Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The X3 is bigger, but I don't think he needs a big rear seat at this point in his life (single male, recent grad).

It's the XV that is the over-achiever in terms of size. Rear seat easily bests the CX5 for instance.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm hoping he will stay clear of the premium brands. I don't think it would be a wise decision at this stage of his career. Being an optometrist he's making good money, but he has school loans to pay off.

Bob
  • Options
    If the X1 has auto start-stop that alone may be the deal killer.

You can turn it off, but you have to do that each time. It's operation is anything but smooth and seamless.
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I send you all best wishes for a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving with your families.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    yep .... I second that emotion ....
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    You can turn it off, but you have to do that each time

Actually, they now have programming that can turn off this feature..

At least, that's what my service advisor told me, when I was in for an oil change...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It should be recalled for the shakes!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Serge. We did. Headed over to the Eastern Shore of Maryland as my daughter Mairen and her husband Jess hosted a dinner for 15, as my wife's family from New Hampshire came down, and Jess' parents (they live nearby) and his brother and wife came from the Baltimore area. This was the first time she's ever hosted anything this large, let alone a Thanksgiving. It went well and everyone had a great time.

Friday most of us headed over to drive-on 4x4 area of Assateague Island and had a bonfire on the beach, played a little beach football, and had some hot apple cider. Jess and one of the cousins went surfing—yes the water was cold!, probably in the 40s, but they had wetsuits. Not only was the water cold, but it was pretty rough. Jess got some good rides, but our NH cousin Ross became exhausted fighting the rough surf, and came out after about 20 minutes. He was just wiped out. Jess was out there almost 2 hours surfing! There were other surfers there as well. These guys are hardcore!!!

The air temp was in the high 40s-low 50s, and very breezy, but we were dressed for it, so it was fun. Saw some damage from Hurricane Sandy (minimal), and saw some Assateague ponies. :) Yesterday I did a 4-mile walk. It was a tough walk, as it was colder (upper 30s) and much more windy than the day at the beach. Got home last night. Winding down today...

Bob
  • Options
    sounds like fun ....

My exertion today ... finally replaced the OLD artificial Christmas tree with a pre-lit slim one that actually 'fits' our house these days ... the old one took at least a few hours to set up and string lights (and usually making a trip to buy NEW lights) ...

opened this baby up and had it set up and ready to go in about 15 minutes (and that included going to find something to open the box with!)

Yeah ... I've 'exercised' today ....
  • Options
    My little sis hosted for the first time as well, similar sized party. She was beat! Napped during the Redskins game!

Surfing in the 40s? Brrr!
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Bob, Sounds like an incredible weekend.
    We relaxed, ate, saw James Bond, saw some music...a nice weekend.
    I came up with a suggestion for a new school holiday. It would start Thanksgiving, end after New Years Day, and be called Happy Time!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    So, next year maybe you could set up some sort of "honorary family member for a holiday" lottery? I'd buy a few tickets, for sure! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    LOL! We rotate Thanksgiving. I think next year we'll be in New Hampshire. :)

Except for the long drive (~ 9 hours, some of which fighting just horrible traffic), still fun.

Bob
  • Options
    Research also showed that the Subaru owner base is three times more likely to hike and bike, three times more likely to be cause-oriented, volunteer-oriented and 3.5 times more likely to own a pet

Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/187853/subaru-growth-driven-by-lov- e.html#ixzz2DSCSIOXl

Woof! :shades:
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited November 2012
    Did Subaru really waste money doing a study to find those results? Sheesh, I could have told them the same thing by sitting around the town recreation area for a lot less money.

Newsflash - Lambo buyers have more money than they know what to do with and like to party.
  • Options
    Rob and I would like to volunteer to research the spending and partying habits of Lambo owners. Of course to be thorough we'll each need a new Aventador. :shades:
  • Options
    Where's the 'like' button? ... (oh yeah, that OTHER website)
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Only 3x?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Rob and I would like to volunteer to research the spending and partying habits of Lambo owners. Of course to be thorough we'll each need a new Aventador.

Nah - I'm getting too old for that. I'll asked their parent Audi to give me an A7 premium - garnet red over nougat brown. I'll follow the Lambo crowd until 11 PM as they start going out and meet them at 7 AM for breakfast. That's when they'll be getting ready for bed and based on their state at that hour, I'll have all the data I need.
  • Options
    No A7 for me. Q7 TDI as the family car.
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    I'm up for a Q7 as well, or would take a A8. The A7 and 6 series are butt-ugly! :shades:
  • Options
    The Panamera is hideous so they had to copy some of that ugliness.

Sport Turismo an exception.
  • Options
    Late this afternoon I received the phone call that all pet owners dread. If you live in the country, well, you know the one…. YOU need to come home. Quickly. YOUR DOG just rolled in something (fill in your favorite perfume – gopher, woodchuck, deer, wild turkey), and YOU need to bathe her!

Wait a minute. MY dog? Wasn’t I the one who said no more dogs after Madison went to doggie heaven? Weren’t you dear the one who picked the successor? Weren’t those darling children of ours the ones who said they’d feed and take care of her? But when she screws up, she’s MY problem to deal with? Huh??

Well, needless to say, Sadie and I just spent quality time together in the glassed-in shower stall. WE are all nice and clean now! ;-)
  • Options
    Hahahahah; lovely.

When my dog is foolish enough to lather up with "perfume," she gets to spend several days' worth of quality time with her tether and dog house. Then she gets the bath with cold water from the garden hose. No pampering for her! :P

It generally takes her a few months before she forgets the consequences.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    You have a dog with a long term memory? Cool! My girl (yellow lab) is as thick as a brick, and no amount of time in pergatory would teach her anything about actions and consequences.

I posted this on facebook as well, and my sister-in-law in Miami asked why I didn't just do her on the driveway with a hose? This time of year the hoses are drained and put away, as I'd be risking hypothermia (me) doing a thorough job that way.
  • Options
    And that's with an about-to-be-replaced Forester:

http://media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=84310D3C9A7E9610B3E63A3B9B99D8- 50?&id=396&allImage=1&teaser=subaru-america-inc-reports-best-november-sales-comp- any&mid=1

Congrats to SoA on selling their 300,000th car on December 1! :shades:
  • Options
    You and the dog both would probably risk hypothermia! Lucky for me (maybe?), everything is frozen for six months+ of the year, so I don't have to worry about any undesirable fragrances for a good chunk of it.

Amazingly, my dog does seem to "get it." All except for yipping while on her tether.... It usually takes me a few visits with what I call the "whipping leash" for her to zip the trap. But, it only lasts until I take her off the tether. The next go round, I'm back to square One, even if it's only a few hours later that I put her back on the tether (such as when we leave to go into town, etc).

My dog, Kobresia, is a yellow lab/racing husky cross (basically looks like a miniature yellow lab with a unique color/coat). She ended up with all the energy of both, but only half the discipline of either. :sick:
  • Options
    Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gqHMCyiSc

Denver the dog eats cat treats and acts guilty.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    Cute....and that's my new dog's name!
  • Options
    Oh, man. That is the funniest guilty dog expression ever. Kobresia does that to some extent, but ol' "Denver" took it to an extreme! Haha.

Two nights ago, I let Kobresia in the house after I took her out with me when I fed/watered the rabbits and chickens, and she looked terribly guilty. She was all diminutive and skulked off to the living area to lie down. I said, "Kobresia, you obviously did something that you're not proud of, but I don't have a clue what it was, so it looks like you're off the hook this time!"

She looked up at me from her prone position right about then, so I did the whole two-fingers-pointing-at-my-eyes-then-at-hers "I'm watching you" gesture, and she tucked her nose down under her leg. :D
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    You forgot the two worst.
    Skunk
    Bear

Our shepherd growing up was skunked multiple times. After the second, it seemed like he hunted them down with obvious unfortunate outcomes. We know he killed at least one and who knows about the unwitnessed events.

Our Husky/greyhound who is a little "challenged" has a thing for bear scat. Probably only Wes can relate to how bad that is.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bad? That doesn't begin to describe it!

While I've been lucky enough to not have to deal with skunk spray on a dog (although I am familiar with the smell in general via road kill), I'd have to say that the only thing worse is rotting flesh... you know, the really juicy stuff from the abdominal area.

And, maybe I should end things there. :blush:
  • Options
    No experience with bear (although black bears do roam our area), but skunk is a once every year or two occurrence for us. Usually the dogs pick the time when I'm out of town on business to go do that. Not sure which is worse when that happens - dealing with the stinky dog or the pissed-off wife!

I keep the 'skunk kit' out in the garage: Dawn dish detergent / hydrogen peroxide / baking soda / Scope mouthwash.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Aw mannnnn... I just ate lunch...

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    Hahaha... oops! Well, to be fair, I did write that just after dinner. :blush:
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited December 2012
    I guess in a way I am lucky, Mac has never been off leash since he was about a year old. He is a runner and we just couldn't cure him of it. As soon as he got an open door and chance to go well he was gone. We just got fed up chasing him down and accepted the fact he couldn't be trusted to be off.

It's a moot point now since he is blind due to progressive retinal atrophy, He sees shadows in one eye in daylight, but come dusk he is totally blind. Seems like no time since I got him as a pup.
    This will be our last dog, he is now twelve years old and I know the terrible day is not far in the future, and it breaks my heart just to contemplate it. He has been a total sweetheart from day one.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    That particular aspect of pet ownership totally sucks, Pat, and we've all been there. Give him a kiss tonight from me.
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Been there before too Steve, and it sucks so bad especially in this instance I won't go through it again. I'm hoping for two more years at least with him, he is a Mini Schnauzer, and they say between 12 and 14 years. Every day with him now we know is a bonus.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I remember you shared pics when he was a pup, seems like yesterday.

You can never "replace" a pet, but we ended up with a new dog and I've enjoyed it a lot, and for different reasons.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Time for our annual $100K garage-stuffer X-Mas wish list!

Keeping it simple, my choices are:

• AWD BMW 335ix (w/Technology, Cold-weather and Premium packages); ~ $55K
    • Ram crew cab 4x4 pickup (mid-level trim with Rambox option, V6/8-speed automatic, navigation); ~ $45K

Those are my choices for this year. What's yours?

Note there is nary a Subaru on my list!

Bob
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Be sure to wait a couple of months so you can get the 6'4" bed instead of the 5'7" bed. Are you going for the full air suspension too?

Me...
    - 2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 dually, SLT trim, 385/850 Cummins, Aisin tranny - about $58K (not available til spring 2013)
    - 2013 Chrysler 300 Luxury Series, V6/8 speed, AWD - $42K

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Can I go second hand or does it have to be new?

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    Audi Q7 3.0TDI Quattro with premium plus, rear entertainment, rear heated seats, towing package = $61K

Dodge Challenger R/T with hemi, track pack, leather, xenon headlamps = $36k

Yamaha TT-R110E = $2k

I don't think my son is quite tall enough for the Yamaha yet, but he's definitely bigger than a 50cc mini. (49" tall, turns six in February.) My wife Arika would love a Q7 to replace her Suzuki G-V. :shades:

And the Challenger is pure silliness. I don't need it, but if I bought a V8 musclecar today this would be it. Yes, the Mustang is lighter and faster. Yes, the Camaro is slightly faster as well. So what? :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Rules reviewed:

* Must be available by Xmas (Dec 25)
    * Must be new

Let me think....

Wife is happy so 2014 Forester. Oh wait, the rules. 2013. If I could pre-pay for a 2014 we would do that and wait.

People mover? I don't think the big Santa Fe is here, yet, so gimme a Pathfinder to haul the car pool kids around.

City car? Let's see how much $$$ I have left....

Forester 2.5X Touring - $28k (using prices from TrueCar)
    Pathfinder Platinum loaded to the gills - $43k

$29k left for my toy....toss in a BRZ Limited manual.

:shades:

BRZ is a good hybrid city car - burns both gas and rubber. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Anybody watch the Sandy Relief concert last night? A bunch of amazing but aging rockers showed that they still have their stuff (well, at least most of it...).
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Q7 is a very nice ride, as is the smaller Q5.

Funny how popular the Q7 and Cayenne are, yet the similar (and cheaper!) Touareg can't be given away.

Bob
  • Options
    New, Graham!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'm with you on the BRZ: Limited, manual, Dark Grey Metallic. Add a winterization on it (not that I'd abuse it like that, except for ice track days), and I'm at $29K.

Additionally....

MINI Countryman S ALL4, manual, in Bronze, with some goodies, $35K.

VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, manual, in Toffee, with some goodies, $30K.

That only comes to $94K, but what can I say... I'm easy to please.

Sadly, I suspect my wife would claim the MINI as her own. That's okay, though. I do get to steal her car every once in a while.... Snow day!!! :shades:
  • Options
    noticed that someone up there wasn't even mentioning he'd share the BRZ .... hmmmmm (sadly, they forget ....)