got home there was no tip on the receipt.

I felt bad. I even mentioned it to the girl that brought the order out that there was a tip.

I was going to go back and give them cash, but I didn't remember which girl it was and that's the main reason I paid with a credit card over the phone; so I wouldn't have to interact with a person. :disappointed:

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

We are tipping extra too. Mistakes do happen. Maybe you’ll get the same delivery person again. And can double tip with some cash.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Food banks here are asking for donations again, if people are into supporting their local units.

So many are needing the extra for various reasons.

People waited for 3 hours at Wright State's Arena on Saturday for food. Most did not get in to the work area in time. They've had various other locations giving food around the area, and I haven't seen news reports about how those sessions went. But most local news have the several different groups providing food help asking for help themselves.

They also need blood. I'm AB pos.

driver100 said:

A good chance we will be wearing masks for awhile when things start to return to normal. How do you wear a mask and go to a restaurant? Maybe a small slit in the mask.......only tiny morsels of food served. :D

The story programs on TV were showing people getting haircuts wearing masks in some pics and not on the barber or on the victim in others.

Sweden likely did it best to gain herd immunity. Because of Fauci's influence and slowing down all the people having the virus without symptoms or minor symptoms, we may be long into fall as the immunity numbers build up to 60% or more for slowing this version of the flu/cold from China this time.

I notice the people on TV telling everyone else no barbershop visits seem to have nicely trimmed hair like they _have_ had a barber visit.

It’s getting pretty bad. Look what a month without a haircut did to me:

My hair is getting so long, thick and curly that I am seriously thinking about flying in to Georgia just to get a haircut.

In fact, my hair is now the fifth longest thing on my body - 2 legs, 2 arms, and then my hair. And for those of you who think I forgot any other protuberances on my body - I did not! 🤪🤓😜😛

I really do need a haircut - its been 11 weeks since my last haircut.

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited April 2020
    Examining their numbers so far compared to their neighbors certainly doesn't make me think they've won something. Not to mention, hindsight is always 20/20. Plenty will say the cost wasn't worth it, as they didn't lose anyone in their family tree.

Sweden has also had a significant shutdown, just without a hard mandate as their culture is both naturally "socially distant" and is also not the type where semi-literate likely parentally-dependent yokels crowd around state capitol buildings with guns and signs when they feel their freedoms are being stolen (aka they heard something on a partisan news source). They also have a competent single payer system to handle things.
    suydam said:

“Sweden likely did it best.” Well, we won’t know if that’s true for awhile, will we? Meanwhile, I’m not gambling my life on that idea.

edited April 2020
    Did you get that from FOX or something?

The WA Supreme court declined to listen to a lawsuit advocating the release of inmates with certain age ranges or health conditions of which Ridgway would have been technically included. There was no data showing Ridgway specifically would have actually been released, just because he met the age group putting him at risk for the pandemic (could call it rude names but I will refrain).

Idaho woman went to a park that was closed, challenged a LEO, and was taken in. She was released and offered a public apology. Having kids doesn't make one immume to lawful orders. In fact, it seems to make some stupid people even more stupid. The Ammon Bundy y'all Qaeda trash set ended up supporting her and doxxing the officer, if that means anything.

Stupid is down here too. In Idaho they arrested a woman for taking her kids to the park and in Washington they narrowly avoided releasing the Green River Killer by a 5-4 decision.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The car buying story I promised- from another site:

Sooner or later it happens to every car enthusiast: you go out looking for a specific car and come back with something from out of left field. This is how it happened to me nearly 28 years ago:

My wife and I had driven down to Memphis one July weekend to visit with another couple who were also BMW CCA members. Saturday morning the wives went off to do whatever spousal units do, while my friend and I made a beeline to the local BMW dealer to check out what was going on. You see, I was looking for a nice, clean, 1988 or 89 E30 M3. My trusty 535is needed some serious mods to become the hot driving school ticket. Besides, I was ready for something new and different. How new and how different I was about to find out.

I found it sitting – no, crouching, in the used BMW section. There, under the scorching Memphis sun was a black 1988 M6. It had just been traded by an (even by my standards) anal retentive owner. My friend and I walked around it, poked, prodded, and checked the price. And then it was time to meet the girls for lunch. Driving to our rendezvous, my pal uttered the fateful words that have led to so many unexpected purchases: “You know, it wouldn’t hurt just to test drive it”.

At lunch I mentioned the car to my wife and inaudibly mumbled the price. “Go ahead and drive it.” she said. So after lunch it was back to the dealer. Our salesperson (who will remain nameless for reasons you will soon understand) jumped behind the wheel, fired it up, and explained that he would drive it until it was properly warmed up- and that he knew a place where the car could be driven properly.

To this day, I don’t know where we ended up. All I know is that it was a narrow, country lane that wound through an area where Deliverance II could have been filmed. Meanwhile, trusty salesperson (TS) was blasting the M6 down this road like ten bats out of hell. Four wheel opposite lock drifts around blind corners, every shift at the redline. I hung on, meditating on the “Where Will YOU Spend Eternity?” sign we had recently passed at 97 mph. Finally, it was my turn to drive. Now, I have scared my share of salespeople in my day, but I knew I was beaten. TS even encouraged me to pick up the pace. Anyway, when we rolled back onto the lot my friend mentioned that he smelled the brakes. From about two blocks away. Nah, said TS, it’s just the paint on the new resonator. Right.

The next week was spent dreaming and crunching numbers/agonizing over the purchase. Since I was pondering eternal truths during much of the test drive, I called my friend and asked him to take it out. The next day he called back audibly shaken. “Jeez, did TS take you out into the boonies? He scared the Hell outta me. He’s nuts!!!” I was glad my pal had been terrified too- I thought I was just getting old…

In any event, with my long suffering wife’s consent, I decided to make an offer on the car. A deal was finally struck and the object of my affection was picked up in Nashville the next weekend at a CCA Regional Congress.

I owned it for four years, and my only regret is that I sold it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

abacomike said:

My hair is getting so long, thick and curly that I am seriously thinking about flying in to Georgia just to get a haircut.

In fact, my hair is now the fifth longest thing on my body - 2 legs, 2 arms, and then my hair. And for those of you who think I forgot any other protuberances on my body - I did not! 🤪🤓😜😛

I really do need a haircut - its been 11 weeks since my last haircut.

When longer hair was the trend, 80s? 90s?, I used thinning shears to trim my hair by just cutting an inch or
    so off part of the bulk. I could work the back by feel--no mirrors. The sides I could watch and adjust after a day or two if more was needed.

Once every couple of months I'd see a barber--they all wanted to be called "stylists" in the area where I was. Many went out of business.

You should get the Nextoor app. It is full of busybody Karen types who are into that kind of thing.

It appears the Canadian incidents have been brought up by bylaw officers in Ontario, who I understand can be especially terrible and no doubt have less accountability than actual LEOs.
    driver100 said:

lkcxkzxdxe6d.jpg" alt="" />

It’s getting pretty bad. Look what a month without a haircut did to me:

That facial hair took more than a month... We have many "old order" citizens here, and if I understand right, when they marry they start growing a beard. There are some that are spectacular. Makes me itch however. I
    tried long ago letting a mustache grow. Didn't work well. Had some red in it and I have lots of environmental allergies. Mustache and drippy nose don't work well through the allergy season.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Tried to trim ,y hair today and really hacked it up.
    Realized my trimmer was clogged, so will try and fix it tomorrow.
    My wife didn't say a word, maybe she is just being polite.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    I told my wife what to do for a haircut. I was wrong. I now have a buzz cut. Thankfully my hair grows quickly.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    abacomike said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

Alright Houdini, you made your point!😜🤪😝😇
    He can't help it....he stutters :p

btw....do kids stutter any more....when I was a kid there were some who did...don't here of it now.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

fintail said:

You should get the Nextoor app. It is full of busybody Karen types who are into that kind of thing.

It appears the Canadian incidents have been brought up by bylaw officers in Ontario, who I understand can be especially terrible and no doubt have less accountability than actual LEOs.

driver100 said:

Yes, some cities are just giving warnings, others give fines. Giving a fine is a bit much, especially $800 ones. I think people would obey...even if there was a $50 fine. In our town they gave an $800 fine to a homeless guy because they we all huddled together....we all know he will never pay it.

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

send the city a bill for the carpet that got ruined when the dog peed'd on it.

I would fight that ticket big time, just on principle.

It's Canada.. they would just put you in jail, depreciate your currency and give you an appendectomy.
    Sure, make fun of us. One thing, we generally comply a lot more...and the isolation and social distancing are making a difference. Countries that were doing well, and then opened up too early, are now experiencing a second wave. We would be doing extremely well if it wasn't for nursing homes...it goes through those like wild fire.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    my hair is starting to really bug me. I ordered a trimmer kit, and that showed up today. But needed scissors too, and they are not arriving until Tuesday. So once they are here, my daughter is going to give it a shot. The scissors part should be pretty simple. Not sure how the thinning out part on the sides will work. I didn't exactly get the professional quality model! But, if she can get the real shaggy parts tamed and the cowlick trimmed down, and the edges neater (I hate when it curls over my ears) I can get by for a while longer!

For tips, I actually have not had anything delivered (not counting the steady stream of Amazon, etc.!) since the lock-down started. The times we have gotten take out, I went and picked it up. And any store purchases required going and and doing the shopping.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

It's Canada.. they would just put you in jail, depreciate your currency and give you an appendectomy.
    Sure, make fun of us. One thing, we generally comply a lot more...and the isolation and social distancing are making a difference. Countries that were doing well, and then opened up too early, are now experiencing a second wave. We would be doing extremely well if it wasn't for nursing homes...it goes through those like wild fire.
    driver, seems likely that regardless of when a country "reopens" there is going to be a 2nd wave. especially when other parts of the world are more active. Maybe with luck it will be milder. But once the uptick starts, it is going to spread.

I suspect the "officers" are doing it either via a power trip or to make it look like they are working - not like they could really ever be shown the door to begin with, no doubt.

Might also serve as a make-work project for people handling the paperwork,
    driver100 said:

Yes, some cities are just giving warnings, others give fines. Giving a fine is a bit much, especially $800 ones. I think people would obey...even if there was a $50 fine. In our town they gave an $800 fine to a homeless guy because they we all huddled together....we all know he will never pay it.

I used clippers a couple weeks ago, might do it again within the next week or so if there's no word on hair salons reopening - gonna try to even it out myself. I notice the rear seems a little longer than the front, not intentionally. #8 blade guard.

I got a flyer in the mail yesterday from a new apartment building claiming a $100 Amazon gift card for doing a "self-guided tour". I'll probably do that next week and then have something delivered, likely car detailing supplies and maybe a treat. I've been getting my own supplies through this mess, without issue - even TP shortages were relatively short-lived here, although I hear were much worse in outlying areas.

stickguy said:

my hair is starting to really bug me. I ordered a trimmer kit, and that showed up today. But needed scissors too, and they are not arriving until Tuesday. So once they are here, my daughter is going to give it a shot. The scissors part should be pretty simple. Not sure how the thinning out part on the sides will work. I didn't exactly get the professional quality model! But, if she can get the real shaggy parts tamed and the cowlick trimmed down, and the edges neater (I hate when it curls over my ears) I can get by for a while longer!

For tips, I actually have not had anything delivered (not counting the steady stream of Amazon, etc.!) since the lock-down started. The times we have gotten take out, I went and picked it up. And any store purchases required going and and doing the shopping.

this weekend I even found a bottle of (likely overpriced) hand sanitizer at supermarket, so I bought one to have extra. Still can't find wipes (though I have not looked too hard at the oddball places). and Yeast is still nowhere to be found. Other than that, generally whatever we have needed has been available.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Stick, regarding the clippers, most come with a few different attachments that determine the length of cut. If you have someone else doing it for you it really isn't too hard as long as they start with the longest one and gradually shorten up the attachments as necessary. They just need to take it slow and pause to look quite often.

I've had a set of those for years but until now have only used them for mustache/beard trims. The other week I decided to do a full self-cut as I felt it was getting shaggy. It actually wasn't hard as I normally do a buzz cut anyway in the summer so this was that just moved up a couple of months. The one thing that is tough to do yourself is the close trimming at the back of the neck and getting a straight line there, but since you have help there, that shouldn't be too bad.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited April 2020
    stickguy said:

driver, seems likely that regardless of when a country "reopens" there is going to be a 2nd wave. especially when other parts of the world are more active. Maybe with luck it will be milder. But once the uptick starts, it is going to spread.

Nobody knows, and cross-jurisdictional comparisons are worthless. The two adjacent provinces here have been reporting zero new cases now for a couple of weeks. They are preparing to loosen some of the restrictions now. With the borders still largely closed and 14-day quarantines for new arrivals still in effect, the only sources of cases from outside would be delivery truck personnel. So the level of risk there seems quite low.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-brunswick-covid-19-1.5545241

Our situation is different to a degree. We still are reporting new cases although outside of nursing homes, which our govt seems to have bungled quite badly, the numbers are low and going down. We are different than the adjacent provinces as we have one city that is quite large as compared to theirs so more people are in close proximity, and much busier international travel hubs (though now shut down). However the other aspects are similar and that is what is reducing the number of new cases quite dramatically. It seems mostly related to travel. Our hospitals and ICUs are actually experiencing fewer inpatients than prior to all this. The overwhelming of the health care system has simply not happened here like it did elsewhere. If you have no new cases it is hard to say how a second wave could happen unless all the restrictions on travel disappear. I suspect people will remain very cautious for months afterward.

I can see how in densely populated places like Boston, NYC, etc that it could be a very different story.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I’ve been buzzing my hair for so many years, so at least not going to the barber feels normal. I do take my son now, but my wife had to do his hair the other day.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

fintail said:

I suspect the "officers" are doing it either via a power trip or to make it look like they are working - not like they could really ever be shown the door to begin with, no doubt.

Might also serve as a make-work project for people handling the paperwork,

driver100 said:

Another one got an $800 fine for doing chin ups at a playground.
    I think you are right fintail, over zealous police who want an easy ticket...probably think they will get promoted if they get more law breakers. They should have been trained better...just give warnings.

stickguy said:

driver100 said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Stick, it seems that is the way it goes. The thing is we should be better prepared for the second wave, nursing homes better prepared (where we live the caretakers can only work at one now...not 2 or 3 like they did this time), people over 50 should still isolate or semi-isolate, probably no crowded restaurants, movie theaters or other theaters, no sports in a stadium etc. We do have to get back to normal and people will die, but, we have to try and limit deaths. That is our future......

Ab, could be taking advantage of early restrictions before the virus hit. IOW, the plan worked! And many places have the same issue with empty hospitals. Really need to open up for elective, etc stuff where possible.

At some point it may end up being places like nursing homes isolated. They have disproportionately been where deaths are happening. Which makes sense. If you put lots of old people with underlying (and often serious) conditions packed in close, one bug can take out a lot of people.

stickguy said:

this weekend I even found a bottle of (likely overpriced) hand sanitizer at supermarket, so I bought one to have extra. Still can't find wipes (though I have not looked too hard at the oddball places). and Yeast is still nowhere to be found. Other than that, generally whatever we have needed has been available.

Has anyone been able to buy Lysol...that stuff is rarer than gold?

fintail said:

Did you get that from FOX or something?

The WA Supreme court declined to listen to a lawsuit advocating the release of inmates with certain age ranges or health conditions of which Ridgway would have been technically included. There was no data showing Ridgway specifically would have actually been released, just because he met the age group putting him at risk for the pandemic (could call it rude names but I will refrain).

Idaho woman went to a park that was closed, challenged a LEO, and was taken in. She was released and offered a public apology. Having kids doesn't make one immume to lawful orders. In fact, it seems to make some stupid people even more stupid. The Ammon Bundy y'all Qaeda trash set ended up supporting her and doxxing the officer, if that means anything.

Why the "flag" on this post? Maybe I am missing something or don't understand it. Fintail is not usually an abuser of the "politically correct" approach to posting.

2021 Genesis G90

edited April 2020
    The idea of a second surge is because the normal, first spread of a virus/flu to which no one has a known immunity has been interrupted by the highly touted "lower the curve." The lower curve at first was needed to reduce deaths. But then after weeks it turns out the total serious cases/deaths will be spread out over a longer period of time; the 'lower the curve" was to reduce the total number of patients hitting the hospitals at one time.

Here one of the hospitals currently has no Virus patient in it. Everything was shut down in advance, surgeries, elective surgeries, and not one patient. That comes from a doctor. There are two large hospital groups. The other one apparently does have some cases.

The "figures never lie but liars always figure" that I cited at the beginning of this has come true. The media loves talking about the total cases. But many of those have recovered. But somehow they're enamored of the large number. To boost the total death count CDC counts any possible case as caused by The Virus; even a cancer death was counted locally--also from a doctor. I keep hearing there's a payment from the government for handling a death from The Virus: I've heard $39000 cited, but haven't verified. So hospitals are eager to get the extra payment. They're sure not getting it from the elective surgeries canceled filling beds and putting other hospital workers onto the paycheck rolls.

Until a high percentage of the population, 60% or higher has been cited, have had the virus and gained temporary or long term immunity, the virus will spread like any cold virus. But everyone will catch it.

Now the "figures" of how many have immunity but didn't realize they had The Virus rather than a cold or even mild flu are coming out as random studies of the immunity antibodies in nonactive patients are being tested in a few parts of the country. But the natural spread has been slowed. As people have more contacts, more cases will occur, 80% or so mild, a few needing hospitalization, and few ending in deaths sadly, as do colds and flues in other times.

The media likes the idea of warning about a second wave, but that's the natural pattern for the spread. Interrupt the spread and it will increase and subside with more contacts, along with the change in temps and humidity. I recall early on I mentioned somewhere that warmer weather would slow the virus and was criticized for that now fact.

Nobody knows much about this with certainty. I cannot speak to anywhere else but up here there were scary "expert" models early on, even with the measures that have been taken, that far exceeded the actual numbers. Nobody is talking about those now or where/who they came from. Points to the "just don't know" theory, so any projections relating to this need to be looked at in that light. The media always reports the scariest stories the loudest of course.

One thing that does seem to be proving out is the theory that it usually takes multiple exposures to get really sick.

fintail said:

Yes, bylaw officers are a special breed of hell, since there are far fewer checks and balances on their activity and often no easy way to fight their decisions.

Here is a longish but good read on the situation here with fines and ticketing:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6859320/coronavirus-police-enforcement/

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Didn't take long for me to need to take the Accord in for service. The front seat dome light won't come on when I open the door. Yes... I set to "door". Maybe it's a sign? A 3 hour wait so I took the shuttle home. You guys tip a shuttle driver? I usually do. By chance the driver lives in the next subdivision over. Takes a short cut thru my subdivision on his way to work. Don't know why he took the longer.route to my house. He went strickly by his gps.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Certainly there was a lot of on the fly reacting. Some places maybe went further than needed, but there was no way to know until after the fact. But, I can’t imagine how bad a place like NYC would have been without any restrictions. So if possibly overly restrictive actions kept your area relatively Unscathed, Consider yourselves lucky.

Nursing homes and meat packing plants, even if in otherwise relatively cold zones, give a pretty good indication of how quick this can spread if you do nothing. Is that OK for most people? Just let it rip and hope for the best? Might work as long as most people are fine with home based DIY health care!

jipster said:

Didn't take long for me to need to take the Accord in for service. The front seat dome light won't come on when I open the door. Yes... I set to "door". Maybe it's a sign? A 3 hour wait so I took the shuttle home. You guys tip a shuttle driver? I usually do. By chance the driver lives in the next subdivision over. Takes a short cut thru my subdivision on his way to work. Don't know why he took the longer.route to my house. He went strickly by his gps.

Doubt if it is an omen. Just one of those things. But, you would think they could fix it faster than 3 hours. At least they will fix it.
    I have never tipped the shuttle driver. I talk to them...I figure my sparkling conversation is worth something (just joking...I am not a real narcissist). Actually, they seem happy to do their job, most are retired guys. I just figure they are doing their job, not the same as delivering groceries during a pandemic, not the same as a minimum wage delivering pizza or food job....I mean the line for tipping has to end somewhere.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Need a haircut myself here. Called Pete's again in Margate Friday and they're still closed down. Been about 10 weeks now so, am in need! Hoping by this coming weekend, they'll start tamping up again. Guess I can continue to wear my baseball cap awhile longer!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)