Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Skins host a playoff game so a good start already.

Ravens made the playoffs too.

But the important thing is for two sides to get together and sort out an important issue that affects us all. Time to work out a deal and avoid a disaster, come on!

We cannot miss Hockey season! ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    took a cat-nap from 9 PM to 1:30 AM on Friday night. Piled the family into the car and left Spotsylvania, VA at 2:30 AM

Apparently waking up in the middle of the night, having "supper" and then going back to bed for another 4 hours was pretty common a century plus ago. Not having a M-F job, we just drive when it works out. Somehow I managed a 12 hour sleep yesterday. Guess visiting all the relatives got to me. On the road again tomorrow. My '97 Outback rolled over 90,500 miles this week.

(The only issue I'd have with the hogrings these days is worrying about the airbag sensors, or side airbags themselves).

See y'all next year.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    A happy 2013 to and yours juice, our condolences to you and your wife on your losses.

Cheers Pat.
    Rita and myself wish a happy. peaceful, and prosperous new year to all the crew.

Cheers Pat.
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I wish all of you a very happy new year full of peace, joy, and health.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Glad we are all still here and the Mayans were wrong! ;)

Wishing everyone a wonderful 2013!

Juice, sorry, I think the Redskins are not going to advance beyond this Sunday. :P

tom
    My wife's Pilot was getting a little beat up so I bought her a new car for Christmas and her birthday (she's a Christmas Baby). Unfortunately Subaru doesn't have a reasonable 7 passenger SUV, so I ended up getting her an Acura MDX. (The new Pilot really is ugly, the Acura is at least tolerable).

It's a lot more solidly built and quieter than Acuras/Hondas of the past. It handles really well for an SUV and she likes it. It's well made/put together, and has a reasonably luxurious interior. The third row is just big enough for an average sized adult to fit (for a short time anyway).

I couldn't justify the $75k for a Land cruiser/Lexus, didn't like the BMW/GM/Ford SUVs. I did really like the MB ML and GLs, but my wife didn't feel comfortable driving a Benz.

I have really liked Hondas/Acuras in the past but it seems they really lost their way over the past 10 years. Hopefully they are starting to do better now. We'll see how the MDX ownership goes!

tom
    You're on, loser buys first round at the next auto show we both attend. :shades:

To be honest I have no expectations, just happy that they are fun to watch again.
    Congrats!

The 'beca dates back to 2006, most models have been replaced twice since then.
    Great! When's the next show you're going to go to so I can fly out and get my drink??? :D

It should be a good game. The Redskins look like they have some good potential over then next few years!

tom
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    Huh? What car is on a 3 year refresh cycle? Cosmetic makeovers usually don't even happen that fast, full refresh more like 5-7 years.
    Forester was redone for 2009 and 2014.

Tribeca was a year behind the Outback so should have been redone for 2011, and a refresh now. So it is 1.5 generations behind.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Juice is buying. :sick:

Philly Auto Show is 1/19 thru 1/27.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If juice is buying, I'm in!

Bob
    edited January 2013
    Congrats Tom! She should be very happy with it.

Speaking of new rides, our son David just bought a new AWD BMW X1 with the new 240 hp direct-injection 2.0 4-cylinder turbo and 8-speed automatic. As AJ knows, I really like it. It's sort of a cross between my WRX and the Forester in size. The upscale features and refinement are very seductive, so I can see why he got it. Love the Technology Package which has a huge navigation screen.

Also, BMW has really improved the iDrive system. Once a hated system, it's now one of the better (best?) infotainment units out there.

Bob
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Hi all,

Happy New Year to all the Crew!

My Forester 2006 will be taken over by my daughter (25y.o.) She got a new good job, and really needs her wheels.

I need your advice: should I get outgoing Forester 2013 which dealers already started discounting heavily, or hold off until 2014s arrive?

Did anyone in the Crew try Forester 2014 already?

thanks
    --kate
    I'm upset that they kept RG3 in so long, he was obviously hurt. Too many jerseys left to sell?

This was a preventable injury, really short sighted. The NFL cannot keep doing this.

He should have been yanked when it was 14-13, he was already limping. 2 torn ligaments!

Any how, Seattle played good D so the jig was up.
    I say '14, but we've had luck with a pair of v1.0 Foresters.
    Kate, I sat in a new '14 Forester today! It was a pre-production model, and therefore not for sale. It was at my dealer. It was a loaded Touring model with Eyesight. The production models are still a couple of months away is what my sales guy said.

To answer your question, I would wait for the new model—unless saving money on a '13 model is that important. Either way you'll get a good car. :)

Bob
    edited January 2013
    Kate, is a 6-CD changer important to you? If so, you'll be out of luck with either car. Subaru no longer offers that feature. We found that out the hard way.

There is a work-around however. If you get up-market audio—better still, navigation—you can Bluetooth stream music through your smartphone (if you hard-wire it!), and it will visible (and selectable!) via the cars radio/navigation screen. With the entry-level radio (what we have) you can still stream the music, but you can't access it very well through the radio. You need to pull over and access it via the smartphone—a real hassle!

This lack of a 6-CD changer is an issue with many new cars, not just Subaru. Wish they offered a built-in hard drive in which you can store music, but that's not the case. :(

Bob
    I'm surprised they let him play at all. He's the future of the team and now he's got more injuries. Who knows if he'll ever be 100%

So Juice, ummm, when do I have to fly out? Which car show? ;)
    Thank Bob.

The funny thing is, other companies all have 'improved iDrive' interfaces, so I guess BMW did sort of have a good idea.

Our MDX basically has the same controller- I'm getting used to it and it's becoming easier to use. I just don't know what was wrong with a touch screen though.

tom
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    What's a CD??
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    I have to make an impromptu run to Portland. We'll probably leave tomorrow sometime and plan to be there on Saturday. I haven't seen Nicholas post recently, but if you're around... how's the weather in your neck of the woods?!

As inconvenient as it is, I'm actually looking forward to the trip. January should mean the roads are fairly wide open for much of it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    Bluetooth appears standard on all 2014 Foresters and you shouldn't have to hard wire anything unless you want it plugged in and charging the phone/ipod/ipad. My daughter runs her Ippod Touch via Bluetooth all the time in my '12 Impreza.

Also in place of the CD changer is the USB port. Rip all that old CD music to your computer and place on a USB flash drive. Absolutely hours if not days of music.

--Jay
    Hopefully we cross paths soon. :shades:
    Yeah, I don't get why cars are moving to a mouse-like controllers while computer tech is moving towards touch screens.

I think the best would combine both, a touch screen with a few redundant buttons (tuning, volume) and then maybe redundant steering wheel controls.

What next, BlackBerry-like keyboards in cars?

They're going backwards.
    I know. We have a '14 Forester with the entry-level head unit. And it does work without being hard-wired.

I was complaining to my sales guy yesterday about what a pain in the butt it is changing music in it because I have to go to my iPhone to make different selections (easily). He then told me the basic head unit is pretty limited as to what it can do. If we had the upgraded head unit or the the one with navigation—if you hardwire it—it will display the all music on the screen, and you can make changes via the screen. I can't do that with my basic unit. He said that by hardwiring it, it can stream better than if it's not hardwired.

Bob
    Well, I had heard from (you know who—no the other you know who) who works at Subaru, and he doesn't like touch screens because they're too slow. Plus you get fingerprints all over the screen, which can be a problem in certain lighting conditions. He much prefers knobs of some sort.

Bob
    We have a '14 Forester with the entry-level head unit.

Do you also have a DeLorean? ;)
    edited January 2013
    Haha! Good catch! Make that a '13 Forester...

How's your Bluetooth and Bluetooth Streaming working Dave on your new Impreza?

Bob
    Better touch screens are snappy and quick. It's all about the processing power behind the screens.
    Still doesn't address the fingerprint issue.

Bob
    Was it ever that big of a problem? A micro fiber cloth in the center console would address that.

We should go to the DC Auto Show and time how long it takes to enter a navi address with a touch screen vs. a knob. I guess voice trumps both, when it works.

DC show - Feb 1 to 10, anyone in the area wanna go? Frank? Lucien? Any one else gonna be in the region around then?
    edited January 2013
    Well, he seemed to think it was an issue. I never heard of a micro fiber cloth, and I doubt the average user would either, or would keep one in the car.

Bob
    Don't let Pat here you say that or he'll kick you out of the OCD club forever. ;)
    Hahaha; that's for sure!

Bob, your nearest optometrist probably has a stack of them on their front counter in place of courtesy pens. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2013
    BOB, I have an aftermarket in dash nav unit with touch screen, fingerprints are not an issue, I maybe wipe once a month. Microfibre cloths are common Bob you will have to get out of your cave more often ;)

Cheers Pat.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    I even have one in my Outback. Mostly used for my glasses, but I do use it on the GPS screen now and then. Must have a dozen of them around the house from my eye doc too.
    Signed paperwork for Camelia Red XT Touring 2013. Delivery tomorrow. My heart is racing :blush:
    Happy with the Bluetooth for talking. Haven't used the Bluetooth streaming yet.
    edited January 2013
    Signed paperwork for Camelia Red XT Touring 2013. Delivery tomorrow. My heart is racing.

Nice color!

... says the owner of a 2012 Camellia Red Impreza Sport Limited :shades:

P.S. Currently Camellia Red with a heavy coating of road salt. :sick:
    I saw one of those (Red Impreza) in the parking lot yesterday. It's a sharp-looking car; I love the color.

Congrats on the new Forester, Kate!
    That will be my 4th Forester - should we name it Fourester?
    And it's the 7th Subaru in the family:

Loyale'92
    Loyale'93
    Forester'01
    WRX'04
    Forester'06
    Forester'08
    Fourester'13

0% financing for 63 months is nice, but I was hoping for more incentives. Oh well.
    License Plate: "4ESTER" :)
    Touchscreens don't work terribly well in cold climates and when wearing gloves.
    Congrats, Kate!! It's been quite a few years now. Hear from the rest of the Bay Area gang?
    Yeah, quite a few years passed since we met with the Bay Area Crew... sorry, did not keep up with the BA Crew: I've been traveling a lot on business and did a few consulting gigs in addition to full-time work.
    Congrats. That'll be the last of the big displacement turbos, next year's is down sized.