Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DMV fees on new lease

good_boy_1234good_boy_1234 Member Posts: 81
edited May 2020 in Honda
So I got my new 2020 Honda CRV almost a month ago and traded in my 2017 honda CRV as part of the deal. I just received a mail from DMV for plates renewal with 2017 car info, which they said it's not a problem because the renewal is based on car info 3 months ago and shoudn't be a problem because I transferred plates on my new car...Then I thought more about it why I need to pay renewal fees if I already paid for DMV costs at the dealership?! So I contacted DMV again and they said they don't have any information from my dealer about the new car or fees paid. I am frustrated and surprised because I pain for title/registration (see in category 5, items 6 and 7) so why I need to pay renewal? My dealer is not responding...

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090

So I got my new 2020 Honda CRV almost a month ago and traded in my 2017 honda CRV as part of the deal. I just received a mail from DMV for plates renewal with 2017 car info, which they said it's not a problem because the renewal is based on car info 3 months ago and shoudn't be a problem because I transferred plates on my new car...Then I thought more about it why I need to pay renewal fees if I already paid for DMV costs at the dealership?! So I contacted DMV again and they said they don't have any information from my dealer about the new car or fees paid. I am frustrated and surprised because I pain for title/registration (see in category 5, items 6 and 7) so why I need to pay renewal? My dealer is not responding...

Remind us what state this is, again?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• good_boy_1234good_boy_1234 Member Posts: 81
    Wisconsin
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Wisconsin

We don't know your fees.

But, your dealer charged $30 for registration and $164.50 for electronic title.
    How much does the DMV want for renewal?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Wisconsin

We don't know your fees.

Per Wisconsin DMV website the title fee is 164.5 so that's correct (per report for new fees since Oct 2019: "But after Oct. 1, the fee jumps to $164.50 for a title and $85 for registration.")

The plates renewal mail notice from DMV is asking for $115 for plates renewal (on the 2017 car that I already traded it in for the new 2020 one)

There are too many numbers here so I am confused as I don't know if owe money or DMV/dealer owes me money but common sense says that I should not pay renewal fee on a car I no longer have or pay DMV fees on the new car when I already had DMV costs included in the contract.

kyfdx said:

Wisconsin

We don't know your fees.

Per Wisconsin DMV website the title fee is 164.5 so that's correct (per report for new fees since Oct 2019: "But after Oct. 1, the fee jumps to $164.50 for a title and $85 for registration.")

The plates renewal mail notice from DMV is asking for $115 for plates renewal (on the 2017 car that I already traded it in for the new 2020 one)

There are too many numbers here so I am confused as I don't know if owe money or DMV/dealer owes me money but common sense says that I should not pay renewal fee on a car I no longer have or pay DMV fees on the new car when I already had DMV costs included in the contract.
    Does the plate you transferred expire soon? If so, then you got three months of use of it for free, and now you are due to renew for next year. I don't see anything on the dealer's list where you paid for plates. (at least that's how I interpret it)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

Wisconsin

We don't know your fees.

Does the plate you transferred expire soon? If so, then you got three months of use of it for free, and now you are due to renew for next year. I don't see anything on the dealer's list where you paid for plates. (at least that's how I interpret it)
    Thanks. Yeah the end of June...What I don't understand why I was charged for initial registration $30 and title $164.5 if I already have plates and just need renewal? Do you have to pay for title/registration every time you buy a car even if you had cars before (not first car)? That wouldn't make sense at all.Because I remember plates were part of the DMV fees when I got my first car of 2017 so why I need to pay for renewal...There is a missing piece here.

kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

Wisconsin

We don't know your fees.

Thanks. Yeah the end of June...What I don't understand why I was charged for initial registration $30 and title $164.5 if I already have plates and just need renewal? Do you have to pay for title/registration every time you buy a car even if you had cars before (not first car)? That wouldn't make sense at all.Because I remember plates were part of the DMV fees when I got my first car of 2017 so why I need to pay for renewal...There is a missing piece here.
    Again, not familiar with Wisconsin, but generally, each new car needs a new title, irrespective of plates.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator